IU-Indy or T14?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Nova

Re: IU-Indy or T14?

Postby Nova » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:03 pm

iowalum wrote:Either go to a T-14 or commute to IU-B (several people in my class are doing this, it's really not that bad). Still get to stay in Indy, better job prospects.

I agree with this. The decision should be IU-B with $$/$ v T14....

It would be foolish to attend IU-I with T14 numbers, even for free with no stips.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:19 pm

Nova wrote:
iowalum wrote:Either go to a T-14 or commute to IU-B (several people in my class are doing this, it's really not that bad). Still get to stay in Indy, better job prospects.

It would be foolish to attend IU-I with T14 numbers, even for free with no stips.

Are IU-B employment numbers that much better than IU-I? It means no commute.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:25 pm

If OP is in the running for a full ride at NU that's probably the route she/he should take assuming HYS aren't options. NU won't guarantee Indy biglaw like people are saying, but the risk is definitely worth it if NU is free.

seattlegirl

Postby seattlegirl » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:02 pm

I echo the comments of this other poster. As a current NU student who transferred from a T2 regional school and is going back to that smaller city / region with a biglaw job at one of the best firms in the city, I would say that you should almost certainly go to a T14. T14s simply open up doors that otherwise are not possible (this is really unfair but true). With your ties to Indy, you should definitely stand a great chance of being able to make it back to Indy gainfully employed as a lawyer (esp if you mass mail the firms who don't do OCI at the T14, put your OCI bids in for all the Indy firms possible, start going to networking events in Indy during your 1L summer, and get a 1L summer job at a firm or govt agency in Indy).

Based on your background, I would think NU might be a great fit both because of its culture (NU has a lot of older students, students with families, practically-oriented classes that students with WE appreciate, etc) and its location (it is not too far from Indy).

Going to a T2 is just an uphill battle (in terms of grades, jobs, networking opportunities, etc...trust me, I speak from experience). And law school grades are kind of a crapshoot, especially for the 1st year curved classes. So it is infinitely better to not *have* to be at the tippety-top of the class to have options for jobs. Because everyone at the T2 school knows that they have to be at the top of the curve, everyone studies A LOT. T2 students are smart and motivated by their need to repay their debt (please understand that). Always needing to be at the top of the curve is really, really hard and draining (it will also cause you to spend a lot of time away from your family...again, this is based on experience).

So, here is an out-of-the-box idea to consider (just something for you and your family to think about). While it would obviously be better for your wife and kids to move with you to Chicago and if that is at all possible, they totally should! However, if that is not possible (i.e., your wife can't find a job, your kids refuse to leave their friends, you will not have the needed babysitters, etc), you could always live in Chicago during the week in a small studio and then go to Indy on the weekends (I know someone who did that in WA...commuted from Seattle to Eastern WA every / most weekends...which is a good 200+ miles). Chicago and Indy are really not that far apart and 1st year classes on Fridays are typically over pretty early (so you could totally drive back home on Friday and to Chicago on Monday).

Moreover, the first year is the only year you have to be on campus 5 days a week...the other 2 years (4 semesters) you can plan your schedule your way. This means that you could probably create a schedule where you would only have to be in Chicago 2-3 consecutive days a week in a row if you plan your classes right. I know someone who commuted in her 2nd and 3rd year from Madison, WI to NU, so people definitely plan their schedules strategically (sometimes for commuting purposes).

So, I recommend you seriously consider going to a T14 (esp NU, which might be a great fit for you!). Ping me via IM if you want to know more about anything I have talked about here. Best of luck to you! It sounds like you have great options...and congrats on the fantastic stats!

FattyMcFatFat wrote:
LeninLunchbox wrote:
What schools would I have the best chance at receiving significant financial aid within the T14?

It seems to me you are an absolute posterchild for the Northwestern ED program. It's a full ride at a t14. With your numbers and especially your WE that NU values more than any other school, you have a VERY good shot at getting it. You'd be a 3.5 hour drive from family. With your ties, a t14 degree and your WE, you'd have a very very good shot at indy biglaw coming out, among the best. You'd have an even better chance at getting a decent paying job somewhere, probably in the IN/IL area. I don't go to NU, I didn't ED there, but I just feel like you are the exact person they had in mind for that program.

