University of Illinois Class of 2016 (with Dean Ray) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Dean_Ray

New

University of Illinois Class of 2016 (with Dean Ray)

Post by Dean_Ray » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:02 pm

Hello, Now that applications are in full swing, I started this thread to provide an opportunity for applicants or prospective applicants to ask questions about Illinois Law or the application process generally. We will begin reviewing ED applications this month.

Illinois Law has waived its application fee for all applicants for the 2012-2013 cycle.

I look forward to answering your questions.

Best,

Rebecca Ray
Assistant Dean for Admissions & Financial Aid
University of Illinois College of Law
Last edited by Dean_Ray on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blurbz

Silver

Re: University of Illinois Class of 2016 (with Dean Ray)

Post by blurbz » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:11 pm

Thanks for doing this, Dean Ray.

What is the academic profile of the current 1L class at Illinois? Unlike most schools, I've not yet seen LSAT/GPA 25th percentiles, medians, and 75th percentiles for the class of 2015 at Illinois. This data is definitely useful to applicants and I'm excited for it to be released!

Dean_Ray

New

Post by Dean_Ray » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:24 pm

blurbz wrote:Thanks for doing this, Dean Ray.

What is the academic profile of the current 1L class at Illinois? Unlike most schools, I've not yet seen LSAT/GPA 25th percentiles, medians, and 75th percentiles for the class of 2015 at Illinois. This data is definitely useful to applicants and I'm excited for it to be released!
Blurbz, You are most welcome.

We have not yet released the academic profile for the Class of 2015. As soon as we do, I will post it here and it will go on our website.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:37 pm

I understand given what happened last year wanting to double and triple check those numbers, but isn't it a few months past when they are usually released? Most other law schools have already released that data. What is the reason for the delay with Illinois?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:41 pm

Also curious. Is it due to low numbers that might dissuade some from applying ? Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ndel21

Bronze

Post by ndel21 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:07 pm

Dean Ray,

My question is in regards to the overall application process. I was wondering what effect does the GPA from an MBA program have on the admission process. I know that undergraduate GPA as well as LSAT scores are more important but I still want to know if the GPA from an MBA program carries any weight in the process.

Thank you

Dean_Ray

New

Post by Dean_Ray » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:45 pm

LT & Canadian Wolf: Part of the College of Law's Institutional Transparency Plan is enhanced internal and external controls of our Class Profile reporting. The implementation of those controls means that our 2015 Class Profile will not be released as early as in past years. I would encourage any prospective student to review the Institutional Transparency Plan, which can be accessed on our website. I can assure you that it has nothing to do with "low numbers that might dissuade some from applying."

We have waived the application fee for all applicants. We do not want to miss out on quality students because they are self-selecting out of the process, based on any information.

Hope this helps,

RR

Dean_Ray

New

Post by Dean_Ray » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:49 pm

ndel21 wrote:Dean Ray,

My question is in regards to the overall application process. I was wondering what effect does the GPA from an MBA program have on the admission process. I know that undergraduate GPA as well as LSAT scores are more important but I still want to know if the GPA from an MBA program carries any weight in the process.

Thank you
ndel21: We review an applicant's entire application, including any graduate coursework. I cannot quantify the effect that an MBA GPA might have on our decision, but we will consider it in the same way we might consider an applicant's other pursuits between undergrad and applying to law school. A higher MBA GPA, together with a thoughtful personal statement, may indicate a level of maturity and work ethic that may not be reflected in an applicant's UGPA.

I hope you found that helpful,

RR

ajax

Bronze

Post by ajax » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:00 pm

Assistant Dean Ray,

Will LSAC be verifying your median and 25/75 LSATs this cycle?

http://www.nationaljurist.com/content/l ... at-medians

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dean_Ray

New

Post by Dean_Ray » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:05 pm

ajax wrote:Assistant Dean Ray,

Will LSAC be verifying your median and 25/75 LSATs this cycle?

http://www.nationaljurist.com/content/l ... at-medians
Ajax: Yes, LSAC will be verifying our Class of 2015 Profile data.

RR

Dean_Ray

New

Post by Dean_Ray » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:30 pm

For those of you on the West Coast, I will be at UC Irvine on Monday, 11/5, and at UC San Diego on Wednesday, 11/7. Our Associate Director of Admissions, Suzanne Rogers, will be at the Los Angeles LSAC Forum on 11/10 and at the UCLA Pre-Law Society Law Forum on 11/14. We look forward to answering your questions in person.

Best,

RR

ashen

Bronze

Post by ashen » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:40 pm

Hi Dean Ray,
How will the late release of the October LSAT scores affect the ED deadline?

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:42 pm

What is Pless doing now?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:47 pm

Since this thread is as much for prospective applicants as those who have already applied and may be choosing between schools, I've moved it to the "Choosing a Law School" forum. This will hopefully better reach your target audience while leaving the Acceptances, Denials & Waitlists forum as a place for fellow applicants to mutually discuss their applications.

Thanks for your contributions to our forum. We appreciate your presence here.

