HYS vs. full-ride at Top 14s

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
hdivine

HYS vs. full-ride at Top 14s

Postby hdivine » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:20 pm

The headline says it all. I've been admitted to Harvard, and I have also been offered a full-ride at UVA. Would it be worth turning down Harvard (and Yale and Stanford, if I get in) for a full-tuition scholarship at a mid-ranked 14er like UVA? How about for a full-tuition scholarship at Columbia, Chicago, or NYU?

From what I have been able to confer, at this moment I would be less like to turn Yale or Stanford down due to their more generous LRAP programs. The difficulty is that while I am intrigued by public interest law, I'm open to many different law directions. I've seen a lot of people suggest HYS, hands down; however, I have no substantial assets (personal or familial) that I can use to pay for law school. How do students even find lenders for $75k/year loans?

Re: HYS vs. full-ride at Top 14s

Postby 2014 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:34 pm

If you have low assets and your parents do too, Harvard could give you up to like 31k/year in need based aid which makes the decision a lot easier. So most likely you will be sitting on both offers until your Harvard need reward comes in.

Hypothetically if you are truly paying sticker at H and your best alternative is a full ride at V, most people would be better off with H but it depends on your career goals. A full ride to CCN against sticker at H is tougher, and I'd say most people are better off with CCN in that case, again it depends on your career goals. Fact is that all of these are good options and you aren't going to be criticized for taking any one them.

M458

Postby M458 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:35 pm

hdivine wrote:The headline says it all. I've been admitted to Harvard, and I have also been offered a full-ride at UVA. Would it be worth turning down Harvard (and Yale and Stanford, if I get in) for a full-tuition scholarship at a mid-ranked 14er like UVA? How about for a full-tuition scholarship at Columbia, Chicago, or NYU?

From what I have been able to confer, at this moment I would be less like to turn Yale or Stanford down due to their more generous LRAP programs. The difficulty is that while I am intrigued by public interest law, I'm open to many different law directions. I've seen a lot of people suggest HYS, hands down; however, I have no substantial assets (personal or familial) that I can use to pay for law school. How do students even find lenders for $75k/year loans?

Wait until you have the financial aid offer from Harvard before you make the decision. You're still going to have to borrow for COL at UVA it seems, and that can add up ($20k a year at least I'd estimate). Once you know exactly how much debt you'll be in if you go to Harvard you can run the numbers and see what the difference actually is in real $ terms.

TrialLawyer16

Postby TrialLawyer16 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:38 pm

Make a poll and title it "Lowest-ranked Full-ride you'd turn down HYS at sticker for" or something to that effect and list the other 11 T-14s, separately if possible. You may have to combine say Gtown/Cornell, etc., if you run out of space. You can also add a "(Poll included)" in the subject header to attract more voters.

The poll really only makes sense if we're talking about HYS at sticker because their financial aid packages can be pretty substantial (~80-90kish).

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:45 pm

It totally depends on what you want to do.

Biglaw? Take a full ride at CCN in a second.

Public Interest? Take a full ride at CCN.

Politics/Policy Work in DC? HYS.

Academia? HYS.

Also, wait until you hear financial aid from all of your schools before making a decision.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:31 pm

It's really a personal decision that should mainly be based on your career goals.

Having to hustle for grades and jobs is scary at a lower T14.

Having to hustle for LRAP work or big law to pay off loans is scary at HYS.

hdivine

Postby hdivine » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:47 pm

TrialLawyer16 wrote:Make a poll and title it "Lowest-ranked Full-ride you'd turn down HYS at sticker for" or something to that effect and list the other 11 T-14s, separately if possible. You may have to combine say Gtown/Cornell, etc., if you run out of space. You can also add a "(Poll included)" in the subject header to attract more voters.

The poll really only makes sense if we're talking about HYS at sticker because their financial aid packages can be pretty substantial (~80-90kish).

Thanks for the advice. I created a poll here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=198734

TrialLawyer16

Postby TrialLawyer16 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:33 pm

hdivine wrote:
TrialLawyer16 wrote:Make a poll and title it "Lowest-ranked Full-ride you'd turn down HYS at sticker for" or something to that effect and list the other 11 T-14s, separately if possible. You may have to combine say Gtown/Cornell, etc., if you run out of space. You can also add a "(Poll included)" in the subject header to attract more voters.

No prob. Looks good, one thing I forgot to suggest though - a "None" option for people who would pick HYS sticker over any full-ride lol. Ahh well.

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:54 am

hdivine wrote:

Perfect. And as you now have that thread up and going, I'll close this one.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”