Sports Law/ Politics

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
NoleFin

Sports Law/ Politics

Postby NoleFin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:16 am

My dream is to become a sports agent..if not I'd also like getting in to politics. What are the best Law Schools to attend to make this happen? Any advice regarding either would be great.

GPA 3.5 LSAT 162

Jredelman15

Re: Sports Law/ Politics

Postby Jredelman15 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:27 am

NoleFin wrote:My dream is to become a sports agent..if not I'd also like getting in to politics. What are the best Law Schools to attend to make this happen? Any advice regarding either would be great.

GPA 3.5 LSAT 162

If you want to go into politics a JD might help but ultimately you don't need one, Rick Perry was a farmer and graduated with like a 2.7 from college, no shit he is dumb. For an agent you will not make much money and it is really cutthroat. most of the signings you make are from connections and there is tons of grunt work. This all came from a friend who did an informational interview with a sports agent.

EDIT: Don't choose a law school on their educational specialty. Make the choice based on location and overall employment prospects. T-14

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:29 am

Are you good friends with lots of super athletically talented high schoolers?

NoleFin

Postby NoleFin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:03 am

To some degree. My little brother is just finishing high school and has a lot of talent so Im hoping that could work. I know its cutthroat but I think I could really succeed in the field. FSU has a joint JD/sports management program that ive started looking into but have not gotten much info as of yet.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:07 am

What sport does he play?

dr123

Postby dr123 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:08 am

Becoming a politician is a solid back up plan

NoleFin

Postby NoleFin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:13 am

Football, so obviously the chances are slim but hes got a shot. If not I have a few other ties with guys I think I could recruit. I know law isnt necessary for it but I figured it couldn't hurt as well as leaving me the other route with politics.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:19 am

Being a sports agent would be a truly baller lifestyle, but it is super hard to get into so I would read up before you get your heart set. And a J.D. won't really help for politics. That is all about meeting people, raising money, etc.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:46 am

FLAME. A bad one at that.

If you wanted to make this happen you should have performed better on the LSAT and in college. In case this is real, retake and get into one of HYS, make top 10%, make a bunch of connections in the sports world, and pray.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:55 am

BigZuck wrote:FLAME. A bad one at that.

If you wanted to make this happen you should have performed better on the LSAT and in college. In case this is real, retake and get into one of HYS, make top 10%, make a bunch of connections in the sports world, and pray.

This. How did it take so many posts to get to the right answer

NoleFin

Postby NoleFin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:44 am

Lol you guys are a joke. So Tom Condon, one of the most successful agents in the NFL went to Baltimore. He probably had people tell him the same thing.

What is with the elitist attitude on this site? Just because you dont get into a top 14 law school doesnt mean you cant be successful. If you think otherwise your a clown.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:46 am

NoleFin wrote:Lol you guys are a joke. So Tom Condon, one of the most successful agents in the NFL went to Baltimore. He probably had people tell him the same thing.

What is with the elitist attitude on this site? Just because you dont get into a top 14 law school doesnt mean you cant be successful. If you think otherwise your a clown.

He also played in the NFL. Are you in the NFL?

TheZoid

Postby TheZoid » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:48 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:
NoleFin wrote:Lol you guys are a joke. So Tom Condon, one of the most successful agents in the NFL went to Baltimore. He probably had people tell him the same thing.

He also played in the NFL. Are you in the NFL?

Lol this. And he was head of the Players Association.

NoleFin

Postby NoleFin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:51 am

Alright smartass. This site is funny. Theres other successful agents who didnt go to to top 14 schools, would you like me to look them up for you? Or would you just like to make another worthless o-so witty comment?

NoleFin

Postby NoleFin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:57 am

Scott Boras. There I did it for you anyway. Went to the prestigious university of Pacific McGeorge. Now his clients include Prince and Strasburg.

But ya he probably shouldnt have become an agent, I mean gosh, he didnt go to Duke! What was this idiot thinking?

Amazing theres been 15 replies here, and not one of them has listed me a single school where they specialize in what I asked about. You guys would rather spout off about how 85th percentile is a terrible LSAT score, just give up ur dreams.

Tools.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:00 am

Scott Boras played baseball in college and in the minor leagues. He got his start as an agent because he had former teammates playing major league baseball.

It probably would be a worthwhile exercise for you to look up all the successful agents that didn't go to top 14 schools. Then figure out what year they graduated. Then look at what connections they had. Then try to find some figures about how many people had dreams of being a sports agent and compare it to how many successful agents there actually are.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:04 am

Unless you have serious connections in the sports world you will not be successful in sports law. Sorry.

