Emory scholly v. T14 sticker

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
nebula666

Re: Emory scholly v. T14 sticker

Postby nebula666 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:17 am

At Emory, if you don't end up being one of the 25% who get biglaw/fed clerkships, you graduate debt free and can take whatever job you can find.

At MVP, if you don't end up being one of the top ~40%, you end up with the same job prospects and > $200k in debt to go with it.

I'd take Emory

Jose Reyes

Postby Jose Reyes » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:24 am

nebula666 wrote:At Emory, if you don't end up being one of the 25% who get biglaw/fed clerkships, you graduate debt free and can take whatever job you can find.

At MVP, if you don't end up being one of the top ~40%, you end up with the same job prospects and > $200k in debt to go with it.

I'd take Emory

wise words.

Borg

Postby Borg » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:34 am

This is a tough call. I don't think that HYS or bust is correct, because Columbia, Chicago, and NYU all have very good employment stats as well (correct me if I'm wrong but I think Columbia has the best employment score on LST?). You've mentioned that you think your targets are MVPB. I think if you get into Penn it might be a bit safer than the others. If you are choosing between Michigan, Virginia, Berkeley, and Emory though I think I'd take Emory up on that scholarship as the rest have really slipped in terms of job prospects since 2008.

Also, Bruce Wayne has been bitter for a long time because he didn't get a biglaw job from NYU, so take that into account when considering his advice.

jenesaislaw

Postby jenesaislaw » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:43 pm

weye wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Emory gave you a Woody? Already? Or are we still in Hypo-land?

The Woodruff is an exploding offer and I'll have to make the decision within a day, which is why I'm getting opinions before my interview.

It's an exploding offer that lasts just a day or two? That is unconscionable.

Agree with rad that this is a decision of UVA with 75k v. Emory. If you're debt-financing, that's still over 160k owed at first payment.

You can also live pretty cheap in Atlanta (don't know how much the stipend is), so you may have very little debt (if any depending on your cash situation).

One thing that's often overlooked, besides the difficulty of staying in biglaw for more than 3 years, is the lost investment income. If you're paying $1800 a month in loans instead of saving that money, it adds up to millions of dollars in retirement that the extra income from UVA (or wherever) may not justify.

weye

Postby weye » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:15 pm

I can't find anything on the website about the deadline but I'm pretty sure I was told by an Emory law student that Woodruff recipients have 24 hours to accept. I hope I'm wrong and I'd have time to finish out my cycle and make an informed final decision.

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:39 pm

weye wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:
weye wrote:I do have pretty bangin softs.

go on

In no particular order: varsity collegiate rowing in the States, South Africa, and UK (a few national titles), full tuition award for athletic/academic merit (only awarded to one student per year), violinist for university symphony orchestra, a State Dept. benefit concert tour in Korea, Japan, and Russia (we were the first American symphony to play in Vladivostok since the Cold War), and a number of small semi-professional ensembles, a few awards for film scores and other music compositions, two publications (one political theory, one philosophy), internship in Johannesburg prison, internship with Ugandan development NGO, study abroad with the International Human Rights Exchange in South Africa, research fellowship in Berlin, academic fellowship in UK (where I'm currently earning a masters), highest honors on thesis, award for most distinguished graduate in philosophy dept., Rhodes Finalist

Nice softs brah. Seriously. And if the Emory $$$ is an exploding offer, that seriously sucks since you'll have to make a decision before you hear from CCN.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:48 pm

Borg wrote:This is a tough call. I don't think that HYS or bust is correct, because Columbia, Chicago, and NYU all have very good employment stats as well (correct me if I'm wrong but I think Columbia has the best employment score on LST?). You've mentioned that you think your targets are MVPB. I think if you get into Penn it might be a bit safer than the others. If you are choosing between Michigan, Virginia, Berkeley, and Emory though I think I'd take Emory up on that scholarship as the rest have really slipped in terms of job prospects since 2008.