Obviously, the choice is yours, but I think going to IU-I would be a crime against reason if you got a significant scholly at NU Michigan or UChi. In 12 months where would like to be: A) busting your ass to make the top tenth or even twentieth of the class at IU-I and then MAYBE having a shot at indy biglaw and, outside of that, left with peanuts, or B) going into your first exams knowing that if you're in the top half you've got among the best shots at indy biglaw and if you strike out, still a decent shot at another good midwestern job?

I agree with most of this. I just think you're in the running for a full ride as high as Chicago. You are above both medians. I'm not sure I would ED Northwestern. It wouldn't be a horrible decision though.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:31 pm

Tom Joad wrote: Are IU-B employment numbers that much better than IU-I? It means no commute.

ehh. LST has IU-B at about 10% better chace of finding full time, long term, jd required, work. But uhh, I retract my previous statement.

Leave the nest OP!

Hopfeully you end up choosing between NU with $$ vs Chicago... or something.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:52 pm

seattlegirl wrote:I echo the comments of this other poster. As a current NU student who transferred from a T2 regional school and is going back to that smaller city / region with a biglaw job at one of the best firms in the city, I would say that you should almost certainly go to a T14. T14s simply open up doors that otherwise are not possible (this is really unfair but true). With your ties to Indy, you should definitely stand a great chance of being able to make it back to Indy gainfully employed as a lawyer (esp if you mass mail the firms who don't do OCI at the T14, put your OCI bids in for all the Indy firms possible, start going to networking events in Indy during your 1L summer, and get a 1L summer job at a firm or govt agency in Indy).

Based on your background, I would think NU might be a great fit both because of its culture (NU has a lot of older students, students with families, practically-oriented classes that students with WE appreciate, etc) and its location (it is not too far from Indy).

Going to a T2 is just an uphill battle (in terms of grades, jobs, networking opportunities, etc...trust me, I speak from experience). And law school grades are kind of a crapshoot, especially for the 1st year curved classes. So it is infinitely better to not *have* to be at the tippety-top of the class to have options for jobs. Because everyone at the T2 school knows that they have to be at the top of the curve, everyone studies A LOT. T2 students are smart and motivated by their need to repay their debt (please understand that). Always needing to be at the top of the curve is really, really hard and draining (it will also cause you to spend a lot of time away from your family...again, this is based on experience).

So, here is an out-of-the-box idea to consider (just something for you and your family to think about). While it would obviously be better for your wife and kids to move with you to Chicago and if that is at all possible, they totally should! However, if that is not possible (i.e., your wife can't find a job, your kids refuse to leave their friends, you will not have the needed babysitters, etc), you could always live in Chicago during the week in a small studio and then go to Indy on the weekends (I know someone who did that in WA...commuted from Seattle to Eastern WA every / most weekends...which is a good 200+ miles). Chicago and Indy are really not that far apart and 1st year classes on Fridays are typically over pretty early (so you could totally drive back home on Friday and to Chicago on Monday).

Moreover, the first year is the only year you have to be on campus 5 days a week...the other 2 years (4 semesters) you can plan your schedule your way. This means that you could probably create a schedule where you would only have to be in Chicago 2-3 consecutive days a week in a row if you plan your classes right. I know someone who commuted in her 2nd and 3rd year from Madison, WI to NU, so people definitely plan their schedules strategically (sometimes for commuting purposes).

So, I recommend you seriously consider going to a T14 (esp NU, which might be a great fit for you!). Ping me via IM if you want to know more about anything I have talked about here. Best of luck to you! It sounds like you have great options...and congrats on the fantastic stats!

FattyMcFatFat wrote:
LeninLunchbox wrote:
What schools would I have the best chance at receiving significant financial aid within the T14?

