Most Conservative T-14 Law Schools

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which T-14 Schools are the Most Conservative?

University of Chicago
81
24%
NYU
16
5%
UC Berkeley
34
10%
University of Pennsylvania
8
2%
University of Virginia
108
32%
University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
4
1%
Duke University
52
15%
Northwestern University
10
3%
Georgetown University
13
4%
Cornell University
11
3%
 
Total votes: 337

User avatar
banjo
Posts: 1345
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:00 pm

Re: Most Conservative T-14 Law Schools

Postby banjo » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:56 pm

Yukos wrote:
banjo wrote:^George Mason is credited, but the professors there are just time-travelers from the future trying to get things moving along. No one would recognize them as intolerant and/or GOP conservatives, which is what I think OP wants to avoid.


Is bolded true?


Yeah, time-traveler-activists, definitely. Google Robin Hanson, Bryan Caplan, Tyler Cowen, Alex Tabarrok etc. and you'll come to the same conclusion. George Mason conservatives are more likely to get behind something like global open borders (http://openborders.info/) than worry about making English the national language.

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: Most Conservative T-14 Law Schools

Postby PDaddy » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:18 pm

People must beware that the extremely conservative posters on TLS are going to think most universities are too liberal. This isn't true. The perception of what is conservative depends on the individual. In that same vein, bed-wetting liberals think any sort of fiscal responsibility means depriving the poor, and that isn't necessarily true either.

For the most part, people would probably agree that U-Chicago and UVA are the most conservative and Berkeley is clearly the most liberal. After that, the schools fall somewhere in the middle of a continuum between the two extremes. I would put HYS CLS, NYU, and Duke on the conservative side, while I would put Michigan, Northwestern and Cornell on the liberal-moderate side. You can experience a mix of liberalism and conservatism at any T14 law school except for Chicago, UVA and Berkeley.

Also, URM's should not fall into a trap of assuming that only liberal learning environments are healthy for them. I think more of us should study in conservative environments in order to gain healthy, balanced perspectives on the world. Although many here would be shocked, I am a conservative when it comes to many issues. U-Chicago and UVA are great learning environments for URM's, while some of these other so-called liberal schools may not be very good.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Most Conservative T-14 Law Schools

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:23 pm

I think that UVA is the "most conservative" T14 in terms of student body, on-campus orgs, and such. However, on the overall spectrum of schools, UVA is close to the middle, and nowhere near the far-far-right atmospheres you'll find in places like Regent/Pepperdine/Baylor.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15503
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Most Conservative T-14 Law Schools

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:24 pm

PDaddy wrote:For the most part, people would probably agree that U-Chicago and UVA are the most conservative and Berkeley is clearly the most liberal. After that, the schools fall somewhere in the middle of a continuum between the two extremes. I would put HYS CLS, NYU, and Duke on the conservative side, while I would put Michigan, Northwestern and Cornell on the liberal-moderate side. You can experience a mix of liberalism and conservatism at any T14 law school except for Chicago, UVA and Berkeley.

How could you possibly be so certain of all of this?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Most Conservative T-14 Law Schools

Postby 09042014 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:28 pm

I'd imagine none of the schools are that different. Maybe Duke and UVA because they are filled with the great grandsons of traitors.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Most Conservative T-14 Law Schools

Postby IAFG » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:31 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
PDaddy wrote:For the most part, people would probably agree that U-Chicago and UVA are the most conservative and Berkeley is clearly the most liberal. After that, the schools fall somewhere in the middle of a continuum between the two extremes. I would put HYS CLS, NYU, and Duke on the conservative side, while I would put Michigan, Northwestern and Cornell on the liberal-moderate side. You can experience a mix of liberalism and conservatism at any T14 law school except for Chicago, UVA and Berkeley.

How could you possibly be so certain of all of this?

It's easy to be certain when you don't let fact-finding slow you down. The Bill O'Reilly method.

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: Most Conservative T-14 Law Schools

Postby JCougar » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:34 pm

I think Chicago gets overrated for conservativism. Cass Sunstein hails from there, and he has written a lot that is critical of the old "law and economics" bullcrap. Chicago used to be more doctrinaire in this regard, but I think things have changed lately. And even then, the "law and economics" crowd isn't really equivalent to modern-day social conservativism, and may not even be equivalent to modern day economic conservativism.

