Most Conservative T-14 Law Schools

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which T-14 Schools are the Most Conservative?

University of Chicago
24%
NYU
5%
UC Berkeley
10%
University of Pennsylvania
2%
University of Virginia
32%
University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
1%
Duke University
15%
Northwestern University
3%
Georgetown University
4%
Cornell University
3%

Total votes: 337

banjo

Re: Most Conservative T-14 Law Schools

Postby banjo » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:56 pm

Yukos wrote:
banjo wrote:^George Mason is credited, but the professors there are just time-travelers from the future trying to get things moving along. No one would recognize them as intolerant and/or GOP conservatives, which is what I think OP wants to avoid.

Is bolded true?

Yeah, time-traveler-activists, definitely. Google Robin Hanson, Bryan Caplan, Tyler Cowen, Alex Tabarrok etc. and you'll come to the same conclusion. George Mason conservatives are more likely to get behind something like global open borders (http://openborders.info/) than worry about making English the national language.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:18 pm

People must beware that the extremely conservative posters on TLS are going to think most universities are too liberal. This isn't true. The perception of what is conservative depends on the individual. In that same vein, bed-wetting liberals think any sort of fiscal responsibility means depriving the poor, and that isn't necessarily true either.

For the most part, people would probably agree that U-Chicago and UVA are the most conservative and Berkeley is clearly the most liberal. After that, the schools fall somewhere in the middle of a continuum between the two extremes. I would put HYS CLS, NYU, and Duke on the conservative side, while I would put Michigan, Northwestern and Cornell on the liberal-moderate side. You can experience a mix of liberalism and conservatism at any T14 law school except for Chicago, UVA and Berkeley.

Also, URM's should not fall into a trap of assuming that only liberal learning environments are healthy for them. I think more of us should study in conservative environments in order to gain healthy, balanced perspectives on the world. Although many here would be shocked, I am a conservative when it comes to many issues. U-Chicago and UVA are great learning environments for URM's, while some of these other so-called liberal schools may not be very good.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:23 pm

I think that UVA is the "most conservative" T14 in terms of student body, on-campus orgs, and such. However, on the overall spectrum of schools, UVA is close to the middle, and nowhere near the far-far-right atmospheres you'll find in places like Regent/Pepperdine/Baylor.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:24 pm

PDaddy wrote:For the most part, people would probably agree that U-Chicago and UVA are the most conservative and Berkeley is clearly the most liberal. After that, the schools fall somewhere in the middle of a continuum between the two extremes. I would put HYS CLS, NYU, and Duke on the conservative side, while I would put Michigan, Northwestern and Cornell on the liberal-moderate side. You can experience a mix of liberalism and conservatism at any T14 law school except for Chicago, UVA and Berkeley.

How could you possibly be so certain of all of this?

Postby 09042014 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:28 pm

I'd imagine none of the schools are that different. Maybe Duke and UVA because they are filled with the great grandsons of traitors.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:31 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
PDaddy wrote:For the most part, people would probably agree that U-Chicago and UVA are the most conservative and Berkeley is clearly the most liberal. After that, the schools fall somewhere in the middle of a continuum between the two extremes. I would put HYS CLS, NYU, and Duke on the conservative side, while I would put Michigan, Northwestern and Cornell on the liberal-moderate side. You can experience a mix of liberalism and conservatism at any T14 law school except for Chicago, UVA and Berkeley.

How could you possibly be so certain of all of this?

It's easy to be certain when you don't let fact-finding slow you down. The Bill O'Reilly method.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:34 pm

I think Chicago gets overrated for conservativism. Cass Sunstein hails from there, and he has written a lot that is critical of the old "law and economics" bullcrap. Chicago used to be more doctrinaire in this regard, but I think things have changed lately. And even then, the "law and economics" crowd isn't really equivalent to modern-day social conservativism, and may not even be equivalent to modern day economic conservativism.

Most law schools will just flat out be flaming liberal. I just don't think law is all that appealing to modern conservatives. The conservative movement over the last 30 years or so has gotten far more dogmatic and less intellectual, even to the point of showing disdain for elite thinking. It's too bad, because we could have used some elite thinking in the leadup to the Iraq war and such.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:38 pm

JCougar wrote:And even then, the "law and economics" crowd isn't really equivalent to modern-day social conservativism, and may not even be equivalent to modern day economic conservativism.

That is exactly the thing. OP's idea of conservativism and legal conservativism probably have very little overlap.

ru2486

Postby ru2486 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:50 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I'd imagine none of the schools are that different. Maybe Duke and UVA because they are filled with the great grandsons of traitors.

underrated and underappreciated

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:58 pm

ru2486 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I'd imagine none of the schools are that different. Maybe Duke and UVA because they are filled with the great grandsons of traitors.

underrated and underappreciated

+1

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:59 pm

ITT: Most people show that they've never associated with actual conservatives.

Hjones33

Postby Hjones33 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:24 pm

PDaddy wrote:People must beware that the extremely conservative posters on TLS are going to think most universities are too liberal. This isn't true. The perception of what is conservative depends on the individual. In that same vein, bed-wetting liberals think any sort of fiscal responsibility means depriving the poor, and that isn't necessarily true either.

