Sports Law/ Politics Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
NoleFin

New

Re: Sports Law/ Politics

Post by NoleFin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:05 pm

psm11 wrote:
NoleFin wrote:
psm11 wrote:I spent a summer at WME and my advice to you would be to forego law school and start working in the sports field. Ideally, and this is really the only way to make it as an agent (unless, on your own, you land a superstar client and take him to the big leagues) is to get into a mail room of an agency and, after a year or so, apply to their internal agent training program (at least that is the procedure at WME). In your case you would want to shoot for an agency that has a focus on sports like IMG or maybe CAA because they have a growing sports department. Getting into the mailroom at one of these places is as hard, probably harder, than getting into a t-14 law school and most of the people, including myself, secured a job through a family connection who works in the business. Sports/Entertainment field is a field that everyone wants so it is very hard to break into it. Don't waste 3 years on a degree that you probably will not use if this is the field you decide to pursue. Start mass mailing your local sports teams, local sports agents, big agencies, etc and start building connections that could help land you a job at a big agency.

Thanks a lot this is great advice. I never "planned" on becoming an agent. Thats why i specifically referred to it as a pipedream. However many posters took that as me having no idea what I was getting into and only wanting to attend Law School to become the next Drew Rosenhaus.

I know this is unlikely, but maybe one day. I still love everything about the study of law so even if this doesnt workout, I wont be crushed.

Yeah sorry I just skipped to the end of the thread and threw some of my experience in the mix. Being an agent is certainly not easy but it also doesn't have to be a "pipedream". If you bust your ass and make some solid connections and build up a resume with significant experience in the sports field (like working for the NFL team in your hometown or working for an attorney in your hometown who reps MLB, NFL, or NBA players -- granted they don't have to rep Kobe or Lebron -- these guys can put you in touch with other people who may work for the NBA, NFL etc and help land you a job at an agency). I never really worked in the sports field but I have friends who work for the Lakers and stuff and it seems pretty similar to showbiz, that is, everything is about the connections you make.

If it's something you really want I'd say move out to California or to the city of what ever sports team will give you a job and start being around the business.

Awesome, thanks again for the constructive advice. Im definitely going to start looking more into that.

NoleFin

New

Post by NoleFin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:28 pm

WanderingPondering wrote:
NoleFin wrote:Thank you to all 3 of the posts above me. All good advice. As bluejeans noted, Ill know hopefully soon about FSU. You guys have made your point clear though. Sorry for coming off as a prick to those of you I lashed out at. Some of you kinda deserved it though lol. Nonetheless your points have been duly noted and I will now consider the thought of retaking.
It only took 164 posts to get here, but we did it!

Good work TLS!
And to think it only took a couple non-sarcastic responses!! :wink:

Chickensoup

Bronze

Post by Chickensoup » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:07 pm

NoleFin wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:Scott Boras played baseball in college and in the minor leagues. He got his start as an agent because he had former teammates playing major league baseball.

It probably would be a worthwhile exercise for you to look up all the successful agents that didn't go to top 14 schools. Then figure out what year they graduated. Then look at what connections they had. Then try to find some figures about how many people had dreams of being a sports agent and compare it to how many successful agents there actually are.
Do the world a favor and never get a job that involves interaction with people. You are a total joke of a person. I already know just from this small encounter with you that you have a shitty life, think your better than others, and are overall pessimistic about life. You probably were picked on in high school too.

Your advice to anyone who has a dream "well doesnt look like you quite meet the median numbers, give up now LOSER!"

Ive looked up plenty, its you who is misinformed. Wow he played college baseball, what a big help for him. I already made it clear I know people, probably players better than he knew on his Pacific team. So im screwed because I dont have ties to those loaded athletes over at Pacific?

And obviously I know this is an uphill battle. Just like anything thats worth effort is. I dont expect to be Drew Rosenhaus in a year, but I know I have what it takes. I dont care what some Hello Kitty tool thinks.
TITCR. These TLS clowns don't know their ass from their elbow.

nickb285

Silver

Post by nickb285 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:22 pm

Hey look, Chickensoup is talking out of his elbow again!

vpintz

Silver

Post by vpintz » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:25 pm

nickb285 wrote:Hey look, Chickensoup is talking out of his elbow again!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:33 pm

North

Gold

Post by North » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:55 pm

Well, I suppose somebody did have to commend the dude nickb285 for what was actually a decently funny one liner. Better a month late than never.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:24 am

dextermorgan wrote:Image

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”