Legal Field & Social Entrepreneurship

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
DougieFresh

Legal Field & Social Entrepreneurship

Postby DougieFresh » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:32 pm

First time post, long time reader...

I have always been interested in quote unquote social justice but with my experience as a current Peace Corps Volunteer am a little bit underwhelmed with some non profits, aid organizations, volunteer groups, etc, and the impact they have. However the social enterprise and impact investment movement gets me excited, blending profit or ROI with social impact, and so I ask:

If I am interested in working as legal counsel for startups and entrepreneurial law what law schools should I be most interested in? If interested in getting involved in working with investment funds and financial law what law schools should I be interested in?

Any input is much appreciated.

annet

Re: Legal Field & Social Entrepreneurship

Postby annet » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:16 pm

A friend of a friend does this, post-Big Law. He went to Yale.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:37 pm

For what you want you'll likely be best off if you go to a law school that places well in large law firms (http://www.lawschooltransparency.com has a good breakdown of this but roughly you should aim for the top 14 law schools and ideally the best law school within those 14 that you can since they place much better than other schools for large law firms). Ideally you'd work at firm that has a large emerging company practice so you can make connections with startups and possibly transition to legal counsel for one of them once they grow large enough to actually need an in-house counsel.

I suggest reading the posts of this user: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=61336 since he seemed to have gone down a similar path to what you want (though he seems to be focused more on the business side of startups than the legal side).

DougieFresh

Postby DougieFresh » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:56 pm

Thanks for the advice, and the link to PwnLaw posts was great.

Another question would be that while in law school, what clinics and courses would I want to focus on to make myself marketable: Intellectual Property? Transactions? Corporate?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:09 pm

DougieFresh wrote:Another question would be that while in law school, what clinics and courses would I want to focus on to make myself marketable: Intellectual Property? Transactions? Corporate?

The types of classes you take in law school will not affect your marketability for 2 reasons. The first being that they don't care and the second being that you interview for jobs at large firms at the beginning of your 2nd year of law school and at most schools your 1st year curriculum is entirely (or mostly) out of your control.

If you want to take classes in this area because they interest you then go ahead, but don't think that they will affect your ability to get a job. Relevant classes at my school are Corps/BusinessAssocations, Entrepreneurship Law, Entrepreneurship Clinic, IP, M&A, etc.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:32 pm

What would be infinitely better than coursework is to do a succession of internships during school with organizations that do the kind of work you want to do. That way a few years down the line when you are looking to leave biglaw you'll have a network of people who know you are serious about that kind of work. If you go to a good school and get a good job you have a lot of freedom to play around for 2L and 3L year since the curves and class attendance policies tend to be "generous."

I would also take classes with any adjuncts (read: practitioners) who do that kind of work. But don't choose a school based on that. Choose a school based on overall job prospects.

DougieFresh

Postby DougieFresh » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:30 pm

Your responses have been great.

Another question that comes up: how do I tie all of this into a cohesive narrative in my personal statement? After 3 years in public service if I suddenly start talking about firm work does that sound inconsistant?

One thing I have learned in talking with attorneys who are doing work that I want to be doing is that its been a long, complicated road before they got where they are.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”