Stingiest T-14 Law School

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which T-14 Law Schools are the Stingiest?

University of Chicago
8%
NYU
9%
UC Berkeley
19%
University of Pennsylvania
4%
University of Virginia
11%
University of Michigan
6%
Duke University
6%
Northwestern University
4%
Georgetown University
24%
Cornell University
9%

Total votes: 144

bizzybone1313

Re: Stingiest T-14 Law School

Postby bizzybone1313 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:04 pm

guinness1547 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:That's not what makes me special. What makes me special is that I am the son of immigrant parents who grew up in the middle of nowhere in Mexico. My parents grew up without any running water and electricity, and all three of their sons became college graduates. That, my friend, is the introduction of a killer personal statement (you know, the one that will get me admitted at YHS).

That would be a great personal statement if it was your dad who was applying. My dad had a shitty upbringing too but I didn't try to pretend that his childhood was something I had to overcome. Be careful not to go down that path.

If it can work for a presidential candidate it can work for a law school applicant!

The thing about it its not just a story. Its my real life just like President Obama. One day, you may hear the story in its entirety in about 20 years. Remember that.

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:14 pm

rad lulz wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:What the guy said above. And you REALLY need to stop grouping Columbia with HYS. They aren't close.

I have explained this a thousand times-- the poll only allows 10 items. What was I suppose to do? Add HYSC and leave off Georgetown, Cornell, Northwestern and Duke.

You should give yourself a lobotomy with a power drill.

+1

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:24 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:
guinness1547 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:That's not what makes me special. What makes me special is that I am the son of immigrant parents who grew up in the middle of nowhere in Mexico. My parents grew up without any running water and electricity, and all three of their sons became college graduates. That, my friend, is the introduction of a killer personal statement (you know, the one that will get me admitted at YHS).

That would be a great personal statement if it was your dad who was applying. My dad had a shitty upbringing too but I didn't try to pretend that his childhood was something I had to overcome. Be careful not to go down that path.

If it can work for a presidential candidate it can work for a law school applicant!

The thing about it its not just a story. Its my real life just like President Obama. One day, you may hear the story in its entirety in about 20 years. Remember that.

I grew up dirt poor, with an alcoholic, abusive father who was the way he was because his parents lost their two oldest sons to polio in the 50s and took it out on him, kicking him out of the house when he was 12 and fucking him up for life. I have never been able to rely on anyone in my family for a nickel since I was about 14 years old. Because I am not a whore and don't need anyone's sympathy, I left this whole fucking sob story out of my personal statement (which, apparently, had the added bonus of not making adcomms soil themselves) and am relying on my numbers and my own accomplishments to get me into school.

Jesus christ, some of the posters on this site need a reality check.

guinness1547

Postby guinness1547 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:33 pm

elterrible78 wrote:
I grew up dirt poor, with an alcoholic, abusive father who was the way he was because his parents lost their two oldest sons to polio in the 50s and took it out on him, kicking him out of the house when he was 12 and fucking him up for life. I have never been able to rely on anyone in my family for a nickel since I was about 14 years old. Because I am not a whore and don't need anyone's sympathy, I left this whole fucking sob story out of my personal statement (which, apparently, had the added bonus of not making adcomms soil themselves) and am relying on my numbers and my own accomplishments to get me into school.

I'd wish you luck, but with your numbers I don't think I need to.

EdBurke

Postby EdBurke » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:51 pm

elterrible78 wrote:I grew up dirt poor, with an alcoholic, abusive father who was the way he was because his parents lost their two oldest sons to polio in the 50s and took it out on him, kicking him out of the house when he was 12 and fucking him up for life. I have never been able to rely on anyone in my family for a nickel since I was about 14 years old. Because I am not a whore and don't need anyone's sympathy, I left this whole fucking sob story out of my personal statement (which, apparently, had the added bonus of not making adcomms soil themselves) and am relying on my numbers and my own accomplishments to get me into school.

+1

dip_spLitter

Postby dip_spLitter » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:12 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:
guinness1547 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

"I want to practice civil rights, immigration or plantiff side employment law. My undergrad degree and WE makes me a shoe in for energy law though. If I cannot get civil rights, immigration or employment law, I will settle for an energy law gig. Colorado is very important for my future career ambitions. I cannot do it in Texas."

