Best Schools for Pacific Northwest

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
MT Cicero

Best Schools for Pacific Northwest

Postby MT Cicero » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:51 pm

Edited
Last edited by MT Cicero on Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chill

Re: Best Schools for Pacific Northwest

Postby chill » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:59 pm

Last edited by chill on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

MT Cicero

Postby MT Cicero » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:05 pm

Last edited by MT Cicero on Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chill

Postby chill » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:21 pm

Last edited by chill on Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

MT Cicero

Postby MT Cicero » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:38 pm

Edited
Last edited by MT Cicero on Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hurldes

Postby hurldes » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:53 pm

My guess is that NW would be more mobile than any of the schools you mentioned. I also think that a NW degree with ties to a region is better than a regional school in that region. For example, if you have ties to Salt Lake, Northwestern beats Utah in Salt Lake and definitely in Boise, in my opinion.

bobbypin

Postby bobbypin » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:22 pm

Considering where you want to live and practice, I'd consider University of Washington. Don't go to Gonzaga, Seattle, or anywhere in Idaho or Utah. The degree just doesn't transport as far. In fact, I wouldn't really consider UofO or L&C either. I don't know many places outside of Oregon that would choose a grad from any Oregon school over a grad from somewhere else.

MT Cicero

Postby MT Cicero » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:19 pm

bobbypin wrote:Considering where you want to live and practice, I'd consider University of Washington. Don't go to Gonzaga, Seattle, or anywhere in Idaho or Utah. The degree just doesn't transport as far. In fact, I wouldn't really consider UofO or L&C either. I don't know many places outside of Oregon that would choose a grad from any Oregon school over a grad from somewhere else.

Edited
Last edited by MT Cicero on Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:25 pm

Being in a similar situation, are you sure you're eligible for free education everywhere? In particular, UVA can be pretty stringent with residency status. Do you currently live in VA? If not, you'll probably be sorely out of luck for going to a VA school free of cost.

MT Cicero

Postby MT Cicero » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:38 pm

matthewsean85 wrote:Being in a similar situation, are you sure you're eligible for free education everywhere? In particular, UVA can be pretty stringent with residency status. Do you currently live in VA? If not, you'll probably be sorely out of luck for going to a VA school free of cost.

UVA specifically has $2500 yellow ribbon (with GI Bill $2500 match) and unlimited slots. Additionally, GI Bill pays full in-state tuition ($44,600 for UVA). Out-of-state tuition is $49,600, so there's a $5K difference. Yellow ribbon steps in and covers that difference.

For other schools, see the spreadsheet I created here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=170257&start=425

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:45 pm

craigsan18 wrote:
matthewsean85 wrote:Being in a similar situation, are you sure you're eligible for free education everywhere? In particular, UVA can be pretty stringent with residency status. Do you currently live in VA? If not, you'll probably be sorely out of luck for going to a VA school free of cost.

UVA specifically has $2500 yellow ribbon (with GI Bill $2500 match) and unlimited slots. Additionally, GI Bill pays full in-state tuition ($44,600 for UVA). Out-of-state tuition is $49,600, so there's a $5K difference. Yellow ribbon steps in and covers that difference.

For other schools, see the spreadsheet I created here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=170257&start=425

Okay, that's cool, I hadn't looked that deeply in it, as I am currently a VA resident. But given your splitter profile (assumed at this point, but I'm sure you'll follow through), I'd definitely say you are in for an interesting ride when combined with your military service, particularly with regard to the T14 and some of those fringe schools (UCLA, UW, etc).

For the record, with my military background, a lower LSAT (168) and higher GPA (3.43) I've been accepted to UCLA and GULC already, so given your numbers, I'd definitely throw some T14 apps out there just to see how it goes. You could definitely see a sizable boost in employment outcomes if you have to explore the civilian law route, which I'd say is the safe bet. Best of luck to you and I hope you kill the LSAT!

MT Cicero

Postby MT Cicero » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:50 pm

matthewsean85 wrote:
craigsan18 wrote:

Okay, that's cool, I hadn't looked that deeply in it, as I am currently a VA resident. But given your splitter profile (assumed at this point, but I'm sure you'll follow through), I'd definitely say you are in for an interesting ride when combined with your military service, particularly with regard to the T14 and some of those fringe schools (UCLA, UW, etc).

For the record, with my military background, a lower LSAT (168) and higher GPA (3.43) I've been accepted to UCLA and GULC already, so given your numbers, I'd definitely throw some T14 apps out there just to see how it goes. You could definitely see a sizable boost in employment outcomes if you have to explore the civilian law route, which I'd say is the safe bet. Best of luck to you and I hope you kill the LSAT!

Edited

Return to “Choosing a Law School”