Most Conservative T-14 Law Schools Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which T-14 Schools are the Most Conservative?

University of Chicago
24%
NYU
4%
UC Berkeley
9%
University of Pennsylvania
2%
University of Virginia
33%
University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
1%
Duke University
16%
Northwestern University
3%
Georgetown University
4%
Cornell University
3%

Total votes: 362

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Re: Most Conservative T-14 Law Schools

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:59 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:Fall of 2012 Percentage of Minorities

University of Chicago (2011): 26%
NYU: 30%
University of Pennsylvania: 35%
UC Berkeley: 40%
University of Virginia: 21%
University of Michigan: 27%
Duke University (2011): 31%
Northwestern University (2011): 35%
Cornell University (2011): 49%
Georgetown University: 22%

Based on these numbers, it appears to me that there is some correlation between the conservative nature of a school and minorities not wanting to attend. Why do Northwestern and Cornell have a significantly higher percentage of minorities than the better schools of University of Virginia and the University of Chicago? I visited the University of Chicago a few years ago; I did not get a good vibe. Its not a school I am too excited about applying to. I phrased the poll question the way I did, because I was trying to be politically correct. I did not want to flat out ask: Which T-14 school has the most racist culture?
Very helpful stats. It's good to know that Michigan is more conservative than Duke. And NYU is more conservative than Penn.

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:03 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:Fall of 2012 Percentage of Minorities

University of Chicago (2011): 26%
NYU: 30%
University of Pennsylvania: 35%
UC Berkeley: 40%
University of Virginia: 21%
University of Michigan: 27%
Duke University (2011): 31%
Northwestern University (2011): 35%
Cornell University (2011): 49%
Georgetown University: 22%

Based on these numbers, it appears to me that there is some correlation between the conservative nature of a school and minorities not wanting to attend. Why do Northwestern and Cornell have a significantly higher percentage of minorities than the better schools of University of Virginia and the University of Chicago? I visited the University of Chicago a few years ago; I did not get a good vibe. Its not a school I am too excited about applying to. I phrased the poll question the way I did, because I was trying to be politically correct. I did not want to flat out ask: Which T-14 school has the most racist culture?
In order for your logic to work, each school would have had to have accepted the same percentage of minorities. A higher percentage of minorities can definitely indicate a more accepting environment, but it doesn't mean that 1) a school with a lower percentage is inherently less welcoming and 2) their lower percentage is a result of minority students not wanting to attend simply because of the perceived environment.

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:06 pm

OP sounds racist as fuck.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:07 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:OP sounds racist as fuck.
Or conservative, same thing.

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:10 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:I attended one of the most conservative undergraduate schools in the country. I am trying to avoid this for law school at all costs. Does anyone have any thoughts as to which of the T-14 are known to be the most conservative? I left YHSC off the poll, because most people would attend these schools if admitted.

Where did you go to undergrad? This will give us an idea of what you are trying to avoid.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:11 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:OP sounds racist as fuck.
Or conservative, same thing.
Thanks Chris Matthews.

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:11 pm

Percentage of Minorities at YHSC for Fall of 2012

Yale: 32%
Harvard: 39%
Stanford (2011): 34%
Columbia: 38%

Let's turn this into a LSAT question. This should be fun. Here it goes.......

PT 66, S3, Q22

The Deep South in the United States has historically been more prone to racism than other parts of the country. In 2012, the University of Virginia School of Law, which is located in the Deep South, will only have a 21% representation of minorities in its class. In the United States, no other T-14 elite institution school of law has a lower percentage of minorities enrolled in its Fall of 2012 class than the University of Virginia. This fact suggests that there is a correlation between the conservativeness of a school and a culture of racism being more pervasive.

Which one of the following, if true, weakens bizzybone1313's argument?

If this was a real LSAT question, it would have to be thrown out. I didn't look up the percentage of minorities at all of the T-14 before accurately predicting that the more conservative law schools would have more of a problem recruiting people of color. As I stated in my original post, I went to one of the most conservative undergraduate schools in the country, and I am not doing that again for my legal studies.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:14 pm

Here at Duke, we're not racist. But we're also not very tolerant of objectively awful people. So you can go ahead and scratch us off that old list of yours, OP. Thanks.

Edit: Also, lol @ Virginia being "the Deep South."
Last edited by beachbum on Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:17 pm

Enjoy the multicultural oasis of Ithaca.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:27 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:\

The Deep South in the United States has historically been more prone to racism than other parts of the country. In 2012, the University of Virginia School of Law, which is located in the Deep South, will only have a 21% representation of minorities in its class. In the United States, no other T-14 elite institution school of law has a lower percentage of minorities enrolled in its Fall of 2012 class than the University of Virginia. This fact suggests that there is a correlation between the conservativeness of a school and a culture of racism being more pervasive.

