Cooley Law questions

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Chosen one
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:50 pm

Re: Cooley Law questions

Postby Chosen one » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:12 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
Chosen one wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:If you come on here and ask about Cooley, people are going to assume you're a flame. That's just the way it is.


Now i see, but honestly really is that anyway to talk to/welcome new members?


Anything to get people not to go to Cooley.


Alot of guys in this thread have all posted legit reasons not to go....and they did it without insults.............

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Cooley Law questions

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:19 pm

Chosen one wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
Chosen one wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:If you come on here and ask about Cooley, people are going to assume you're a flame. That's just the way it is.


Now i see, but honestly really is that anyway to talk to/welcome new members?


Anything to get people not to go to Cooley.


Alot of guys in this thread have all posted legit reasons not to go....and they did it without insults.............


I didn't insult you. Please, just don't go to Cooley. If you have to go to Wayne or UDM, do it with a full ride.

It is a reflex here that every thread about Cooley is a flame because people like to antagonize people, and we just assume everyone who would post here would know that going to Cooley was dumb.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: Cooley Law questions

Postby cinephile » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:20 pm

I met a girl from Cooley once at a job fair. She was a rising 2L who hadn't worked at all her 1L summer because apparently Cooley is in session year round. I think she said they can only take one semester off to intern. So, besides the fact that's it's an expensive school with terrible prospects, you'll do worse compared to similarly situated TTT students because you'll start searching for 2L summer jobs without having done something legal the summer before.

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: Cooley Law questions

Postby JCougar » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:37 pm

cinephile wrote:I met a girl from Cooley once at a job fair. She was a rising 2L who hadn't worked at all her 1L summer because apparently Cooley is in session year round. I think she said they can only take one semester off to intern. So, besides the fact that's it's an expensive school with terrible prospects, you'll do worse compared to similarly situated TTT students because you'll start searching for 2L summer jobs without having done something legal the summer before.


That's a good way of hiding from the students the employment perils of Cooley until they've paid an extra year's worth of tuition. Last thing you want is those people after 1L to be sending out resumes and experiencing a raft of rejections causing them to rethink paying for 2L.

Boy, those scam artists think of everything.

zomginternets
Posts: 547
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: Cooley Law questions

Postby zomginternets » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:07 am

I'm an articles editor on a law review. I read an article this past summer that was written by a Cooley JD grad, who had gone on to do an LLM at GULC and a couple of other non-law degrees from various schools. He did not list his JD degree in the article, but noticeably emphasized all of the other degrees he had received (and the honors he got for each). Kinda goes to show how much people who went to Cooley want to disassociate themselves with the school.

I don't want to weigh in on whether you should or should not go, but just wanted to give an anecdote indicating that the particularly negative perception of Cooley really exists in the real-world and not just on TLS. People would think Cooley was just like any other TTT if it wasn't for their stupid rankings that they publish; but the fact that they actually argue that they are better than Yale and Stanford just makes them a spectacle.

User avatar
Cerebro
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:22 pm

Re: Cooley Law questions

Postby Cerebro » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:32 pm

The guy in this TV commercial went to Cooley. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GegZqkAyGRw

Stop hating.

User avatar
Advice Dog
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:04 am

Re: Cooley Law questions

Postby Advice Dog » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:39 pm

Dear Gentle OP,

Cooley Law is a venerated institution that will open many doors to you, including bar-tending (even BIG BAR-TENDING at Chili's), valet parking, and, if you are fortunate enough to make law review, law firm receptionist.

Yours, etc.

Advice Dog

pecchiord1
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:55 am

Re: Cooley Law questions

Postby pecchiord1 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:14 pm

my father went to Cooley. And as I'm considering law school he's constantly sending me Cooley stuff he gets in the mail.

