7yrs USAF enlisted contemplating going to law school

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
SgtShammy

7yrs USAF enlisted contemplating going to law school

Postby SgtShammy » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:39 pm

So, I've been enlisted for the past 7+ years (currently an E-5). I have the option of ending my service term Feb 2014. I'm seriously contemplating attempting law school, and later I'll apply for a JAG slot. (No, there are no enlisted-to-JAG programs, and yes, I've looked into the enlisted-to-officer programs already.) I attended Ashford Univeristy (online regionally accredited school). Also, before my enlistment is over I was thinking about taking an LSAT prep course. It's about 3 months long (2-3 days a week), and I would take the LSAT June 2013. I'm scared to get out of the military though, because my life ($$$) is so stable. I'm married without kids (and I refuse to have any), and my parents would help me financially, but I'm still wary. I'm used to being the one making the money and having the stable job. I contemplated going Guard or Reserve part time simply to have some stable money coming in while going to school- and to have a back up plan in case things don't work out.

My questions:
My major GPA is 3.75 and my cumulative GPA is 3.59. Which is my "real" GPA?
Do you think law schools will look down on the fact that I attended college online?
The LSAT prep course is $1,450 do you think it's worth it? http://www.testmasters.net/LsatPrep
What would my chances be at getting into law school? (If I get a good enough LSAT score, I'm going to apply to pretty much ALL of them; starting with Yale and going down the list.) Also- I'm an adopted Korean female and decorated service member. I have outstanding volunteer hours, and I'm a certified EMT (I got EMT cert'd because I got bored, although due to TDYs and deployments I haven't been able to utilize this certification).
Would it be too hard to hold down a part-time job while attending law school? What about a full time job?
How many hours a day and a week do you put into studying?
How many hours are you in class per week?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

cansohei11

Re: 7yrs USAF enlisted contemplating going to law school

Postby cansohei11 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:42 pm

I can't answer all of your questions, but your "real" GPA for law schools will be your cumulative GPA plus the grades from any classes you took at any other institutions that administered college level courses for credit.

As to the online degree's effect on admissions, I have no idea. It may be a ding, maybe not. I suspect that it won't be a problem at most schools.

Taking an LSAT course can help you out with the test if you are not good at studying on your own. I didn't take a course, but I don't know if it would have helped me score higher or not. If you are working full time, it may be a good move. You should be able to find one in your area, just make sure that it is a reputable one.

Not sure if Korean counts as a URM, it may. Assuming you got a decent LSAT score [160+], there would be absolutely no need to apply anywhere outside of the T50 with a GPA like yours.

Separating from the military is tough. My dad was in the MC for over 20 years, and only left when it became clear that he couldn't advance any further as an NCO. Stability is attractive, especially in this economy.

I'm sure others will chime in. Good luck, and thank you for your service!
Last edited by cansohei11 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:43 pm

cansohei11 wrote:Not sure if Korean counts as a URM, it may.

It doesn't.

Ex Cearulo

Postby Ex Cearulo » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:58 pm

SgtShammy,

Welcome to TLS! I've been in the AF for a little over 6 years now; I'm trying to switch into the JAG program.

Couple things to help you out:
- This probably isn't the forum you want to start in. "Choosing a Law School" is more for people who have been admitted to several law schools and are looking for information to help them decide which to attend. Try the law school admissions forum and the LSAT prep forum...those two places will answer tons of your questions. Under law school admission forum, check out the ITT Military Veterans thread, also.
- The only GPA that matters is your LSAC cumulative GPA, which you'll get after you submit all transcripts to LSAC.
- With your military background and GPA, you're in great shape to get into a good law school with a good LSAT score. "Good" is relative to where you want to go to school and what your personal goals are, but most people on TLS will tell you 170+ and a Top 14 law school is the way to go. Do a lot of research and decide for yourself. If you really want JAG after law school, getting into a Top 14 won't be the be all-end all. Don't drink the kool-aid too quickly!

Again, welcome. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Cheers,
HD
Last edited by Ex Cearulo on Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:05 pm

HawgDriver wrote:SgtShammy,

Welcome to TLS! I've been in the AF for a little over 6 years now; I'm trying to switch into the JAG program.

- This probably isn't the forum you want to start in. "Choosing a Law School" is more for people who have been admitted to several law schools and are looking for information to help them decide which to attend. Try the law school admissions forum and the LSAT prep forum...those two places will answer tons of your questions. Under law school admission forum, check out the ITT Military Veterans thread, also.
- The only GPA that matters is your LSAC cumulative GPA, which you'll get after you submit all transcripts to LSAC.
- With your military background and GPA, you're in great shape to get into a good law school with a good LSAT score. "Good" is relative to where you want to go to school and what your personal goals are, but most people on TLS will tell you 170+ and a Top 14 law school is the way to go. Do a lot of research and decide for yourself. If you really want JAG after law school, getting into a Top 14 won't be the be all-end all. Don't drink the look-aid too quickly!

Cheers,
HD

Off topic: Am I to understand that "HawgDriver" and/or your profile pic refer to you "driving" A-10s? Because cool planes/name/tar.

Ex Cearulo

Postby Ex Cearulo » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:13 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
HawgDriver wrote:SgtShammy,

- With your military background and GPA, you're in great shape to get into a good law school with a good LSAT score. "Good" is relative to where you want to go to school and what your personal goals are, but most people on TLS will tell you 170+ and a Top 14 law school is the way to go. Do a lot of research and decide for yourself. If you really want JAG after law school, getting into a Top 14 won't be the be all-end all. Don't drink the look-aid too quickly!

Cheers,
HD

Off topic: Am I to understand that "HawgDriver" and/or your profile pic refer to you "driving" A-10s? Because cool planes/name/tar.

Yeah, been flying Hawgs for about 3 1/2 years now. Thanks, man.

Postby 20160810 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:36 pm

1.) Your GPA is going to be about a 3.49 for law school purposes

2.) Whether test prep companies are "worth it" depends on a million factors, but you're going to want to stake out an effective study strategy for sure. Since you did college online, getting into a top law school is going to be an uphill battle. At a minimum, I think you'll need a 170.

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:06 pm

You can teach yourself the LSAT for a lot less than 1.5k

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=195603

arhmcpo

Postby arhmcpo » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:24 pm

to OP:
It sounds like you have an interesting and excellent background.
I would strongly recommend some sort of LSAT course - such courses can substantially increase your final score over an intial diagnostic and with the LSAT being so important, even a few points has huge consequences.

It sounds like from your lifestyle and mindset you might want to consider part-time law school programs and switching to reserves so you can continue to earn an income while attending law school- if continuing to earn an income is a-must for you personally. This would prohibit the very top schools from consideration but some strong law schools do have PT programs.

Furthermore, I for one don't believe a T14 is necessary for someone headed to JAG. I would go to the best school you can get that gives you the most scholly money. JAG cares about your school prestige but also factors in other "soft" factors more than other legal employers. I have a family member and a friend who recently received JAG offers and neither went to T14 or anything close (T2-level) but they had good resumes and softs (interesting past non-law-job experience, demonstrated interest in government work, demonstrated interest in travel/living abroad, one took advantage of interning with JAG during law school).

Your background sounds about perfect for getting JAG although service branch rivalries might mean you can only pursue AF JAG! kidding - kinda.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”