NU ED vs. shot at CCN?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What should I do?

Poll ended at Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:03 pm

NU ED
5
83%
Apply all RD to Columbia on down
1
17%
 
Total votes: 6

Fitz51
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:53 pm

NU ED vs. shot at CCN?

Postby Fitz51 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:03 pm

...
Last edited by Fitz51 on Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
moonman157
Posts: 1039
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:26 pm

Re: NU ED vs. shot at CCN?

Postby moonman157 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:18 pm

Fitz51 wrote:Trying to decide whether to bite the bullet an ED at NU for the potential scholarship or roll the dice and try for Chicago, Columbia, and NYU.

The breakdown:
172 LSAT
3.54 LSAC GPA
2 years of good WE in Chicago
Immigrant
From Chicago, NU alum
BigLaw goals
Don't mind moving or looking nationally for jobs

What do you guys think? Honestly, prestige and possible better career options is a factor when trying to decide about CCN. I know I'm a weak shot at those schools, but is the NU money worth a pass altogether? Do I even have a shot at the NU money?


If NU ED still comes with full scholly, do that. It's a better option than CCN at or around sticker IMO. Other than that, very slim chance at CC with a decent chance at NYU.

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: NU ED vs. shot at CCN?

Postby Rahviveh » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:35 pm

moonman157 wrote:
Fitz51 wrote:Trying to decide whether to bite the bullet an ED at NU for the potential scholarship or roll the dice and try for Chicago, Columbia, and NYU.

The breakdown:
172 LSAT
3.54 LSAC GPA
2 years of good WE in Chicago
Immigrant
From Chicago, NU alum
BigLaw goals
Don't mind moving or looking nationally for jobs

What do you guys think? Honestly, prestige and possible better career options is a factor when trying to decide about CCN. I know I'm a weak shot at those schools, but is the NU money worth a pass altogether? Do I even have a shot at the NU money?


If NU ED still comes with full scholly, do that. It's a better option than CCN at or around sticker IMO. Other than that, very slim chance at CC with a decent chance at NYU.


Doubtful he gets that full scholly. Seems like a waste of an ED.

User avatar
smaug_
Posts: 2195
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: NU ED vs. shot at CCN?

Postby smaug_ » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:50 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
moonman157 wrote:
Fitz51 wrote:Trying to decide whether to bite the bullet an ED at NU for the potential scholarship or roll the dice and try for Chicago, Columbia, and NYU.

The breakdown:
172 LSAT
3.54 LSAC GPA
2 years of good WE in Chicago
Immigrant
From Chicago, NU alum
BigLaw goals
Don't mind moving or looking nationally for jobs

What do you guys think? Honestly, prestige and possible better career options is a factor when trying to decide about CCN. I know I'm a weak shot at those schools, but is the NU money worth a pass altogether? Do I even have a shot at the NU money?


If NU ED still comes with full scholly, do that. It's a better option than CCN at or around sticker IMO. Other than that, very slim chance at CC with a decent chance at NYU.


Doubtful he gets that full scholly. Seems like a waste of an ED.


If he doesn't get the scholly he isn't bound. Applying NU ED is generally a good idea if you think you have a ghost of a chance.

User avatar
Cade McNown
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Re: NU ED vs. shot at CCN?

Postby Cade McNown » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:05 pm

If your goal is biglaw then Northwestern w/ $$$ is a no-brainer.

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: NU ED vs. shot at CCN?

Postby Rahviveh » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:09 pm

hibiki wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:
moonman157 wrote:
Fitz51 wrote:Trying to decide whether to bite the bullet an ED at NU for the potential scholarship or roll the dice and try for Chicago, Columbia, and NYU.

The breakdown:
172 LSAT
3.54 LSAC GPA
2 years of good WE in Chicago
Immigrant
From Chicago, NU alum
BigLaw goals
Don't mind moving or looking nationally for jobs

What do you guys think? Honestly, prestige and possible better career options is a factor when trying to decide about CCN. I know I'm a weak shot at those schools, but is the NU money worth a pass altogether? Do I even have a shot at the NU money?