Super awkward to explain to him why i'm not even considering it as he is a very successful personal injury attorney

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: Cooley Law questions

Postby stillwater » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:31 pm

i dropped out of cooley high.

tim.janitor
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:12 am

Re: Cooley Law questions

Postby tim.janitor » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:32 pm


awr20562009
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:04 am

Re: Cooley Law questions

Postby awr20562009 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:30 pm

Okay, I have monitored this website on an occasional basis for the last 4 years. I can promise you that I am not a troll, although given what I have seen here in my time, I am sure someone will accuse me of being one. Notwithstanding that, I will give you my honest opinion of Cooley from my own perspective of being a student and graduate from there. Many people on this website will continually bash Cooley because it is the "chic thing" to do. Although, I admit that Cooley brings a lot of this ridicule upon itself by its asinine "Ranking the Law Schools Ranking System." From my own non-scientific observations of Cooley student's feeling regarding these rankings, I would guess that 90%+ of the students think that these rankings are ridiculous and do far more harm to the school than help. Regardless, they are published every year (the reasons for which I could go on about, but I will save that for another day). Anyways, as far as Cooley goes for an education, I will say that I don't feel that my quality of education suffered at all there. I went to Cooley because I wanted to be a lawyer above all else and could see myself doing nothing else (I was very interested in criminal law). I lived in the Detroit area and did not want to move because I was in (at the time) a serious relationship (which ended a month into law school... bad decision in retrospect). Yes, I could have went to UDM or Wayne State, but Cooley offered me an 85% scholarship, and I could not justify going to those schools for near-sticker price given a marginal difference in reputation (if you live in Michigan, Cooley is very much considered on par with UDM and Wayne State, give or take a "big firm" or two).

Anyways, there was a couple of things I was very trepidatious about regarding Cooley when I started. First, it was the reputation on this website and others, e.g. Above the Law, etc. I had read all of the people bashing it and how I would have near zero hope of finding employment upon graduation. Second, I was also wary of Cooley's reputation of being a high acceptance/low graduation rate school. Third, I was wary of the perception that Cooley was a "degree mill" and the stigma of graduating from there, assuming I did. Despite these doubts, I decided to attend there hoping that if I did well enough I could always transfer out if I wanted to leave (PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do not go to ANY law school thinking this - most times you will not succeed in doing well enough to transfer). So I started in September of 2009 - and while I could probably write for hours of my different experiences at Cooley, for the most part it was a wonderful law school experience. I busted my ass my first semester and 4.0'd it, all-in-all I ended up in the top 10% of my class in my first year - I had the opportunity to transfer out, but chose not to do it for a myriad of reasons that basically boiled down to the fact that I figured out how to succeed there, and was very confident of my ability to graduate in the top 5% of my class. I did not want to take on the extra debt of a higher ranked school, when I had no interest in "big law" I wanted to be a prosecutor. I continued to bust my ass at Cooley, and by the time I graduated, I finished number 19 in my class of 519 (ridiculous class size, I know).

Despite what you may hear on this website, if you go to Cooley and you do very well, you will likely to find some kind of legal employment. I can only say this because I graduated in May took the Texas Bar in July and was hired at the first DA's Office I applied to in Texas, where I had 0 connections. I also have a number of friends who graduated in the top 25%. Two of these friends landed Federal Judicial Clerkship's in Eastern District of Michigan, a couple did Summer Associates at prestigious firms in the Detroit area, which offered them full-time positions upon the conclusions of their summers. Many of my friends have landed really good jobs at medium-size firms. Some of them have landed jobs with different federal/state agencies. I say all of this to say that it is not a guaranteed trip to your latest bar-tending gig upon graduation, as many on this website would have you to believe.

