what does an mba do... Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Yankees1404

New

what does an mba do...

Post by Yankees1404 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:50 pm

So, I am taking the June in LSAT. I have not really thought about how badly I'd like to work in "biglaw". For people with experience in obtaining a job for that kind of firm...can an MBA from a respected business school make up the difference that you attended a tier 2 LS instead of tier 1? For example, I am shooting/hoping for the opportunity of close to a full ride from St. John's. Say I get into fordham at sticker price. I realize, in the nyc market, to have a realistic shot at biglaw in nyc i'll probably need to be top 5% at st johns and top 25% at fordham. But...if i attend St. John's and just do well but not stellar, and then attend business school...is the option still there for biglaw? I know this is a hard question to answer, but if anybody could offer insight on the value of an MBA for tier 2 students catching up to tier 1 students in the corporate law environment itd be appreciated. Trust me, i realize how far off all of this is...but I want to go into LS with all sorts of options

Yankees1404

New

Re: what does an mba do...

Post by Yankees1404 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:00 pm

Also...how important is work experience when applying for the joint degree JD/MBA? I know that work experience is crucial for straight up bus school...but is there less emphasis placed on real world experience when applying joint degree?

Yankees1404

New

Post by Yankees1404 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:05 pm

i have read the article on here about the program, but just wondering if anybody had specific advice ...

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:37 pm

1) No.
2) Even T1 grads don't generally get biglaw.
3) 95% of all law school grads don't get biglaw.
4) Crap JD + Crap MBA != gud job.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:59 pm

An MBA is probably the most misunderstood degree.
While it might gain entry for certain jobs, that's not what it teaches you.

If you get into an M7 business school, great, that can help you get a job. Otherwise, it doesn't help a 25 year old kid get a job because most of the jobs that require MBAs also require work experience.

What an MBA teaches you is not the basic skills for entry-level jobs (except maybe consulting). It teaches what a mid-career professional would need to know to go from middle-management to a senior position.

So, unless you get into a top school, or you're already on a good career track, you should not get an MBA. An MBA from a less than stellar school goes not get you a job.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LSTfan

New

Post by LSTfan » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:58 pm

Last edited by LSTfan on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:26 pm

LSTfan wrote:To put is another way, a non-M7 MBA would get you as much as a non-T1 JD.
FTFY

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:34 pm

dingbat wrote:
LSTfan wrote:To put is another way, a non-M7 MBA would get you as much as a non-T1 JD.
FTFY
That's one of the largest exaggerations I have seen on tls.com, and I have seen posters claim that they expect to get big law from a non-HYS T14.

DoctorShawHi

New

Post by DoctorShawHi » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:58 pm

A non-M7 degree is nothing like a non-T1 degree.

People that get MBAs are usually adults with careers. They could get jobs regardless because they possess job skills, unlike law students. It might not be the 160k ticket, but it isn't the resume killer a JD is

Besides, law is weird in that so many people start at 160k then drop to 100k. For an MBA I dont imagine that happens a lot. I bet for a non-M7 at it goes like this 70k > 85k > 95k > 110k > 130k > 160k > 401k > death

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:32 pm

DoctorShawHi wrote:A non-M7 degree is nothing like a non-T1 degree.

People that get MBAs are usually adults with careers. They could get jobs regardless because they possess job skills, unlike law students. It might not be the 160k ticket, but it isn't the resume killer a JD is

Besides, law is weird in that so many people start at 160k then drop to 100k. For an MBA I dont imagine that happens a lot. I bet for a non-M7 at it goes like this 70k > 85k > 95k > 110k > 130k > 160k > 401k > death
The point I was trying to make (badly, apparently) is that an MBA doesn't do any good for someone fresh out of college. It's a tool for taking your career to the next level.
It also really should not be used as an entry to get a job and most jobs that one can get by having an MBA also require related work experience

ruthevans41

New

Post by ruthevans41 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:39 am

I agree with everyone, the MBA will not help make up for the experience you would gain in law school. That said, an MBA is a good way to broaden your horizons. Say you don't want to do law in 20 years. What options would you have if you only had a law degree? I went to Babson College in Boston and the MBA I received led me to a few different managerial jobs in completely different industries.

Ave

Bronze

Post by Ave » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:45 am

ruthevans41 wrote:I agree with everyone, the MBA will not help make up for the experience you would gain in law school. That said, an MBA is a good way to broaden your horizons. Say you don't want to do law in 20 years. What options would you have if you only had a law degree? I went to Babson College in Boston and the MBA I received led me to a few different managerial jobs in completely different industries.
There are plenty of CEOs without an MBA (some with JDs). MBA is not necessary for business and management.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:41 am

DoctorShawHi wrote:A non-M7 degree is nothing like a non-T1 degree.

i see what you did there..

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”