Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska or Oklahoma

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
crawleytown

Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska or Oklahoma

Postby crawleytown » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:58 pm

I'm from Oklahoma. I applied to KU and OU in 2012, got in to both with decent scholarships, had a 162/3. I'm gonna retake in June 2013. I want to end up in one of these four states. Which state do you guys think has the biggest legal market/most decent paying jobs. I understand WUSTL is probably the best school for these states, but out of OU, KU, UNL, and Mizzou, which school do you think would be best. I'm expecting to get decent scholarships from all + help from parents, so money is not that big of an issue.

patrickd139

Re: Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska or Oklahoma

Postby patrickd139 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:07 pm

If you're from Oklahoma, and especially if you're a sooner undergrad, then going to OU is likely your best bet if you want to go back to OKC or Tulsa. OU Law carries stupid weight in those legal markets. Like, they'll hire from OU over objectively better candidates from GULC, UVA, ND, etc.

Re Missouri or Kansas: I went to OU Law, and went 0-4 with CBs in KCMO biglaw. Ties were tenuous to the city begin with, which likely was the main reason for getting shut out. All of this is to say, don't bank on being able to make it to KC just because you went to OU. I would expect similar results with STL, but have no evidence to back this up. The rest of Kansas is an abject shithole, especially Topeka.

I know nothing about Nebraska, other than that their football team seems to have a special aversion to the Longhorns.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:13 pm

If you look at bios on some of the Omaha firms' websites you will notice a decent amount of KU Law grads.

crawleytown

Postby crawleytown » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:16 pm

One thing I forgot to mention is that I kind of want to get out of Oklahoma for a while. I've lived here my whole life and don't mind coming back and working here, but I'd like to spend some time outside.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:26 pm

crawleytown wrote:One thing I forgot to mention is that I kind of want to get out of Oklahoma for a while. I've lived here my whole life and don't mind coming back and working here, but I'd like to spend some time outside.

Serious suggestion: don't go to law school. Instead go work somewhere 'out of Oklahoma for a while.' When considering hiring first year associates, firms outside major markets (read: NY, LA, DC) place a premium on associate development, and are not going to be interested in someone who's a) not 'from there' and b) not interested in working there for more than 'a while.'

Added bonus: you put more space between you and your sub-median UGPA.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:27 pm

Tom Joad wrote:If you look at bios on some of the Omaha firms' websites you will notice a decent amount of KU Law grads.

Yeah, but don't you still have to work/live in Omaha?

crawleytown

Postby crawleytown » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:57 pm

I'm not saying I want to come back to OK immediately after school, I wouldn't mind living in one of these other states for 10-15 years.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:11 pm

crawleytown wrote:I'm not saying I want to come back to OK immediately after school, I wouldn't mind living in one of these other states for 10-15 years.

If you plan to be in civil private practice, you should realize that you'll likely be starting your legal career over at the point of your move. Very few books of business (which you'll be expected to possess at the 10-15 year point) will transfer from Missouri or Nebraska to Oklahoma.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:34 pm

go do your thing outside of oklahoma for a while, then come back and attend OU. Don't go to WUSTL if you want to work in Oklahoma. Go to OU.

westie25

Postby westie25 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:17 am

Return to “Choosing a Law School”