BUT here is my caveat, if you go to Cooley with the cavalier attitude that you will be handed a big firm associate position if you just graduate (as many a misguided law student has), that will not happen, you will most likely fail out in your first year, and if you do happen to graduate then good luck doing document review until a shitty personal injury firm decides to take a flier on you. You will have to bust your ass and outwork everyone around you and you will have to network the shit out of everyone you can. In my experience this is the most important part of law school (besides getting good grades), it really is all about "who you know" as far as getting a job after graduation. I know I say that after I got a job where I had 0 connections, but believe me that is the anomaly, the majority of the people I know who have gotten jobs got them because they interned/externed at a place and really blew their supervisor(s) socks off. I could keep rambling on about Cooley and my experiences but it is getting late and I have to get up early for work (which I love every minute of). So in closing I will give you my top three favorite and not so favorite things about Cooley.

Favorites: (1) The professors for the most part are awesome, most of them have had very successful careers prior to law school and they bring a very practical approach to law school, which believe me you will learn to appreciate. (2) The students at Cooley are not as competitive as other law schools, everyone (for the most part) is willing to share everything they have and in my experience there is a much greater sense of camaraderie there. (3) The legal education you will receive there is without a doubt top-notch, as much of a bad rap Cooley gets, I cannot emphasize the quality of education you will receive there. They pay and treat their professors very, very well. As such, they have very high standards when it comes to quality of education and who they hire. Now, I did have a couple of bad professors but for the most part, I do not feel my education suffered at all by attending there.

Non-Favorites: (1) The prevailing attitude at the top of the Cooley administration of "fuck everyone else and the ABA we are going to do whatever the hell we want." This really bothered me because I do think Cooley could do a lot of things to help their reputation in the law school community, but they really, honestly don't give that much of a shit. (2) Their scheduling: Cooley is set up on a trimester schedule, meaning most people go to school year round, so it makes it very difficult to do extracurricular legal work full time (although it can be done if you really want to do it). (3) The number of required courses you have to take to graduate. At Cooley, you will only be able to take a few electives (especially if you max out your externship hours) because there is a very high number of required courses that most schools do not make you take, i.e. fed admin, sales, secured transactions, bus orgs, wills/trusts, evidence, tax, etc. It is very frustrating because I was not able to take a lot of classes that I would have been able to at other law schools simply because I did not have the room to take them.

In sum, I will say that my opinion of Cooley is based upon my own experiences. You can talk to other people and they will give you a terrible review of their time there. I truly believe that if you decide to go to Cooley, it will be what you make it, but only you will be able to assess your circumstances and decide whether it is worth it for you. I am assuming you are employed already and you will be maintaining your employment. With that being the case, I can understand why you are considering Cooley (because of their weekend and night program that allows you to keep your job). If you decided to go to Cooley, I would NOT quit your job and try to keep your debt as low as possible - preferably 0 if you can handle it. It is not advisable to go to Cooley if you have to quit your job and get into a significant amount of debt - the legal market is just too saturated right now. But at the same time, if you are dead-set on becoming a lawyer no matter the cost, I understand (very, very BIG gamble). Be prepared, however, to lie awake many a sleepless night after perusing these and other forums worried about what you have gotten yourself into.

The Duck
Posts: 481
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:14 am

Re: Cooley Law questions

Postby The Duck » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:42 pm

Anyone else notice all Cooley grads are brainwashed and seem to actually believe the crap they sell? I've met dozens and all spend the entire time talking about how good Cooley is.

Nor do they mention Cooley's (rumored) practice of forcing a huge percentage of their students out every year. The worst thing is not being an unemployed grad, it's not being a grad but having the debt and name on your résumé.

There have also been rumors of them withholding LoRs etc so their top students can transfer. If true, that's downright dirty.

awr20562009
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:04 am

Re: Cooley Law questions

Postby awr20562009 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:55 pm

The Duck wrote:Anyone else notice all Cooley grads are brainwashed and seem to actually believe the crap they sell? I've met dozens and all spend the entire time talking about how good Cooley is.

Nor do they mention Cooley's (rumored) practice of forcing a huge percentage of their students out every year. The worst thing is not being an unemployed grad, it's not being a grad but having the debt and name on your résumé.

