TTTT Scholarship

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
tonto

TTTT Scholarship

Postby tonto » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:40 am

I was offered a full scholarship to a TTTT school that is literally 20 min from my house. Should I go? I know everyone on here is usually against these types of schools...

rinkrat19

Re: TTTT Scholarship

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:42 am

Probably not.

What are the stipulations on the scholarship? What school is it (so we can tell you if it's a school known for section-stacking)? And do you have a guaranteed job lined up for after graduation?

jump_man

Postby jump_man » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:46 am

tonto wrote:I was offered a full scholarship to a TTTT school that is literally 20 min from my house. Should I go? I know everyone on here is usually against these types of schools...

1. If you have a guaranteed job lined up after graduation: Do it. Otherwise . . .
2. If you don't mind working shitlaw or at Starbucks: Do it. Otherwise . . .
3. If you don't mind having your scholarships taken away after your first year, even though you are top 30%: Do it.

4. All other scenarios: No way Jose!!!!!

tonto

Postby tonto » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:49 am

They said I would keep the scholarship as long as I was above a 2.5. And what is shit law? I have a job lined up though.

togepi

Postby togepi » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:50 am

tonto wrote:They said I would keep the scholarship as long as I was above a 2.5. And what is shit law? I have a job lined up though.

Just in case, you should probably see what that school's curve is. A lot of the lower ranked schools have ridiculously low median curves. 2.5 could be above median at said school.

jump_man

Postby jump_man » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:59 am

tonto wrote:They said I would keep the scholarship as long as I was above a 2.5. And what is shit law? I have a job lined up though.

Shitlaw jobs are the ~$40,000/year jobs where you do doc review and other shitty tasks like that. It is terrible work that lawyers look down upon, and the salary forces you to live in your parents' garage. However, most grads at TTTTs aren't even lucky enough to find this kind of work. If you haven't already, check out Law School Transparency to see how bad the situation really is for TTTT grads:

http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:50 am

jump_man wrote:

Shitlaw jobs are the ~$40,000/year jobs where you do doc review and other shitty tasks like that. It is terrible work that lawyers look down upon, and the salary forces you to live in your parents' garage. However, most grads at TTTTs aren't even lucky enough to find this kind of work. If you haven't already, check out Law School Transparency to see how bad the situation really is for TTTT grads:

http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/

I think 40k a year might be a bit generous.

Postby 20160810 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:39 pm

This depends on a lot of things.

As stips go, 2.5 meets the eyeball test, but like people have said, some T4 schools have stupidly low medians, so for all you know, that could be top third. Call admissions and ask for the GPA-rank breakdown and see roughly what percentile that would have to have you in.

Also, depends on the T4 school. They're all bad, but some are worse than others. If it's Cooley, just no. There are a couple that I'd be fine telling people to take a full ride at (Texas Tech comes to mind).

Also, depends what your other options are. If you have a 4.0/175, no. If you're sitting on mediocre numbers, this might be your best shot. Full ride at a T4 is infinitely better than sticker at a T2 in pretty much every instance.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”