Wait a few years and go to law school for free or go now?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
GOR

Wait a few years and go to law school for free or go now?

Postby GOR » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:01 pm

Hey everyone,

I currently work at a state university with a TT part-time evening program that I could attend for free since I'm a university employee. My stats, while not great by TLS standards, are good enough to get me in. However, the law school is separate from the main campus and my schedule won't accommodate me going. I really would like to attend law school, but I'm deathly afraid of acquiring the debt that goes with it since the job market is crap. Plus, I have a decent job making close to $60k, and I've grown accustomed to a certain standard of living and don't want to have to live like a broke college kid again. My boss will be retiring in just over 4 years, and I'm a shoe-in for his position, and he gets out at 3 pm every day, which would allow me to make it to class at night. I'd rather not wait the 4-5 years to attend, and I'm also looking to transfer to a new position within the university that has a better schedule to fit my goal of attending law school sooner, but let's say that I could attend for free no later than 2016. My biggest issue is that I'm going to be 30 soon, and if I were to wait 4-5 years, I'd be nearly 40 upon graduation, but I'd be debt-free and I'd be saving $$ the whole time. On the other hand, if I left my job and attended somewhere next fall, I could potentially be paying back loans until I'm 50 with the real possibility that I'd be making less than I would be if I stayed at my current job. I'm contemplating going back for an MBA in the meantime since that would also be free, and I could work that into my schedule, but to be honest, I'm not that interested in an MBA. Any thoughts/opinions? Thanks.

cinephile

Re: Wait a few years and go to law school for free or go now?

Postby cinephile » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:52 pm

Wait a few years.

Pumpkin_Pie

Postby Pumpkin_Pie » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:43 pm

Absolutely wait.

EllaLemry

Postby EllaLemry » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:53 pm

The market is booming! You're going to miss your chance. If there's anyway to do a two-year program. Do it.

Sarcasm aside, you're in a good situation. It sort of seems like the answer should be obvious if you've read up on...anything? Don't let the age thing freak you out. Plenty of people go into the law older. Honestly, if you look 25 at 35, I would legitimately say you'd better off than the person who looks 35 at 25--just from a hiring perspective.

In 5 or 6 years, the profession may still be in huge trouble, but enough will have changed that you'll have clear picture about what you want to do (e.g. enrollment has dropped substantially, salaries are stagnant but you're more likely to get a job...)

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:03 am

It might not be a good idea to get the MBA, but I would definitely try to take advantage of taking a class every semester or what have you. I don't think any future career or degree program would look down on you for being intellectually curious and taking classes and I think it would be fun.

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:14 am

paratactical wrote:It might not be a good idea to get the MBA, but I would definitely try to take advantage of taking a class every semester or what have you. I don't think any future career or degree program would look down on you for being intellectually curious and taking classes and I think it would be fun.

And you might just find something you enjoy.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:55 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GOR

Postby GOR » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:23 pm

rebexness wrote:If you are making 60K now, how much will you be making when your boss retires (assuming you get that job)?
Would that make it worth not going at all?

I think you should either wait and go PT, or wait and not go at all.

My immediate boss makes just over $70k, so it wouldn't be a huge increase, and being a government job, the position has a defined salary range, which probably isn't much more than that. I think it would be somewhat safe to expect that pay in 4-5 years. The pros are that it is a fairly easy and stress-free job most of the time, the benefits are great as a state employee, and outside of 4-5 weeks out of the year, it's no more than a 37.5 hour/week job. I know that the right decision for me is to stick it out at my job and wait, but I guess the thing I'm mostly worried about is if I want to start a family some time before I'm 40, it will be damn near impossible working 40 hours a week while taking classes 4 nights a week and studying. I have a tough enough time living on $60k a year without any dependents or wife (granted I could probably cut back on a few luxuries here or there), and I definitely wouldn't want to add over $100k in debt into the equation. Rebexness, to answer your question, being that I'll probably have the opportunity to go for free somewhere down the line, I'd go regardless of how much I might be making. If I were paying sticker, that would be a different story.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”