Duke Ed Question Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
grassynome

New

Duke Ed Question

Post by grassynome » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:37 am

Hello,
I am debating applying to Duke under the ED option. I saw on their website that they will offer a $15,000 Early Decision Grant with an acceptance. I am curious as to if this is renewable from year to year, or a one time grant?
Thanks!

twenty

Gold

Re: Duke Ed Question

Post by twenty » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:50 am

It looks like a one-time deal. Still, that's enough to choose to ED at Duke over ED UVA. Interesting.

grassynome

New

Post by grassynome » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:17 pm

Yeah, I am debating Eding to duke (my LSAT scores are low cause I have been traditionally bad at standardized tests), but why would you go choose EDing to duke over Virginia?

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:21 pm

grassynome wrote:Yeah, I am debating Eding to duke (my LSAT scores are low cause I have been traditionally bad at standardized tests), but why would you go choose EDing to duke over Virginia?
Lower CoA.

grassynome

New

Post by grassynome » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:25 pm

good point plus cost of living would probably be lower as well. Would you say that a Duke law graduate would have a pretty good shot of getting a good job anywhere in the country after? :?:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:23 pm

You would have a pretty good shot at getting a job in New York or any market that you can generate believable ties to. Same applies to most schools above it too.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:26 pm

grassynome wrote:Would you say that a Duke law graduate would have a pretty good shot of getting a good job anywhere in the country after? :?:
Sure, if you have ties.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:16 pm

grassynome wrote:Yeah, I am debating Eding to duke (my LSAT scores are low cause I have been traditionally bad at standardized tests), but why would you go choose EDing to duke over Virginia?
According to LST, the only two areas UVA outplaces Duke is in putting people into public service jobs and in employing their own grads to game the rankings. Duke has a higher percentage of students in big law and federal clerkships. Just because UVA is ranked higher doesn't mean it's better, they are peers. The reason why TLS loves UVA is because there are a lot of splitters here and UVA gives them the best shot at a T14. Both are great schools, if you think you can get in by EDing to either (and you have to ED to get in anywhere) then do your own research and choose which one you personally prefer.

Also, retake.

grassynome

New

Post by grassynome » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:56 pm

Yeah, I met one of the admissions people from Duke the other day, and it really got me interested in applying to there. I definitely think it would be an awesome experience and it would in turn lead me to have not only a job after graduation, but options as well. The debt is the only thing that will be nerve racking if I do end up getting in. I honestly would be stoked if I even got waitlisted, because apparently they do not rank their waitlist, which is a plus for me. :o

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Grazzhoppa

Bronze

Post by Grazzhoppa » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:32 am

how do you guys think Duke will treat ED splitters this year?

grassynome

New

Post by grassynome » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:22 am

Grazzhoppa wrote:how do you guys think Duke will treat ED splitters this year?
i hope well

mr.hands

Silver

Post by mr.hands » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:07 am

grassynome wrote:
Grazzhoppa wrote:how do you guys think Duke will treat ED splitters this year?
i hope well
I have no doubt that they're trying to get back to that 170 wall. So if you have a 170, i think you're in really good shape. Reverse splitters are screwed, probably.

Also, i'm sure the 15k grant is a one time deal. It's a great idea though.

WanderingPondering

Bronze

Post by WanderingPondering » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:29 pm

How quick is the turnaround for ED applicants? One of the great things about UVA, is that they tell you within 2 weeks and you can ED elsewhere if you are waitlisted/rejected

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”