Big Law in Texas

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
someguy55

Big Law in Texas

Postby someguy55 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:16 pm

What are my chances at biglaw in Texas coming from UT Law? Would it be better to go to a higher ranked school across the country?

crit_racer

Re: Big Law in Texas

Postby crit_racer » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:04 pm

TX Biglaw generally requires a GPA in the top 1/4 or so of the class. If you have good WE or are a great interviewer, you may be able to get by with less. If you are a bad interviewer or are not from TX, you may strike out w/ even better grades.

If you're from TX, then yes I would say it's better to go to a higher ranked school (assuming a T10 like UVa or something) than UT. It's not easy being in the top 1/4 at UT.

ETA: UT has dropped its class sizes significantly. Class of 2014 was like 375, class of 2015 is like 300. Class of 2015 may have an easier time at OCI...

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:12 pm

Are you from Texas?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:30 pm

If you're from Texas and the city you want to work in, then go to a higher-ranked school.

If you're not from Texas, then go to UT.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:46 pm

Bump.

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:52 pm

kalvano wrote:If you're from Texas and the city you want to work in, then go to a higher-ranked school.

This is credited. Everyone I know at my T6 who was from Texas and applied for a 1L Biglaw SA got one.

kalvano wrote:

I disagree. If you're not from Texas, just give up on the idea of Texas biglaw. Any decent employment > unemployment, and you stand a real chance of that going to UT without any ties to Texas (although it would be, admittedly, your best shot at Texas biglaw). Go to a T14, apply to NYC / DC and the market you grew up in, and enjoy employment. Maybe try to find a good reason to lateral to Texas after a few years.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:58 pm

badaboom61 wrote:
kalvano wrote:

I disagree. If you're not from Texas, just give up on the idea of Texas biglaw. Any decent employment > unemployment, and you stand a real chance of that going to UT without any ties to Texas (although it would be, admittedly, your best shot at Texas biglaw). Go to a T14, apply to NYC / DC and the market you grew up in, and enjoy employment. Maybe try to find a good reason to lateral to Texas after a few years.

That's bullshit. You can get Texas Biglaw from UT, even if you've never been to Texas before in your life. Plenty of people are flooding in to the state, and the "why here" question isn't as important as it used to be.

You don't even have to go to UT, though it makes it much easier. Plenty of people here at SMU who moved to Texas specifically for law school got Biglaw.

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:05 pm

kalvano wrote:
badaboom61 wrote:
kalvano wrote:

That's bullshit. You can get Texas Biglaw from UT, even if you've never been to Texas before in your life. Plenty of people are flooding in to the state, and the "why here" question isn't as important as it used to be.

You don't even have to go to UT, though it makes it much easier. Plenty of people here at SMU who moved to Texas specifically for law school got Biglaw.

Yes, OP could get Texas biglaw if he went to Texas. But the odds of going to UT and getting Texas biglaw are significantly lower than going to say, Penn and getting New York biglaw. On the other hand, he will be pretty much shut out of Texas biglaw if he goes to Penn. I say take the safe option and go for more secure employment rather than taking the gamble on Texas.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:09 pm

badaboom61 wrote:
kalvano wrote:
badaboom61 wrote:
kalvano wrote:

Yes, OP could get Texas biglaw if he went to Texas. But the odds of going to UT and getting Texas biglaw are significantly lower than going to say, Penn and getting New York biglaw. On the other hand, he will be pretty much shut out of Texas biglaw if he goes to Penn. I say take the safe option and go for more secure employment rather than taking the gamble on Texas.

Or he could get one of the number of boutique firms in Texas that pay well but are small and don't qualify as "Biglaw". Depends on what (s)he wants. If the goal is to work in Texas and get paid well, then UT is the clear-cut choice if OP is not from Texas.

someguy55

Postby someguy55 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:00 pm

I'm from the midwest but not Texas.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:07 pm

badaboom61 wrote:Yes, OP could get Texas biglaw if he went to Texas. But the odds of going to UT and getting Texas biglaw are significantly lower than going to say, Penn and getting New York biglaw. On the other hand, he will be pretty much shut out of Texas biglaw if he goes to Penn. I say take the safe option and go for more secure employment rather than taking the gamble on Texas.

Aside from the other things that kalvano pointed out, the other problem with what your post is that this is not really correct. Frankly it's not nearly as easy to get biglaw at a top 14 (other than HYS) as you're making it out to be.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:46 pm

I got Big Tex without being from Texas and without going to UT so it happens. You will pretty much have to work in either Dallas or Houston after 1L to make this happen and hype up how you like Texas (and actually come up with some concrete reasons why while you're there -- if you don't like it then you probably shouldn't go for it). Going to a higher ranked school, you miss out on some of the smaller TX firms that pay market but you will have better access to other cities that care less about ties.

I go to U of M.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”