Sports Law/ Politics

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
NoleFin

Re: Sports Law/ Politics

Postby NoleFin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:22 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:
NoleFin wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:You asked for information, you got the correct information:

Jredelman15 wrote:Don't choose a law school on their educational specialty. Make the choice based on location and overall employment prospects. T-14

BigZuck wrote: retake and get into one of HYS, make top 10%, make a bunch of connections in the sports world, and pray.

Then you refused to believe the information.

I dont exactly get what your saying...the information im refusing to believe is you need to be in a T14 school to become an agent? If so yes, I refuse to believe what isnt true.

Well now I think I've realized the problem, you are not reading that correctly. Of course there are people from non T14 schools that become successful sports agents, or successful politicians, or successful BigLaw lawyers, or rich lawyers etc. A lot of the richest and/or most famous lawyers went to terrible law schools. (They also graduated in a completely different world though).

The information you need to take away is that your best shot of having any kind of employment, including the unlikely possibility of being a sports agent, is to go to the absolute best school you can get into, in the region that you want to practice in.

Lol it does appear weve been on different wave lengths. Thank you for the information, sorry about any hostility I may have brought on to the site. I just have been reading it for weeks now, and Im constantly angered by the amount of elitism and negativity i see on here, so i just felt like speaking my mind a little.

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:27 pm

Check out LSTscorereports.com

Lists all employment stats for all schools, and it is the reason why people are weary of lower ranked schools.

NoleFin

Postby NoleFin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:28 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:Check out LSTscorereports.com

Lists all employment stats for all schools, and it is the reason why people are weary of lower ranked schools.

Gracias. What do you mean by lower though, does FSU fall in to that category? By the way, Ruxin is definitely the man.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:28 pm

NoleFin wrote:
Lol it does appear weve been on different wave lengths. Thank you for the information, sorry about any hostility I may have brought on to the site. I just have been reading it for weeks now, and Im constantly angered by the amount of elitism and negativity i see on here, so i just felt like speaking my mind a little.

There is a lot of negativity here. But you also have to consider that when 0L's who step outside of TLS they are bombarded with false optimism and bad information from parents/pre-law advisors/lawyers/friends, not to mention the law schools themselves. So at least it corrects for that.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:29 pm

NoleFin wrote:
Lol it does appear weve been on different wave lengths. Thank you for the information, sorry about any hostility I may have brought on to the site. I just have been reading it for weeks now, and Im constantly angered by the amount of elitism and negativity i see on hear, so i just felt like speaking my mind a little.

Well there is no elitism. Elitism would be saying go to Harvard over FSU just because Harvard is more prestigious. The reality is that there are huge differences in job prospects between top law schools and lower ranked law schools. If you think it's elitist to want a job then yeah I guess the site is elitist.

And the negativity is warranted. The legal industry is in the shitter right now. There are too many graduates, not enough jobs, little security, rising tuition costs, etc.

Also part of the frustration with your initial post is that it indicates you've done no research at all. Did you use the search function for "sports agent"? You could have found other threads that already answered your question. There are also a ton of threads that talk about the general shitty state of the legal market

NoleFin

Postby NoleFin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:33 pm

NoleFin wrote:
Lol it does appear weve been on different wave lengths. Thank you for the information, sorry about any hostility I may have brought on to the site. I just have been reading it for weeks now, and Im constantly angered by the amount of elitism and negativity i see on hear, so i just felt like speaking my mind a little.

Well there is no elitism. Elitism would be saying go to Harvard over FSU just because Harvard is more prestigious. The reality is that there are huge differences in job prospects between top law schools and lower ranked law schools. If you think it's elitist to want a job then yeah I guess the site is elitist.

And the negativity is warranted. The legal industry is in the shitter right now. There are too many graduates, not enough jobs, little security, rising tuition costs, etc.

Also part of the frustration with your initial post is that it indicates you've done no research at all. Did you use the search function for "sports agent"? You could have found other threads that already answered your question. There are also a ton of threads that talk about the general shitty state of the legal market

Well I know Harvard obviously is a world away from FSU. Thats not what I meant by elitism. The elitism I see is in the form of "you didnt get into a T14 school? Kill yourself." Thats really not that far off from whats said around here.

You are right, I should have searched the site more comprehensively before posting. I did a little and didnt come up with much, but its definitely possible I missed the info available.

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:34 pm

NoleFin wrote:And my "hyper-defensiveness" is not that at all. Its me trying to set a bunch of snobs strait who don't get how to interact with people. Same reason you probably dont have a wife/girlfriend and if you do shes probably ugly/a bitch.

Nota bene: Calling someone's hypothetical significant other an ugly bitch is "how to interact with people."

NoleFin

Postby NoleFin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:34 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
NoleFin wrote:

There is a lot of negativity here. But you also have to consider that when 0L's who step outside of TLS they are bombarded with false optimism and bad information from parents/pre-law advisors/lawyers/friends, not to mention the law schools themselves. So at least it corrects for that.

