Lowest Ranked School You Would Attend at Sticker? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
moonman157

Silver

Re: Lowest Ranked School You Would Attend at Sticker?

Post by moonman157 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:45 pm

dingbat wrote:
bk187 wrote:
DaRascal wrote:
moonman157 wrote:Fordham has to be a joke. Unless you're Mitt Romney rich and 200K means nothing to you and it doesn't matter if you fail at becoming a practicing lawyer.
Come on now. Plenty of people go to Fordham at sticker. 8)
That doesn't make it a good idea. For example, plenty of people pay sticker for much lower ranked schools than Fordham.
Fordham is probably the lowest ranked school where one could reasonably argue it might make sense to pay sticker. It's a tenuous argument, but not unreasonable

Disclaimer: it's the lowest ranked school I considered attending; I did choose Fordham, but not at anything resembling sticker

Just out of curiosity, do you have any regrets?

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:07 pm

I've come full circle on this debate, and have decided to attend whichever school will leave me with the greatest debt at graduation, regardless of its rank, so I can reap the greatest reward via IBR. I'm gonna gun for a job in said school's library upon graduation and offer to work at minimum wage, and wear a shit-tastic grin on my face and a sleeveless sweater. I'm also hoping this school will have a large undergrad community to troll and hopefully convince that retaking the LSAT is a waste of time.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:58 pm

moonman157 wrote:
dingbat wrote:
bk187 wrote: That doesn't make it a good idea. For example, plenty of people pay sticker for much lower ranked schools than Fordham.
Fordham is probably the lowest ranked school where one could reasonably argue it might make sense to pay sticker. It's a tenuous argument, but not unreasonable

Disclaimer: it's the lowest ranked school I considered attending; I did choose Fordham, but not at anything resembling sticker
Just out of curiosity, do you have any regrets?
No regrets, just the occasional doubts - but I'd have those regardless of the school I picked, more about the entire venture of quitting a 6 figure job to chase a dream

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:10 pm

Dingbat, I applaud you for chasing that dream. A lot of people around here seem to have really lost out - that's all life is, chasing a dream. So kudos - somewhere on that little vampire bear-dog creature or whatever the fuck it is is a big set of stuffed fluffy balls.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:13 pm

a hipster told me he thought Cooley at sticker would be worth it bc itd be ironic.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:16 pm

justonemoregame wrote:Dingbat, I applaud you for chasing that dream. A lot of people around here seem to have really lost out - that's all life is, chasing a dream. So kudos - somewhere on that little vampire bear-dog creature or whatever the fuck it is is a big set of stuffed fluffy balls.
You made me LOL.
I'd embed this picture (LinkRemoved) but I'm not sure the moderators would approve

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:20 pm

dingbat wrote: Fordham is probably the lowest ranked school where one could reasonably argue it might make sense to pay sticker. It's a tenuous argument, but not unreasonable

Come on, man. Stop screwing with people's lives by recommending Fordham at sticker. Your post makes it sound like you wouldn't consider it.

Fordham places better than its rank because of its location, but cost of living + stingy scholarships + 1/3 chance of good outcome makes it a questionable choice.

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:28 pm

dingbat wrote:
justonemoregame wrote:Dingbat, I applaud you for chasing that dream. A lot of people around here seem to have really lost out - that's all life is, chasing a dream. So kudos - somewhere on that little vampire bear-dog creature or whatever the fuck it is is a big set of stuffed fluffy balls.
You made me LOL.
I'd embed this picture (LinkRemoved) but I'm not sure the moderators would approve

Damn, I want that! Is that weird? It beats the hell out of my flimsy Guinness opener. I found one at my parent's place the other day that was just a beagle's head.

To post something on topic, you guys considering sticker price this year should realize that these prices aren't really "prices" per se, they are really just notions of prices. They are kind of just concepts of what law school should probably cost in a world where people made a lot more money. But, our government realizes that it's all just a game, and that's why they've all agreed to let other people pay your debt for you in case you are unable. It's paper money folks, the final figures are irrelevant.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:29 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:
dingbat wrote: Fordham is probably the lowest ranked school where one could reasonably argue it might make sense to pay sticker. It's a tenuous argument, but not unreasonable

Come on, man. Stop screwing with people's lives by recommending Fordham at sticker. Your post makes it sound like you wouldn't consider it.