Dean_Ray

New

Post by Dean_Ray » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:53 pm

ashen wrote:Hi Dean Ray,
How will the late release of the October LSAT scores affect the ED deadline?

Hi Ashen: We will accept ED applications/agreements through November 7. The November 15 deadline to get all other supporting documents submitted will remain unchanged. I anticipate that we will still be able to inform ED applicants of our decision by December 15.

LSAC's website indicates that scores should have/will go out today. Did that not happen? The schools get your LSAT scores a day or so after the test-takers. If the scores were delayed beyond today, we will revisit the 11/7 deadline.

Best,
RR

Dean_Ray

New

Post by Dean_Ray » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:54 pm

vanwinkle wrote:Since this thread is as much for prospective applicants as those who have already applied and may be choosing between schools, I've moved it to the "Choosing a Law School" forum. This will hopefully better reach your target audience while leaving the Acceptances, Denials & Waitlists forum as a place for fellow applicants to mutually discuss their applications.

Thanks for your contributions to our forum. We appreciate your presence here.

Thanks, vanwinkle.

RR

Dean_Ray

New

Post by Dean_Ray » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:56 pm

dr123 wrote:What is Pless doing now?

dr123: I probably should have stated this in my opening post, but I will not answer questions about Pless or past conduct here.

Best,
RR

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ashen

Bronze

Post by ashen » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:17 pm

Dean Ray,
Thank you for the prompt response!
I had one more question regarding the ED process.
The ED form is in pdf format, which cannot be uploaded to the LSAC website. Do I have to convert it to a .doc file before I can attach it to my application?
Thanks again.

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:47 pm

Dean Ray,

How soon do you find out how many people took the October LSAT? (I think we have to wait 2-3 weeks). You can totally pm that figure to me in COMPLETE confidence :P

Dean_Ray

New

Post by Dean_Ray » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:20 am

ashen wrote:Dean Ray,
Thank you for the prompt response!
I had one more question regarding the ED process.
The ED form is in pdf format, which cannot be uploaded to the LSAC website. Do I have to convert it to a .doc file before I can attach it to my application?
Thanks again.

Ashen: I believe that if, when you download the agreement, you save it to your computer as a .pdf file, then it will upload into LSAC. If that does not work, you can email the pdf to law-admissions@illinois.edu. We will put it in your file.

Best,

RR

Dean_Ray

New

Post by Dean_Ray » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:29 am

justonemoregame wrote:Dean Ray,

How soon do you find out how many people took the October LSAT? (I think we have to wait 2-3 weeks). You can totally pm that figure to me in COMPLETE confidence :P

Justonemoregame: We do not yet have that information. Your guess is as good as mine.

Best,

RR

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Dean_Ray

New

Post by Dean_Ray » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:45 am

All, I know that many of you received your LSAT scores last night. And that some of you may be considering retaking the exam in December. There are two points to consider.

First, we review applications on a rolling basis. The order in which your application is reviewed is determined by the date that application is completed. If we see a pending LSAT score, your application is not complete and it will not be placed in the queue for review until we receive that LSAT score, assuming we have all other materials.

Second, most people do not change their LSAT score by a significant margin by retaking the exam unless there were extenuating circumstances before or during the first exam (e.g., getting mugged on the way to the exam --happened to a friend of mine).

With these two pieces of information, I would encourage those applicants considering retaking the exam in December to weigh the likelihood of increasing the score by 4 or 5 points against being later in the admissions cycle. Only you know how hard you prepared for the first exam and whether you're willing to put in MORE work to retake the exam.

Best,

RR

nsideirish

Bronze

Post by nsideirish » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:09 pm

What kind of scholarships does UofI give out? Any chance at 50% or full scholarships? What kind of numbers would qualify prospective students for such scholarships?

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:10 pm

Dean_Ray wrote:All, I know that many of you received your LSAT scores last night. And that some of you may be considering retaking the exam in December. There are two points to consider.

First, we review applications on a rolling basis. The order in which your application is reviewed is determined by the date that application is completed. If we see a pending LSAT score, your application is not complete and it will not be placed in the queue for review until we receive that LSAT score, assuming we have all other materials.

Second, most people do not change their LSAT score by a significant margin by retaking the exam unless there were extenuating circumstances before or during the first exam (e.g., getting mugged on the way to the exam --happened to a friend of mine).

With these two pieces of information, I would encourage those applicants considering retaking the exam in December to weigh the likelihood of increasing the score by 4 or 5 points against being later in the admissions cycle. Only you know how hard you prepared for the first exam and whether you're willing to put in MORE work to retake the exam.

Best,

RR
Source? Not saying you're wrong but that runs counter to the anecdotal evidence I've seen on TLS. A lot of people can improve with a retake

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:20 pm

It's probably true that a majority of re-takers don't increase by more than a few points, but those few points are likely to make a huge difference. At this stage in the process, though, they are probably better off waiting until next cycle to apply since that will afford them more time to prep, and they can have their apps in before most people.

Students browsing this forum seeking advice are perhaps more likely than others to achieve higher LSAT increases, though.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”