Soutwestern Law School part time program

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
psm11

Soutwestern Law School part time program

Postby psm11 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:01 pm

Hey guys so I am planning on applying to Southwestern's part time evening program and just contacted their admissions office with some questions. One of my questions was what their procedure was for students transferring from part to full time after the first year. The woman at admissions informed me that a student can transfer to the full time program and that it would them 3.5 years to get their JD. However, she also informed me that while it would take 3.5 years I still would have to pay 4 years worth of tuition. Has anyone heard of something like this before? Thanks in advance.

psm11

Re: Soutwestern Law School part time program

Postby psm11 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:03 pm

In other words I would have to pay for a semester in which I took no classes -- just to be clear.

DougieFresh

Postby DougieFresh » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:29 pm

Paying for any years at Southwestern Law School is a risky investment.

See: http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=southwestern

Do what I am doing and retake. Its just not worth it.

psm11

Postby psm11 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:34 pm

DougieFresh wrote:Paying for any years at Southwestern Law School is a risky investment.

See: http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=southwestern

Do what I am doing and retake. Its just not worth it.

Yes I understand that. Very slim chance I would go there, unless they threw a bunch of money at me, I only applied because it was free. Still curious if you or anyone else has heard of something like that.

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:36 pm

A friend of a coworker is going to Southwestern and is in that same situation. Haven't heard of other schools doing that; apparently Southwestern decided they just didn't come across quite sketchy enough.

psm11

Postby psm11 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:39 pm

nickb285 wrote:A friend of a coworker is going to Southwestern and is in that same situation. Haven't heard of other schools doing that; apparently Southwestern decided they just didn't come across quite sketchy enough.

Haha yeah I really don't get it. Couldn't you just finish all your credits and graduate in 3.5 years and tell them to piss off for the extra semester

arhmcpo

Postby arhmcpo » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:00 pm

psm11 wrote:
nickb285 wrote:A friend of a coworker is going to Southwestern and is in that same situation. Haven't heard of other schools doing that; apparently Southwestern decided they just didn't come across quite sketchy enough.

Haha yeah I really don't get it. Couldn't you just finish all your credits and graduate in 3.5 years and tell them to piss off for the extra semester

I've never heard of that and that seems reeeeally shadly. Normally law schools charge you a lump sum per semester i.e. as a 1L if you fail your fall grades you could conceivabley drop out before paying for spring.

I've met several Southwestern students and really liked them - but what they all had in common was they were at or near the top of their class and bassically had no job prospects. From a hiring perspective, within LA there is also a lot of prejudice/disdain for a Southwestern law degree. Not exactly encouraging.

psm11

Postby psm11 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:44 pm

arhmcpo wrote:
psm11 wrote:

I've never heard of that and that seems reeeeally shadly. Normally law schools charge you a lump sum per semester i.e. as a 1L if you fail your fall grades you could conceivabley drop out before paying for spring.

I've met several Southwestern students and really liked them - but what they all had in common was they were at or near the top of their class and bassically had no job prospects. From a hiring perspective, within LA there is also a lot of prejudice/disdain for a Southwestern law degree. Not exactly encouraging.

Thanks for the info. I wrote them asking them about transferring from part to full time and the women emailed me back saying that you can do it after your first year and it would take 3.5 years to earn your JD. She then went on to say that they like to make sure all students who do this are aware that they will be charged 4 years worth of tuition. I then emailed her back saying, "let me make sure I understand this, if I switch programs and finish my JD in 3.5 years I will be charged an extra semester for which I didn't take any classes?" Her response was "that is correct".

I really don't understand how they could do that. I think I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if I can get anymore info. I see in your profile you got into some other UC schools and Pepperdine. In your opinion, I'm not from the area, how hard would it be to transfer out of Southwestern after my first year into, say, Pepperdine or even UCLA?

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:26 pm

That is sketchy as fuck and another reason on top of a large pile not to go to Southwestern.

squ1rtle

Postby squ1rtle » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:34 pm

It's not sketchy. Part time tuition is always lower than full time tuition. Generally, 4 years of part time tuition would be equal to 3 years of full time tuition. So that's why they will make someone who graduates in 3.5 years to pay the same tuition as a student on the regular track. If they made tuition lower for graduating in 3.5 years than 4 years, everyone will be doing it.
Last edited by squ1rtle on Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 071816 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:39 pm

Don't go to Southwestern.

psm11

Postby psm11 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:02 pm

squ1rtle wrote:It's not sketchy. Part time tuition is always lower than full time tuition. Generally, 4 years of part time tuition would be equal to 3 years of full time tuition. So that's why they will make someone who graduates in 3.5 years to pay the same tuition as a student on the regular track. If they made tuition lower for graduating in 3.5 years than 4 years, everyone will be doing it.

I still think it's lower than the 3 year program. Part time is $29,100 per year so $116,400. Full time is $43,650 per year so $130,950 for 3 years.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:04 am

psm11 wrote: how hard would it be to transfer out of Southwestern after my first year into, say, Pepperdine or even UCLA?

Very, VERY few people will be fortunate enough to transfer. Assume that you will have to graduate from Southwestern.

arhmcpo

Postby arhmcpo » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:48 pm

psm11 wrote:
arhmcpo wrote:
psm11 wrote:

Thanks for the info. I wrote them asking them about transferring from part to full time and the women emailed me back saying that you can do it after your first year and it would take 3.5 years to earn your JD. She then went on to say that they like to make sure all students who do this are aware that they will be charged 4 years worth of tuition. I then emailed her back saying, "let me make sure I understand this, if I switch programs and finish my JD in 3.5 years I will be charged an extra semester for which I didn't take any classes?" Her response was "that is correct".

I really don't understand how they could do that. I think I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if I can get anymore info. I see in your profile you got into some other UC schools and Pepperdine. In your opinion, I'm not from the area, how hard would it be to transfer out of Southwestern after my first year into, say, Pepperdine or even UCLA?

It would be very difficult. You would need to be towards the top of your class. When I was at Pepp most of the transfers they took in were either URMs and or students who were top of their class and also had some interesting or unique background.

squ1rtle wrote:It's not sketchy. Part time tuition is always lower than full time tuition. Generally, 4 years of part time tuition would be equal to 3 years of full time tuition. So that's why they will make someone who graduates in 3.5 years to pay the same tuition as a student on the regular track. If they made tuition lower for graduating in 3.5 years than 4 years, everyone will be doing it.

This actually makes a lot of sense to me if the math adds up - leave it to a law school to make sure there isn't a "loop hole" where its students could find a way to pay less. Especially a school like Southwestern which is a stand-alone private law school -it has to manage its own finances like a typical for profit business.

Postby 071816 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:53 pm

chimp wrote:Don't go to Southwestern.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”