HELP! WHat are the BEST Environmental Law Schools?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
TexasFrog2013

HELP! WHat are the BEST Environmental Law Schools?

Postby TexasFrog2013 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:39 pm

I am an Undergrad in texas, with a below-average GPA, but will mast likely be around a 3.0-3.2 by graduation...
I have extensive experience in the field work of environmental stewardship/conservation etc. and will have stellar rec letters; but are there sources that are better than others??
What Im asking is if yall have any faith in my ability to get in a good law school. I have yetr to take the LSAT, and would like to know what score is realistic for me to be granted acceptance. Obviously the higher the better but....

Thank you for your time

Ludo!

Re: HELP! WHat are the BEST Environmental Law Schools?

Postby Ludo! » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:41 pm

Yale.

Aim for a 180

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:57 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:Yale.

Aim for a 180

Pretty much this. Even if there were a particular law school with a better 'environmental law program' than another, chances are you'll want a shot at biglaw by the time you graduate anyway. Plus, with that GPA, you're going to need all the help you can get.

Take Two

Postby Take Two » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:20 pm

Yale is the right answer. basically you want to go the best school that you can, there are people interested in environmental law everywhere and resources to pursue it no matter where you go.

of course I realize that is not really the advice you are looking for. A couple that jump out at me. Vermont Law School has some good offerings I understand, Pace University School of Law also has invested in an environmental focus, and Cal Berkeley is also a great place for environmental law. But look, as mentioned above all of these places are ludicrous expensive and there is very very little money in environmental protection. If you are absolutely sure that you want to make that your life to the exclusion of material comfort those are options to consider.

but really get a 180, go to Yale, its the best choice.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:42 pm

Take Two wrote:Yale is the right answer. basically you want to go the best school that you can, there are people interested in environmental law everywhere and resources to pursue it no matter where you go.

of course I realize that is not really the advice you are looking for. A couple that jump out at me. Vermont Law School has some good offerings I understand, Pace University School of Law also has invested in an environmental focus, and Cal Berkeley is also a great place for environmental law. But look, as mentioned above all of these places are ludicrous expensive and there is very very little money in environmental protection. If you are absolutely sure that you want to make that your life to the exclusion of material comfort those are options to consider.

but really get a 180, go to Yale, its the best choice.

For real: Don't enable, broski.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:44 pm

came to say yale, followed by harvard/stanford, followed by CCN........

Gunna4Life

Postby Gunna4Life » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:58 pm

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... w-rankings

Vermont or bust. Very competitive to be accepted into their enviro program though. GL

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:30 pm

Gunna4Life wrote:http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/environmental-law-rankings

Vermont or bust. Very competitive to be accepted into their enviro program though. GL

Unless you are an environmental law professor, specialty rankings are worthless. HTH.

Gunna4Life

Postby Gunna4Life » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:33 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
Gunna4Life wrote:http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/environmental-law-rankings

Unless you are an environmental law professor, specialty rankings are worthless. HTH.

Like what timbs said, if you want to be an enviro law professor aim for VT

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:04 pm

Gunna4Life wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:

OP THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT HENCE THE CAPS

Specialty rankings literally, DO NOT MATTER.

Go to the best school you can taking $ into consideration (t-14 or top regional school) and this will give you best shot at having a job after graduation, including "enviro" jobs.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:06 pm

Gunna4Life wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:

Read very closely next time. Unless you ARE an environmental law professor.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:46 pm

lolololno

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:50 pm

Specialty rankings don't mean anything if you want to be employed after graduation. Focus on getting the best LSAT you can and get into the best school.

I had a 2.8 GPA and got accepted into a few T14s; PM me if you need any LSAT studying advice (:

Honestly, the best environmental law school will be the best school you get into. Shoot for a T14 unless there is a strong regional school in your area (ie if you live in a secondary market like MN or IN).

beachy

Postby beachy » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:33 am

I had a 160/3.4 and was offered somewhere in the 30k/year range at vermont...i dont remember exactly but it left about 12k in tuition

BarrySanders

Postby BarrySanders » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:31 am

The above posters are all correct, but I want to add that getting environmental law jobs is very hard no matter where you go because there are not that many around. Not only will you have to do well at a top school, but you will need connections / experience / relevant undergrad or graduate degrees to set yourself apart from everyone else. Environmental departments at most law firms are not that big and the most of the jobs in non-profits / government are taken by laterals.

I know that you say you have experience, but I want you to be aware of how tough the market is for environmental jobs. Good luck with your applications.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:54 am

Go to school around where there are environmental jobs if you can't get into/can't afford Yale.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”