Important information not usually mentioned about NYU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
izy223

Important information not usually mentioned about NYU

Postby izy223 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:15 am

Ok, so I am a 1L at NYU and I admit this may seem like trolling (though i dont really care which school 0L's go to I've already been accepted) so take my advice with a grain of salt.

An important factor often not mentioned when people are choosing what school to go to is work load. Now most of you must be saying this guy is an idiot all the work is the same. BUT THATS JUST NOT TRUE.

At NYU we only have 3 graded classes- 3! That gives on average 8 hours more a week to study for your other classes or go out etc.. In addition our legal writing class is not legal writing its Lawyering.
For those who dont know laweyering is ungraded and it "teaches" you how to be a lawyer. The beauty of this class is that when we do have a writing assignment for the class regular class time is cancelled for about 3 weeks.

I am unsure if any of the other t-14 school have this but the one less class really gives you time to go out, chill, and in general not go crazy.

Now to anticipate the main argument- "but wait if everyone has one less class everyone studies more so the curve is harder." Hogwash (i really wanted to use the word). You can only work so long for each class without the extra work being pointless. That pointless time is the diference between going to a show in NY on a wednesday night - or reading for the 4th graded class.

TheRedMamba

Re: Important information not usually mentioned about NYU

Postby TheRedMamba » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:23 pm

CLS is the same

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:26 pm

Many law schools require 6 graded classes during 1L. All prospective law students really need to know about NYU, in my opinion, is that it's a T-6 law school located in NYC's Greenwich Village with a non-cutthroat environment.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:26 pm

I don't understand why you were worried about coming across as trolling...

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:27 pm

Are CLS and NYU the only T14s with 3 classes? And is UChicago the only T14 with graded LW?

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:30 pm

There's a sticky at the top of this forum about this exact issue, so I don't think it qualifies as underdiscussed. Also, lots of schools have three substantive courses plus an ungraded or pass/fail legal practice course. I would not, however, make this a primary factor in deciding between schools.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:38 pm

Are Penn & Columbia NYU's main competitors for students ?

My point is that NYU's practices are primarily relevant when compared to only a few other law schools as it is unlikely that one accepted to Yale, Stanford or Harvard is going to attend NYU without a very substantial scholarship while those accepted to lower ranked law schools are unlikely to turn down a T-6 unless receiving a full tuition scholarship.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:24 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Are Penn & Columbia NYU's main competitors for students ?

My point is that NYU's practices are primarily relevant when compared to only a few other law schools as it is unlikely that one accepted to Yale, Stanford or Harvard is going to attend NYU without a very substantial scholarship while those accepted to lower ranked law schools are unlikely to turn down a T-6 unless receiving a full tuition scholarship.

Tons of people choose MVPBDNC without a full-tuition scholarship instead of NYU. Not entirely sure what you're getting at.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:30 pm

moonman157 wrote:Are CLS and NYU the only T14s with 3 classes? And is UChicago the only T14 with graded LW?

NU has graded writing class as well.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:33 pm

I thought my post was clear just as it is clear that you disagree with my opinion. Many applicants target the T-6 plus Penn.

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:42 pm

Icculus wrote:
moonman157 wrote:Are CLS and NYU the only T14s with 3 classes? And is UChicago the only T14 with graded LW?

NU has graded writing class as well.

Thanks!

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:44 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:I thought my post was clear just as it is clear that you disagree with my opinion. Many applicants target the T-6 plus Penn.

My point is that you shouldn't express your "opinion" as a fact. The fact is, tons of people choose MVPBDNC even "without a full-tuition scholarship" instead of NYU or other T6 schools. "Unlikely" is a ridiculous descriptor.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:47 pm

The Penn trolling has gotten out of control. A single aberration on the NLJ 250 rankings and suddenly the school is in its own tier. A year ago and Penn was no different than its peer schools. A year more and it'll be the same.

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:49 pm

Bronte wrote:The Penn trolling has gotten out of control. A single aberration on the NLJ 250 rankings and suddenly the school is in its own tier. A year ago and Penn was no different than its peer schools. A year more and it'll be the same.

Same thing happened when Cornell had those crazy numbers two years ago.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:54 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:
Bronte wrote:The Penn trolling has gotten out of control. A single aberration on the NLJ 250 rankings and suddenly the school is in its own tier. A year ago and Penn was no different than its peer schools. A year more and it'll be the same.

Same thing happened when Cornell had those crazy numbers two years ago.

Right, you see it year to year. Usually there's one school in that peer group that everyone trolls against (one year it was Berkeley, this year it's Michigan) and then one that everyone trolls for (one year it was Northwestern, this year it's Penn). In reality, nothing has actually changed at these schools. Penn is no more likely than it ever was to get you a job.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:05 pm

Penn places well in NYC, NYU's primary market.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:27 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Penn places well in NYC, NYU's primary market.

The other schools in Penn's tier "place well in NYC" also.

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:33 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Penn places well in NYC, NYU's primary market.

The other schools in Penn's tier "place well in NYC" also.

If we consider Penn's tier to be MVPB, though, does Penn not place better in (or at least have a much stronger focus on) NYC than Michigan (midwest), UVA (south), or Boalt (West Coast)? And, correct me if I'm wrong, hasn't Penn outplaced NYU in biglaw/clerkships for a few years now?

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:43 pm

Duke has three grades doctrinal classes a semester plus graded LARW that you only receive a grade for after spring semester but is still a year long course. LARW ends in the middle of each semester too.

izy223

Postby izy223 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:51 pm

homestyle28 wrote:I don't understand why you were worried about coming across as trolling...

I dont know because it was a blatant pro NYU post.

Also when i was choosing a law school no one mentioned choosing NYU of CC because of the lighter workload and more chilled atmosphere- glad i got more money to N because i love the lighter workload and more chilled atmosphere

wolf

Postby wolf » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:43 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:Duke has three grades doctrinal classes a semester plus graded LARW that you only receive a grade for after spring semester but is still a year long course. LARW ends in the middle of each semester too.

Same @ Georgetown, but you have an elective second semester in addition to the 3 doctrinal classes.

Postby 2014 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:31 pm

Uh for our fall quarter at UChi we have two graded classes, one of which is Elements of the Law which is described by several people as a bonafide UG course. Our LRW is not graded this quarter. I have more free time than I know what to do with.

(Gonna get destroyed by spring quarter though :( )

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:54 pm

Not sure why you keep pushing the idea that 2011 was some crazy outlier. For anyone interested in the numbers going back to 2005, here you go:

Class of 2011
Class of 2010
Class of 2009
Class of 2008
Class of 2007
Class of 2006
Class of 2005

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:19 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:

Not sure why you keep pushing the idea that 2011 was some crazy outlier. For anyone interested in the numbers going back to 2005, here you go:

Class of 2011
Class of 2010
Class of 2009
Class of 2008
Class of 2007
Class of 2006
Class of 2005

Penn does well on the NLJ survey. But is it enough to say Penn is in another league from other lower T14s? On every one of those except 2006, Penn is either below another lower T14 or within 5 percentage points of another lower T14. Further, Cornell and Northwestern are also often at the top of the chart.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:05 pm

I think a lot of T14s have 3 classes (and many have 3 classes + legal writing).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”