Most law schools will just flat out be flaming liberal. I just don't think law is all that appealing to modern conservatives. The conservative movement over the last 30 years or so has gotten far more dogmatic and less intellectual, even to the point of showing disdain for elite thinking. It's too bad, because we could have used some elite thinking in the leadup to the Iraq war and such.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Most Conservative T-14 Law Schools

Postby IAFG » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:38 pm

JCougar wrote:And even then, the "law and economics" crowd isn't really equivalent to modern-day social conservativism, and may not even be equivalent to modern day economic conservativism.

That is exactly the thing. OP's idea of conservativism and legal conservativism probably have very little overlap.

User avatar
ru2486
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:28 am

Re: Most Conservative T-14 Law Schools

Postby ru2486 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:50 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I'd imagine none of the schools are that different. Maybe Duke and UVA because they are filled with the great grandsons of traitors.


underrated and underappreciated

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: Most Conservative T-14 Law Schools

Postby JCougar » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:58 pm

ru2486 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I'd imagine none of the schools are that different. Maybe Duke and UVA because they are filled with the great grandsons of traitors.


underrated and underappreciated


+1

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Most Conservative T-14 Law Schools

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:59 pm

ITT: Most people show that they've never associated with actual conservatives.

User avatar
Hjones33
Posts: 135
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:07 pm

Re: Most Conservative T-14 Law Schools

Postby Hjones33 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:24 pm

PDaddy wrote:People must beware that the extremely conservative posters on TLS are going to think most universities are too liberal. This isn't true. The perception of what is conservative depends on the individual. In that same vein, bed-wetting liberals think any sort of fiscal responsibility means depriving the poor, and that isn't necessarily true either.

For the most part, people would probably agree that U-Chicago and UVA are the most conservative and Berkeley is clearly the most liberal. After that, the schools fall somewhere in the middle of a continuum between the two extremes. I would put HYS CLS, NYU, and Duke on the conservative side, while I would put Michigan, Northwestern and Cornell on the liberal-moderate side. You can experience a mix of liberalism and conservatism at any T14 law school except for Chicago, UVA and Berkeley.

Also, URM's should not fall into a trap of assuming that only liberal learning environments are healthy for them. I think more of us should study in conservative environments in order to gain healthy, balanced perspectives on the world. Although many here would be shocked, I am a conservative when it comes to many issues. U-Chicago and UVA are great learning environments for URM's, while some of these other so-called liberal schools may not be very good.


Huh? NYU, Stanford, and Harvard are on the conservative side? And there isn't a mix of liberals and conservatives at Chicago and UVA? Do you actually think this or are you just trolling?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Most Conservative T-14 Law Schools

Postby 09042014 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:30 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:ITT: Most people show that they've never associated with actual conservatives.


I voted for W in 04 and Ron Paul in 08 primaries brah.

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: Most Conservative T-14 Law Schools

Postby kaiser » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:03 pm

Ok, thats 2 people in this thread that have used "NYU" and "conservative" in the same sentence. Am I taking crazy pills or something? Is it backwards day? Where the hell are you guys coming up with this stuff?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Most Conservative T-14 Law Schools

Postby 09042014 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:34 pm

kaiser wrote:Ok, thats 2 people in this thread that have used "NYU" and "conservative" in the same sentence. Am I taking crazy pills or something? Is it backwards day? Where the hell are you guys coming up with this stuff?


There is ALWAYS that butthurt liberal who thinks anything who disagrees with them is 100% wrong, evil, and that any presence of such a person means the campus is "kinda conservative."

That's what I'd imagine causes this.

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: Most Conservative T-14 Law Schools

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:36 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
kaiser wrote:Ok, thats 2 people in this thread that have used "NYU" and "conservative" in the same sentence. Am I taking crazy pills or something? Is it backwards day? Where the hell are you guys coming up with this stuff?


There is ALWAYS that butthurt liberal who thinks anything who disagrees with them is 100% wrong, evil, and that any presence of such a person means the campus is "kinda conservative."

That's what I'd imagine causes this.

But you don't understand, he disagreed with me!

User avatar
Hjones33
Posts: 135
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:07 pm

Re: Most Conservative T-14 Law Schools

Postby Hjones33 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:36 pm

flem wrote:
Hjones33 wrote:
PDaddy wrote:People must beware that the extremely conservative posters on TLS are going to think most universities are too liberal. This isn't true. The perception of what is conservative depends on the individual. In that same vein, bed-wetting liberals think any sort of fiscal responsibility means depriving the poor, and that isn't necessarily true either.

