Full-rides you'd turn down HYS-sticker for (poll included)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Lowest-ranked Full-ride you'd turn down HYS at sticker for

Columbia
17%
Chicago
12%
NYU
12%
Berkeley
10%
U-Penn
9%
UVA
7%
Michigan
8%
Duke
7%
Northwestern
8%
Georgetown/Cornell
10%

Total votes: 972

Fitz51

Re: Full-rides you'd turn down HYS-sticker for (poll included)

Postby Fitz51 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:06 pm

Wormfather wrote:Dont all the apps ask if you're deferring from another school you've ED'd to?

You can't get accepted ED, defer, and apply other places. ED contracts prohibit initiating new apps after acceptance.

OP's only choice is to forfeit his offer from NU, sit out the cycle, and apply next year.

Postby 20130312 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:17 pm

Fitz51 wrote:
Wormfather wrote:Dont all the apps ask if you're deferring from another school you've ED'd to?

You can't get accepted ED, defer, and apply other places. ED contracts prohibit initiating new apps after acceptance.

OP's only choice is to forfeit his offer from NU, sit out the cycle, and apply next year.

ED contract will still be enforceable next year.

Fitz51

Postby Fitz51 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:21 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
Fitz51 wrote:

ED contract will still be enforceable next year.

Then insert "beg for NU's mercy" somewhere in there.

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:23 pm

Um, TCR is probably to just go to NW.

Postby 20130312 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:25 pm

Elston Gunn wrote:Um, TCR is probably to just go to NW.

Fucking this.

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:27 pm

Skye wrote:I was in a similar situation and decided on Penn. Columbia was temping but the NYC COL wasn’t. Logically, (employment wise) if you are going to end up in the same place (ala $160K) isn’t it better to do so without carrying a hefty debt? After all, we’re not talking first class versus coach, we’re talking about a solid discount on your first class ticket. Just saying. ..

The problem is that you don't know where you'll end up until you're there. The true winners are the people who go to TTs for free and land biglaw, but I would still take CLS at half scholarship than Fordham at a full ride. I think that's the point of this whole thread (how much the risk factor is worth in dollar terms).

Fitz51

Postby Fitz51 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:36 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:

Fucking this.

But it doesn't sound like he wants to go to NU anymore. If OP is gonna have regrets and doubts throughout the entire experience, he should do what he wants. SHOULD OP have regrets? Probably not in the whole spectrum of the situation.

Skye

Postby Skye » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:06 am

moonman157 wrote:
Skye wrote:I was in a similar situation and decided on Penn. Columbia was temping but the NYC COL wasn’t. Logically, (employment wise) if you are going to end up in the same place (ala $160K) isn’t it better to do so without carrying a hefty debt? After all, we’re not talking first class versus coach, we’re talking about a solid discount on your first class ticket. Just saying. ..

The true winners are the people who go to TTs for free and land biglaw . . .

True, but very chancy (especially since we are still not totally out of the ITE woods yet.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:23 am

Originally I said Boalt, but after seeing pictures of Michigan (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=120572&p=3766984#p3766984) I would totally go there with a full ride.

M458

Postby M458 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:03 am

Fitz51 wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:

Fucking this.

But it doesn't sound like he wants to go to NU anymore. If OP is gonna have regrets and doubts throughout the entire experience, he should do what he wants. SHOULD OP have regrets? Probably not in the whole spectrum of the situation.

Nah, I do still want to go and even if I had full-rides to other places, the only other schools I'd truly consider would be Yale or full-ride at CC. I guess I just feel like I didn't maximize my cycle--probably left some money on the table at the end of the day by applying even with the 50k/year (I hope that's the highest NU gives out in scholarship money; if someone ends up getting more RD then I will feel worse about it). Just truly running the full numbers now and making a budget now and it reinforces just how INSANELY expensive school is. I would never want to even open up the door for the possibility of this leading to a shit-storm w/ admissions there, so I don't think it's worth to withdraw or even ask for more money. Guess I'll cross my fingers that tuition doesn't go up too much...ha!

mls

Postby mls » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:58 pm

I notice that nobody has mentioned the other perks that come with some of the scholarships, such as funded summer internships, alumni networks, and faculty mentoring. Maybe I'm just a victim of propaganda, but I imagine CCN does not let their named scholarship recipients graduate without at least one good job offer.

az21833

Postby az21833 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:22 pm

why is there no option for hys sticker over hamilton on this poll?

jselson

Postby jselson » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:11 am

I really want to do clerkship/appellate litigation route, so I'd do HYS over anything else.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:57 am

jselson wrote:I really want to do clerkship/appellate litigation route, so I'd do HYS over anything else.

As someone headed into appellate work from HYS (since there's no real shield here...I go to SLS), I would absolutely take a full ride at any of the T-10 over sticker here at SLS. I don't think that anyone here really, truly considers how stifling 230k can be...

I have loved, absolutely loved my time here at SLS, but had I not gotten need-based aid, I probably would've been at another school. Had I not gotten my scholarship, I certainly would've taken the money at Northwestern (full) or Michigan (2/3) instead of spending the full boat to come to SLS. There are a lot of opportunities that SLS (similarly, that YLS and HLS) open - but the sheer flexibility you get from having little debt at a T-10 is almost certainly worth it.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”