Best D2 law school with football

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Gorki

Re: Best D2 law school with football

Postby Gorki » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:28 pm

tigershark

Postby tigershark » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:50 pm

What makes you think you'd even be able to play footbal and learn any semblance of the law? Football practice and game schedules are demanding, even at D2 schools. You'd literally have no time to successfully do school and football.

And if you're going to say you don't care about doing well because you already have a job lined up, remember you DO need to pass the bar...so unless you want to re-learn law school through a Barbri course, it would be in your best interest to nix the football idea and choose a school that's worth going to for its academics.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:36 pm

tigershark wrote:What makes you think you'd even be able to play footbal and learn any semblance of the law? Football practice and game schedules are demanding, even at D2 schools. You'd literally have no time to successfully do school and football.

And if you're going to say you don't care about doing well because you already have a job lined up, remember you DO need to pass the bar...so unless you want to re-learn law school through a Barbri course, it would be in your best interest to nix the football idea and choose a school that's worth going to for its academics.

Isn't this what top law schools do anyway? One of my teachers basically told me he's not here to teach us how to pass the bar, we should be smart enough to do that on our own.

katjust

Postby katjust » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:48 pm

law school helps to pass the bar. However, there are many people who could just do Barbri and probably pass the bar. Law school in general is a scam.

I.P. Daly

Postby I.P. Daly » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:18 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:You're out of eligibility for all divisions. HTH

http://www.playyourgame.com/ncaa_eligib ... ained.html

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:02 am

Unfortunately, your D1 eligibility will probably expire on you, unless you were part-time for the first couple years of undergrad

If you were part time at least some of your time there, you should still have enough eligibility to play at least some of your career. 10 semester for D2/D3 football. AFAIK, there are no law schools in D2; all are in either D1 or D3. Level of play seems to be very similar, with the top of D2/3 being pro-factories that could play with half of D1 (Mount Union, Grand Valley, etc..), while the bottom of D2/D3 is utter trash football. Technically no athletic scholarships, but I have a buddy who transferred to D3 from Big10, and says they make him pay next to nothing.

Looking through the list of schools, I recognized these guys as having football and Law:
Whittier
University of Chicago
Case Western
Western New England
UMass - Dartmouth
St. Thomas (MN)
Mississippi College
Capital University
Ohio Northern University
Willamette
Lewis and Clark
Widener University
Washington and Lee
Catholic
Ave Maria (NAIA)

Unfortunately, all of these schools range from god awful at football to mediocre. Some of them occasionally make playoffs (ONU, Willamette, Case, etc,) but none of them are really contenders.

Academically, very wide range here from a Top 5 school (U of C) to TTTTs, so hopefully this has been helpful :)

edit, just remembered Washington University St. Louis also has d3 football
Last edited by SaintsTheMetal on Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:10 am

tigershark wrote:What makes you think you'd even be able to play footbal and learn any semblance of the law? Football practice and game schedules are demanding, even at D2 schools. You'd literally have no time to successfully do school and football.

There have actually been a few doods to play CFB during 1L. Some O-lineman at ND and some dood at Michigan (or maybe UVA or both) come to mind.

I.P. Daly

Postby I.P. Daly » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:30 am

A judge in Cleveland played for the Browns and attended law school at night.

basketball law guy

Postby basketball law guy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:28 pm

I really don't have an answer for you and good luck if you are able to accomplish your dream/goal. I'm pretty sure you realize that what you are thinking about will be difficult but not impossible. However, I am completing my 4th year of varsity basketball and I can't wait for it to be over. I was fortunate enough to have offers to play 3 sports in college. I chose basketball because it was my favorite sport (not my best) and it paid for school. I did not realize how difficult it would be to balance academics, basketball, social, etc. Basketball is the hardest, IMHO, because it goes from Sep-March- affecting both semesters. Either way, playing a sport at the varsity level and doing well academically is extremely draining. I could not imagine doing this in law school. Also, undergrad accomodates athletes with primary class times, travel assignments, tutors if needed, etc. I imagine law school offers no accomodations.

hookem7

Postby hookem7 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:27 pm

dr123 wrote:

There have actually been a few doods to play CFB during 1L. Some O-lineman at ND and some dood at Michigan (or maybe UVA or both) come to mind.

I played HS football with the guy from ND, Chris Stewart. Incredibly bright and driven guy. I think ESPN did a special on Gameday about him that year and what his typical day is like and I wouldn't have wished that schedule on anyone.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”