If you do, with your numbers you might want to look at Tulane. Although it is doubtful that you will receive a scholarship large enough to make it worth attending.

As for politics, the best idea is to to go the state flagship school in the state you want to run in, and get involved with the dominant party (unless you have some illusion about doing what you believe in in politics, in which case you're fucked).

crazycanuck

Postby crazycanuck » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:06 am

Jay Feaster (GM of the Calgary Flames) didn't play hockey. He went to Georgetown. He wasn't involved in hockey in way way until about 15 years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Feaster

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:07 am

I'm glad people are just giving the 10 or so times this has worked -

But honestly an agency is going to be really weary of you if you didn't play in college or pro and do not have any connects.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:08 am

crazycanuck wrote:Jay Feaster (GM of the Calgary Flames) didn't play hockey. He went to Georgetown. He wasn't involved in hockey in way way until about 15 years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Feaster

Went to T14 school, graduated in the 80s, got a job with a firm that represented a hockey team. Do you see those as likely outcomes for OP?

NoleFin

Postby NoleFin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:09 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:Scott Boras played baseball in college and in the minor leagues. He got his start as an agent because he had former teammates playing major league baseball.

It probably would be a worthwhile exercise for you to look up all the successful agents that didn't go to top 14 schools. Then figure out what year they graduated. Then look at what connections they had. Then try to find some figures about how many people had dreams of being a sports agent and compare it to how many successful agents there actually are.

Do the world a favor and never get a job that involves interaction with people. You are a total joke of a person. I already know just from this small encounter with you that you have a shitty life, think your better than others, and are overall pessimistic about life. You probably were picked on in high school too.

Your advice to anyone who has a dream "well doesnt look like you quite meet the median numbers, give up now LOSER!"

Ive looked up plenty, its you who is misinformed. Wow he played college baseball, what a big help for him. I already made it clear I know people, probably players better than he knew on his Pacific team. So im screwed because I dont have ties to those loaded athletes over at Pacific?

And obviously I know this is an uphill battle. Just like anything thats worth effort is. I dont expect to be Drew Rosenhaus in a year, but I know I have what it takes. I dont care what some Hello Kitty tool thinks.

NoleFin

Postby NoleFin » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:11 am

Ruxin1 wrote:I'm glad people are just giving the 10 or so times this has worked -

But honestly an agency is going to be really weary of you if you didn't play in college or pro and do not have any connects.

So you think there are "10 or so" agents out there who didnt play professionally or who didnt graduate from a T14 school? Really?

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:12 am

NoleFin wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:Scott Boras played baseball in college and in the minor leagues. He got his start as an agent because he had former teammates playing major league baseball.

Do the world a favor and never get a job that involves interaction with people. You are a total joke of a person. I already know just from this small encounter with you that you have a shitty life, think your better than others, and are overall pessimistic about life. You probably were picked on in high school too.

Your advice to anyone who has a dream "well doesnt look like you quite meet the median numbers, give up now LOSER!"

Ive looked up plenty, its you who is misinformed. Wow he played college baseball, what a big help for him. I already made it clear I know people, probably players better than he knew on his Pacific team. So im screwed because I dont have ties to those loaded athletes over at Pacific?

And obviously I know this is an uphill battle. Just like anything thats worth effort is. I dont expect to be Drew Rosenhaus in a year, but I know I have what it takes. I dont care what some Hello Kitty tool thinks.

You did not make it clear you "know people" you said you had a talented brother. Your dream is unrealistic. You don't have to give up on it, you just need to have a reliable back up plan in case you don't win the sports agent lottery. Retake the LSAT and go to the best law school you can go to.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:13 am

If you do go to school on the pipe dream of being an agent, be prepared to fall back into labor law.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:15 am

I might get reprimanded or temp-banned for this, but you went to my alma mater and you embarrass me.

You sound like a dumb-shit idiot and your poor grammar and hyper-defensiveness are a clear indication that you are woefully unprepared both emotionally and intellectually to have any chance at being a successful sports agent.

Further, the fact that you believe a JD "couldn't hurt" on the path to becoming a sports agent shows how little diligence you've exercised, and yet you are perhaps on the verge of diving six figures into debt to realize your dream of being a professionally unemployed sports fan.

There might be some elitism on this board, but these people are all giving you real advice that you should heed. You're about to make a horrible, life-wrecking decision to go to law school for exactly the wrong reasons. The only one you're missing is "my parents want me to go" which you may simply have left out.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”