Which one of the following, if true, weakens bizzybone1313's argument?
UVA is not part of the deep south. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_South

The North has a history of racism and the South is heavily filled with minorities http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/25/us/25 ... d=all&_r=0, http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/ha ... risdiction

Being as every T14 law school has more minorities than the population at large. This would imply three things:
1. There is no sense of racist culture at any T14 school
2. Demographic differences between individual T14's are more likely to be based on things that can be observed prior to matriculation, such as geography, reputation, undergraduate affiliations, recruiting, amount of external diversity funding, state constitutions, class size, fellowships. etc, rather than on an underlying racist dog whistle that prospective students hear.
3. That you are probably not a lot of fun to have in Crim Law class.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:28 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:Percentage of Minorities at YHSC for Fall of 2012

Yale: 32%
Harvard: 39%
Stanford (2011): 34%
Columbia: 38%
Wow, Yale has really become racist/conservative in comparison to some of the top schools. I blame Jack Balkin--damn you sir, this is what you get for playing with fire (originalism).

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:30 pm

beachbum wrote:Here at Duke, we're not racist. But we're also not very tolerant of objectively awful people. So you can go ahead and scratch us off that old list of yours, OP. Thanks.

I don't really understand what in my posts would make me an awful person. I do not care for Duke too much anyways; I am not missing out. I get along just fine with most people. I simply have a very low tolerance for racism. The Republican Party will eventually get the point that subtle racism doesn't fly with us as we continue to thump them at the polls around the country election after election. They will get the point. I promise.

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:31 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:
beachbum wrote:Here at Duke, we're not racist. But we're also not very tolerant of objectively awful people. So you can go ahead and scratch us off that old list of yours, OP. Thanks.

I don't really understand what in my posts would make me an awful person. I do not care for Duke too much anyways; I am not missing out. I get along just fine with most people. I simply have a very low tolerance for racism. The Republican Party will eventually get the point that subtle racism doesn't fly with us as we continue to thump them at the polls around the country election after election. They will get the point. I promise.
I know a lot of racist Democrats.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:32 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:

Sounds great, OP. I appreciate your cooperation.

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:33 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:

A liberal who is high and mighty about racism? Color me surprised.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:33 pm

Please cross UT off your list too. (I realize we're not a T14, I'm just trying to be proactive here.)

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:36 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:The Republican Party will eventually get the point that subtle racism doesn't fly with us as we continue to thump them at the polls around the country election after election. They will get the point. I promise.
I kind of feel bad for OP. Hateful and out of touch.
--LinkRemoved--

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:45 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:The Republican Party will eventually get the point that subtle racism doesn't fly with us as we continue to thump them at the polls around the country election after election. They will get the point. I promise.
I kind of feel bad for OP. Hateful and out of touch.
--LinkRemoved--
Come back on election night. Mitt Romney is out of touch with middle-class America. That will be his downfall. I personally like the guy for the most part. He is very qualified to be President. He just has just said a lot of dumb things that have become a turn off to the average, middle of the road voter. That poll is national, which doesn't really mean anything. The only polls that matter are the battleground states, which show President Obama winning for the most part.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:47 pm

Oh my God. Legal conservatism has pretty much nothing to do with the Republican party. It's okay to not know that, but it's not okay to ignore it when people are explaining it to you.

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:49 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:Please cross UT off your list too. (I realize we're not a T14, I'm just trying to be proactive here.)
I am from Texas, so that isn't happening. UT-Austin is the best bang for the buck in the country if you are from Texas. I do not really understand why so many people have a problem with my theory/this thread. I am sorry....facts are stubborn things. If you were a URM, you would be singing a different tune.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:52 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:Please cross UT off your list too. (I realize we're not a T14, I'm just trying to be proactive here.)
I am from Texas, so that isn't happening. UT-Austin is the best bang for the buck in the country if you are from Texas. I do not really understand why so many people have a problem with my theory/this thread. I am sorry....facts are stubborn things. If you were a URM, you would be singing a different tune.
Because your "facts" have nothing to do with the reality of T14 culture, which is universally bleeding heart liberal on race issues.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:55 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:
I'm a URM (I don't understand why it matters in this context whether one is a URM versus just a minority) and your thread is ridiculous.

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:10 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:I simply have a very low tolerance for racism. The Republican Party will eventually get the point that subtle racism doesn't fly with us as we continue to thump them at the polls around the country election after election. They will get the point. I promise.
What makes you think you won't find subtle racism at so-called liberal havens?

you seem dumb.

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:19 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:I simply have a very low tolerance for racism. The Republican Party will eventually get the point that subtle racism doesn't fly with us as we continue to thump them at the polls around the country election after election. They will get the point. I promise.
What makes you think you won't find subtle racism at so-called liberal havens?

you seem dumb.
I never claimed liberals cannot be racist. Who ever said that? Elite universities in general tend to have racial problems on their campuses throughout the country. We get used to it. Our eyes do not flinch. Its a normal part of our lives.

I can't be that dumb; I graduated Magma Cum Laude from undergrad.

basilseal

Bronze

Post by basilseal » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:33 pm

Troll.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”