My story...hopefully preventing others also.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
atmabz

My story...hopefully preventing others also.

Postby atmabz » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:01 am

So because this is my first post I am probably going to get flamed, but I just wanted to share my story and maybe it will save one person from making a bad choice.

It all started with a dream and a relatively good G.P.A. However my lsat was not great at all. It got me accepted into a handful of TTTT level law schools and I figured “The lsat has nothing to do with law school so I will probably do fine”.

Ok…I started in 2011…1st semester I was put on probation. Spoke to the dean and was told if I got dismissed all I would need is a rec from one of my professors and an overall improvement in grades and I would get accepted back in. Well I got more than 4 professors to write me recs and I fell short of a 2.0 overall but had a huge improvement and I still got kicked out.
I know I am not stupid but now that I think about it maybe I am just one of those people who should not be in law school. I had family health emergencies during the whole year which distracted me but they weren’t horrible, scary, yes, but not tragic so I don’t think it should have affected me so drastically.

Anyway the point of this story is this: Make sure you go to a good school. I know that there are many people on this board and in the real world who go to TTTT level law schools and get jobs but when the law school you are in tells you the first week in orientation that you will not find work unless you have extremely good grades but we curve you all to a C it should sound off alarms in your head. Now I am in over $100,000 worth of debt, I can’t find work with the B.S. degree I have and it is so bad that I am actually considering to go back to undergrad and start over but I am deathly afraid to get into more debt.

If you think people are lying to you about TTTT level schools…well…where there is smoke, there is usually fire.

Some of you may read this and think “oh this person is just too stupid it won’t happen to me I will get all A’s and get a great job”….I was like that also. Dean’s list student, hard studier, professors said I was the student they wish everyone could be like and guess what it happened to me.

This debt will not go away unless the president forgives all loans which I am not counting on. I may never own a home, heck I may never even have children because I just don’t know if I can dig myself out of this hole that I am in now. These schools accept people who should not be there, take their money, and then throw them out. Maybe I would be singing a different tune if I was a great student but I see my friends who weren't dismissed and they can barely find internships.

I am not putting anyone down but please seriously consider this. I wish someone would have sat me down and talked me out of this instead of hyping me up.

If you have any questions I will gladly answer them but I am not going to name the school I went to but it def was a "crap" school in that no one respects it and after reading other reviews on here about the school and seeing other posters dismissing other's warnings I figured I should share my story.

jump_man

Re: My story...hopefully preventing others also.

Postby jump_man » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:12 am

There are jobs for you if you are a plant man (LinkRemoved)

But seriously, that's a very sad story that I'm sure is typical of many TTTT students. Are you looking for work in other industries?

atmabz

Postby atmabz » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:19 am

jump_man wrote:There are jobs for you if you are a plant man (LinkRemoved)

But seriously, that's a very sad story that I'm sure is typical of many TTTT students. Are you looking for work in other industries?

Yes I am looking for work in the area that I got my undergrad in but I have a bad resume. I have a one year gap and I do not even want to put the fact that I was in law school on my resume. I dont want employers to see the school name or ask why I am not attending anymore and I am pretty sure the gap is hurting my chances of finding employment. I am also in a city that is not where I am from and I feel like many employers are not hiring me because I am not from around here.

atmabz

Postby atmabz » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:20 am

Wormfather wrote:My heart breaks for you, hopefully at least one person will read this and think twice.

Thank you and so do I!

jump_man

Postby jump_man » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:24 am

atmabz wrote:

Yes I am looking for work in the area that I got my undergrad in but I have a bad resume. I have a one year gap and I do not even want to put the fact that I was in law school on my resume. I dont want employers to see the school name or ask why I am not attending anymore and I am pretty sure the gap is hurting my chances of finding employment. I am also in a city that is not where I am from and I feel like many employers are not hiring me because I am not from around here.

It's too bad you can't get hired as a career counselor to teach people how terrible TTTTs really are . . .

