Sports Law/ Politics

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
NoleFin
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:08 pm

Re: Sports Law/ Politics

Postby NoleFin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:17 am

dextermorgan wrote:If you do go to school on the pipe dream of being an agent, be prepared to fall back into labor law.
Ludovico Technique wrote:
NoleFin wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:Scott Boras played baseball in college and in the minor leagues. He got his start as an agent because he had former teammates playing major league baseball.

It probably would be a worthwhile exercise for you to look up all the successful agents that didn't go to top 14 schools. Then figure out what year they graduated. Then look at what connections they had. Then try to find some figures about how many people had dreams of being a sports agent and compare it to how many successful agents there actually are.


Do the world a favor and never get a job that involves interaction with people. You are a total joke of a person. I already know just from this small encounter with you that you have a shitty life, think your better than others, and are overall pessimistic about life. You probably were picked on in high school too.

Your advice to anyone who has a dream "well doesnt look like you quite meet the median numbers, give up now LOSER!"

Ive looked up plenty, its you who is misinformed. Wow he played college baseball, what a big help for him. I already made it clear I know people, probably players better than he knew on his Pacific team. So im screwed because I dont have ties to those loaded athletes over at Pacific?

And obviously I know this is an uphill battle. Just like anything thats worth effort is. I dont expect to be Drew Rosenhaus in a year, but I know I have what it takes. I dont care what some Hello Kitty tool thinks.


You did not make it clear you "know people" you said you had a talented brother. Your dream is unrealistic. You don't have to give up on it, you just need to have a reliable back up plan in case you don't win the sports agent lottery. Retake the LSAT and go to the best law school you can go to.


Becoming an agent is not unrealistic. Thats simply not true. Difficult and unrealistic are not one in the same. I dont get your constant need to paint things as negatively as possible. I thought I mentioned more than my brother, my mistake. But I have friends whose parents are agents (one from the mighty Stetson), and plenty of old teammates (one who starts for UF, only thing is hell be getting an agent before i finished school.)

I think I can get in to FSU with my scores, so id rather do that than retake, and maybe waste another year for nothing.
dextermorgan wrote:If you do go to school on the pipe dream of being an agent, be prepared to fall back into labor law.

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: Sports Law/ Politics

Postby Ludo! » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:21 am

NoleFin wrote:
dextermorgan wrote:If you do go to school on the pipe dream of being an agent, be prepared to fall back into labor law.
Ludovico Technique wrote:
NoleFin wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:Scott Boras played baseball in college and in the minor leagues. He got his start as an agent because he had former teammates playing major league baseball.

It probably would be a worthwhile exercise for you to look up all the successful agents that didn't go to top 14 schools. Then figure out what year they graduated. Then look at what connections they had. Then try to find some figures about how many people had dreams of being a sports agent and compare it to how many successful agents there actually are.


Do the world a favor and never get a job that involves interaction with people. You are a total joke of a person. I already know just from this small encounter with you that you have a shitty life, think your better than others, and are overall pessimistic about life. You probably were picked on in high school too.

Your advice to anyone who has a dream "well doesnt look like you quite meet the median numbers, give up now LOSER!"

Ive looked up plenty, its you who is misinformed. Wow he played college baseball, what a big help for him. I already made it clear I know people, probably players better than he knew on his Pacific team. So im screwed because I dont have ties to those loaded athletes over at Pacific?

And obviously I know this is an uphill battle. Just like anything thats worth effort is. I dont expect to be Drew Rosenhaus in a year, but I know I have what it takes. I dont care what some Hello Kitty tool thinks.


You did not make it clear you "know people" you said you had a talented brother. Your dream is unrealistic. You don't have to give up on it, you just need to have a reliable back up plan in case you don't win the sports agent lottery. Retake the LSAT and go to the best law school you can go to.


Becoming an agent is not unrealistic. Thats simply not true. Difficult and unrealistic are not one in the same. I dont get your constant need to paint things as negatively as possible. I thought I mentioned more than my brother, my mistake. But I have friends whose parents are agents (one from the mighty Stetson), and plenty of old teammates (one who starts for UF, only thing is hell be getting an agent before i finished school.)

I think I can get in to FSU with my scores, so id rather do that than retake, and maybe waste another year for nothing.
dextermorgan wrote:If you do go to school on the pipe dream of being an agent, be prepared to fall back into labor law.