I sure hope I don't hear, see, or read your story in 20 years. If I do you can bet that it's a slow news day.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:33 pm

The thing about it its not just a story. Its my real life just like President Obama. One day, you may hear the story in its entirety in about 20 years. Remember that.[/quote]

Jesus christ, some of the posters on this site need a reality check.[/quote]

You are only hurting yourself. What is someone suppose to write about in their personal statement......the way it was a character building exercise when the partner at Goldman Sachs made me go get him a cup of coffee during my summer internship? I mean, come on....I was dealt a beautiful set of cards for a personal statement and that is what I am going to write about. Its not a sob story by the way; its called a personal statement for a reason-- the key word being personal. You missed the whole point: Growing up working class in America and ending up at an elite law school is an accomplishment in itself. Social mobility in this country is at almost its lowest points in decades. That might not mean much to you, but I find that really sad. That's not what this great country is suppose to be about. We have law schools that think it is perfectly acceptable to charge tuition that is the equilvalent of an entire family's median income for a year. They see nothing wrong with jacking up the tuition year after year.

dip_spLitter

Postby dip_spLitter » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:37 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:The thing about it its not just a story. Its my real life just like President Obama. One day, you may hear the story in its entirety in about 20 years. Remember that.

Jesus christ, some of the posters on this site need a reality check.[/quote]

You are only hurting yourself. What is someone suppose to write about in their personal statement......the way it was a character building exercise when the partner at Goldman Sachs made me go get him a cup of coffee during my summer internship? I mean, come on....I was dealt a beautiful set of cards for a personal statement and that is what I am going to write about. Its not a sob story by the way; its called a personal statement for a reason-- the key word being personal. You missed the whole point: Growing up working class in America and ending up at an elite law school is an accomplishment in itself. Social mobility in this country is at almost its lowest points in decades. That might not mean much to you, but I find that really sad. That's not what this great country is suppose to be about. We have law schools that think it is perfectly acceptable to charge tuition that is the equilvalent of an entire family's median income for a year. They see nothing wrong with jacking up the tuition year after year.[/quote]

First of all, what the hell are you talking about?

2. This isn't a thread about your personal statement.

3. Please stop posting.

florida1949

Postby florida1949 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:41 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:The thing about it its not just a story. Its my real life just like President Obama. One day, you may hear the story in its entirety in about 20 years. Remember that.

You are only hurting yourself. What is someone suppose to write about in their personal statement......the way it was a character building exercise when the partner at Goldman Sachs made me go get him a cup of coffee during my summer internship? I mean, come on....I was dealt a beautiful set of cards for a personal statement and that is what I am going to write about. Its not a sob story by the way; its called a personal statement for a reason-- the key word being personal. You missed the whole point: Growing up working class in America and ending up at an elite law school is an accomplishment in itself. Social mobility in this country is at almost its lowest points in decades. That might not mean much to you, but I find that really sad. That's not what this great country is suppose supposed to be about. We have law schools that think it is perfectly acceptable to charge tuition that is the equilvalent of an entire family's median income for a year. They see nothing wrong with jacking up the tuition year after year.

fyp, bro. hope your ps doesn't include shit like this.

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:00 am

elterrible78 wrote:I grew up dirt poor, with an alcoholic, abusive father who was the way he was because his parents lost their two oldest sons to polio in the 50s and took it out on him, kicking him out of the house when he was 12 and fucking him up for life. I have never been able to rely on anyone in my family for a nickel since I was about 14 years old. Because I am not a whore and don't need anyone's sympathy, I left this whole fucking sob story out of my personal statement (which, apparently, had the added bonus of not making adcomms soil themselves) and am relying on my numbers and my own accomplishments to get me into school.

You are only hurting yourself. What is someone suppose to write about in their personal statement......the way it was a character building exercise when the partner at Goldman Sachs made me go get him a cup of coffee during my summer internship? I mean, come on....I was dealt a beautiful set of cards for a personal statement and that is what I am going to write about. Its not a sob story by the way; its called a personal statement for a reason-- the key word being personal. You missed the whole point: Growing up working class in America and ending up at an elite law school is an accomplishment in itself. Social mobility in this country is at almost its lowest points in decades. That might not mean much to you, but I find that really sad. That's not what this great country is suppose to be about. We have law schools that think it is perfectly acceptable to charge tuition that is the equilvalent of an entire family's median income for a year. They see nothing wrong with jacking up the tuition year after year.

