Sports Law/ Politics

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
NoleFin

Re: Sports Law/ Politics

Postby NoleFin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:50 am

dextermorgan wrote:You probably shouldn't go into law if you don't like being around "elitists" "snobs" and "dicks"

Haha cheers. Best advice Ive gotten all day. Touche indeed.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:51 am

NoleFin wrote:Ya id be far below 60k. Closer to half of that. Debt at FSU is my last worry. People seem to not understand my intentions/expectations. I know its difficult and unlikely, its more of a pipe dream/something Id love to do in my spare time while having another job. I have no qualms about working in govt at all.

The reason people are so abrasive is because you keep saying ridiculous things. First you had a pipe dream of sports/politics. Then you thought you were guaranteed to be top of your class. Now you say the bolded. They all point to you having a very naive understanding of law school and the legal field which frustrates a lot of posters since they have seen naive posters make these same sorts of arguments time and time again.

Getting a government job is not easy. You seem to think it is a fallback position you can count on. It is not. Most law students would kill for a gov job.

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:51 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:
NoleFin wrote:Lol come on man why do you just love being so negative. Give it a break. You dont know my potential, please dont act otherwise.

Why do you think being realistic is being negative? Potential has nothing to do with law school grades. It's not enough to work hard or be smart. You have to know how to take law school exams (which is something you can't really know until you get your grades back) and there is a good amount of luck involved.

but I read getting to maybe!??!!? :lol:

NoleFin

Postby NoleFin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:52 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:
NoleFin wrote:Lol come on man why do you just love being so negative. Give it a break. You dont know my potential, please dont act otherwise.

Why do you think being realistic is being negative? Potential has nothing to do with law school grades. It's not enough to work hard or be smart. You have to know how to take law school exams (which is something you can't really know until you get your grades back) and there is a good amount of luck involved.

I guess it comes down to me and you both have a lack of information in regards to how well Ill do at law school. However, I have more faith in myself than you do (imagine that).

Luck is involved in every aspect of life, thats why its not worth your time to worry about. Hope for the best and let things fall how they fall. I guess im just optimistic, but thats not something im ashamed of.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:53 am

NoleFin wrote:We may just have to agree to disagree, because I believe it is very much the wrong attitude. Just because I go in knowing I will succeed doesnt mean im not cognizant of the reality that it may not happen. But I promise you winners dont go in to games thinking they might lose. Its just not winner mentality.

You're basically saying that being optimistic is going to serve you well. Ironically the exact opposite may be true. See http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/ ... udy_finds/

NoleFin

Postby NoleFin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:55 am

bk1 wrote:
NoleFin wrote:Ya id be far below 60k. Closer to half of that. Debt at FSU is my last worry. People seem to not understand my intentions/expectations. I know its difficult and unlikely, its more of a pipe dream/something Id love to do in my spare time while having another job. I have no qualms about working in govt at all.

The reason people are so abrasive is because you keep saying ridiculous things. First you had a pipe dream of sports/politics. Then you thought you were guaranteed to be top of your class. Now you say the bolded. They all point to you having a very naive understanding of law school and the legal field which frustrates a lot of posters since they have seen naive posters make these same sorts of arguments time and time again.

Getting a government job is not easy. You seem to think it is a fallback position you can count on. It is not. Most law students would kill for a gov job.

Its ridiculous to have a dream? I ever said guarantee about anything? Its ridiculous to be OK with being an agent, or in govt? I said that getting a job in govt is easy?

Sounds like your putting an awful lot of words in my mouth.

NoleFin

Postby NoleFin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:55 am

bk1 wrote:
NoleFin wrote:We may just have to agree to disagree, because I believe it is very much the wrong attitude. Just because I go in knowing I will succeed doesnt mean im not cognizant of the reality that it may not happen. But I promise you winners dont go in to games thinking they might lose. Its just not winner mentality.

You're basically saying that being optimistic is going to serve you well. Ironically the exact opposite may be true. See http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/ ... udy_finds/

Your killing it with the assuming today man. When did I ever say that?

scottyc66

Postby scottyc66 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:56 am

This thread is like a car crash, I can't stop looking. I love OP's plan; sports agent with politician as his fallback and in the odd happenstance that doesn't happen he'll just do some government work. I'm sure biglaw is always waiting around for you if none of those work out, the world is your oyster!!!

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:57 am

NoleFin wrote:Its ridiculous to have a dream? I ever said guarantee about anything? Its ridiculous to be OK with being an agent, or in govt? I said that getting a job in govt is easy?

You implied those things, yes. It's not ridiculous to have a dream, but it is ridiculous to base a decision on something that has a low chance of occurring (which is essentially what you asked in your OP when you wanted to base a law school decision on sports/politics).

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:59 am

NoleFin wrote:Your killing it with the assuming today man. When did I ever say that?

If thinking

NoleFin wrote:I know personally if Im dedicated I will do it.

is not optimism, then I'm not sure what it is other than delusional.

NoleFin

Postby NoleFin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:00 pm

bk1 wrote:
NoleFin wrote:Its ridiculous to have a dream? I ever said guarantee about anything? Its ridiculous to be OK with being an agent, or in govt? I said that getting a job in govt is easy?

You implied those things, yes. It's not ridiculous to have a dream, but it is ridiculous to base a decision on something that has a low chance of occurring (which is essentially what you asked in your OP when you wanted to base a law school decision on sports/politics).

I love how its not possible you misinterpreted my words. Had to have been my fault.

And Christ man, STOP ASSUMING! Please!! I didnt ever say I was basing a decision on anything. I just wanted more information.