Calling it "difficult" makes it sound like you can achieve it if you just work hard. Hard work is necessary but not sufficient. It's going to take a lot of luck. If you really have legit connections then that's a good start. But if it doesn't work out, you want to put yourself in the best position to get another job.

User avatar
dextermorgan
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 am

Re: Sports Law/ Politics

Postby dextermorgan » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:21 am

NoleFin wrote:
dextermorgan wrote:If you do go to school on the pipe dream of being an agent, be prepared to fall back into labor law.
Ludovico Technique wrote:
NoleFin wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:Scott Boras played baseball in college and in the minor leagues. He got his start as an agent because he had former teammates playing major league baseball.

It probably would be a worthwhile exercise for you to look up all the successful agents that didn't go to top 14 schools. Then figure out what year they graduated. Then look at what connections they had. Then try to find some figures about how many people had dreams of being a sports agent and compare it to how many successful agents there actually are.


Do the world a favor and never get a job that involves interaction with people. You are a total joke of a person. I already know just from this small encounter with you that you have a shitty life, think your better than others, and are overall pessimistic about life. You probably were picked on in high school too.

Your advice to anyone who has a dream "well doesnt look like you quite meet the median numbers, give up now LOSER!"

Ive looked up plenty, its you who is misinformed. Wow he played college baseball, what a big help for him. I already made it clear I know people, probably players better than he knew on his Pacific team. So im screwed because I dont have ties to those loaded athletes over at Pacific?

And obviously I know this is an uphill battle. Just like anything thats worth effort is. I dont expect to be Drew Rosenhaus in a year, but I know I have what it takes. I dont care what some Hello Kitty tool thinks.


You did not make it clear you "know people" you said you had a talented brother. Your dream is unrealistic. You don't have to give up on it, you just need to have a reliable back up plan in case you don't win the sports agent lottery. Retake the LSAT and go to the best law school you can go to.


Becoming an agent is not unrealistic. Thats simply not true. Difficult and unrealistic are not one in the same. I dont get your constant need to paint things as negatively as possible. I thought I mentioned more than my brother, my mistake. But I have friends whose parents are agents (one from the mighty Stetson), and plenty of old teammates (one who starts for UF, only thing is hell be getting an agent before i finished school.)

I think I can get in to FSU with my scores, so id rather do that than retake, and maybe waste another year for nothing.
dextermorgan wrote:If you do go to school on the pipe dream of being an agent, be prepared to fall back into labor law.

You really don't understand how shitty the legal market is do you?

NoleFin
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:08 pm

Re: Sports Law/ Politics

Postby NoleFin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:21 am

cahwc12 wrote:I might get reprimanded or temp-banned for this, but you went to my alma mater and you embarrass me.

You sound like a dumb-shit idiot and your poor grammar and hyper-defensiveness are a clear indication that you are woefully unprepared both emotionally and intellectually to have any chance at being a successful sports agent.

Further, the fact that you believe a JD "couldn't hurt" on the path to becoming a sports agent shows how little diligence you've exercised, and yet you are perhaps on the verge of diving six figures into debt to realize your dream of being a professionally unemployed sports fan.

There might be some elitism on this board, but these people are all giving you real advice that you should heed. You're about to make a horrible, life-wrecking decision to go to law school for exactly the wrong reasons. The only one you're missing is "my parents want me to go" which you may simply have left out.


The fact that you will get banned from this site for saying I embarrass you tells me all I need to know about this place. "Some" elitism??Haha, ya....right, keep telling yourself that.

I am however crushed that I embarrassed you :(. Grow up.

Real advice is great, but not when i have to sift through bulls*** and negativity to get a simple message. You dont know my intentions, you dont know how much ive read in to this, so stop assuming.

And btw, grammar nazis are the worst type of people. If I wanted to itd be in perfect grammar, but this is a message board, not a school buddy.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Sports Law/ Politics

Postby bk1 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:24 am

NoleFin wrote:Becoming an agent is not unrealistic. Thats simply not true. Difficult and unrealistic are not one in the same. I dont get your constant need to paint things as negatively as possible. I thought I mentioned more than my brother, my mistake. But I have friends whose parents are agents (one from the mighty Stetson), and plenty of old teammates (one who starts for UF, only thing is hell be getting an agent before i finished school.)

I think I can get in to FSU with my scores, so id rather do that than retake, and maybe waste another year for nothing.