Actually, I doubt I'll hurt myself at all by not trying to tug on the heartstrings of adcomms by giving them a stock "how I overcame my poor upbringing" PS. I've got plenty enough material to give them a look at who I am, what I've done, and what I'm capable of without resorting to that, and none of it involves anybody handing me jack shit. If the best you can do is "My parents have a fantastic story", then that's the best that you can do, I suppose. I would hazard a guess, however, that your story is not going to come across as that unique (I'd say they get somewhere between several and many similar - if not identical - personal statements every cycle), and certainly isn't going to be enough to overcome sub-par numbers.

You've also jumped to a pretty unwarranted conclusion regarding "most" of the posters on TLS, stating that they primarily come from privileged backgrounds. I have no idea what you're basing this on, and I suspect that you don't either.

In general, I'd suggest that you tone it down a little, and lose your "special snowflake" attitude. So far in this thread, all we've gotten from you is the fact that you feel like you were dealt a shit hand in life and you're going to take advantage of it, and somehow writing about that shit hand you were dealt is going to get you into Harvard, Yale, or Stanford. I have no idea what your LSAT or GPA is, and you certainly haven't given us any idea of what kind of accomplishments you (and by "you" I mean you) have made.

I'll just cut out of here with this thought: while most people associate the word "entitlement" with those same spoiled-little-rich-kid stereotypes that you seem to hold so dear, feeling that the world owes you something because of what you've been through is an equally valid example of that kind of bullshit. While I can't say for sure that you honestly feel this sense of entitlement, you sure as hell come across as if you do.

FattyMcFatFat

Postby FattyMcFatFat » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:49 am

indigomachine

Postby indigomachine » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:07 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:That's not what makes me special. What makes me special is that I am the son of immigrant parents who grew up in the middle of nowhere in Mexico. My parents grew up without any running water and electricity, and all three of their sons became college graduates. That, my friend, is the introduction of a killer personal statement (you know, the one that will get me admitted at YHS). an asian chicken salad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnnvRjwSCPo

Also, 153.

izha

Postby izha » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:31 am

WanderingPondering

Postby WanderingPondering » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:57 pm

OP is an aspie and doesn't communicate or get along well with others. Sure to be a great lawyer.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:46 am

elterrible78 wrote:

Actually, I doubt I'll hurt myself at all by not trying to tug on the heartstrings of adcomms by giving them a stock "how I overcame my poor upbringing" PS. I've got plenty enough material to give them a look at who I am, what I've done, and what I'm capable of without resorting to that, and none of it involves anybody handing me jack shit. If the best you can do is "My parents have a fantastic story", then that's the best that you can do, I suppose. I would hazard a guess, however, that your story is not going to come across as that unique (I'd say they get somewhere between several and many similar - if not identical - personal statements every cycle), and certainly isn't going to be enough to overcome sub-par numbers.

You've also jumped to a pretty unwarranted conclusion regarding "most" of the posters on TLS, stating that they primarily come from privileged backgrounds. I have no idea what you're basing this on, and I suspect that you don't either.

In general, I'd suggest that you tone it down a little, and lose your "special snowflake" attitude. So far in this thread, all we've gotten from you is the fact that you feel like you were dealt a shit hand in life and you're going to take advantage of it, and somehow writing about that shit hand you were dealt is going to get you into Harvard, Yale, or Stanford. I have no idea what your LSAT or GPA is, and you certainly haven't given us any idea of what kind of accomplishments you (and by "you" I mean you) have made.

I'll just cut out of here with this thought: while most people associate the word "entitlement" with those same spoiled-little-rich-kid stereotypes that you seem to hold so dear, feeling that the world owes you something because of what you've been through is an equally valid example of that kind of bullshit. While I can't say for sure that you honestly feel this sense of entitlement, you sure as hell come across as if you do.

