Texas, Vanderbilt, Emory, and UCLA OK for JD Portability?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Richie Tenenbaum

Re: Texas, Vanderbilt, Emory, and UCLA OK for JD Portability?

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:45 am

BruceWayne wrote:
idk wrote:What happens to the below median student at TX/Vandy/Emory? What happens to the median student at schools like Cardozo/AU/etc? Given today's legal market, I seriously wonder where all these newly minted JDs end up.

I don't know anyone at UT. I know some below median Vandy and Emory grads who graduated in May--they are currently unemployed.

I know below median 3L UT students who range from having biglaw lined up after graduation to having no idea what they'll be doing.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:33 am

Robespierre wrote:They have less portablility than the T14. That's why the T14 is a separate category.

Even T14s are not infinitely portable. However, it's very hard to tell how portable they are when 4 out of 5 stay in the same region (e.g. Columbia, Berkeley, Chicago). Of the people who leave, how many go back to their home region? How many go to NY? Of the rest how many are top of their class?
For schools that don't really have a local market (e.g. Michigan) how many go to the same region each year? (strong placement in a particular area year after year might indicate feeder)

ksllaw

Postby ksllaw » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:33 pm

http://www.utexas.edu/news/2012/10/03/u ... d_ranking/

UT-Austin has risen to Top 25 World University this year.

I wonder if this rise contributes at all to the prospects of its law grads? Unrelated? ....Slightly related...? Significantly related?

I don't know if I'd want to work in Georgia or Tennessee if I graduated from Emory or Vandy (I'm unfamiliar with those regions as a northerner). But I wouldn't mind working in California or Texas.

Would the consensus be NOT to go to Vandy or Emory EVEN on a full scholarship (or, at least, a half scholarship) if I'm unsure of wanting to work/live there? Is the gamble still too high (i.e., having to place "top" of my class - or is it more like above median - in order to have relocation prospects at these two)?

[ETA: I really should have worded my question to emphasize that the relocation aspect is only part of my consideration in choosing a law school. Of course, I'm also considering the economy overall...cost of law school ....whether it's even right for my personality/skills.....etc. ....Just thought I'd make that clear in case anyone was thinking I was SOLEY basing a decision on this one aspect. I didn't think anyone would think that, but just saying. lol. I appreciate the insights into relocation, but will certainly only make that one of several factors to consider. I might not even be going to law school at all....so this is all still very tentative for me. Just trying to see what my options would be from these four schools at the moment that had appeal for one reason or another.]
Last edited by ksllaw on Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:39 pm

ksllaw wrote:http://www.utexas.edu/news/2012/10/03/ut_no_25_world_ranking/

I wonder if this rise contributes at all to the prospects of its law grads? Unrelated? ....Slightly related...? Significantly related?

I don't know if I'd want to work in Georgia or Tennessee if I graduated from Emory or Vandy (I'm unfamiliar with those regions as a northerner). But I wouldn't mind working in California or Texas.

Would the consensus be NOT to go to Vandy or Emory EVEN on a full scholarship (or, at least, a half scholarship) if I'm unsure of wanting to work/live there? Is the gamble still too high (i.e., having to place "top" of my class - or is it more like above median - in order to have relocation prospects at these two)?

Employers will be coming in droves
(honestly, no one outside of the administrative staff give even half a fuck)

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:07 pm

ksllaw wrote:http://www.utexas.edu/news/2012/10/03/ut_no_25_world_ranking/

This is absolutely meaningless to job prospects for UT students.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”