It is unrealistic in the sense that it is an objectively unlikely outcome to happen to you. The reason that it is unrealistic is because it is difficult. The problem with going to law school - any law school, even HYS - with the dream of being a sports agent is that it doesn't make sense to sink 3 years and thousands of dollars into something that has a low probability of happening. The same is true of politics. You likely will not become a politician (and if all you wanted to do was be a staffer/aide then there are better paths than law school).

That's not to say you definitely shouldn't go to law school. That's also not to say you definitely shouldn't try to become an agent. It's more that you should go to law school if it is a good investment (schools like Baltimore/Stetson/etc are not and even FSU requires a scholarship) AND if you actually want to be a regular lawyer since that is the most likely outcome. If you get into a law school that is a good investment and want to be a regular lawyer, go and shoot for being an agent. That way at least when the most likely scenario (you not being an agent) happens, at least you are okay with the fallback.

NoleFin
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:08 pm

Re: Sports Law/ Politics

Postby NoleFin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:25 am

You really don't understand how shitty the legal market is do you?[/quote]


I do. Im not in it for money though unlike Im sure everyone on this board is.

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: Sports Law/ Politics

Postby Ludo! » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:26 am

NoleFin wrote:

I do. Im not in it for money though unlike Im sure everyone on this board is.


Lolwut. The legal market isn't 'you will only get a low paying job' shitty, it's 'you might not get any job at all and have a mountain of debt' shitty.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Sports Law/ Politics

Postby bk1 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:27 am

NoleFin wrote:
You really don't understand how shitty the legal market is do you?

I do. Im not in it for money though unlike Im sure everyone on this board is.


It's not about money. When he says the legal market is shitty they mean jobs. There are tons of grads who aren't getting legal jobs at all. Though the low salaries are an additional problem when you factor in that most law schools will leave people with $200,000 - $300,000 worth of debt.

User avatar
Ruxin1
Posts: 1284
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:12 pm

Re: Sports Law/ Politics

Postby Ruxin1 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:28 am

This is your dream that is great, I commend you. However, how you started this thread is why you are getting negative advice. You have said you have real connections, knowing a couple agents is not connections. Since you have no clients and no experience playing in college/professionally you are going to need to get hired at an agency. Do you have any connections at one of the large agencies?

Knowing kids that start in college is great - but the odds they get picked are slim. Do you have the capital to pay for all their gym memberships and what not after the season before they sign? Do you have the cash to send your picks gifts? The key to TLS is not going into something thinking you know everything.

NoleFin
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:08 pm

Re: Sports Law/ Politics

Postby NoleFin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:29 am

bk1 wrote:
NoleFin wrote:Becoming an agent is not unrealistic. Thats simply not true. Difficult and unrealistic are not one in the same. I dont get your constant need to paint things as negatively as possible. I thought I mentioned more than my brother, my mistake. But I have friends whose parents are agents (one from the mighty Stetson), and plenty of old teammates (one who starts for UF, only thing is hell be getting an agent before i finished school.)

I think I can get in to FSU with my scores, so id rather do that than retake, and maybe waste another year for nothing.


It is unrealistic in the sense that it is an objectively unlikely outcome to happen to you. The reason that it is unrealistic is because it is difficult. The problem with going to law school - any law school, even HYS - with the dream of being a sports agent is that it doesn't make sense to sink 3 years and thousands of dollars into something that has a low probability of happening. The same is true of politics. You likely will not become a politician (and if all you wanted to do was be a staffer/aide then there are better paths than law school).

That's not to say you definitely shouldn't go to law school. That's also not to say you definitely shouldn't try to become an agent. It's more that you should go to law school if it is a good investment (schools like Baltimore/Stetson/etc are not and even FSU requires a scholarship) AND if you actually want to be a regular lawyer since that is the most likely outcome. If you get into a law school that is a good investment and want to be a regular lawyer, go and shoot for being an agent. That way at least when the most likely scenario (you not being an agent) happens, at least you are okay with the fallback.


Finally 30 comments later, a sensible, non passive-aggressive, non elitist comment to what I asked. I genuinely appreciate sir/maam. You are very correct, its difficult. I guess its semantics, difficult and unrealistic just seem far apart to me. I have the money to go to FSU without taking on a dollar of debt though as well. It would only cost under 60 grand in tuition without scholarship.