Also, Bruce Wayne has been bitter for a long time because he didn't get a biglaw job from NYU, so take that into account when considering his advice.

Lol Borg is a true fool and doesn't know or understand legal employment. I've never stepped foot on NYU's campus let alone attended the school. Be very careful about taking advice from posters who are giving out advice based on US News rank and their experience with placement based only on students who attain median or higher grades.

HYS essentially guarantee you a biglaw job if you want it. The rest of the top 14 doesn't. NYU has the same, or worse, employment stats as the rest of the top 14. http://abovethelaw.com/2012/02/best-law ... -job-2012/

Agree with rad that this is a decision of UVA with 75k v. Emory. If you're debt-financing, that's still over 160k owed at first payment.

You can also live pretty cheap in Atlanta (don't know how much the stipend is), so you may have very little debt (if any depending on your cash situation).

One thing that's often overlooked, besides the difficulty of staying in biglaw for more than 3 years, is the lost investment income. If you're paying $1800 a month in loans instead of saving that money, it adds up to millions of dollars in retirement that the extra income from UVA (or wherever) may not justify.

This is a VERY intelligent analysis--great post.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:15 am

jenesaislaw wrote:
weye wrote:

The Woodruff is an exploding offer and I'll have to make the decision within a day, which is why I'm getting opinions before my interview.

I dont follow this last part. You wouldn't have that 1800 a month to save if you didn't have big law right ? I must be missing something

AllTheLawz

Postby AllTheLawz » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:34 am

I know I am solidly in the minority.. but I dont think a single school is worth $220k in debt. Not even HYS. I agree with the people saying UVA v. Emory and I would be leaning Emory.

Another thing you should account for is your own personal interviewing skill, personality, and work experience. People really underestimate how much these things matter. Your personality/interview skill is actually a huge part of the equation and somehow people completely ignore it. Grades weren't the biggest problem for the people I know who struck out or had a hard time during OCI at HYS (yes, a few people struggle at Yale) and Columbia.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:47 am

brucewayne wrote:

LOL. If by very intelligent you mean ridiculously stupid then I agree. What idiot thinks the average Emory grad has $1800 a month to toss into savings?

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:53 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
brucewayne wrote:

LOL. If by very intelligent you mean ridiculously stupid then I agree. What idiot thinks the average Emory grad has $1800 a month to toss into savings?

I agree that number is pretty high but if you have no debt and live frugally you can max out your 401k pretty easily.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:55 am

ChampagnePapi wrote:
jenesaislaw wrote:
weye wrote:

I dont follow this last part. You wouldn't have that 1800 a month to save if you didn't have big law right ? I must be missing something

+1

I love law school transparency and all but sometimes this dude's posts... If big law is the only thing that will put you in a position to make that money then how exactly are you losing it by working in big law rather than something else?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:56 am

Ruxin1 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
brucewayne wrote:

I agree that number is pretty high but if you have no debt and live frugally you can max out your 401k pretty easily.

You can also max out your 401k while working in BigLaw and servicing debt. This bullshit we've been seeing recently on TLS about how it's better to make 50K than make 160K needs to stop.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:06 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
brucewayne wrote:

You really DO believe that people stay in biglaw as long as they want don't you? I understand the naivete to an extent--but the extreme confidence in it is a bit odd. Yes if you land a biglaw associate position, make your loan payments, and then hold on to that job for 7 years and make partner you will come out on top lol.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:13 am

BruceWayne wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
brucewayne wrote:

You really DO believe that people stay in biglaw as long as they want don't you? I understand the naivete to an extent--but the extreme confidence in it is a bit odd. Yes if you land a biglaw associate position, make your loan payments, and then hold on to that job for 7 years and make partner you will come out on top lol.

How stupid are you? The post you called "VERY intelligent" made zero sense. My criticism has nothing to do with making partner. The dude implied that anyone who doesn't make BigLaw could be putting tens of thousands of dollars away into savings while the BigLaw guy will have to put that same money into his loans. It makes no sense.

