Stingiest T-14 Law School

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which T-14 Law Schools are the Stingiest?

University of Chicago
8%
NYU
9%
UC Berkeley
19%
University of Pennsylvania
4%
University of Virginia
11%
University of Michigan
6%
Duke University
6%
Northwestern University
4%
Georgetown University
24%
Cornell University
9%

Total votes: 144

bizzybone1313

Stingiest T-14 Law School

Postby bizzybone1313 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:38 pm

For most people, the cost of attendance is a very important factor in ultimately deciding where one enrolls. So, based on past cycles and other knowledge you may have, which T-14 law schools are the stingiest with merit/need financial aid? Because the poll only allows 10 items, I left YHSC off, because most people would attend if admitted. It is easy to just say-- apply over the place and see what happens-- but for some people this isn't possible.

The Duck

Re: Stingiest T-14 Law School

Postby The Duck » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:45 pm

How many of these threads are you going to make? Jesus...you don't need a list ranking every school on every possible issue.

Also, the data would be pretty irrelevant as schools are going to be more/less generous at different LSAT/GPA levels. Not to mention one school may be generous with merit aid but no need, etc.
Last edited by The Duck on Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:46 pm

Even a cursory glance would tell you that you're only really looking at merit based aid and (as it is merit based) it depends on the applicant and not the school.

Quit making threads.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:55 pm

What the guy said above. And you REALLY need to stop grouping Columbia with HYS. They aren't close.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:56 pm

hibiki wrote:Even a cursory glance would tell you that you're only really looking at merit based aid and (as it is merit based) it depends on the applicant and not the school.

Quit making threads.

I grew up working class in a trailer. Cost is a very important factor for me. I do not come from privilege like most people that attend T-14 law schools. I do not have parents or siblings or uncles or aunts that can bail me out if something goes wrong in my career. I am certain this thread will be useful to applicants in the future. If you do not have anything useful to add to the subject, why even post? Attending law school is a huge financial risk. This poll's results will be very useful to me. I know schools vary their aid depending in large part on the LSAT/GPA combo, but that doesn't mean some schools aren't known to be more stingy than others.

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:58 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:
hibiki wrote:Even a cursory glance would tell you that you're only really looking at merit based aid and (as it is merit based) it depends on the applicant and not the school.

Quit making threads.

I grew up working class in a trailer. Cost is a very important factor for me. I do not come from privilege like most people that attend T-14 law schools. I do not have parents or siblings or uncles or aunts that can bail me out if something goes wrong in my career. I am certain this thread will be useful to applicants in the future. If you do not have anything useful to add to the subject, why even post? Attending law school is a huge financial risk. This poll's results will be very useful to me. I know schools vary their aid depending in large part on the LSAT/GPA combo, but that doesn't mean some schools aren't known to be more stingy than others.

That's not the point. The point is that you should apply broadly, see what offers you get and pick the combination of cost, placement and other factors that fits the best for you. Scholarship offers are fairly unpredictable so it's dumb to try to rank schools like this.

The Duck

Postby The Duck » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:58 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:

Quit making threads.

It won't be useful to others because the circumstances will drive the result. Post your #s and we'll tell you what schools are your best choice. But you still need to apply...I know people with the same #s at the same school...and one has nearly a full ride and the other got $5K. No school is universally generous or not. Some give vets a little more than their numbers suggest. Others seem to value leadership, etc. Primarily, however....its all about your LSAT/GPA.

Also, your not at all factoring in when you applied. That is hugely important as money runs out.
Last edited by The Duck on Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:59 pm

BruceWayne wrote:What the guy said above. And you REALLY need to stop grouping Columbia with HYS. They aren't close.

I have explained this a thousand times-- the poll only allows 10 items. What was I suppose to do? Add HYSC and leave off Georgetown, Cornell, Northwestern and Duke.

Samara

Postby Samara » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:15 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:What the guy said above. And you REALLY need to stop grouping Columbia with HYS. They aren't close.

I have explained this a thousand times-- the poll only allows 10 items. What was I suppose to do? Add HYSC and leave off Georgetown, Cornell, Northwestern and Duke. Stop making these dumb polls?

Yes.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:52 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:

I have explained this a thousand times-- the poll only allows 10 items. What was I suppose to do? Add HYSC and leave off Georgetown, Cornell, Northwestern and Duke.

You should give yourself a lobotomy with a power drill.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:07 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:

Quit making threads.