Best of luck with the job search! I'll keep your career in my prayers 8)

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:25 am

Never give up man. What was your first real passion before you pursued law school? Pursue that, you never know this could have been a (expensive) blessing in disguise. My point though, is that you seem like you got a great head on your shoulders, so dont let one bump keep you down.

FattyMcFatFat

Postby FattyMcFatFat » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:55 am

I had sympathy for you until the seventh paragraph. Call me an asshole if you want, but you put the information out here and now you're getting feedback. The following is the type of thing that people need to be forced to recognize, however painful, especially when they bring an issue up on their own. The consequence of allowing people to pretend the following is just "insensitive" or otherwise immaterial is to incentivize the very sort of conduct in which you engaged.

Question: What impact would this:
atmabz wrote:This debt will not go away unless the president forgives all loans which I am not counting on.

... ignoring the fact that the President probably does not have the authority to do this, have had on your decision? I may just be dumb :roll: , but knowing that there was a reasonable possibility that I would be able to impose the cost of my foolish decision on other people would only encourage me to make that foolish decision. (You understand that taxpayers would be paying for your actions, right? As an aside, the fact that they had no direct influence over your decision (assuming the President could unilaterally make this decision) sounds an awful lot like taxation without representation, at least in a moral, if not legal sense, doesn't it?)

Other than that nonsense (not sure why you seemed to think it supported, rather than refuted, the apparent point of the rest of your post), I understand where you are coming from and I wish you the best. It is truly a sad situation, but that does not entitle you to play Millennial and pretend you are some sort of victim who should be free to force the consequences of a decision that you made of your own free will onto someone else. I still hope things turn out OK for you, but if I have to pay dime for your decision, my tune will change irrespective of the manner in which loan "forgiveness" might hypothetically be attained. / rant.

Buck.Shot

Postby Buck.Shot » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:09 am

atmabz wrote: Ok…I started in 2011…Now I am in over $100,000 worth of debt

If you started in September of 2011 then, at the latest, you would be about half way through your third semester by now. How on earth did you incur over $100,000 in student loans in such a short time?

atmabz

Postby atmabz » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:23 am

Your not an asshole and i agree with everything you said. I actually do not believe anyone should have to pay back anyone elses loans. You read too far into that line. I should have said something like "this debt wont go away unless (insert something else). I have been reading alot of student loan (political blogs) which is probably why i typed that. I am not a victim and i dont expect anyone except myself to be responsible for my debt. I apologize for getting you angry!! Not my intentions at all and i should have elaborated. I was just trying to make a point of how the debt is permanent. Thats all. Sorry for the miscommunication.

FattyMcFatFat wrote:I had sympathy for you until the seventh paragraph. Call me an asshole if you want, but you put the information out here and now you're getting feedback. The following is the type of thing that people need to be forced to recognize, however painful, especially when they bring an issue up on their own. The consequence of allowing people to pretend the following is just "insensitive" or otherwise immaterial is to incentivize the very sort of conduct in which you engaged.

atmabz wrote:This debt will not go away unless the president forgives all loans which I am not counting on.

... ignoring the fact that the President probably does not have the authority to do this, have had on your decision? I may just be dumb :roll: , but knowing that there was a reasonable possibility that I would be able to impose the cost of my foolish decision on other people would only encourage me to make that foolish decision. (You understand that taxpayers would be paying for your actions, right? As an aside, the fact that they had no direct influence over your decision (assuming the President could unilaterally make this decision) sounds an awful lot like taxation without representation, at least in a moral, if not legal sense, doesn't it?)