I appreciate that you understand my naivete. I appreciate your limited intelligence. But what I'd really like to know is why you didn't retake the LSAT, especially given your obsession with HYS. Was your intelligence so limited as to prevent you from being able to improve on your pathetic score, or was it so limited that you didn't have the capacity to think that retaking would be a good idea in the first place?

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:21 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:How stupid are you? The post you called "VERY intelligent" made zero sense. My criticism has nothing to do with making partner. The dude implied that anyone who doesn't make BigLaw could be putting tens of thousands of dollars away into savings while the BigLaw guy will have to put that same money into his loans. It makes no sense.

I appreciate that you understand my naivete. I appreciate your limited intelligence. But what I'd really like to know is why you didn't retake the LSAT, especially given your obsession with HYS. Was your intelligence so limited as to prevent you from being able to improve on your pathetic score, or was it so limited that you didn't have the capacity to think that retaking would be a good idea in the first place?

Lol are you supposed to be some type of internet badass or something? I guess Columbia law is producing some real bad mfers nowadays--I'll watch myself next time I'm in the rough and tough halls of Columbia University.

All the guy is saying is that you rack up debt, and THEN end up in that situation paying off that much money, going to biglaw isn't really going to put you ahead. Now if you want to argue that it might give you some exit options that could that's another issue. But let's leave it at that--I really don't want to risk getting my ass kicked online by you Tiago. You're no joke--lulz.

And you're pretty a simple guy aren't you? You basically just repeat what you hear said ad nausea on this website. If your GPA is anything below a 3.4 you can retake all day and no matter what score you get you won't get into HYS. Not to mention I applied before people really knew what was up.

Hey serious question--can you dunk? :lol:
Last edited by BruceWayne on Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:26 am

BruceWayne wrote:And you're pretty a simple guy aren't you? You basically just repeat what you hear repeated ad nausea on this website. If your GPA is anything below a 3.4 you can retake all day and no matter what score you get you won't get into HYS. Not to mention I applied before people really knew what was up.

Yup. Ad nausea.

BruceWayne wrote:All the guy is saying is that you rack up debt, and THEN end up in that situation paying off that much money, and then going on

And...? The fact that you don't get the problem with his post demonstrates the type of intelligence I'm dealing with. Fucking dumbass.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:31 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:And you're pretty a simple guy aren't you? You basically just repeat what you hear repeated ad nausea on this website. If your GPA is anything below a 3.4 you can retake all day and no matter what score you get you won't get into HYS. Not to mention I applied before people really knew what was up.

Yup. Ad nausea.

BruceWayne wrote:All the guy is saying is that you rack up debt, and THEN end up in that situation paying off that much money, and then going on

And...? The fact that you don't get the problem with his post demonstrates the type of intelligence I'm dealing with. Fucking dumbass.

I'll give you one thing--you've a true badass. I mean you are so bold as to use exclamation points after phrases like "fucking dumbass" when you post a response on an online forum--wait no you didn't...

Hey, by the way you know Tiago sucks right? I get the whole splitter joke but still.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:34 am

BruceWayne wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

Yup. Ad nausea.

I'll give you one thing--you've a true badass. You're so bold as to use exclamation points after phrases like "fucking dumbass" when you post a response on an online forum.

Looks like I struck a nerve. But I didn't use any exclamation points. Not sure if you're joking or actually don't know what an exclamation point is.

Anyways, if the average Emory grad can save what the average Biglaw attorney is putting into debt service then go to Emory OP.

BruceWayne wrote:Hey, by the way you know Tiago sucks right? I get the whole splitter joke but still.

Nah dude I don't follow the NBA. But I guess you got me on that one.

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:36 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
You can also max out your 401k while working in BigLaw and servicing debt. This bullshit we've been seeing recently on TLS about how it's better to make 50K than make 160K needs to stop.

