Stingiest T-14 Law School

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which T-14 Law Schools are the Stingiest?

University of Chicago
8%
NYU
9%
UC Berkeley
19%
University of Pennsylvania
4%
University of Virginia
11%
University of Michigan
6%
Duke University
6%
Northwestern University
4%
Georgetown University
24%
Cornell University
9%

Total votes: 144

WhiteyCakes

Re: Stingiest T-14 Law School

Postby WhiteyCakes » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:54 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:What about savings? I don't know about you, but I have about $60K in savings (living in those $500 a month apartments before law school). What about the SA during 2L summer? A lot of Michigan students get those. That's another $20K. The point was too many people live beyond their means.

How on earth do you have 60k in savings? That is more than double my salary. Mommy and daddy must have been good to you.

EDIT: I just re-read your earlier posts. You lose all credibility with your "grew up in a trailer park so I have great need" story when you admit that you're swimming in cash.

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:02 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:What about savings? I don't know about you, but I have about $60K in savings (living in those $500 a month apartments before law school). What about the SA during 2L summer? A lot of Michigan students get those. That's another $20K. The point was too many people live beyond their means.

No, most people don't have $60k in savings.

But regardless, the larger point is that what's the point in saving a few grand in living expenses? Oh boy, I'll have $275k in debt instead of $280k! It doesn't affect your ability to pay for the degree or find decent legal employment sufficient to service your debt in any meaningful way.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:04 pm

WhiteyCakes wrote:

How on earth do you have 60k in savings? That is more than double my salary. Mommy and daddy must have been good to you.

Its by not majoring in something useless like English in undergraduate. I majored in construction science (called construction engineering, construction management or architectural engineering at a lot of schools). Let me tell you: If you want to make a lot of money, go get a degree in this field. When I graduated from undergrad, I had four job offers: $53K, $60K, $58K and $52K. I had about 30 interviews during my graduating semester. Over time, someone in my field can very easily make six figures for a few different reasons: (1) The construction industry has only become professionalized in the past 20 or 30 years (there are not that many people with my college degree), (2) the degree is in very high demand because of this professionalization, (3) the degree is very portable (there are construction projects going on all over the world-- I have been to Singapore and Norway just to name a few places). I am about to create a post for people on this website on how you can make six figures without a law degree. At one point, I was close to $80K in savings when my stocks were doing very well. I graduated in December 2008 right when the stock market had just bottomed. Life has been pretty good since then.

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:06 pm

Sounds like you got it all figured out. Why are you posting here? You should be running Congress or something. Your amazing backstory combined with this blinding intelligence would make you a lock.

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:06 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:
WhiteyCakes wrote:

Its by not majoring in something useless like English in undergraduate. I majored in construction science (called construction engineering, construction management or architectural engineering at a lot of schools). Let me tell you: If you want to make a lot of money, go get a degree in this field. When I graduated from undergrad, I had four job offers: $53K, $60K, $58K and $52K. I had about 30 interviews during my graduating semester. Over time, someone in my field can very easily make six figures for a few different reasons: (1) The construction industry has only become professionalized in the past 20 or 30 years (there are not that many people with my college degree), (2) the degree is in very high demand because of this professionalization, (3) the degree is very portable (there are construction projects going on all over the world-- I have been to Singapore and Norway just to name a few places). I am about to create a post for people on this website on how you can make six figures without a law degree. At one point, I was close to $80K in savings when my stocks were doing very well. I graduated in December 2008 right when the stock market had just bottomed. Life has been pretty good since then.

And how does this match at all with your earlier posts? Stop being a douche and asking for so much aid if life is so good.

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:07 pm

Bizzybone is the next ChickenSoup. You heard it here first, folks

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:09 pm

WhiteyCakes wrote:

EDIT: I just re-read your earlier posts. You lose all credibility with your "grew up in a trailer park so I have great need" story when you admit that you're swimming in cash.

I did grow up in a trailer. I remind myself of that when I lose motivation to study for the LSAT. My parents do live in an actual house now that they have been buying little by little from my oldest brother. My personal statement isn't suppose to be a "sob story" and it isn't going to be. Its going to be about the value and importance of education.

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:11 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:
elterrible78 wrote:
elterrible78 wrote:

So, you go ahead and write about getting that cup of coffee for the Goldman Sachs partner, and I will write about my immigrant story.

Never worked at Goldman Sachs, come from a poor family, was clear about this. If you think there aren't "working class" people who have college educations in this day and age, you are further gone than I had originally imagined. Like I said, if you haven't actually accomplished anything worth writing about, by all means, write about how your parents were immigrants. It's certainly better than nothing. As your story (as opposed to theirs), it's not nearly as compelling as you think it is, and definitely nowhere near compelling enough to make HYS adcomms "soil themselves."

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:13 pm

Samara wrote:Sounds like you got it all figured out. Why are you posting here? You should be running Congress or something. Your amazing backstory combined with this blinding intelligence would make you a lock.