Other than that nonsense (not sure why you seemed to think it supported, rather than refuted, the apparent point of the rest of your post), I understand where you are coming from and I wish you the best. It is truly a sad situation, but that does not entitle you to play Millennial and pretend you are some sort of victim who should be free to force the consequences of a decision that you made of your own free will onto someone else. I still hope things turn out OK for you, but if I have to pay dime for your decision, my tune will change irrespective of the manner in which loan "forgiveness" might hypothetically be attained. / rant.

atmabz

Postby atmabz » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:26 am

Buck.Shot wrote:

If you started in September of 2011 then, at the latest, you would be about half way through your third semester by now. How on earth did you incur over $100,000 in student loans in such a short time?

$40,000 in tuition
$21,000 cost of living (which is also where i went wrong but no finacial help and not being able to find cheap living is why i went high)

Then undergrad/interest charges.

Grand total is like $103,000

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:28 am

atmabz wrote:Your not an asshole and i agree with everything you said. I actually do not believe anyone should have to pay back anyone elses loans. You read too far into that line. I should have said something like "this debt wont go away unless (insert something else). I have been reading alot of student loan (political blogs) which is probably why i typed that. I am not a victim and i dont expect anyone except myself to be responsible for my debt. I apologize for getting you angry!! Not my intentions at all and i should have elaborated. I was just trying to make a point of how the debt is permanent. Thats all. Sorry for the miscommunication.

FattyMcFatFat wrote:I had sympathy for you until the seventh paragraph. Call me an asshole if you want, but you put the information out here and now you're getting feedback. The following is the type of thing that people need to be forced to recognize, however painful, especially when they bring an issue up on their own. The consequence of allowing people to pretend the following is just "insensitive" or otherwise immaterial is to incentivize the very sort of conduct in which you engaged.

Fatty overreacted. I understood your comment to mean the same thing as saying "these loans won't disappear unless I win the lottery" or "unless I strike oil in my back yard." That is, you know the loans aren't disappearing.

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:28 am

Buck.Shot wrote:

Not OP, but at sticker, borrowing for full COA, totally possible if you include the third semester.

atmabz

Postby atmabz » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:29 am

Thank you!

jump_man wrote:
atmabz wrote:

It's too bad you can't get hired as a career counselor to teach people how terrible TTTTs really are . . .

Best of luck with the job search! I'll keep your career in my prayers 8)

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:34 am

Best of luck OP. Thanks for posting your story

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:34 am

Heavy RC fail.

FattyMcFatFat

Postby FattyMcFatFat » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:37 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
atmabz wrote:Your not an asshole and i agree with everything you said. I actually do not believe anyone should have to pay back anyone elses loans. You read too far into that line. I should have said something like "this debt wont go away unless (insert something else). I have been reading alot of student loan (political blogs) which is probably why i typed that. I am not a victim and i dont expect anyone except myself to be responsible for my debt. I apologize for getting you angry!! Not my intentions at all and i should have elaborated. I was just trying to make a point of how the debt is permanent. Thats all. Sorry for the miscommunication.

Fatty overreacted. I understood your comment to mean the same thing as saying "these loans won't disappear unless I win the lottery" or "unless I strike oil in my back yard." That is, you know the loans aren't disappearing.

That seems like a plausible interpretation. I had an oddly political day today. It sounds like I'm still in that political frame of mind. I apologize for misunderstanding. I sincerely hope that things work out for you and that your post will benefit at least one person.

SemperLegal

Postby SemperLegal » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:02 am

atmabz wrote:

Obviously cannot speak from first hand experince, but could you put LS on your resume and just say that you went, thinking that a fancy law degree and a fancy lawyer job would make you happy, but you soon realized your REAL passion is (whatever you are applying to now). Hopefully the public's lack of knowledge about LS rankings and the legal job market will work in your advantage.

atmabz

Postby atmabz » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:51 pm

SemperLegal wrote:
atmabz wrote:

Obviously cannot speak from first hand experince, but could you put LS on your resume and just say that you went, thinking that a fancy law degree and a fancy lawyer job would make you happy, but you soon realized your REAL passion is (whatever you are applying to now). Hopefully the public's lack of knowledge about LS rankings and the legal job market will work in your advantage.

