Penn vs. UVA for ED Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
hammerheadsnark

New

Penn vs. UVA for ED

Post by hammerheadsnark » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:55 pm

Penn and UVA are my top two choices but I'm having a hard time choosing between the two. I'm interested in doing public interest or government work and I'm not sure whether either school would be better for PI. I'm also gay and it seems that Penn has a much more active LGBT scene but I feel like UVA could be fine too. Does anyone have any feedback? I really appreciate it.
Last edited by hammerheadsnark on Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dextermorgan

Silver

Re: Penn vs. UVA for ED

Post by dextermorgan » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:00 pm

hammerheadsnark wrote:Penn and UVA are my top two choices but I'm having a hard time choosing between the two. I'm interested in doing public interest or government work and I'm not sure whether either one would be better. I'm also gay and it seems that Penn has a much more active LGBT scene but I feel like UVA could be fine too. Does anyone have any feedback? I really appreciate it.
Where do you want to work and what are your numbers?

hammerheadsnark

New

Post by hammerheadsnark » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:03 pm

I have a 170/3.68 and I'd like to work in DC.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:31 pm

Penn is the obvious choice here if you want to ED. This being said, it looks like you have a decent shot at NYU:
http://myLSN.info/elbpwu

You sure you want to throw away a 50% chance at NYU for Penn at sticker price?

In addition, if you do ED you're looking at a paying sticker price. Make sure you know what you're getting into and what Penn's LRAP looks like before you pull the trigger. You don't want to be staring at $250k in loans and a public interest job without knowing your outs.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:36 pm

ED Penn if you're going to ED to one of those. You have an outside shot at NYU, but Penn's placement is pretty similar and you're close to a lock there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:17 am

Doorkeeper wrote:Penn is the obvious choice here if you want to ED. This being said, it looks like you have a decent shot at NYU:

In addition, if you do ED you're looking at a paying sticker price. Make sure you know what you're getting into and what Penn's LRAP looks like before you pull the trigger. You don't want to be staring at $250k in loans and a public interest job without knowing your outs.
Why us penn obvious over UVA? NYC placement or likelihood of admittance.

SportsFan

Silver

Post by SportsFan » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:33 am

Br3v wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:Penn is the obvious choice here if you want to ED. This being said, it looks like you have a decent shot at NYU:

Why us penn obvious over UVA? NYC placement or likelihood of admittance.
OP is basically a lock at either with ED, so my guess is arguably better job placement.

senorhosh

Bronze

Post by senorhosh » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:06 am

Why is Penn obvious choice?

1. UVA has better LRAP- important for OP's position
2. UVA places much more into government/PI
3. UVA is better option for DC (I'm guessing due to location)

There is nothing that says Penn is better for OP except if he wants biglaw, which he doesn't

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:13 am

senorhosh wrote:

Why is Penn obvious choice?

1. UVA has better LRAP- important for OP's position
2. UVA places much more into government/PI
3. UVA is better option for DC (I'm guessing due to location)

There is nothing that says Penn is better for OP except if he wants biglaw, which he doesn't
How is UVA's LRAP better? A quick browse makes it look like Penn has a higher ceiling and both require legal jobs so why do you think Penn's is worse?

Don't the like 15% of grads that UVA hires to temporary positions count in their PI statistics, are you sure that in terms of real desirable PI/Govt jobs UVA places better?

DC thing very well could be self selection due to location.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hammerheadsnark

New

Post by hammerheadsnark » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:48 am

Interesting, I had thought NYU would be out of reach but I might have to rethink that. What do you think my chances would be at Penn or UVA for RD? I'm about 70% sure that I could get into UVA (I'm in-state) but Penn seems much more iffy.

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:17 am

hammerheadsnark wrote:I have a 170/3.68 and I'd like to work in DC.
UVA.

Fucking christ dude, you're in-state for UVA, and you want to work in DC. Why would you even consider Penn?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:51 am

In state changes everything. You shouldn't ED anywhere.

PickledPanda

Bronze

Post by PickledPanda » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:57 am

dextermorgan wrote:
hammerheadsnark wrote:I have a 170/3.68 and I'd like to work in DC.
UVA.

Fucking christ dude, you're in-state for UVA, and you want to work in DC. Why would you even consider Penn?
I don't know if you're implying that in-state should be a major factor in his decision. It means he should not ED there, because he is already close a lock. Other than that, the tuition decrease of 5k/year is negligible. I don't think it makes UVA the obvious choice, despite the possible better self selected placement rates in D.C.

I would regular decision to UVA and visit both schools. If you love Penn and are okay with UVA then ED to Penn. If you love UVA and Penn I would regular decision them both and lean toward UVA.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”