Fordham places better than its rank because of its location, but cost of living + stingy scholarships + 1/3 chance of good outcome makes it a questionable choice.
Note that I'm not recommending Fordham at sticker, but saying that an argument can be made for it. I'm also being upfront about the fact that I'm attending at scholarship.
Just to be clear, I did not consider Fordham at sticker, nor did I consider brooklyn/dozo for free. I also would not attend most of the T14 at sticker (and only would have attended 2 schools at full price). However, I am appreciable of the fact that an argument can be made for Fordham at sticker. I don't know if there's any lower ranked school where it could be a reasonable argument, except BYU, or some cheap state schools.
From a purely financial perspective, however, there are many more which have a net positive expected return on a probabilistic expected cash flow basis. But we're not just talking about money, we're talking about people's lives, and so I set the bar a bit higher than purely economic outcomes

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:31 pm

In theory YHS. In practice, T20.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:35 pm

justonemoregame wrote:
dingbat wrote:
You made me LOL.

Damn, I want that! Is that weird? It beats the hell out of my flimsy Guinness opener. I found one at my parent's place the other day that was just a beagle's head.

To post something on topic, you guys considering sticker price this year should realize that these prices aren't really "prices" per se, they are really just notions of prices. They are kind of just concepts of what law school should probably cost in a world where people made a lot more money. But, our government realizes that it's all just a game, and that's why they've all agreed to let other people pay your debt for you in case you are unable. It's paper money folks, the final figures are irrelevant.
I've got one. It's awesome - although plenty of people are grossed out by it.

As for sticker, an interesting statistic to look at is how many people pay sticker and how many get a discount.

domori

New

Post by domori » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:44 pm

BMVP

perfecttender

New

Post by perfecttender » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:41 am

I attended with a full scholarship. To be honest, I would not attend law school paying full price. I was admitted to a T14 for full sticker. I was up every night weighing the pros and cons. Eventually, I could not do it. I went to a school that offered full scholarship.

After graduating and practicing for two months, I can tell you that it would be tough to keep practicing long enough to pay off all the debts.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ajax

Bronze

Post by ajax » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:24 am

dingbat wrote:
bk187 wrote:
DaRascal wrote:
moonman157 wrote:Fordham has to be a joke. Unless you're Mitt Romney rich and 200K means nothing to you and it doesn't matter if you fail at becoming a practicing lawyer.
Come on now. Plenty of people go to Fordham at sticker. 8)
That doesn't make it a good idea. For example, plenty of people pay sticker for much lower ranked schools than Fordham.

Fordham is not even close to a good idea at sticker.

I noticed you stated an argument can be made for Fordham at sticker. I'd like to hear it please.

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:13 pm

Sticker? Harvard, MAYBE Columbia.

Hoocheez

New

Post by Hoocheez » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:36 pm

MVPB and N

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:49 pm

To answer the question, I would have considered any of the T14 at sticker, but now I won't be paying sticker for any school with the exception of Harvard and maybe Columbia

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hume85

Silver

Post by hume85 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:56 pm

moonman157 wrote:To answer the question, I would have considered any of the T14 at sticker, but now I won't be paying sticker for any school with the exception of Harvard and maybe Columbia
I'd attend anywhere in the T14 but Georgetown at sticker, but I also have someone paying for most of my COA. If I had to borrow the sticker price then I would only attend YSHCC, and I'd be nervous about CC.

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:35 pm

HYSC, but the employment data we have on these schools is getting pretty stale.

edit: Also, this thread, plus that full-rides over HYS one, is good evidence that very few people on TLS still see C and N as peers.

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:50 pm

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:11 pm

If you're a liberal arts major I'd take any t14 at sticker.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:14 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:If you're a liberal arts major I'd take any t14 at sticker.
It hurts because of the truth in it. Still think most schools at sticker are a bad bet, though.

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:36 pm

I have never understood what makes NYU so special. They seem overrated. It almost seems like a circular argument: We are a special and awesome school, because we say we are a special and awesome school. If they were not located in NYC, I bet they wouldn't be as highly ranked.

CatFacts

New

Post by CatFacts » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:55 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:If you're a liberal arts major I'd take any t14 at sticker.
This. Currently unemployed, been living off rapidly dwindling savings for months, impressed by anyone who makes $35k+ a year.

Gold

Post by 04102014 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:01 pm

Lawquacious wrote:In theory YHS. In practice, T20.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”