Yes I am very fine with not being an agent, its not my only passion. I just wanted people to give me some insight, not tear me apart and tell me I cant go.

NoleFin
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:08 pm

Re: Sports Law/ Politics

Postby NoleFin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:31 am

Ruxin1 wrote:This is your dream that is great, I commend you. However, how you started this thread is why you are getting negative advice. You have said you have real connections, knowing a couple agents is not connections. Since you have no clients and no experience playing in college/professionally you are going to need to get hired at an agency. Do you have any connections at one of the large agencies?

Knowing kids that start in college is great - but the odds they get picked are slim. Do you have the capital to pay for all their gym memberships and what not after the season before they sign? Do you have the cash to send your picks gifts? The key to TLS is not going into something thinking you know everything.


Maybe its because of "how i sarted this thread" but thats not an excuse for everyone to be a dick. Knowing high profile agents who have represented such clients as Marvin Harrisson- yes thats a real connection.

And I have money yes. I didnt want to disclose all of my information with everyone. I just wanted some basic answers about schools. Too much to ask for on this board I see.

NoleFin
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:08 pm

Re: Sports Law/ Politics

Postby NoleFin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:33 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:
NoleFin wrote:

I do. Im not in it for money though unlike Im sure everyone on this board is.


Lolwut. The legal market isn't 'you will only get a low paying job' shitty, it's 'you might not get any job at all and have a mountain of debt' shitty.


So if I graduate top 10% in my class you think I wont find a job?

User avatar
dextermorgan
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 am

Re: Sports Law/ Politics

Postby dextermorgan » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:34 am

NoleFin wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:
NoleFin wrote:

I do. Im not in it for money though unlike Im sure everyone on this board is.


Lolwut. The legal market isn't 'you will only get a low paying job' shitty, it's 'you might not get any job at all and have a mountain of debt' shitty.


So if I graduate top 10% in my class you think I wont find a job?

You realize there is a 90% chance of that not happening, right?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Sports Law/ Politics

Postby bk1 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:34 am

NoleFin wrote:So if I graduate top 10% in my class you think I wont find a job?


You have a 90% chance of not being in the top 10% of your class. You really shouldn't bank on being anything other than median.

It's also true that people in the top 10% of struggle to find legal employment.

NoleFin
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:08 pm

Re: Sports Law/ Politics

Postby NoleFin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:37 am

cahwc12 wrote:I might get reprimanded or temp-banned for this, but you went to my alma mater and you embarrass me.

You sound like a dumb-shit idiot and your poor grammar and hyper-defensiveness are a clear indication that you are woefully unprepared both emotionally and intellectually to have any chance at being a successful sports agent.

Further, the fact that you believe a JD "couldn't hurt" on the path to becoming a sports agent shows how little diligence you've exercised, and yet you are perhaps on the verge of diving six figures into debt to realize your dream of being a professionally unemployed sports fan.

There might be some elitism on this board, but these people are all giving you real advice that you should heed. You're about to make a horrible, life-wrecking decision to go to law school for exactly the wrong reasons. The only one you're missing is "my parents want me to go" which you may simply have left out.


O and you perhaps, dont know what the hell your talking about. I'm not gonna be in debt, dont worry about me pal.

And my "hyper-defensiveness" is not that at all. Its me trying to set a bunch of snobs strait who don't get how to interact with people. Same reason you probably dont have a wife/girlfriend and if you do shes probably ugly/a bitch.

Ya i can assume wildly based on your words too buddy.

NoleFin
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:08 pm

Re: Sports Law/ Politics

Postby NoleFin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:39 am

bk1 wrote:
NoleFin wrote:So if I graduate top 10% in my class you think I wont find a job?


You have a 90% chance of not being in the top 10% of your class. You really shouldn't bank on being anything other than median.

It's also true that people in the top 10% of struggle to find legal employment.


I understand math. However going into school thinking that is the wrong attitude. Obviously you guys have no reason to believe me, so im not trying to persuade you, but I know personally if Im dedicated I will do it.

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Sports Law/ Politics

Postby Rahviveh » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:39 am

Under 60k of debt is a good price for FSU. Anything more than that is a ripoff, really. You just need better expectations of what kind of work youll be doing. Youll most likely end up in a small law firm if you get legal work, or in the government.