What a shitty troll.

Cerebro

Postby Cerebro » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:14 am

Take the money you're planning to spend on law school and buy a double wide instead. When you end up unemployed, at least you'll still have a place to live.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:14 am

paratactical wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:

Quit making threads.

What a shitty troll.

What in this post makes me a troll. When I receive my acceptances from law schools, I will post a picture of my admittance letter from the school I ultimately attend. How about that?

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:20 am

Cerebro wrote:Take the money you're planning to spend on law school and buy a double wide instead. When you end up unemployed, at least you'll still have a place to live.

That's classy. Real, real classy. I really did grow up in a double wide trailer. Actually- the first trailer was single and the second one was double wide. When ADCOMS read my personal statement, they are going to cream on themselves. My story amounts to really being a special snowflake. Yale isn't out of the question. I won't be unemployed after graduating from one of the most elite schools this world has to offer. I can assure you of that. Like I told the other posters, if you do not have something useful to add, why post at all? Not all law students come from privilege like most of you do. The results of this poll in this thread really do matter to a lot of people. Some of you have too much time on your hands.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:21 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:
Cerebro wrote:Take the money you're planning to spend on law school and buy a double wide instead. When you end up unemployed, at least you'll still have a place to live.

That's classy. Real, real classy. I really did grow up in a double wide trailer. Actually- the first trailer was single and the second one was double wide. When ADCOMS read my personal statement, they are going to cream on themselves. My story amounts to really being a special snowflake. Yale isn't out of the question. I won't be unemployed after graduating from one of the most elite schools this world has to offer. I can assure you of that. Like I told the other posters, if you do not have something useful to add, why post at all? Not all law students come from privilege like most of you do. The results of this poll in this thread really do matter to a lot of people. Some of you have too much time on your hands.

Even if you're not lying, you're not the only person to go from the trailer park to the courtroom and it's ignorant and selfish to think that making this transition makes you special.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:26 am

paratactical wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:

Even if you're not lying, you're not the only person to go from the trailer park to the courtroom and it's ignorant and selfish to think that making this transition makes you special.

That's not what makes me special. What makes me special is that I am the son of immigrant parents who grew up in the middle of nowhere in Mexico. My parents grew up without any running water and electricity, and all three of their sons became college graduates. That, my friend, is the introduction of a killer personal statement (you know, the one that will get me admitted at YHS).

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:13 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:
paratactical wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:

That's not what makes me special. What makes me special is that I am the son of immigrant parents who grew up in the middle of nowhere in Mexico. My parents grew up without any running water and electricity, and all three of their sons became college graduates. That, my friend, is the introduction of a killer personal statement (you know, the one that will get me admitted at YHS).

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:19 am

I printed out this thread and tomorrow I am sending it to Justice Roberts. Kiss AA goodbye.

BarcaCrossesTheAlps

Postby BarcaCrossesTheAlps » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:37 am

...I just wanted to write that this thread is full of some of the greatest avatars I have ever seen. Kudos, TLSers...

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:47 am

Who did you piss off enough to create this elaborate flame designed to get under your skin?

jkpolk

Postby jkpolk » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:55 am

go where the BOOBS are

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:47 am

polkij333 wrote:go where the BOOBS are

ASU all the way.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:05 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:That's not what makes me special. What makes me special is that I am the son of immigrant parents who grew up in the middle of nowhere in Mexico. My parents grew up without any running water and electricity, and all three of their sons became college graduates. That, my friend, is the introduction of a killer personal statement (you know, the one that will get me admitted at YHS).

That would be a great personal statement if it was your dad who was applying. My dad had a shitty upbringing too but I didn't try to pretend that his childhood was something I had to overcome. Be careful not to go down that path.

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:31 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:
paratactical wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:

Your immigrant parents should apply to law school. They have a killer story.

guinness1547

Postby guinness1547 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:40 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:That's not what makes me special. What makes me special is that I am the son of immigrant parents who grew up in the middle of nowhere in Mexico. My parents grew up without any running water and electricity, and all three of their sons became college graduates. That, my friend, is the introduction of a killer personal statement (you know, the one that will get me admitted at YHS).

That would be a great personal statement if it was your dad who was applying. My dad had a shitty upbringing too but I didn't try to pretend that his childhood was something I had to overcome. Be careful not to go down that path.

If it can work for a presidential candidate it can work for a law school applicant!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”