University of Illinois Class of 2016 (with Dean Ray) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: University of Illinois Class of 2016 (with Dean Ray)

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:54 pm

ajax wrote:I think everyone here would agree having Dean Ray here to answer questions is a privilege. However, I think most would also agree that Dean Ray isn't just answering questions, she's trying to sell her law school, and sometimes to the detriment of others (encouraging those to not retake). There is nothing wrong with asking a dean to leave in this case-where prospective students could be harmed because of her "advice".
There is something wrong with telling another poster to leave. This is what's wrong with it:

To everyone else: If any poster gives what you consider bad advice, you're free to disagree or discuss all you want. That's both permitted and encouraged. But "you suck"/"go away" posts aren't discussing, they're heckling. There is no right to heckling posters you dislike in the on-topic forums.

If you want to debate mod policy, don't reply here, go to this thread instead: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 0&t=146657

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:16 pm

vanwinkle wrote: If you want to debate mod policy, don't reply here, go to this thread instead: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 0&t=146657
Posting to second this. This could be a useful thread for potential/actual U of Ill. students. Let's not muck it up with a bunch of debate about the forums.

sprinky07

New

Post by sprinky07 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:28 am

Dean Ray,

I have a couple of questions for you!

1. What percentage of matriculating students are normally Illinois residents?

2. Because in-state tuition is cheaper than out-of-state tuition, is it more difficult for a resident of Illinois to receive a scholarship over an equally qualified out-of-state applicant?

3. Lastly, this might be here-say, but I read somewhere that Illinois had to pay a pretty significant fine because of the admissions scandal. Since this money obviously has to come from somewhere, I'm just kind of curious as to whether or not Illinois is planning on reducing the amount of scholarships it hands out each year for prospective students in order to pay for their fine.

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions.

mqt

Gold

Post by mqt » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:18 am

Dean Ray,

When looking at students, how much can an effective addendum/PS help a splitter with a down stretch during UG if the reason is legitimate, provided they show steps of improvement?

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:50 am

Dear Dean, would you please address the following post? http://insidethelawschoolscam.blogspot. ... dents.html

Thank you,

AA

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:47 pm

...Well, that was short.

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:22 am

blurbz wrote:...Well, that was short.
I believe TLS was overly harsh to the Dean in this thread, but it is quite telling when a Dean of school within an industry in crisis can't even stand up to the biting comments of a few online posters. I was looking forward to this thread, and I fully appreciate the Dean's perspective and motivation to promote her school. It is, after all, her job to improve the reputation and encourage attendance. Disappointing.
Last edited by danquayle on Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

illiniguy1551

Bronze

Post by illiniguy1551 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:44 am

Still waiting on the '15 numbers, anyone?

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:31 pm

illiniguy1551 wrote:Still waiting on the '15 numbers, anyone?

This year's excel spreadsheet must be extra complicated.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:40 pm

Heckling should be the least of the concerns of anyone applying to schools outside of the top 6 nowadays.

jstr00az

New

Post by jstr00az » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:46 pm

Having a law school dean here and answering our questions is a privilege. If we must choose between the dean and a poster who can't stand the dean, guess who we'll choose.

In other words, telling people to go away is the moderators' job; for example:

Dean Ray, apologies on behalf of TLS. Please send me a PM if this happens again and I'll handle it.
A privilege? She's a state employee at a university (that in this particular case reported false data). She's furthermore on this board at the height application seasons. Don't be such a brown noser. Privilege, indeed.

And as far as choosing between her and a poster, why does any choice need to be made? She can hold her own, I would assume, having been trained in the high arts of "leadership" and thinking like a lawyer. Anyone who has sat through a deposition or a cross-examination by a hostile party has suffered far worse.

Also, the answers she's been giving have been vague to the point of uselessness. For instance, when asked how big a drop in applications, she simply said they're down. Uhh. Ok.

jstr00az

New

Post by jstr00az » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:51 pm

TLS was overly harsh? Sheesh. Have any of you sat through a vigorous cross in court, or a deposition by a hostile party? There was nothing harsh about it, and everything that was vague about her answers. She was here to drum up numbers, and when someone asked some pointed questions, she apparently decided not to post any longer. That's sad for her, not for TLS.

Her salary comes almost entirely from state money - whether it's the State of Illinois, or federally subsidized loans. She's a public employee. Who would go to such a school where the dean is so offended by someone who told her to stop her shilling that she didn't post any longer.

And to the extent that this website is at all useful, it's the commenters on the forums. Not moderators who purport to speak for the whole institution, as if that were even possible.

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:18 am

jstr00az wrote:TLS was overly harsh? Sheesh. Have any of you sat through a vigorous cross in court, or a deposition by a hostile party? There was nothing harsh about it, and everything that was vague about her answers. She was here to drum up numbers, and when someone asked some pointed questions, she apparently decided not to post any longer. That's sad for her, not for TLS.

Her salary comes almost entirely from state money - whether it's the State of Illinois, or federally subsidized loans. She's a public employee. Who would go to such a school where the dean is so offended by someone who told her to stop her shilling that she didn't post any longer.

And to the extent that this website is at all useful, it's the commenters on the forums. Not moderators who purport to speak for the whole institution, as if that were even possible.
It's useful to have a representative of a T1 law school fielding questions. Even if the questions are rhetoric, it's still useful to hear what these people are thinking and try to get some insight we're not likely to get elsewhere.

This is not a court of law. It's stupid to make that comparison. (Especially since I doubt most posters are even lawyers). I found her comments far more interesting than some obnoxious TLSers, and I'm disappointed those obnoxious posters seem to have scared her off. Not because I'm defending her. But because: I. Wanted. To. Read. Her. Comments.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:24 pm

I wonder how the deans of any of these schools can sleep at night or look in a mirror.

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:39 pm

Illinois Caramel Corn

“This snack unites salty and sweet in every heaping handful.”
Martha Stewart Living, July 2010

INGREDIENTS:

• 12 cups popped popcorn (from 1/2 cup kernels)
• 1 1/2 cups Beer Nuts or shelled salted peanuts
• 1 stick plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 1 1/4 cups packed light-brown sugar
• 1/3 cup light corn syrup
• Coarse salt
• 1/4 teaspoon baking soda

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Place popcorn and nuts in a large bowl. Melt butter in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat. Stir in sugar, corn syrup, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves. Raise heat to high; bring to a boil without stirring. Cook until mixture reaches 248 degrees on a candy thermometer, 2 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in baking soda.

2. Add caramel to popcorn, and stir to coat. Transfer mixture to a rimmed baking sheet.

3. Bake for 45 minutes, stirring twice. Remove from oven, and immediately sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt. Let cool. Break into clusters.

Makes 12 cups

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:18 am

jstr00az wrote:
Having a law school dean here and answering our questions is a privilege. If we must choose between the dean and a poster who can't stand the dean, guess who we'll choose.

In other words, telling people to go away is the moderators' job; for example:

Dean Ray, apologies on behalf of TLS. Please send me a PM if this happens again and I'll handle it.
A privilege? She's a state employee at a university (that in this particular case reported false data). She's furthermore on this board at the height application seasons. Don't be such a brown noser. Privilege, indeed.
Protip: Once the mod says "don't reply here", don't reply here. The mods are not inviting discussion when they state why they banned someone. So, have a timeout to dwell on that.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:21 am

Also, thread lock. The dean can PM me if they want the thread unlocked, or start a new thread.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”