For the most part, people would probably agree that U-Chicago and UVA are the most conservative and Berkeley is clearly the most liberal. After that, the schools fall somewhere in the middle of a continuum between the two extremes. I would put HYS CLS, NYU, and Duke on the conservative side, while I would put Michigan, Northwestern and Cornell on the liberal-moderate side. You can experience a mix of liberalism and conservatism at any T14 law school except for Chicago, UVA and Berkeley.

Also, URM's should not fall into a trap of assuming that only liberal learning environments are healthy for them. I think more of us should study in conservative environments in order to gain healthy, balanced perspectives on the world. Although many here would be shocked, I am a conservative when it comes to many issues. U-Chicago and UVA are great learning environments for URM's, while some of these other so-called liberal schools may not be very good.

Huh? NYU, Stanford, and Harvard are on the conservative side? And there isn't a mix of liberals and conservatives at Chicago and UVA? Do you actually think this or are you just trolling?

Postby 09042014 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:30 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:ITT: Most people show that they've never associated with actual conservatives.

I voted for W in 04 and Ron Paul in 08 primaries brah.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:03 pm

Ok, thats 2 people in this thread that have used "NYU" and "conservative" in the same sentence. Am I taking crazy pills or something? Is it backwards day? Where the hell are you guys coming up with this stuff?

Postby 09042014 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:34 pm

kaiser wrote:Ok, thats 2 people in this thread that have used "NYU" and "conservative" in the same sentence. Am I taking crazy pills or something? Is it backwards day? Where the hell are you guys coming up with this stuff?

There is ALWAYS that butthurt liberal who thinks anything who disagrees with them is 100% wrong, evil, and that any presence of such a person means the campus is "kinda conservative."

That's what I'd imagine causes this.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:36 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
kaiser wrote:Ok, thats 2 people in this thread that have used "NYU" and "conservative" in the same sentence. Am I taking crazy pills or something? Is it backwards day? Where the hell are you guys coming up with this stuff?

There is ALWAYS that butthurt liberal who thinks anything who disagrees with them is 100% wrong, evil, and that any presence of such a person means the campus is "kinda conservative."

That's what I'd imagine causes this.

But you don't understand, he disagreed with me!

Hjones33

Postby Hjones33 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:36 pm

flem wrote:
Hjones33 wrote:
PDaddy wrote:People must beware that the extremely conservative posters on TLS are going to think most universities are too liberal. This isn't true. The perception of what is conservative depends on the individual. In that same vein, bed-wetting liberals think any sort of fiscal responsibility means depriving the poor, and that isn't necessarily true either.

Huh? NYU, Stanford, and Harvard are on the conservative side? And there isn't a mix of liberals and conservatives at Chicago and UVA? Do you actually think this or are you just trolling?

I hope you find this as well as this helpful

Literally Laughed out loud at that buttermilk rant. The no lip, hawk nosed, "buttermilk in the mornin' smellin..." rant should be accompanied with everything s/he posts.

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:42 pm

I like the 18 people that voted Berkeley.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:32 pm

OP here. I appreciate the insight TLS. I guess its time to scratch Virginia off the app. list. I have never particularly cared for the school anyways. I am not sure about Duke and the University of Chicago yet.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:14 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:OP here. I appreciate the insight TLS. I guess its time to scratch Virginia off the app. list. I have never particularly cared for the school anyways. I am not sure about Duke and the University of Chicago yet.

Don't scratch anything off of anything unless money is no object. Scholarships can be random and you need offers for negotiating.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:16 pm

Considering that the majority of lawl students are liberals at every single T14 and that the self-identified conservatives are really only free market ideologues who don't care about social issues, this thread seems pretty pointless.

skers

Postby skers » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:01 am

IAFG wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:OP here. I appreciate the insight TLS. I guess its time to scratch Virginia off the app. list. I have never particularly cared for the school anyways. I am not sure about Duke and the University of Chicago yet.

Don't scratch anything off of anything unless money is no object. Scholarships can be random and you need offers for negotiating.

Yeah this. Don't fuck yourself out of money or anything like that. Every school is going to lean considerably to the left. It's not like you're talking about going to Regent.

Swimp

Postby Swimp » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:00 am

Charlottesville is a pretty liberal town. Just because UVA is "conservative" relative to other top law schools doesn't mean it would feel actually conservative. I know a LOT of people from UVA (granted, undergrad) and I can't think of very many who believe in God, let alone identify as conservative.

Samara

Postby Samara » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:09 am

Swimp wrote:

Charlottesville is a pretty liberal town. Just because UVA is "conservative" relative to other top law schools doesn't mean it would feel actually conservative. I know a LOT of people from UVA (granted, undergrad) and I can't think of very many who believe in God, let alone identify as conservative.

You don't need to believe in God to be a dumb conservative.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:16 am

Samara wrote:
Swimp wrote:

You don't need to believe in God to be a dumb conservative.

This is a lot of space that could be used to point out moronic someone needs to be to let the student body political composition rule out schools.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”