I know exactly what I am talking about. Most people at the T-14 do come from privilege. Its you that is clueless. I am not entitled to a spot at YHS or at any T-14, but I know I have a good shot at those schools. Below is a profile of Michigan Law's entering class.

Class Statistics

Class of 2015* Class of 2014 Class of 2013

Applied 5060 5422 6312
Enrolled 344 359 376
Percent admitted 24.5% 21.4% 18.6%
GPA
Median 3.73 3.76 3.73
75% 3.83 3.87 3.85
25% 3.58 3.59 3.57
LSAT
Median 169 169 169
75% 170 170 171
25% 166 167 168
Class composition
Male 58% 52% 51%
Female 42% 48% 49%
Minority (includes Asian American, African American, Hispanic/Latino, and Native American) 27% 24% 21%
Ethnicity not identified 13% 13% 11%
Multiethnic
(included in "minority" category) 8% 8% 6%
Students with at least one parent with no degree beyond high school 29% 28% 31%
One parent has no degree beyond high school
17% 15% 18%
Neither parent has degree beyond high school
12% 13% 13%

The bolded is the most important information. Why is that information so prominently featured on Michigan Law's website? My parents did not even go pass junior high, so I do not even meet the criteria for the "neither parent has degree beyond high school" category. Those 12% of students at Michigan Law whose parents did not get beyond high school are special snowflakes. They most likely grew up working class and when they graduate from Michigan Law they are going to be upper class. Do you really think that is common in America or almost any other country? Why do you think Justice Sotomayor's personal story was pasted on every newspaper throughout the entire country when she was nominated to the Supreme Court? She went from the projects of NYC to Princeton to Yale Law. Its you who doesn't know what they are talking about.

So, you go ahead and write about getting that cup of coffee for the Goldman Sachs partner, and I will write about my immigrant story.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:49 am

WanderingPondering wrote:OP is an aspie and doesn't communicate or get along well with others. Sure to be a great lawyer.

I get along with people who do not post their obnoxious, useless comments on my thread on a subject that is very important to me. I learned something very valuable from my poll. Information that would have taken me a lot longer to dig up.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:54 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:
WanderingPondering wrote:OP is an aspie and doesn't communicate or get along well with others. Sure to be a great lawyer.

I get along with people who do not post their obnoxious, useless comments on my thread on a subject that is very important to me. I learned something very valuable from my poll. Information that would have taken me a lot longer to dig up.

You learned literally NOTHING. The poll results have almost no relationship with what your scholly outcome will be. You're just playing with yourself. Go take the LSAT, apply to all of the T14s schools, negotiate for better deals.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:00 am

:)
Last edited by bizzybone1313 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Duck

Postby The Duck » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:15 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:Those 12% of students at Michigan Law whose parents did not get beyond high school are special snowflakes. They most likely grew up working class and when they graduate from Michigan Law they are going to be upper class. Do you really think that is common in America or almost any other country? Why do you think Justice Sotomayor's personal story was pasted on every newspaper throughout the entire country when she was nominated to the Supreme Court? She went from the projects of NYC to Princeton to Yale Law. Its you who doesn't know what they are talking about.

No they aren't. Without a scholarship they are going to be wildly in debt and will be lucky to be middle class. Even with a scholarship, many of them intend to return to public interest work and will still be lucky to be middle class. (I go to Michigan and know many of them.)

Also, from the anecdotal evidence I know, their parent's education background has little relation to their scholarships. And. most of them have high GPAs and scored well on the LSAT...probably because their situations taught them to work hard.

While we value diversity at Michigan, that helps get you in the door. (And I can assure you many of those people were accepted based upon some other characteristic.) Our scholarships on the other hand are very formulaic and based mainly on LSAT/GPA with some overrides for leadership (primarily veterans and other special circumstances).

The % you're seeing there is largely an artifact of the percentage of the US population in that generation with college degrees or without high school diplomas, Michigan's tendency to let in people with a public interest background (which disproportionally fall within those categories), etc. I'm also not sure its corrected for international students whose parents couldn't have graduated from a US high school. Correlation ≠ causation.