Ya your right about that. Certainly couldnt hurt to be exposed to all this negativity.

NoleFin

Postby NoleFin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:36 pm

nickb285 wrote:
NoleFin wrote:And my "hyper-defensiveness" is not that at all. Its me trying to set a bunch of snobs strait who don't get how to interact with people. Same reason you probably dont have a wife/girlfriend and if you do shes probably ugly/a bitch.

Nota bene: Calling someone's hypothetical significant other an ugly bitch is "how to interact with people."

Captain Context to the rescue!!

I never called his significant other either of those. I dont know if you follow sports at all, but I did to him what David Stern did to Jim Rome. I made a wild assumption to show him how it felt because he was making wild assumptions about me.

Try again though sheep, just coming to the party to fit in with everyone else and make a witty comment so people you dont know will think higher of you. Typical internet.

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:40 pm

It's neat how you're so dumb.

FWIW I'm calling flame, but just in case you're not, you should know that you are a bad person and you should feel bad.

florida1949

Postby florida1949 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:42 pm

fsu sucks

NoleFin

Postby NoleFin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:44 pm

nickb285 wrote:It's neat how you're so dumb.

FWIW I'm calling flame, but just in case you're not, you should know that you are a bad person and you should feel bad.

FWIW, just throwing out insults without any substance is a sign of mental inferiority. Just saying.

NoleFin

Postby NoleFin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:44 pm

florida1949 wrote:fsu sucks

Teblow is having a great year in NY.

florida1949

Postby florida1949 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:48 pm

NoleFin wrote:

retake the LSAT for T-14

NoleFin

Postby NoleFin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:49 pm

florida1949 wrote:
NoleFin wrote:

retake the LSAT for T-14

Hahahahaha. I dont even hate you for that. Well played.

crazycanuck

Postby crazycanuck » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:50 pm

Well, if the OP is really set on becoming a sports agent:

Go to a school that has a strong athletics department, and hussle the athletes like non-other. Go to their practices, watch them play, find out if they have agents, send them gifts, become their friends, go to the bar with them and buy them shots. Then after you have sunk tons of money into them, hope one of them gets picked. I don't think having a JD is requirement to being a sports agent. There are a lot of NHL player agents that dont have a JD.

If you just want to work in sports, go to the best school you can get reasonably get into, and try to get on with a firm that has sports teams as clients, then try to get on their cases, get to know them and transfer in. There was also a thread from a guy who was working for an NFL team I think floating around here somewhere. He just sent the teams applications and got in.

It's possible, but not probable.

NoleFin

Postby NoleFin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:52 pm

crazycanuck wrote:Well, if the OP is really set on becoming a sports agent:

Go to a school that has a strong athletics department, and hussle the athletes like non-other. Go to their practices, watch them play, find out if they have agents, send them gifts, become their friends, go to the bar with them and buy them shots. Then after you have sunk tons of money into them, hope one of them gets picked. I don't think having a JD is requirement to being a sports agent. There are a lot of NHL player agents that dont have a JD.

If you just want to work in sports, go to the best school you can get reasonably get into, and try to get on with a firm that has sports teams as clients, then try to get on their cases, get to know them and transfer in. There was also a thread from a guy who was working for an NFL team I think floating around here somewhere. He just sent the teams applications and got in.

It's possible, but not probable.

I so badly wish this could have been the first post. You would have saved me a great deal of time. Thank you very much, by far the most informative post on this thread.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:52 pm

NoleFin wrote:

FWIW, just throwing out insults without any substance is a sign of mental inferiority. Just saying.

Kind of like when you sent me a PM saying "UR a joke" when I called flame and suggested you go to the best school you can?

I can't believe this thread is still going. But at the same time I hope it keeps going forever.

Speaking of which how do you guys think it will end? I'm guessing either bk1 declares it over and locks it or the op posts a small speech about how we are all elitist gay virgins and rage quits.

NoleFin

Postby NoleFin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:55 pm

BigZuck wrote:
NoleFin wrote:

Kind of like when you sent me a PM saying "UR a joke" when I called flame and suggested you go to the best school you can?

I can't believe this thread is still going. But at the same time I hope it keeps going forever.

Speaking of which how do you guys think it will end? I'm guessing either bk1 declares it over and locks it or the op posts a small speech about how we are all elitist gay virgins and rage quits.

Lol I kind of thought the writing style of "Ur a joke" would lend to it being a joke. Instead you got your panties in a bundle I see.

I think it ends with nick realizing he doesnt need to seek approval from interneters he doesnt know! Nah...probably not.

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:58 pm

BigZuck wrote:Speaking of which how do you guys think it will end?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._Budd_Dwyer

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:00 pm

NoleFin wrote:
NoleFin wrote:

Well I know Harvard obviously is a world away from FSU. Thats not what I meant by elitism. The elitism I see is in the form of "you didnt get into a T14 school? Kill yourself." Thats really not that far off from whats said around here.