For the most part, people would probably agree that U-Chicago and UVA are the most conservative and Berkeley is clearly the most liberal. After that, the schools fall somewhere in the middle of a continuum between the two extremes. I would put HYS CLS, NYU, and Duke on the conservative side, while I would put Michigan, Northwestern and Cornell on the liberal-moderate side. You can experience a mix of liberalism and conservatism at any T14 law school except for Chicago, UVA and Berkeley.

Also, URM's should not fall into a trap of assuming that only liberal learning environments are healthy for them. I think more of us should study in conservative environments in order to gain healthy, balanced perspectives on the world. Although many here would be shocked, I am a conservative when it comes to many issues. U-Chicago and UVA are great learning environments for URM's, while some of these other so-called liberal schools may not be very good.


Huh? NYU, Stanford, and Harvard are on the conservative side? And there isn't a mix of liberals and conservatives at Chicago and UVA? Do you actually think this or are you just trolling?


I hope you find this as well as this helpful


Literally Laughed out loud at that buttermilk rant. The no lip, hawk nosed, "buttermilk in the mornin' smellin..." rant should be accompanied with everything s/he posts.

User avatar
drmguy
Posts: 1016
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:43 am

Re: Most Conservative T-14 Law Schools

Postby drmguy » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:42 pm

I like the 18 people that voted Berkeley.

User avatar
bizzybone1313
Posts: 996
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: Most Conservative T-14 Law Schools

Postby bizzybone1313 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:32 pm

OP here. I appreciate the insight TLS. I guess its time to scratch Virginia off the app. list. I have never particularly cared for the school anyways. I am not sure about Duke and the University of Chicago yet.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Most Conservative T-14 Law Schools

Postby IAFG » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:14 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:OP here. I appreciate the insight TLS. I guess its time to scratch Virginia off the app. list. I have never particularly cared for the school anyways. I am not sure about Duke and the University of Chicago yet.

Don't scratch anything off of anything unless money is no object. Scholarships can be random and you need offers for negotiating.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Most Conservative T-14 Law Schools

Postby dresden doll » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:16 pm

Considering that the majority of lawl students are liberals at every single T14 and that the self-identified conservatives are really only free market ideologues who don't care about social issues, this thread seems pretty pointless.

User avatar
skers
Posts: 4950
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:33 am

Re: Most Conservative T-14 Law Schools

Postby skers » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:01 am

IAFG wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:OP here. I appreciate the insight TLS. I guess its time to scratch Virginia off the app. list. I have never particularly cared for the school anyways. I am not sure about Duke and the University of Chicago yet.

Don't scratch anything off of anything unless money is no object. Scholarships can be random and you need offers for negotiating.


Yeah this. Don't fuck yourself out of money or anything like that. Every school is going to lean considerably to the left. It's not like you're talking about going to Regent.

Swimp
Posts: 493
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 9:32 am

Re: Most Conservative T-14 Law Schools

Postby Swimp » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:00 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:OP here. I appreciate the insight TLS. I guess its time to scratch Virginia off the app. list. I have never particularly cared for the school anyways. I am not sure about Duke and the University of Chicago yet.


Charlottesville is a pretty liberal town. Just because UVA is "conservative" relative to other top law schools doesn't mean it would feel actually conservative. I know a LOT of people from UVA (granted, undergrad) and I can't think of very many who believe in God, let alone identify as conservative.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Most Conservative T-14 Law Schools

Postby Samara » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:09 am

Swimp wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:OP here. I appreciate the insight TLS. I guess its time to scratch Virginia off the app. list. I have never particularly cared for the school anyways. I am not sure about Duke and the University of Chicago yet.


Charlottesville is a pretty liberal town. Just because UVA is "conservative" relative to other top law schools doesn't mean it would feel actually conservative. I know a LOT of people from UVA (granted, undergrad) and I can't think of very many who believe in God, let alone identify as conservative.

You don't need to believe in God to be a dumb conservative.

Image

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Most Conservative T-14 Law Schools

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:16 am

Samara wrote:
Swimp wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:OP here. I appreciate the insight TLS. I guess its time to scratch Virginia off the app. list. I have never particularly cared for the school anyways. I am not sure about Duke and the University of Chicago yet.


Charlottesville is a pretty liberal town. Just because UVA is "conservative" relative to other top law schools doesn't mean it would feel actually conservative. I know a LOT of people from UVA (granted, undergrad) and I can't think of very many who believe in God, let alone identify as conservative.

You don't need to believe in God to be a dumb conservative.

Image

This is a lot of space that could be used to point out moronic someone needs to be to let the student body political composition rule out schools.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: champloo and 6 guests