So, once again...this poll tells you absolutely nothing of value.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:24 am

The Duck wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:Those 12% of students at Michigan Law whose parents did not get beyond high school are special snowflakes. They most likely grew up working class and when they graduate from Michigan Law they are going to be upper class. Do you really think that is common in America or almost any other country? Why do you think Justice Sotomayor's personal story was pasted on every newspaper throughout the entire country when she was nominated to the Supreme Court? She went from the projects of NYC to Princeton to Yale Law. Its you who doesn't know what they are talking about.

No they aren't. Without a scholarship they are going to be wildly in debt and will be lucky to be middle class. Even with a scholarship, many of them intend to return to public interest work and will still be lucky to be middle class. (I go to Michigan and know many of them.)

Also, from the anecdotal evidence I know, their parent's education background has little relation to their scholarships. And. most of them have high GPAs and scored well on the LSAT...probably because their situations taught them to work hard.

While we value diversity at Michigan, that helps get you in the door. (And I can assure you most of those people were accepted based upon some other characteristic.) Our scholarships on the other hand are very formulaic and based mainly on LSAT/GPA with some overrides for leadership (primarily veterans and other special circumstances).

So, once again...this poll tells you absolutely nothing of value.

I never argued someone deserves a scholarship for having grown up working class or having parents with only a high school education (although some funds are awarded in part on need). The reason so many people struggle with servicing $100K in loans is because they spend too much money. If someone gets a 60K scholarship to Michigan, they could very realistically graduate with under $100K in loans assuming they have a little bit in savings. This requires some sacrifices though. No $2,000 one bedroom apartments in Ann Arbor. Live with a roommate or two and split the rent.

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:25 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:I never argued someone deserves a scholarship for having grown up working class or having parents with only a high school education (although some funds are awarded in part on need). The reason so many people struggle with servicing $100K in loans is because they spend too much money. If someone gets a 60K scholarship to Michigan, they could very realistically graduate with under $100K in loans assuming they have a little bit in savings. This requires some sacrifices though. No $2,000 one bedroom apartments in Ann Arbor. Live with a roommate or two and split the rent.

lol, just lol

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:34 am

Samara wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:I never argued someone deserves a scholarship for having grown up working class or having parents with only a high school education (although some funds are awarded in part on need). The reason so many people struggle with servicing $100K in loans is because they spend too much money. If someone gets a 60K scholarship to Michigan, they could very realistically graduate with under $100K in loans assuming they have a little bit in savings. This requires some sacrifices though. No $2,000 one bedroom apartments in Ann Arbor. Live with a roommate or two and split the rent.

lol, just lol

I was being serious. Get a house, gather two or three of your buddies, and pay $300 in rent a month. On Fridays and Saturdays, throw huge parties, invite some undergraduate hunnies over and profit. How are the undergraduate hunnies at Michigan? I bet Michigan has some real talent in that area.

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:44 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:
Samara wrote:

lol, just lol

I was being serious. Get a house, gather two or three of your buddies, and pay $300 in rent a month. On Fridays and Saturdays, throw huge parties, invite some undergraduate hunnies over and profit. How are the undergraduate hunnies at Michigan? I bet Michigan has some real talent in that area.

I don't go to Michigan, but I am certain that exactly no one pays anything close to $2000/month. But let's say you pay $300/month in rent. Tuition, after scholarship, is $30k/year, plus fees and interest, oops, we're already at $100k. But let's ignore that for a moment and say $10k for three years of living. $300/month for three years is $10,800. Oops, went over $100k again. And I don't get to eat or anything else like that.

You seem dumb.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:49 am

Samara wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:
Samara wrote:

lol, just lol

I don't go to Michigan, but I am certain that exactly no one pays anything close to $2000/month. But let's say you pay $300/month in rent. Tuition, after scholarship, is $30k/year, plus fees and interest, oops, we're already at $100k. But let's ignore that for a moment and say $10k for three years of living. $300/month for three years is $10,800. Oops, went over $100k again. And I don't get to eat or anything else like that.

You seem dumb.

What about savings? I don't know about you, but I have about $60K in savings (living in those $500 a month apartments before law school). What about the SA during 2L summer? A lot of Michigan students get those. That's another $20K. The point was too many people live beyond their means.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”