If NU ED still comes with full scholly, do that. It's a better option than CCN at or around sticker IMO. Other than that, very slim chance at CC with a decent chance at NYU.


Doubtful he gets that full scholly. Seems like a waste of an ED.


If he doesn't get the scholly he isn't bound. Applying NU ED is generally a good idea if you think you have a ghost of a chance.


If your goal is biglaw then Northwestern w/ $$$ is a no-brainer.


I'm aware he isn't bound, but then he can't use the ED on CCN (particularly N, as he might get in ED). Seems like a waste of an ED to me because its REALLY unlikely he gets the scholly.

The only mitigating factor here is Penn's new 2nd round ED. If you are happy with Penn instead of CCN, you could save it as a backup and go for the NW ED first.

Also, I believe you need to schedule an interview in Chicago by Nov 15th if you want to ED. Good luck.

User avatar
smaug_
Posts: 2195
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: NU ED vs. shot at CCN?

Postby smaug_ » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:16 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:I'm aware he isn't bound, but then he can't use the ED on CCN (particularly N, as he might get in ED). Seems like a waste of an ED to me because its REALLY unlikely he gets the scholly.

The only mitigating factor here is Penn's new 2nd round ED. If you are happy with Penn instead of CCN, you could save it as a backup and go for the NW ED first.

Also, I believe you need to schedule an interview in Chicago by Nov 15th if you want to ED. Good luck.


I don't think he really has a great shot at the money here, but EDing to CCN is almost always a bad idea. Other than the NU ED and the UVA ED, applying ED is almost always a bad idea. So, it isn't really a bad idea.

User avatar
moonman157
Posts: 1039
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:26 pm

Re: NU ED vs. shot at CCN?

Postby moonman157 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:18 pm

hibiki wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:I'm aware he isn't bound, but then he can't use the ED on CCN (particularly N, as he might get in ED). Seems like a waste of an ED to me because its REALLY unlikely he gets the scholly.

The only mitigating factor here is Penn's new 2nd round ED. If you are happy with Penn instead of CCN, you could save it as a backup and go for the NW ED first.

Also, I believe you need to schedule an interview in Chicago by Nov 15th if you want to ED. Good luck.


I don't think he really has a great shot at the money here, but EDing to CCN is almost always a bad idea. Other than the NU ED and the UVA ED, applying ED is almost always a bad idea. So, it isn't really a bad idea.


Do you say this because if you can get into CCN with and ED then you can get lower T14 with $$?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: NU ED vs. shot at CCN?

Postby 09042014 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:21 pm

ED isn't some bonus you get to use. It's a got positives and negatives. The negative is that you don't get any scholarship money. The positive is that it can increase your chances. BUT, CCN doesn't really have a good ED boost. So it's really just a negative to ED to CCN. And he won't have to ED to Penn, because one of the T14 will definitely take him. And one, or more, will probably give significant scholarships. The only reason the NU ED makes sense is because it comes with a free ride. Otherwise, there really isn't any reason for the OP to ED anywhere. Doing so is likely harmful to him.

User avatar
smaug_
Posts: 2195
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: NU ED vs. shot at CCN?

Postby smaug_ » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:29 pm

Desert Fox wrote:ED isn't some bonus you get to use. It's a got positives and negatives. The negative is that you don't get any scholarship money. The positive is that it can increase your chances. BUT, CCN doesn't really have a good ED boost. So it's really just a negative to ED to CCN. And he won't have to ED to Penn, because one of the T14 will definitely take him. And one, or more, will probably give significant scholarships. The only reason the NU ED makes sense is because it comes with a free ride. Otherwise, there really isn't any reason for the OP to ED anywhere. Doing so is likely harmful to him.


Thank you for explaining what I was trying to say with more clarity.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: NU ED vs. shot at CCN?

Postby IAFG » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:33 pm

hibiki wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:ED isn't some bonus you get to use. It's a got positives and negatives. The negative is that you don't get any scholarship money. The positive is that it can increase your chances. BUT, CCN doesn't really have a good ED boost. So it's really just a negative to ED to CCN. And he won't have to ED to Penn, because one of the T14 will definitely take him. And one, or more, will probably give significant scholarships. The only reason the NU ED makes sense is because it comes with a free ride. Otherwise, there really isn't any reason for the OP to ED anywhere. Doing so is likely harmful to him.