I will be running for Congress, and that backstory will be of immense help. But I need a law degree first. My story mirrors almost to the tee the one from Senator Rubio. But unlike him, I won't be a person who believes I made it all on my own. I won't be a Republican who pats themselves on the back for having taken advantage of all the opportunities we are afforded in this great country.

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:14 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:
Samara wrote:Sounds like you got it all figured out. Why are you posting here? You should be running Congress or something. Your amazing backstory combined with this blinding intelligence would make you a lock.

I will be running for Congress, and that backstory will be of immense help. But I need a law degree first. My story mirrors almost to the tee the one from Senator Rubio. But unlike him, I won't be a person who believes I made it all on my own. I won't be a Republican who pats themselves on the back for having taken advantage of all the opportunities we are afforded in this great country.

What you will be, however, is an insufferable jackass

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:16 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:

LOLOLOLOL

Protip: A law degree is unrelated to running for office and a far cry from necessary. But I suppose you already knew that.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:17 pm

WhiteyCakes wrote:Bizzybone is the next ChickenSoup. You heard it here first, folks

Ya'll are pretty tough on ChickenSoup. I won't be posting frequently. I just had to create a few threads to gather the information I need to make a wise, informed decision.

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:17 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:
WhiteyCakes wrote:Bizzybone is the next ChickenSoup. You heard it here first, folks

Ya'll are pretty tough on ChickenSoup. I won't be posting frequently. I just had to create a few threads to gather the information I need to make a wise, informed decision.

You have yet to do the bolded.

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:18 pm

Samara wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:

LOLOLOLOL

Protip: A law degree is unrelated to running for office and a far cry from necessary. But I suppose you already knew that.

Plus he likes to argue...can't forget that gem

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:19 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:

You aren't making decisions, you're just masturbating all over this site.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:19 pm

WhiteyCakes wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:
WhiteyCakes wrote:

And how does this match at all with your earlier posts? Stop being a douche and asking for so much aid if life is so good.

I am going to disclose all of my savings in the financial aid documents and let the school decide how much money they want to give me. That is completely up to them. No one turns down free money.

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:20 pm

WhiteyCakes wrote:
Samara wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:

LOLOLOLOL

Plus he likes to argue...can't forget that gem

Politicians love arguing. That's why we have so many debates.

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:22 pm

Samara wrote: Politicians love arguing. That's why we have so many debates.

Well given how much bizzybone loves to jerk himself off on TLS, he'd probably blow someone for the chance to do it in a debate

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:27 pm

Samara wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:

I have seen a lot more useless threads on this website than the ones I have created. What was I suppose to create? One of those "what are my chances threads" or "should I attend American University at $70K a year"?

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:30 pm

You always have the option of not creating a thread...

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:31 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:
Samara wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:

I have seen a lot more useless threads on this website than the ones I have created. What was I suppose to create? One of those "what are my chances threads" or "should I attend American University at $70K a year"?

Both of those examples are less dumb than this. Also, the existence of other dumb threads doesn't make it worthwhile for you to also create dumb threads.

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:32 pm

Y'all really like feeding the troll, eh?

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:34 pm

nickb285 wrote:You always have the option of not creating a thread...

I am at that point. I got my questions answered for now. I didn't create my three threads to annoy people or to be a "troll". It was because I don't wish to attend a conservative law school; I do not want a non-portable T-14 law degree; and I wanted to know who were the stingiest law schools, which by the way the poll states that those are UC Berkeley and Georgetown.

The Duck

Postby The Duck » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:04 pm

Oh where to start. Even sharing a house, you'll be lucky to pay around $700-800 a month in rent to live downtown. I come in a little lower than that but need a car so it evens out. And, leases run 12 months and getting a summer subletter is tough. Then throw in utilities, etc. (I pay $200/month in gas/electric just to heat 1,200 sq ft because rates are ridiculous here.) Our cost of attendance is like $70K a year and if anything its on the low side and doesn't count the summer at all. My 1L summer, I made nothing but still had to pay rent those months, etc.

Now take your summer 2L SA (if you get one), thats $30K minus taxes and subletting a place in NY/DC wherever. So your looking at most $5-9K left over. (I paid $1,600/month for a studio in DC, plus higher cost of living while there, plus had to carry my rent in Ann Arbor.) Many people end up with less than this once they factor in needing to buy more suits, etc.

If you have $60K in savings, and a $60K scholarship (which is way higher than most people have) then you could come in under $100K in loans. But most people don't have $60K in savings. Nor is that counting barbri or living from May until whenever you start (Oct at the earliest). And that's best case...if you get a 2L SA and have a job when you graduate.

And if you have $60K in savings, or made that kind of money pre-law school, you won't qualify for need-based aid. Also, your I'm a poor immigrant story loses any force it had.

Puffin

Postby Puffin » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:34 pm

hibiki wrote:Y'all really like feeding the troll, eh?

Certainly can be entertaining.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”