I was thinking about that but I feel like people will see me as a person who gives up too easily. I know its probably my own insecurity but I will try it and see what happens. Thanks for the advice.

atmabz

Postby atmabz » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:57 pm

Br3v wrote:Never give up man. What was your first real passion before you pursued law school? Pursue that, you never know this could have been a (expensive) blessing in disguise. My point though, is that you seem like you got a great head on your shoulders, so dont let one bump keep you down.

That is what i keep telling myself...that everything happens for a reason...I have an undergrad degree in Corp. Communications since I love media/public relations. Where I currently live there are 0 jobs that require that degree. My hope is to move back to where I came from once my lease is up since where my hometown is there are tons of jobs that require my specific degree.

I am also considering to start over and gain an actual skill. I figured out that if I were to get a second degree and then a master's I would be in the same amount of debt as if I actually stayed in law school. I am just so afraid to get into more debt.

atmabz

Postby atmabz » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:59 pm

Lincoln wrote:
Buck.Shot wrote:

Not OP, but at sticker, borrowing for full COA, totally possible if you include the third semester.

Only two semesters. I should have stated I started in fall 2011 and dismissed after the spring of 2012.

Very expensive school to say the least.

atmabz

Postby atmabz » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:00 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:Best of luck OP. Thanks for posting your story

Thank you!

S-La

Postby S-La » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:31 pm

This is a sad story indeed OP... I currently have student loans as well (not nearly as much as you) and once you have to start paying the loan back, you can usually choose an income-contingent plan, which basically means you pay a certain amount each month based on your income. Once you're able to find a steady job, I would definitely look into this option.

The good news is that if you make your payments regularly, it won't mess up your credit score, even if you're paying the loan back VERY slowly.

Obviously what I'm about to suggest next is a bit extreme but if you're really desperate, you can always join the military. They have all kinds of student loan repayment programs for people just like you who are overwhelmed by debt. Check it out: http://www.military.com/Resources/Resou ... --,00.html

I really wish you all the best. Thank you for sharing your story with TLS.

Robespierre

Postby Robespierre » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:55 am

Tough break. Good luck OP.

Go on IBR, make the minimum payments, get the loan forgiven eventually, and hope that we have inflation so that when you get hit with the tax bomb it's in cheap dollars?

BlueJeanBaby

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:13 pm

S-La wrote:This is a sad story indeed OP... I currently have student loans as well (not nearly as much as you) and once you have to start paying the loan back, you can usually choose an income-contingent plan, which basically means you pay a certain amount each month based on your income. Once you're able to find a steady job, I would definitely look into this option.

The good news is that if you make your payments regularly, it won't mess up your credit score, even if you're paying the loan back VERY slowly.

Obviously what I'm about to suggest next is a bit extreme but if you're really desperate, you can always join the military. They have all kinds of student loan repayment programs for people just like you who are overwhelmed by debt. Check it out: http://www.military.com/Resources/Resou ... --,00.html

Glad you mentioned this. My husband took this route-- they not only paid off the full amount of his student loans, but they are also funding his Master's degree in Engineering. It is a great option for someone who needs to get out of debt, wants to further their education, and could endure the military lifestyle.

Hope everything works out, OP!!

FattyMcFatFat

Postby FattyMcFatFat » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:06 pm

BlueJeanBaby wrote:
S-La wrote:This is a sad story indeed OP... I currently have student loans as well (not nearly as much as you) and once you have to start paying the loan back, you can usually choose an income-contingent plan, which basically means you pay a certain amount each month based on your income. Once you're able to find a steady job, I would definitely look into this option.

Glad you mentioned this. My husband took this route-- they not only paid off the full amount of his student loans, but they are also funding his Master's degree in Engineering. It is a great option for someone who needs to get out of debt, wants to further their education, and could endure the military lifestyle.

Hope everything works out, OP!!

RE: My PM. See what I'm saying?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”