Smiles per Dollar: A Qualitative Analysis of Law Schools

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

How much more would you pay to have a T14 degree on the wall than a T2 without better employment?

T14 smiles worth nothing
43
38%
T14 smiles worth up to 10,000$
11
10%
T14 smiles worth 10,001$ - 25,000$
11
10%
T14 smiles worth 25,001$ - 50,000$
3
3%
T14 smiles worth 50,001$ - 75,000$
4
4%
T14 smiles worth 75,001$ - 100,000$
10
9%
T14 smiles worth 100,001$ - 150,000$
6
5%
T14 smiles worth 150,001$ - 200,000$
4
4%
T14 smiles worth 200,001$ - 300,000$
4
4%
T14 smiles priceless
16
14%
 
Total votes: 112

User avatar
banjo
Posts: 1345
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:00 pm

Re: Smiles per Dollar: A Qualitative Analysis of Law Schools

Postby banjo » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:32 pm

My parents would be stupidly happy to see HLS or CLS on my wall, and I'd be willing to pay some non-zero amount for that. Beyond that, what's the point? My friends already know I'm good at tests, and attractive women won't really care that I went to a T14 law school.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: Smiles per Dollar: A Qualitative Analysis of Law Schools

Postby sinfiery » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:42 pm

banjo wrote:attractive women won't really care that I went to a T14 law school.

:lol:


DAT HLS LAYMAN PRESTIGE.

User avatar
gguuueessttt
Posts: 473
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:18 pm

Re: Smiles per Dollar: A Qualitative Analysis of Law Schools

Postby gguuueessttt » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:50 pm

sinfiery wrote:
banjo wrote:attractive women won't really care that I went to a T14 law school.

:lol:


DAT HLS LAYMAN PRESTIGE.


most of my female friends would not be attracted to someone just because they went to HLS. They might be attracted to that person if that person is ALSO good looking, funny, and charming. But HLS alone will likely not attract many women.

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: Smiles per Dollar: A Qualitative Analysis of Law Schools

Postby sinfiery » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:54 pm

gguuueessttt wrote:
sinfiery wrote:
banjo wrote:attractive women won't really care that I went to a T14 law school.

:lol:


DAT HLS LAYMAN PRESTIGE.


They might be attracted to that person if that person is ALSO good looking, funny, and charming. But HLS alone will likely not attract many women.

Man, it's hard out there these days.

User avatar
gguuueessttt
Posts: 473
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:18 pm

Re: Smiles per Dollar: A Qualitative Analysis of Law Schools

Postby gguuueessttt » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:57 pm

sinfiery wrote:
gguuueessttt wrote:
sinfiery wrote:
banjo wrote:attractive women won't really care that I went to a T14 law school.

:lol:


DAT HLS LAYMAN PRESTIGE.


They might be attracted to that person if that person is ALSO good looking, funny, and charming. But HLS alone will likely not attract many women.

Man, it's hard out there these days.


hahaha well some people like silly meatheads, some people don't care about the prestige of a school at all, and a few girls I know only like to date guys who are less intelligent than they are. there are no absolutes, sinf. you can't win 'em all!

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: Smiles per Dollar: A Qualitative Analysis of Law Schools

Postby sinfiery » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:59 pm

gguuueessttt wrote:
hahaha well some people like silly meatheads, some people don't care about the prestige of a school at all, and a few girls I know only like to date guys who are less intelligent than they are. there are no absolutes, sinf. you can't win 'em all!

oh well, it only takes 1 :)

User avatar
gguuueessttt
Posts: 473
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:18 pm

Re: Smiles per Dollar: A Qualitative Analysis of Law Schools

Postby gguuueessttt » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:08 pm

sinfiery wrote:
gguuueessttt wrote:
hahaha well some people like silly meatheads, some people don't care about the prestige of a school at all, and a few girls I know only like to date guys who are less intelligent than they are. there are no absolutes, sinf. you can't win 'em all!

oh well, it only takes 1 :)


or 2 if you're into that sort of thing!

noobishned
Posts: 94
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:17 pm

Re: Smiles per Dollar: A Qualitative Analysis of Law Schools

Postby noobishned » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:14 pm

It is interesting that a lot of people ITT who regularly tell people to choose YSH over other schools with $$$ are contradicting themselves now.