There have also been rumors of them withholding LoRs etc so their top students can transfer. If true, that's downright dirty.



Again, what I wrote is my opinion, you are free to have your own - as you clearly do. As far as them withholding LoR's I find this highly unlikely, I got into every school I applied to transfer to, and I had no difficulties getting a LoR, including one from the dean of my campus. But again, this was my own experience there. You may say I am brainwashed, and while I think I have a pretty realistic view of Cooley, I can't deny I did not have the cataclysmic experience as advertised on this forum; as such, that probably did come through a little bit in my post. All I can say is I graduated with a 3.80, got a job at the first place I interviewed (doing what I wanted to do), and I managed to maintain minimal debt. Needless to say, I'm pretty happy with the way my experience turned out.

User avatar
vpintz
Posts: 1408
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:51 am

Re: Cooley Law questions

Postby vpintz » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:04 pm

awr20562009 wrote:Okay, I have monitored this website on an occasional basis for the last 4 years. I can promise you that I am not a troll, although given what I have seen here in my time, I am sure someone will accuse me of being one. Notwithstanding that, I will give you my honest opinion of Cooley from my own perspective of being a student and graduate from there. Many people on this website will continually bash Cooley because it is the "chic thing" to do. Although, I admit that Cooley brings a lot of this ridicule upon itself by its asinine "Ranking the Law Schools Ranking System." From my own non-scientific observations of Cooley student's feeling regarding these rankings, I would guess that 90%+ of the students think that these rankings are ridiculous and do far more harm to the school than help. Regardless, they are published every year (the reasons for which I could go on about, but I will save that for another day). Anyways, as far as Cooley goes for an education, I will say that I don't feel that my quality of education suffered at all there. I went to Cooley because I wanted to be a lawyer above all else and could see myself doing nothing else (I was very interested in criminal law). I lived in the Detroit area and did not want to move because I was in (at the time) a serious relationship (which ended a month into law school... bad decision in retrospect). Yes, I could have went to UDM or Wayne State, but Cooley offered me an 85% scholarship, and I could not justify going to those schools for near-sticker price given a marginal difference in reputation (if you live in Michigan, Cooley is very much considered on par with UDM and Wayne State, give or take a "big firm" or two).

Anyways, there was a couple of things I was very trepidatious about regarding Cooley when I started. First, it was the reputation on this website and others, e.g. Above the Law, etc. I had read all of the people bashing it and how I would have near zero hope of finding employment upon graduation. Second, I was also wary of Cooley's reputation of being a high acceptance/low graduation rate school. Third, I was wary of the perception that Cooley was a "degree mill" and the stigma of graduating from there, assuming I did. Despite these doubts, I decided to attend there hoping that if I did well enough I could always transfer out if I wanted to leave (PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do not go to ANY law school thinking this - most times you will not succeed in doing well enough to transfer). So I started in September of 2009 - and while I could probably write for hours of my different experiences at Cooley, for the most part it was a wonderful law school experience. I busted my ass my first semester and 4.0'd it, all-in-all I ended up in the top 10% of my class in my first year - I had the opportunity to transfer out, but chose not to do it for a myriad of reasons that basically boiled down to the fact that I figured out how to succeed there, and was very confident of my ability to graduate in the top 5% of my class. I did not want to take on the extra debt of a higher ranked school, when I had no interest in "big law" I wanted to be a prosecutor. I continued to bust my ass at Cooley, and by the time I graduated, I finished number 19 in my class of 519 (ridiculous class size, I know).

Despite what you may hear on this website, if you go to Cooley and you do very well, you will likely to find some kind of legal employment. I can only say this because I graduated in May took the Texas Bar in July and was hired at the first DA's Office I applied to in Texas, where I had 0 connections. I also have a number of friends who graduated in the top 25%. Two of these friends landed Federal Judicial Clerkship's in Eastern District of Michigan, a couple did Summer Associates at prestigious firms in the Detroit area, which offered them full-time positions upon the conclusions of their summers. Many of my friends have landed really good jobs at medium-size firms. Some of them have landed jobs with different federal/state agencies. I say all of this to say that it is not a guaranteed trip to your latest bar-tending gig upon graduation, as many on this website would have you to believe.

