IP Law-Specific Schools

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lawbuddy1

IP Law-Specific Schools

Postby lawbuddy1 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:18 am

I'm curious what folks think about schools specific to IP law? Chicago-Kent, Santa Clara, etc.

Are these types of institutions a good fit for those interested in IP, or is it a better idea to still play the rankings?

lukertin

Re: IP Law-Specific Schools

Postby lukertin » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:32 am

You can't be serious.

Have you looked at the IP law field recently?

hurldes

Postby hurldes » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:07 am

lukertin wrote:You can't be serious.

Have you looked at the IP law field recently?

Not really sure what you mean by this...

OP, it's better to play the rankings. But it depends on where you want to practice. Employers in northern CA will likely respect Santa Clara more than Chicago-Kent, just because they are more familiar with Santa Clara. The opposite is true for Chicago employers, obviously.

androstan

Postby androstan » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:23 am

lawbuddy1 wrote:I'm curious what folks think about schools specific to IP law? Chicago-Kent, Santa Clara, etc.

Are these types of institutions a good fit for those interested in IP, or is it a better idea to still play the rankings?

Go to a T14 and hit median or go to GW with a significant scholarship and hit top third.

Also have at least an UG degree in EE, CS, MechE, or CHE; alternatively have a graduate degree in some kind of chemical/biological area.

I did some combination of these things and it has worked out well so far.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:04 pm

androstan wrote:
lawbuddy1 wrote:I'm curious what folks think about schools specific to IP law? Chicago-Kent, Santa Clara, etc.

Go to a T14 and hit median or go to GW with a significant scholarship and hit top third.

Also have at least an UG degree in EE, CS, MechE, or CHE; alternatively have a graduate degree in some kind of chemical/biological area.

I did some combination of these things and it has worked out well so far.

It seems that T14 with top 2/3 is enough having the right UG/BG, although options may be somewhat limited. Obviously better grades (like median) are better.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”