Should I choose Wisconsin? UW 1L input preferred.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which School Should I pick? (assuming acceptance)

Poll ended at Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:35 pm

Texas
47%
Minnesota
6%
Alabama
12%
Indiana-Bloomington
No votes
Iowa
No votes
Boston College
29%
Emory
No votes
George Washington
No votes
North Carolina
No votes
Wisconsin
6%

Total votes: 17

michaelm55

Should I choose Wisconsin? UW 1L input preferred.

Postby michaelm55 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:27 pm

I am above the medians for this school. Is there anything about UW that makes it unique in such a way as to compensate for the fact that I will probably get accepted to higher ranked schools? What sort of case can be made for UW law as an inventment given my potential alternative options?
Last edited by michaelm55 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

annet

Re: Should I choose Wisconsin? UW 1L input preferred.

Postby annet » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:43 pm

michaelm55 wrote:I am above the medians for this school. Is there anything about UW that makes it unique in such a way as to compensate for the fact that I will probably get accepted to higher ranked schools? What sort of cas can be made for UW law as an inventment given my potential alternative options?

Do you want to live and practice in Wisconsin? Do you live in WI and will get in-state tuition?

If no to the first one, then, no do not go to Wisconsin. WI appears to be pretty tight with scholarship money so there's also very little reason to go there if you're going to pay the out-of-state rate.

I've been giving this a lot of thought as there's a good chance I'll go to UW but I'll be doing it as a non-traditional student (out of school for a while) who lives/works/and grew up in WI. I know that I'd like to stay here and am happy to practice anywhere in the state. The diploma privilege is a nice perk. But it's difficult to make a good case for the UW if you want big law, want to live somewhere else, and/or could pay less at comparable school.

[Edit - your GPA is pretty awesome - any chance of a retake to open up most of the T14 for you?]
Last edited by annet on Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

North

Postby North » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:59 pm

You're all over the country with regional schools.

Step 1: Pick region you want to live in.
Step 2: Pick regional school in that region.
Step 3: Limit debt.

goldenflash19

Postby goldenflash19 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:42 pm

Regarding Wisconsin, do you have ties there, what type of law do you want to practice, and (how badly) do you want to work there?

Have you considered a retake with that GPA? It's not the so-called "bad softs" listed in your profile that are limiting you but instead your LSAT score. An improved score would open up a whole new world.

hookem7

Postby hookem7 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:42 pm

If you graduate from Wisconsin, you are automatically accepted to the bar in WI which seems like a cool, unique perk. Also, I think your "bad softs" are hilarious and quite similar to my own.

BuckinghamB

Postby BuckinghamB » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:50 am

I was in a somewhat similar situation last year. I chose not to go to UW. PM me if you have any questions.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:07 pm

You're missing a crucial piece of information without scholarship info here. I don't even really think it's worth speculating without at least taking a gander at what your scholarship offer might be at these schools with your numbers.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com play around and see what you find.

Assuming sticker everywhere, and total indifference to area of practice/living, I voted for U of Alabama. COA is very cheap, and job placement is better than every school on that list other than Texas.

Informative

Postby Informative » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:38 am

If you want to work in Wisconsin, go to UW. Otherwise, I would steer clear.

You should go to a school in the region of the country in which you want to work.
Want to work in NYC, go to Fordham.
Want to work in Boston, go to BC or BU.
Want to work in DC, go to GW.
Etc.

If you want biglaw, use these rankings.
http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 0918083537

locthebloke

Postby locthebloke » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:07 am

Informative wrote:You should go to a school in the region of the country in which you want to work.
Want to work in NYC, go to Fordham.

Terrible advice. You go to Fordham and you won't touch a meaningful job in NYC unless you're a top end of your classer or have connections. As sorry as the legal job market is already, NYC is even more saturated. Try competing with Columbia, NYC, and Cornell grads for halfway decent jobs. Not to mention the likes of jetsetters from the other Ivies, Berkeley and Standford who flock to a desirable place like NYC.

rouser

Postby rouser » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:19 am

North wrote:You're all over the country with regional schools.

Step 1: Pick region you want to live in.
Step 2: Pick regional school in that region.
Step 3: Limit debt.

this but consider your ties to specific regions.

gobuffs10

Postby gobuffs10 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:35 pm

UW 1L here. What specifically do you want to know? I'm out of state, no scholarship money. Why did I choose UW? Well, my GPA severely limited my options. Second, I love the idea of "law in action," and the school has a number of clinical opportunities for credit and/or pay. Third, I used to live in Boulder, and Madison is a lot like Boulder: small but with things to do, pretty, quiet, etc. Finally, the admissions staff and faculty are all wonderful to deal with. Admissions went far out of their way to help me out and answer every single question I came up with, and that really stood out to me.

My other school choices were Syracuse, SLU, Denver, Kansas, and Washburn. Rejections came from Colorado and Wake Forest. I lived in Denver my entire life, and didn't mind leaving. I don't have extraordinary legal connections in Denver, but strong enough to give me a shot at going back. I wouldn't mind staying in Wisconsin either.

I think a big part of your decision has to be where you want to be and what you want to do. It's advice you'll get over and over, but it's true. If you want BigLaw, I'd consider other options. Madison is also pretty saturated with lawyers because the city is small and it's a nice place to live, so a lot of people stay after graduation. You might need to go to Milwaukee, or try to crack Chicago or Minneapolis.

I love the people I go to school with. They're from a variety of backgrounds, and you'll find that most of them can have fun and study hard too. People are willing to offer their help, their notes, ideas, anything you need. The lakes are beautiful, football Saturdays are nuts, and it's just a quality place to live. I really enjoy it here.

There isn't a case I can make for UW over other law schools, because it is truly a case-by-case decision. It's impossible to apply a decision formula to every set of circumstances. For me, the cost of Denver is actually more than Wisconsin out of state, despite the significant rankings difference. Location wasn't a huge concern. What it came down to is the type of experience I wanted and the type of education I'd get. Yeah, UW isn't a T14, or WUSTL, etc. Is it a bad school? Not at all. Will it limit your options? Yes, probably, and that's why I can't be more helpful without knowing what you want to do. That's not to say you can't go BigLaw out of UW; you can, but it's very unlikely. Can you clerk? Yeah, but it's going to be harder to get the big, fancy federal positions. UW will negotiate scholarships, so I'm told by those who have them.

I'm happy with my decision, but I didn't have a lot of other options. If I got in to some of the schools you are considering, the decision wouldn't have been as cut and dry. I truly love UW and Madison, and so I have no regrets, but I might once I graduate. It might be very foolish to go to UW at full price out of state, but I knew that going in and I will live with the consequences of my decision. It might be the best choice I ever made, too. You just can't know, but I think the three major questions are how much debt will you live with, what kind of job do you want, and where do you want to do said job? PM me with any questions you have, or post in here and we can all weigh in. I hope this helped you somewhat, but your poll is too basic. Assuming acceptance doesn't weigh how much money you'll get, where you'll be happy living, and what kind of work you want. Tell me a little bit more about what you'd like to do, and I'll try to tailor the feedback accordingly. Otherwise, if you want to speak with the nicest admissions person ever, give Rebecca Scheller a call. She'd be happy to make the case for UW to you, as she went here and now works here. You can find her on the faculty page.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”