Evaluating T3 Scholarship Offer Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Doorkeeper

Gold

Re: Evaluating T3 Scholarship Offer

Post by Doorkeeper » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:01 pm

seancris wrote: @Doorkeeper, that is an extremely helpful link. Will take a second look at GWU given those scholly numbers. Thanks!

What do you all think about the LST employment numbers being roughly equal? I hear a lot of negativity about Stetson due to the low ranking, but at the end of the day they seem to produce a similar number of grads getting full-time JD required work.

"Worst decision of your life" doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me when these numbers indicate that the end result - the employment picture - is the same and the debt level is a non-issue.
The employment picture is not the same from all law schools. The schools in the top 14 have a much better employment rate. Stetson has a 53% JD-required employment, but UVA has a 95% employment rate. Duke has an 82% employment rate. Northwestern has a 76% employment rate. Not only that, but the employment opportunities for those who do get a job are much better.

Instead of targeting your applications to only the schools that you think you'll get a big scholarship at, you should apply very broadly amongst the T14 schools and see which ones give you scholarships. Once you have multiple scholarship offers, you can then bargain scholarships between the different schools to increase the amount.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:11 pm

seancris wrote:
SBL wrote:You should be looking at money from Miami or Florida State too.

If you're fine with the limited options, then it's hard to beat going to law school for free. Like someone said, the stip doesn't matter in this case, because if you end 1L less than top-half at Stetson you'd need to drop out anyhow.
Thanks.

Miami's stips are rediculous (top 25%, I think), and I've heard they stack sections. I've avoided them on that basis.

Can anyone comment on how predictive numbers are of LS success? I'm 0.7 GPA points above median, and around 10 LSAT points above median. If they're predictive at all, wouldn't this suggest a high chance of success?
You statistically have a better than even chance of doing well, but it is not a good enough predictor that you should bet any large amount of money on it, especially because you are debt averse.

Still apply to Miami. You won't know about the TTT stips until you see them in writing and you can always negotiate. 20 bucks is a small price to pay to have the option.

Also props to you for feeling fishy about paying 200k to bank on not paying it back. You should feel weird about that. That doesn't mean you shouldn't consider it as a viable option, because it might be. But as a plan A I'd be careful.

2012Split177

New

Post by 2012Split177 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:44 am

Hey OP - just saw this thread - I remember you from the WM thread.

Coincidentally a friend of a friend of mine is a prosecutor down in Miami-Dade, and graduated 2010 from W&L. They're a great school and I know both my friend and his friend the prosecutor really enjoyed their time there, and all their friends got jobs too. Get yourself some big money from at least a Top 30 - there's no reason they shouldn't be clamoring for your perfect GPA and totally good LSAT.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”