Conservative law schools?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
OnTheRise

Conservative law schools?

Postby OnTheRise » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:26 pm

I was wondering if anybody could tell me some schools that are thought to be more conservative politically than most. The school where i went to undergrad was overwhelmingly liberal and it drove me absolutely insane so I would like to attend a school where the other students and faculty will tend to be like minded.

cinephile

Re: Conservative law schools?

Postby cinephile » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:28 pm

While picking an undergraduate university based on this criteria is fine, it's not a good strategy for law schools.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:31 pm

St. Thomas and Liberty

Samara

Postby Samara » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:32 pm

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:34 pm

Regent....lollerskates

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:33 pm

OnTheRise wrote:I was wondering if anybody could tell me some schools that are thought to be more conservative politically than most. The school where i went to undergrad was overwhelmingly liberal and it drove me absolutely insane so I would like to attend a school where the other students and faculty will tend to be like minded.

It's the reality of being a white-collar professional in this day and age. Even "conservative" lawyers are generally on the more liberal side. Unless you plan on working for a think tank or special interest group, get used to it.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:45 pm

I go to one of the more conservative law schools. The city voted like 78% for Obama. You can never escape libs.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:02 pm

There are like 5 schools that can be called "conservative" and they all have shitty job prospects.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:50 pm

George Mason.

That's it, ALL others are liberal.

Oh, maybe Alabama.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:48 pm

BYU

Ave Maria

SuperCerealBrah

Postby SuperCerealBrah » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:53 pm

JCFindley wrote:George Mason.

Oh, maybe Alabama.

Yea, I am surprised others haven't mentioned Bama yet.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:55 pm

http://thebelieversguidetolegalissues.b ... chool.html

Seriously though, just go to some Federalist Society meetings and meet some likeminded folks. You'll be fine.

Samara

Postby Samara » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:26 am

JCFindley wrote:George Mason.

Oh, maybe Alabama.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:54 am

Oh shit, you might be surrounded by people with opinions different than your own. Best to completely avoid that for the rest of your life. Just set the dial to FOX News and break it off to avoid any liberal exposure.

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:33 am

From experience, people are not giving UT enough credit for its conservatism. Sure Austin is full of hipsters, but not the law school (Sweatt v. Painter anyone?). Plus we still think it's a good idea to employ Lino Graglia . . .

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:36 am

Sorry, its location in the People's Republic of Austin is an immediate disqualification.

Besides, the ideology of prospective law schools should be around the 300th or so thing in the priority list. It doesn't matter a damn bit.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:28 am

kalvano wrote:Sorry, its location in the People's Republic of Austin is an immediate disqualification.

Besides, the ideology of prospective law schools should be around the 300th or so thing in the priority list. It doesn't matter a damn bit.

This.

I was considered a screaming liberal in the military yet I seem to be thought of a a raging conservative in LS. Who cares?

(BTW, I am a hard core moderate if you care.)

Chickensoup

Postby Chickensoup » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:51 pm

kalvano wrote:Oh shit, you might be surrounded by people with opinions different than your own. Best to completely avoid that for the rest of your life. Just set the dial to FOX News and break it off to avoid any liberal exposure.

What the hell kind of TV still has a dial? I feel weird even typing that word. Dial.

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:00 pm

Cade McNown wrote:From experience, people are not giving UT enough credit for its conservatism. Sure Austin is full of hipsters, but not the law school (Sweatt v. Painter anyone?). Plus we still think it's a good idea to employ Lino Graglia . . .

Sweatt occurred in 1950. 1950s Conservatives =/= 2012 Conservatives.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:08 pm

Washington & Lee. Pepperdine. Notre Dame. BYU. Mississippi. Most Deep South law schools offer a welcoming atmosphere for the politically conservative student.

Wake Forest leans conservative when compared to most other Tier One law schools, in my opinion, as "conservatism" is hard to categorize without more context.

Curious as to which undergraduate school you attended ? Oberlin or Swarthmore ? This is relevant because liberal & conservative are relative terms. If you're coming from Oberlin, Swarthmore, Wesleyan, Berkeley, Wisconsin-Madison, New College, Bard, Reed or Macalester, then just about any law school will be much more conservative in comparison.

basilseal

Postby basilseal » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:25 pm

Really wouldn't worry about it. People don't have the time to spend days on end bothering you with political opinions. Join FedSoc, study hard.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:39 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Washington & Lee. Pepperdine. Notre Dame. BYU. Mississippi. Most Deep South law schools offer a welcoming atmosphere for the politically conservative student.

Wake Forest leans conservative when compared to most other Tier One law schools, in my opinion, as "conservatism" is hard to categorize without more context.

Curious as to which undergraduate school you attended ? Oberlin or Swarthmore ? This is relevant because liberal & conservative are relative terms. If you're coming from Oberlin, Swarthmore, Wesleyan, Berkeley, Wisconsin-Madison, New College, Bard, Reed or Macalester, then just about any law school will be much more conservative in comparison.

Wisconsin has a liberal contingent, and even Berkeley isn't politically homogeneous, unlike those absolutely TINY LACs.

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:44 pm

basilseal wrote:Really wouldn't worry about it. People don't have the time to spend days on end bothering you with political opinions. Join FedSoc, study hard.

You'll find enough FedSoc people to get your conservative giddies anywhere you go. Professors and fellow students tend to be liberal across the board. Among top schools, I've heard Chicago and UVA have some of the most "accepting" environments towards conservative students in that they feel slightly more comfortable being vocal in classes, but this still should be at most a tie breaking consideration when choosing. You're in law school to get a job, not to debate whether or not substantive due process is a real thing. Until you get onto the supreme court along with 3 of your best buddies and join up with Thomas, it is, and that's how you'll practice as a lawyer.

eaper

Postby eaper » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:37 am

Cade McNown wrote:From experience, people are not giving UT enough credit for its conservatism. Sure Austin is full of hipsters, but not the law school (Sweatt v. Painter anyone?). Plus we still think it's a good idea to employ Lino Graglia . . .

IDK, in my section at UT there are probably 3 libs to every conservative.

mjharri4

Postby mjharri4 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:52 am

Pepperdine by far. Went there for undergrad. VERY Conservative

Return to “Choosing a Law School”