Thank you for explaining what I was trying to say with more clarity.

You should feel really bad about yourself if DF said what you meant but more clearly

User avatar
smaug_
Posts: 2195
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: NU ED vs. shot at CCN?

Postby smaug_ » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:35 pm

IAFG wrote:You should feel really bad about yourself if DF said what you meant but more clearly


I always feel really bad about myself. :|

User avatar
skers
Posts: 4950
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:33 am

Re: NU ED vs. shot at CCN?

Postby skers » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:38 pm

NU ED is worth it, but you're not getting it. It's probably still worth a shot with applications still trending down, but don't plan on it.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: NU ED vs. shot at CCN?

Postby IAFG » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:39 pm

TemporarySaint wrote:NU ED is worth it, but you're not getting it. It's probably still worth a shot with applications still trending down, but don't plan on it.

I dunno. I heard some ED schollies get awarded that made me MAF (as someone with a 3.48/173 and definitely NOT a full ride) so I think it would be worth trying.

Fitz51
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:53 pm

Re: NU ED vs. shot at CCN?

Postby Fitz51 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:39 pm

What are the numbers usually associated with the NU ED? I've been looking and coming up empty.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15470
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: NU ED vs. shot at CCN?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:19 pm

Fitz51 wrote:What are the numbers usually associated with the NU ED? I've been looking and coming up empty.

Most people on LSN who got it were above both medians. Lowest GPA was a 3.55, which came with a 174 LSAT and apparently four years of very solid work experience.

Fitz51
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:53 pm

Re: NU ED vs. shot at CCN?

Postby Fitz51 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:32 pm

To update:

Got NYU RD in the first big wave, then NU ED in the first wave...so obviously NU it is.

User avatar
smaug_
Posts: 2195
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: NU ED vs. shot at CCN?

Postby smaug_ » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:35 pm

Fitz51 wrote:To update:

Got NYU RD in the first big wave, then NU ED in the first wave...so obviously NU it is.



Congrats!

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: NU ED vs. shot at CCN?

Postby Rahviveh » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:42 pm

I stand corrected. The numbers for NU ED are a lot less competitive than I thought they'd be. Seems like a huge market inefficiency IMO (and a potential opportunity for applicants).

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: NU ED vs. shot at CCN?

Postby Doorkeeper » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:41 pm

Fitz51 wrote:To update:

Got NYU RD in the first big wave, then NU ED in the first wave...so obviously NU it is.

NU ED gives you the full ride scholarship, right?

Excellent outcome considering your biglaw goals.

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: NU ED vs. shot at CCN?

Postby NoodleyOne » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:45 pm

Fitz51 wrote:To update:

Got NYU RD in the first big wave, then NU ED in the first wave...so obviously NU it is.

Kick ass man. Congrats and enjoy Chicago.

Fitz51
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:53 pm

Re: NU ED vs. shot at CCN?

Postby Fitz51 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:06 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
Fitz51 wrote:To update:

Got NYU RD in the first big wave, then NU ED in the first wave...so obviously NU it is.

NU ED gives you the full ride scholarship, right?

Excellent outcome considering your biglaw goals.


It's $50k/year, which is just shy of their tuition. I am already living and working in Chicago w/savings, so (knock on wood) will graduate with no debt.

User avatar
moonman157
Posts: 1039
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:26 pm

Re: NU ED vs. shot at CCN?

Postby moonman157 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:16 pm

You definitely made the right decision. Congrats!

User avatar
banjo
Posts: 1345
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:00 pm

Re: NU ED vs. shot at CCN?

Postby banjo » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:34 pm

You made the right call, Fitz. If I get rejected from H, I'll seriously regret not applying NU ED.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: NU ED vs. shot at CCN?

Postby IAFG » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:45 pm

Congrats!!




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Specter1389, splitterfromhell, TatteredDignity and 5 guests