University of Tenn, Knox. - how to get in-state tuition?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
MrNiceGuy35

University of Tenn, Knox. - how to get in-state tuition?

Postby MrNiceGuy35 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:50 pm

I'm seriously considering UTK as an option, but can't help but wish for in-state tuition. I've read through their in-state requirements and it seems pretty difficult to establish "residency" there. Has anyone done it successfully? Under what circumstances? I do have family there, I'm married and have a kid (so would be considered "independent,") and grew up in a neighboring state (NC.)

deadpanic

Re: University of Tenn, Knox. - how to get in-state tuition?

Postby deadpanic » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:03 am

This is just anecdotal, so take it FWIW, but I think you're right in that it is extremely difficult to do. You need to have TN ties (i.e. grew up there your whole life and then just moved out of state for college). Your best option is probably to try to move there for a year, work & establish residency and that way you can have it all 3 years.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:48 pm

Per their policy two years ago, just have your wife get any job in TN and you will become a resident. Easy.

MrNiceGuy35

Postby MrNiceGuy35 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:33 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:Per their policy two years ago, just have your wife get any job in TN and you will become a resident. Easy.

That is a possibility for my situation...would it really work though? Their website indicates that if you move there within a few months before enrollment to a school, then it's unlikely they'll give resident status.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:36 pm

MrNiceGuy35 wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:Per their policy two years ago, just have your wife get any job in TN and you will become a resident. Easy.

That is a possibility for my situation...would it really work though? Their website indicates that if you move there within a few months before enrollment to a school, then it's unlikely they'll give resident status.

I was told this directly by admissions. This was two years ago, so I'd call and ask, but that was the deal then. I considered this school because of that policy-- I was out of state and they gave me in-state plus $$$ based on the above described rule.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”