Convince local T1 I'm not a flight risk?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cslouisck

Convince local T1 I'm not a flight risk?

Postby cslouisck » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:45 pm

Here's the deal:
3.8/PBK
3 years out of undergrad with meaningful work experience
Denver resident

Any thoughts on the best way to convince the adcomms at CU that I'm truly interested in attending (and deserving of $$$), not just applying as a safety? My fiancee's open to moving for Berkeley or maybe NU/University of Chicago, but we'd both prefer to stay put if CU can make the financial end of things worthwhile. Anyone out there know the best way to convey that sentiment?

Thanks.

CanadianWolf

Re: Convince local T1 I'm not a flight risk?

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:52 pm

As a Colorado resident, I doubt that you'll be viewed as a flight risk. Nevertheless, it doesn't matter because they only need your pre-1L numbers for USNews rankings as very few transfer out of CU-Boulder after the first year (probably because attending CU is more of a lifestyle choice than it is as a career launching choice). If you are viewed as a flight risk, you'll get waitlisted or denied scholarship money.

Where, geographically speaking, did you work during the last three years ?

P.S. You may, nonetheless, be asked to show proof of prior years' season ski-lift tickets to Vail, Steamboat Springs, Aspen or the like. :D A Killington pass may kill your chances, however.

P.P.S. A former admissions officer at CU-law started a thread yesterday (Sunday) on TLS. Look under Spivey or Mike Spivey or Spivey Consulting.

cslouisck

Postby cslouisck » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:03 pm

Great. Thanks much. I've been doing PR in Denver for the last couple years (and was a ski bum in Summit County, without any regret, prior to that), so I'd say I'm fairly attached to Colorado and all that it offers. Not really gunning for BigLaw, just a more interesting, challenging and satisfying career path,

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:06 pm

I'll bet that you get admitted with their largest scholarship award. Good luck !

P.S. If your last three years were spent in NYC, Chicago or San Francisco, then my guess would be different.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:37 pm

Make it clear that CU is your number 1 choice and that you would be honored to attend. I bet you get a full-ride.

gaud

Postby gaud » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:38 pm

Write a "Why CU" or go visit if you can

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:57 pm

And, when you visit, ski in while wearing a Broncos jacket.

cslouisck

Postby cslouisck » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:53 pm

Thanks for the advice, all. Much appreciated. Hope to see some of you at CU next fall.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:11 pm

I predict you will get a full ride or more. If I were you I would highlight that you want to practice in CO for sure, and you love UC-B, but are unsure where you will attend (this will leave you leverage in negotiating with them). With your numbers they should give you a named merit scholarship at least. If you have to pay a dime to attend (outside of cost of living) it would be crazy to do this, but if you want to practice in Colorado and get the full ride, I say more power to you.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:20 pm

Do not write that you love "UC-B". If you love UCal-Berkeley then tell them, not CU-Boulder. :D

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:16 pm

Better demand a stipend if you go there.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:19 pm

I doubt that "demanding" anything is a wise approach. Either last cycle or the prior cycle had a female ski addict who had been admitted to Columbia seemingly on the basis of her numbers, begging to get off of Colorado's waitlist. Not sure, but my best recollection is that she was never admitted to CU.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:04 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:I doubt that "demanding" anything is a wise approach. Either last cycle or the prior cycle had a female ski addict who had been admitted to Columbia seemingly on the basis of her numbers, begging to get off of Colorado's waitlist. Not sure, but my best recollection is that she was never admitted to CU.

That was last cycle and she didn't get accepted. My cycle (the prior cycle) had a URM with a 170+ who didn't receive any scholarship money (also a ski bum, go figure). He was writing CU admissions letters demanding money and they basically said "I'm not sure this is the right fit for you, thank you and best of luck."

Don't demand anything. Be humble and tell them you'd be honored to attend.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”