It seems to me you are an absolute posterchild for the Northwestern ED program. It's a full ride at a t14. With your numbers and especially your WE that NU values more than any other school, you have a VERY good shot at getting it. You'd be a 3.5 hour drive from family. With your ties, a t14 degree and your WE, you'd have a very very good shot at indy biglaw coming out, among the best. You'd have an even better chance at getting a decent paying job somewhere, probably in the IN/IL area. I don't go to NU, I didn't ED there, but I just feel like you are the exact person they had in mind for that program.

Obviously, the choice is yours, but I think going to IU-I would be a crime against reason if you got a significant scholly at NU Michigan or UChi. In 12 months where would like to be: A) busting your ass to make the top tenth or even twentieth of the class at IU-I and then MAYBE having a shot at indy biglaw and, outside of that, left with peanuts, or B) going into your first exams knowing that if you're in the top half you've got among the best shots at indy biglaw and if you strike out, still a decent shot at another good midwestern job?

I agree with most of this. I just think you're in the running for a full ride as high as Chicago. You are above both medians. I'm not sure I would ED Northwestern. It wouldn't be a horrible decision though.

lolwut?! How is that even possible in the winter? Also are we talking like Wenatchee/Yakima/Ellensburg (which wouldn't be too bad) or like fuckin Spokane, Walla Walla, or even the tri-cities (which would be a serious nightmare)

EdgarWinter

Postby EdgarWinter » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:12 am

Last edited by EdgarWinter on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:29 am

EdgarWinter wrote:I think you guys are making this decision sound easier than it really is. How much of wife's income will OP lose? Is her career severely damaged if they have to move? What about the kids? What are OP's outside career options?

This isn't something that should be made in a vacuum. Everybody wants OP to throw the whole family's eggs into law school when maybe just going local for free would (depending on wife's career) be totally fine even if he doesn't get a legal job. Idk. I'd have a hard time uprooting several lives b/c "yo I feel like going to lawl school now" or w/e.

That's what I was thinking as well. Particularly if you only intend to move elsewhere for 3 years and then return to Indy. That really doesn't make sense for the family to have to be uprooted twice, wife starting her career over twice, etc.

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:40 am

Nova wrote:

Going to IU-B over IU-I in this situation would be dumb. They are seen as basically equivalent in Indy, so it would not be worth the move.

boilers10

Postby boilers10 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:58 am

OP- may want to check this out http://indylaw.indiana.edu/admissions/k ... holars.htm

Also, as a current 3L at IU-Indy who took a full ride here over some other "higher" options (though no T14s), I may be able to offer some insight if you have any specific questions.

I will say that the poster who said in this situation IUB over IUI is a poor choice is correct. Good luck and congrats!

EdgarWinter

Postby EdgarWinter » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:04 pm

Is long distance an option? OP could always try for $$$ at Northwestern and commute home for weekends (3.5 hour drive I think). Would undoubtedly be rough but might be something to think about.

MAHamlin

Postby MAHamlin » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:06 am

I just wanted to post an end-of-cycle update to this thread and thank those who encouraged me to step outside my comfort-zone (Indianapolis).

After spending hours investigating employment opportunities my wife finally admitted that IU-Indy probably didn't make sense given the schools my numbers were competitive at. I applied to nine schools in the T14 (HYSCCVMND). I was rejected outright at Yale, admitted RD to NU with $50k/yr, admitted to IU-Indy with $19k/yr (instate), and wait listed everywhere else. I probably didn't do a very good job showing specific interest in a lot of schools which led to a lot of YP.

I am thrilled to report, however, that I was accepted to H off their wait list! Furthermore, due to the fact that I am old enough that they don't consider parental contribution and am married with two children, their financial aid package was VERY generous. So, we'll be in Boston for at least the next three years.

I should add that I really loved NU and would have been very excited to be a student there. I had a great time at ASW and Chicago is a great town. To those in a similar position in the future, I would advise against applying ED to NU with numbers and WE similar to mine; I got the full ride anyways and kept my options open.

Thanks again to everyone for encouraging me to shoot higher; I likely wouldn't have received this incredible opportunity otherwise!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”