I agree, but I think for those 200k in debt they will throw as much at the debt as possible before they get pushed out, which is maybe the LST guys point?

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:39 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

Yup. Ad nausea.

I'll give you one thing--you've a true badass. You're so bold as to use exclamation points after phrases like "fucking dumbass" when you post a response on an online forum.

Looks like I struck a nerve. But I didn't use any exclamation points. Not sure if you're joking or actually don't know what an exclamation point is.

Anyways, if the average Emory grad can save what the average Biglaw attorney is putting into debt service then go to Emory OP.

Geez man I thought you were just trying to flame/troll but what I'm saying really did go over your head? So you really evaluate things from the perspective of: 1) if the OP picks the school that places half of the class in biglaw he is guaranteed to get it 2) He will keep it long enough to service all his debt and 3) He will thus NO DOUBT come out ahead of what he would at Emory with absolutely no debt?

Actually, it's not really that what I'm saying is going over your head--it's just like I said with my first response to your PMS post--you're very naive. Wait, what year are you in law school?
Last edited by BruceWayne on Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:40 am

Ruxin1 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

I agree, but I think for those 200k in debt they will throw as much at the debt as possible before they get pushed out, which is maybe the LST guys point?

To be fair the LST guy was probably saying someone making 50K with no debt service could put 5-10K a year towards savings and earn a large return over a 40 year career, while the BigLaw guy has to put everything toward his debt early, and the difference erases some of the benefits of making that extra money. The problem arose when he said you'd be missing out on millions of dollars by doing BigLaw, because in doing so he implied that the guy going to Emory (or not going to law school at all) could afford to put away tens of thousands of dollars each year towards savings that Mr. BigLaw would have to miss out on. He just overstated the point.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:44 am

BruceWayne wrote:Geez man I thought you were just trying to flame/troll but what I'm saying really did go over your head? So you really evaluate things from the perspective of: 1) if the OP picks the school that places half of the class in biglaw he is guaranteed to get it 2) He will keep it long enough to service all his debt and 3) He will thus NO DOUBT come out ahead of what he would at Emory with absolutely no debt?

I didn't say any of this dipshit. The LST guy made a point about how someone who DOES make BigLaw may not come out ahead of someone who goes to Emory. He didn't say that you might not make Biglaw out of UVA, but instead discussed a scenario in which someone who already makes Biglaw is still screwed.

There aren't any guarantees even once you make Biglaw. But for someone from a site like LST to come out and say you will miss out on millions of dollars by going to UVA, millions which apparently are a sure thing if you go to Emory or just become a garbageman, hurts everyone's credibility.

Fewer people are signing up for law school because the truth of the situation is really that shitty. LST, Campos and others just need to stick to the truth.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:45 am

Maybe the offer expires after 24 hours because if they can't convince you with their best offer, they want to be able to offer it to someone else who will take it?

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:47 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

To be fair the LST guy was probably saying someone making 50K with no debt service could put 5-10K a year towards savings and earn a large return over a 40 year career, while the BigLaw guy has to put everything toward his debt early, and the difference erases some of the benefits of making that extra money. [b]The problem arose when he said you'd be missing out on millions of dollars by doing BigLaw, because in doing so he implied that the guy going to Emory (or not going to law school at all) could afford to put away tens of thousands of dollars each year towards savings that Mr. BigLaw would have to miss out on. He just overstated the point.[[/b

Wait a minute--so your whole issue with the guy's post was that he obviously pulled that figure out of his ass? I guess there's nothing wrong with being a sensitive type of guy.

By the way, that whole "people are saying it's better to make 50K than 160K need to stop" bit was some serious strawmanning. People are just saying it can be better to take a government job (that tend to have incredible job security) with LRAP if you have sticker debt at a top 14 than to take a biglaw job in NYC where you won't last more than 3-4 years. Your sensitivity is clouding your judgment.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”