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: Smiles per Dollar: A Qualitative Analysis of Law Schools

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:16 pm

gguuueessttt wrote:
sinfiery wrote:
banjo wrote:attractive women won't really care that I went to a T14 law school.

:lol:


DAT HLS LAYMAN PRESTIGE.


most of my female friends would not be attracted to someone just because they went to HLS. They might be attracted to that person if that person is ALSO good looking, funny, and charming. But HLS alone will likely not attract many women.

RELEVANT STORY

User avatar
sinfiery
Posts: 3308
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:55 am

Re: Smiles per Dollar: A Qualitative Analysis of Law Schools

Postby sinfiery » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:37 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:RELEVANT STORY

For a moment there I thought he was a Casanova

hilarious story

User avatar
gguuueessttt
Posts: 473
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:18 pm

Re: Smiles per Dollar: A Qualitative Analysis of Law Schools

Postby gguuueessttt » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:47 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
gguuueessttt wrote:
sinfiery wrote:
banjo wrote:attractive women won't really care that I went to a T14 law school.

:lol:


DAT HLS LAYMAN PRESTIGE.


most of my female friends would not be attracted to someone just because they went to HLS. They might be attracted to that person if that person is ALSO good looking, funny, and charming. But HLS alone will likely not attract many women.

RELEVANT STORY


Looking back, my first boyfriend in college was simultaneously the hottest and creepiest guy I've ever dated. Shit is rare but it happens.

ETA: But he wasn't super smart and definitely did not go to HLS so YMMV.

User avatar
red8aron
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 6:35 pm

Re: Smiles per Dollar: A Qualitative Analysis of Law Schools

Postby red8aron » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:43 pm

Interestingly, if you assume median values for each polling response and 300,000 for the priceless category, then TSL's mean value for a T14 is 73,705.88$.

That is surprisingly close to a half the price of tuition for T-14 schools.

This is a bit skewed because the median is significantly lower (5,000$) but its still an interesting statistic.

User avatar
dextermorgan
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 am

Re: Smiles per Dollar: A Qualitative Analysis of Law Schools

Postby dextermorgan » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:40 pm

noobishned wrote:It is interesting that a lot of people ITT who regularly tell people to choose YSH over other schools with $$$ are contradicting themselves now.

No, because the OP's hypo assumes that the graduates will end up in the same job. A HYS grad will probably not end up in the same job as a TTTT grad.

User avatar
The Brainalist
Posts: 317
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:12 pm

Re: Smiles per Dollar: A Qualitative Analysis of Law Schools

Postby The Brainalist » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:07 am

I think I've seen your dad on TV
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUCZXn9RZ9s

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: Smiles per Dollar: A Qualitative Analysis of Law Schools

Postby Lawquacious » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:00 am

Hate this thread title ("smiles") TBH, and same with survey...

That said, I disagree with others who have said that there is no value of a top school over a mediocre school if it gets you the same job (all other things equal). IMO this is a simple-minded classical econ view of the hypothetical and is inadequate (ie looking at the payment of tuition and the payment of job afterward as the only relevant factors); there are in fact intangible benefits (sigh... what you call "smiles" I suppose) to attending a top school. The education itself is in fact superior, and your peers will generally be intellectually superior to the average student at a much lower-ranked school. Is that a sufficient reason to go to the better school--if you have a large scholly at the lesser school and it is in a location you want to practice? By no means; but if all other things are equal you would be foolish to go to the lesser school even if you could be guaranteed the same job once you graduate. Law school is not only about the first job you get afterward, although that is obviously an important consideration.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 5 guests