NoleFin

Postby NoleFin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:01 pm

bk1 wrote:
NoleFin wrote:Your killing it with the assuming today man. When did I ever say that?

If thinking

NoleFin wrote:I know personally if Im dedicated I will do it.

is not optimism, then I'm not sure what it is other than delusional.

Ya i was gonna actually include that was the one assumption you made that had substance. That was more of me saying I know I can do something, but Ill give you that one. You still made wildly far off assumptions on the other claims.

NoleFin

Postby NoleFin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:03 pm

scottyc66 wrote:This thread is like a car crash, I can't stop looking. I love OP's plan; sports agent with politician as his fallback and in the odd happenstance that doesn't happen he'll just do some government work. I'm sure biglaw is always waiting around for you if none of those work out, the world is your oyster!!!

*sigh* more sheep are coming to the party. Scotty, another TLS leader of knowing everything there is to know!

How dare I leave my options flexible while having hope/faith! Blasphemy!

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:04 pm

You asked for information, you got the correct information:

Jredelman15 wrote:Don't choose a law school on their educational specialty. Make the choice based on location and overall employment prospects. T-14

BigZuck wrote: retake and get into one of HYS, make top 10%, make a bunch of connections in the sports world, and pray.

Then you refused to believe the information.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:04 pm

NoleFin wrote:I love how its not possible you misinterpreted my words. Had to have been my fault.

Saying you are "okay with a gov job" implies that you think it is easy to get/a fallback position. Nobody says "you know what, I am okay with being President of the United States."

If you don't actually think that gov jobs are easy to get then that's good (because that's the truth). But your words did imply you think that getting a gov job was easy.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:05 pm

NoleFin wrote:
bk1 wrote:

I love how its not possible you misinterpreted my words. Had to have been my fault.

And Christ man, STOP ASSUMING! Please!! I didnt ever say I was basing a decision on anything. I just wanted more information.

this is what you asked

NoleFin wrote:My dream is to become a sports agent..if not I'd also like getting in to politics. What are the best Law Schools to attend to make this happen?

NoleFin

Postby NoleFin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:08 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:You asked for information, you got the correct information:

Jredelman15 wrote:Don't choose a law school on their educational specialty. Make the choice based on location and overall employment prospects. T-14

BigZuck wrote: retake and get into one of HYS, make top 10%, make a bunch of connections in the sports world, and pray.

I dont exactly get what your saying...the information im refusing to believe is you need to be in a T14 school to become an agent? If so yes, I refuse to believe what isnt true.

NoleFin

Postby NoleFin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:09 pm

bk1 wrote:
NoleFin wrote:I love how its not possible you misinterpreted my words. Had to have been my fault.

Saying you are "okay with a gov job" implies that you think it is easy to get/a fallback position. Nobody says "you know what, I am okay with being President of the United States."

If you don't actually think that gov jobs are easy to get then that's good (because that's the truth). But your words did imply you think that getting a gov job was easy.

Lol really? Go back and look at the comment I responded to. Someone said to me I have to be OK with working in govt. I said I am. Jesus Christ dude.

NoleFin

Postby NoleFin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:10 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
NoleFin wrote:
bk1 wrote:

this is what you asked

NoleFin wrote:My dream is to become a sports agent..if not I'd also like getting in to politics. What are the best Law Schools to attend to make this happen?

errr...point being?

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:12 pm

NoleFin wrote:What are the best Law Schools

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:13 pm

NoleFin wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:You asked for information, you got the correct information:

I dont exactly get what your saying...the information im refusing to believe is you need to be in a T14 school to become an agent? If so yes, I refuse to believe what isnt true.

Well now I think I've realized the problem, you are not reading that correctly. Of course there are people from non T14 schools that become successful sports agents, or successful politicians, or successful BigLaw lawyers, or rich lawyers etc. A lot of the richest and/or most famous lawyers went to terrible law schools. (They also graduated in a completely different world though).

The information you need to take away is that your best shot of having any kind of employment, including the unlikely possibility of being a sports agent, is to go to the absolute best school you can get into, in the region that you want to practice in.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:14 pm

NoleFin wrote:Do the world a favor and never get a job that involves interaction with people. You are a total joke of a person. I already know just from this small encounter with you that you have a shitty life, think your better than others, and are overall pessimistic about life. You probably were picked on in high school too.

Ergo,

NoleFin wrote:Your killing it with the assuming today man

NoleFin wrote:And Christ man, STOP ASSUMING! Please!!

NoleFin wrote:Grow up.

:lol:

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:15 pm

NoleFin wrote:Lol really? Go back and look at the comment I responded to. Someone said to me I have to be OK with working in govt. I said I am. Jesus Christ dude.

You're right. I didn't read the comment above yours and in context it makes more sense.

NoleFin

Postby NoleFin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:16 pm

Crowing wrote:
NoleFin wrote:Do the world a favor and never get a job that involves interaction with people. You are a total joke of a person. I already know just from this small encounter with you that you have a shitty life, think your better than others, and are overall pessimistic about life. You probably were picked on in high school too.

Ergo,

NoleFin wrote:Your killing it with the assuming today man

NoleFin wrote:And Christ man, STOP ASSUMING! Please!!

NoleFin wrote:Grow up.

:lol:

You stop in just to drop that gem of wisdom? Thanks man!

NoleFin

Postby NoleFin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:20 pm

bk1 wrote:
NoleFin wrote:Lol really? Go back and look at the comment I responded to. Someone said to me I have to be OK with working in govt. I said I am. Jesus Christ dude.

You're right. I didn't read the comment above yours and in context it makes more sense.

Thanks for at least acknowledging that. Youve actually been the most helpful poster yet, I just felt like you were misunderstanding what I was saying.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”