You are right, I should have searched the site more comprehensively before posting. I did a little and didnt come up with much, but its definitely possible I missed the info available.

FSU is the only law school you should even consider in Florida, but because they offer almost no scholarship at all beyond "in-state tuition waivers" which you wouldn't qualify for, it's probably unlikely to pay off. And especially because you have an unrealistic pipe-dream about what job you'll get after graduating, you really shouldn't even consider that school.

But given that you're 100% set on going to law school and FSU is going to be a much lower debt load, it's really the only law school you should consider (insofar as you can't be swayed from going to law school). Being in-state and if you can work part-time, you can keep your debt very low ($60k). Having your mom and dad pay for your law school tuition doesn't mean you're rich or that you should burn their money as opposed to your own. But like I said, since you're dead set on going to law school, FSU is your best bet by a lot.

They released a "redacted" NALP report to LST for 2011, but their poor blacking out skills leave open all the sensitive information they tried to cover:

--LinkRemoved--

You can also see the official ABA employment statistics for FSU here: http://employmentsummary.abaquestionnaire.org/

About 65% of the 2011 class had something that wasn't obviously a fake or non-job.
In the blacked out area of their NALP report, you can see that only 59% of the class reported salaries, for which the median was 55,000.

Note that these are bad numbers by any objective measure. HOWEVER, they are much better than most law schools, and especially for the cost of attendance, FSU performs much better than most peer schools, especially when factoring in the in-state tuition. Georgia is perhaps another option and they would be reasonably likely to give you an in-state waiver (they are pretty generous with those).

The sooner you grow up, the better off you'll be, but at least if you go to FSU Law School, you'll be less worse off than going somewhere else. Your numbers will get you in, and having a bachelor's from the school will also give you a boost.

And lastly, just to be clear: DO NOT GO TO LAW SCHOOL. IT IS A HORRIBLE IDEA FOR YOU AND YOU WILL REGRET THE DECISION.

NoleFin

Postby NoleFin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:00 pm

nickb285 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Speaking of which how do you guys think it will end?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._Budd_Dwyer

Lol classy move from a classy guy. Expected nothing less. By the way, dont think I included you in the elitist category Mr 3.2 GPA. :lol:

North

Postby North » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:01 pm

Wow. I'm an FSU alum as well. Wanted to point out that your conduct in this thread is a fucking embarrassment. I'm actually bothered that you might end in my class if I go to FSU for LS.

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:02 pm

NoleFin wrote:Lol classy move from a classy guy. Expected nothing less. By the way, dont think I included you in the elitist category Mr 3.2 GPA. :lol:

Out of curiosity, is that supposed to make me ashamed? More importantly, should I be more ashamed of a low GPA than you should of being a petulant rich kid with a special snowflake complex?

NoleFin

Postby NoleFin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:03 pm

cahwc12 wrote:
NoleFin wrote:
NoleFin wrote:

FSU is the only law school you should even consider in Florida, but because they offer almost no scholarship at all beyond "in-state tuition waivers" which you wouldn't qualify for, it's probably unlikely to pay off. And especially because you have an unrealistic pipe-dream about what job you'll get after graduating, you really shouldn't even consider that school.

But given that you're 100% set on going to law school and FSU is going to be a much lower debt load, it's really the only law school you should consider (insofar as you can't be swayed from going to law school). Being in-state and if you can work part-time, you can keep your debt very low ($60k). Having your mom and dad pay for your law school tuition doesn't mean you're rich or that you should burn their money as opposed to your own. But like I said, since you're dead set on going to law school, FSU is your best bet by a lot.

They released a "redacted" NALP report to LST for 2011, but their poor blacking out skills leave open all the sensitive information they tried to cover:

--LinkRemoved--

You can also see the official ABA employment statistics for FSU here: http://employmentsummary.abaquestionnaire.org/

About 65% of the 2011 class had something that wasn't obviously a fake or non-job.
In the blacked out area of their NALP report, you can see that only 59% of the class reported salaries, for which the median was 55,000.

Note that these are bad numbers by any objective measure. HOWEVER, they are much better than most law schools, and especially for the cost of attendance, FSU performs much better than most peer schools, especially when factoring in the in-state tuition. Georgia is perhaps another option and they would be reasonably likely to give you an in-state waiver (they are pretty generous with those).

The sooner you grow up, the better off you'll be, but at least if you go to FSU Law School, you'll be less worse off than going somewhere else. Your numbers will get you in, and having a bachelor's from the school will also give you a boost.

And lastly, just to be clear: DO NOT GO TO LAW SCHOOL. IT IS A HORRIBLE IDEA FOR YOU AND YOU WILL REGRET THE DECISION.

A lot of good information in this post, thanks a ton mate!

By the way Im perfectly mature, Im just pressing buttons of those I feel have some issues about superiority they need to deal with. Thinking to highly of yourself is my #1 pet peeve. Obviously I would never act this way in a professional setting, gotta love the internet though.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”