WHERE SHOULD I APPLY

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
harveyspectorlover

WHERE SHOULD I APPLY

Postby harveyspectorlover » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:44 am

I really need some valuable advice right now. I'm at a point in my life where my decision now affects my future. I really am set on going to law school, but with a gpa of 3.2 and LSAT of 155 (third try(146,153,155). I know some of the responses I'm going to get are going to be really dry and de-motivating but please I need some serious advice. I messed up on GPA and I am just weighing in my options right now. What law schools should I apply to, which totally aren't doomed with their reputation and I have a chance at employment after I graduate. Please Help

Richie Tenenbaum

Re: WHERE SHOULD I APPLY

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:48 am

My advice:
1) Make a request to LSAC to take the LSAT for a fourth time.
OR
2) Decide on something besides law school
OR
3) Apply to law schools where you would be competitive for substantial scholarship money that does not have any grade/class rank stipulations on them. Also be aware that you may be wasting 3 years of your life if you don't end up with a legal job and even if you get a legal job it will probably be somewhere in the range of 40-60K (thus, the importance of limiting debt).

annet

Postby annet » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:49 am

Where do you live and what are your overall life goals? NYC or bust? Would you stay in the region you are now/where you grew up? Are you K-JD or will you have work experience before applying?

gaud

Postby gaud » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:50 am

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:My advice:
OR
OR
3) Apply to law schools where you would be competitive for substantial scholarship money that does not have any grade/class rank stipulations on them. Also be aware that you may be wasting 3 years of your life if you don't end up with a legal job and even if you get a legal job it will probably be somewhere in the range of 40-60K (thus, the importance of limiting debt).

This is good advice.

harveyspectorlover

Postby harveyspectorlover » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:54 am

I'm actually from Canada, and really want to be a lawyer, hence considering the states. But with my stats I'm thinking I should just give up on law and change my career path. Although, I know my capabilities, but the cards are just not in my favour! I can give the LSAT a forth time this june as my 2 year month period is ending, but will that help?

harveyspectorlover

Postby harveyspectorlover » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:55 am

gaud wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:My advice:
OR
OR

This is good advice.

3) and what law schools would these be?

gaud

Postby gaud » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:58 am

harveyspectorlover wrote:I'm actually from Canada, and really want to be a lawyer, hence considering the states. But with my stats I'm thinking I should just give up on law and change my career path. Although, I know my capabilities, but the cards are just not in my favour! I can give the LSAT a forth time this june as my 2 year month period is ending, but will that help?

Taking the LSAT again will help if you can improve your score. If you pursue this option, check out the LSAT Prep thread. There are lists/reviews on major prep companies, study plans, and a ton of peeps that can help.

harveyspectorlover

Postby harveyspectorlover » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:01 am

gaud wrote:
harveyspectorlover wrote:I'm actually from Canada, and really want to be a lawyer, hence considering the states. But with my stats I'm thinking I should just give up on law and change my career path. Although, I know my capabilities, but the cards are just not in my favour! I can give the LSAT a forth time this june as my 2 year month period is ending, but will that help?

Taking the LSAT again will help if you can improve your score. If you pursue this option, check out the LSAT Prep thread. There are lists/reviews on major prep companies, study plans, and a ton of peeps that can help.

Thank-you! Will definitely look into that.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:25 am

Ask for 4th lsat take, use some study guides posted in this site and you will improve.

Lear22

Postby Lear22 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:21 pm

Br3v wrote:Ask for 4th lsat take, use some study guides posted in this site and you will improve.

The real question here IMHO is if he'll be approved for a fourth LSAT. I am currently under review. Was going to get a result fri but it got pushed back to Monday. I remain hopeful but I really don't know if I should be. The lady who helped me with my request said they got about 30 request for dec which is - according to her - more than they usually get. The change in policy is so recent that I could not find any information about people who applied for a 3rd retake (i.e 4th LSAT) and were approved or denied and what was their story. Again, I'm hopefull but also ready for a big no on Monday.

llachans

Postby llachans » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:29 pm

Hey! If you're okay with living in the midwest, I would suggest applying to Marquette and Drake. (I am myself a 1L at Drake.) If you check out Both schools are in markets that only have one other school (Wisconsin and Iowa) and thus have fairly good employment prospects. (If you haven't, check out the Law School Transparency site.) Michigan State could also be a good option, although their employment stats are a little worse. Outside of the midwest, I'm not familiar with any TTT law schools. It's very true that you do have to be careful in attending a TTT, but if you focus on a market that isn't competitive, I believe it's still possible to do well.

The drawback to each of the schools I listed is that they are regional. I don't know much about the legal market, but I'm not sure it would be very easy to get back to Canada. I chose to attend Drake because I did my undergrad in Iowa and knew that I liked the area. If you can't see yourself living in the midwest, it would be very unwise to attend any of the above that I listed.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”