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: Sports Law/ Politics

Postby Ludo! » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:41 am

NoleFin wrote:
bk1 wrote:
NoleFin wrote:So if I graduate top 10% in my class you think I wont find a job?


You have a 90% chance of not being in the top 10% of your class. You really shouldn't bank on being anything other than median.

It's also true that people in the top 10% of struggle to find legal employment.


I understand math. However going into school thinking that is the wrong attitude. Obviously you guys have no reason to believe me, so im not trying to persuade you, but I know personally if Im dedicated I will do it.


That's not how law school works

NoleFin
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:08 pm

Re: Sports Law/ Politics

Postby NoleFin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:43 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:
NoleFin wrote:
bk1 wrote:
NoleFin wrote:So if I graduate top 10% in my class you think I wont find a job?


You have a 90% chance of not being in the top 10% of your class. You really shouldn't bank on being anything other than median.

It's also true that people in the top 10% of struggle to find legal employment.


I understand math. However going into school thinking that is the wrong attitude. Obviously you guys have no reason to believe me, so im not trying to persuade you, but I know personally if Im dedicated I will do it.


That's not how law school works


Lol come on man why do you just love being so negative. Give it a break. You dont know my potential, please dont act otherwise.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Sports Law/ Politics

Postby bk1 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:44 am

NoleFin wrote:I understand math. However going into school thinking that is the wrong attitude. Obviously you guys have no reason to believe me, so im not trying to persuade you, but I know personally if Im dedicated I will do it.


It's not "the wrong attitude," it is simply recognizing the truth. I went into school knowing full well there was a 50% chance I would end up below median. It didn't mean that I didn't work hard and try hard, it merely meant that I was cognizant of reality. It also didn't mean I didn't do well.

If you think that you will definitely get good grades you are fooling yourself. You are competing on a curve against people just as smart and just as hard working as yourself. You should have an idea what you're going to do if you do have bad grades.

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Sports Law/ Politics

Postby Rahviveh » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:45 am

NoleFin wrote:Lol come on man why do you just love being so negative. Give it a break. You dont know my potential, please dont act otherwise.


Do you know the potential of the rest of your classmates at FSU?

NoleFin
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:08 pm

Re: Sports Law/ Politics

Postby NoleFin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:45 am

ChampagnePapi wrote:Under 60k of debt is a good price for FSU. Anything more than that is a ripoff, really. You just need better expectations of what kind of work youll be doing. Youll most likely end up in a small law firm if you get legal work, or in the government.


Ya id be far below 60k. Closer to half of that. Debt at FSU is my last worry. People seem to not understand my intentions/expectations. I know its difficult and unlikely, its more of a pipe dream/something Id love to do in my spare time while having another job. I have no qualms about working in govt at all.

User avatar
dextermorgan
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 am

Re: Sports Law/ Politics

Postby dextermorgan » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:48 am

You probably shouldn't go into law if you don't like being around "elitists" "snobs" and "dicks"

User avatar
Ludo!
Posts: 4764
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Re: Sports Law/ Politics

Postby Ludo! » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:49 am

NoleFin wrote:Lol come on man why do you just love being so negative. Give it a break. You dont know my potential, please dont act otherwise.


Why do you think being realistic is being negative? Potential has nothing to do with law school grades. It's not enough to work hard or be smart. You have to know how to take law school exams (which is something you can't really know until you get your grades back) and there is a good amount of luck involved.

NoleFin
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:08 pm

Re: Sports Law/ Politics

Postby NoleFin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:49 am

bk1 wrote:
NoleFin wrote:I understand math. However going into school thinking that is the wrong attitude. Obviously you guys have no reason to believe me, so im not trying to persuade you, but I know personally if Im dedicated I will do it.


It's not "the wrong attitude," it is simply recognizing the truth. I went into school knowing full well there was a 50% chance I would end up below median. It didn't mean that I didn't work hard and try hard, it merely meant that I was cognizant of reality. It also didn't mean I didn't do well.

If you think that you will definitely get good grades you are fooling yourself. You are competing on a curve against people just as smart and just as hard working as yourself. You should have an idea what you're going to do if you do have bad grades.


We may just have to agree to disagree, because I believe it is very much the wrong attitude. Just because I go in knowing I will succeed doesnt mean im not cognizant of the reality that it may not happen. But I promise you winners dont go in to games thinking they might lose. Its just not winner mentality.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aaron1621 and 4 guests