BUT here is my caveat, if you go to Cooley with the cavalier attitude that you will be handed a big firm associate position if you just graduate (as many a misguided law student has), that will not happen, you will most likely fail out in your first year, and if you do happen to graduate then good luck doing document review until a shitty personal injury firm decides to take a flier on you. You will have to bust your ass and outwork everyone around you and you will have to network the shit out of everyone you can. In my experience this is the most important part of law school (besides getting good grades), it really is all about "who you know" as far as getting a job after graduation. I know I say that after I got a job where I had 0 connections, but believe me that is the anomaly, the majority of the people I know who have gotten jobs got them because they interned/externed at a place and really blew their supervisor(s) socks off. I could keep rambling on about Cooley and my experiences but it is getting late and I have to get up early for work (which I love every minute of). So in closing I will give you my top three favorite and not so favorite things about Cooley.

Favorites: (1) The professors for the most part are awesome, most of them have had very successful careers prior to law school and they bring a very practical approach to law school, which believe me you will learn to appreciate. (2) The students at Cooley are not as competitive as other law schools, everyone (for the most part) is willing to share everything they have and in my experience there is a much greater sense of camaraderie there. (3) The legal education you will receive there is without a doubt top-notch, as much of a bad rap Cooley gets, I cannot emphasize the quality of education you will receive there. They pay and treat their professors very, very well. As such, they have very high standards when it comes to quality of education and who they hire. Now, I did have a couple of bad professors but for the most part, I do not feel my education suffered at all by attending there.

Non-Favorites: (1) The prevailing attitude at the top of the Cooley administration of "fuck everyone else and the ABA we are going to do whatever the hell we want." This really bothered me because I do think Cooley could do a lot of things to help their reputation in the law school community, but they really, honestly don't give that much of a shit. (2) Their scheduling: Cooley is set up on a trimester schedule, meaning most people go to school year round, so it makes it very difficult to do extracurricular legal work full time (although it can be done if you really want to do it). (3) The number of required courses you have to take to graduate. At Cooley, you will only be able to take a few electives (especially if you max out your externship hours) because there is a very high number of required courses that most schools do not make you take, i.e. fed admin, sales, secured transactions, bus orgs, wills/trusts, evidence, tax, etc. It is very frustrating because I was not able to take a lot of classes that I would have been able to at other law schools simply because I did not have the room to take them.

In sum, I will say that my opinion of Cooley is based upon my own experiences. You can talk to other people and they will give you a terrible review of their time there. I truly believe that if you decide to go to Cooley, it will be what you make it, but only you will be able to assess your circumstances and decide whether it is worth it for you. I am assuming you are employed already and you will be maintaining your employment. With that being the case, I can understand why you are considering Cooley (because of their weekend and night program that allows you to keep your job). If you decided to go to Cooley, I would NOT quit your job and try to keep your debt as low as possible - preferably 0 if you can handle it. It is not advisable to go to Cooley if you have to quit your job and get into a significant amount of debt - the legal market is just too saturated right now. But at the same time, if you are dead-set on becoming a lawyer no matter the cost, I understand (very, very BIG gamble). Be prepared, however, to lie awake many a sleepless night after perusing these and other forums worried about what you have gotten yourself into.

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
JCFindley
Posts: 1283
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: Cooley Law questions

Postby JCFindley » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:14 pm

awr20562009 wrote:
The Duck wrote:Anyone else notice all Cooley grads are brainwashed and seem to actually believe the crap they sell? I've met dozens and all spend the entire time talking about how good Cooley is.

Nor do they mention Cooley's (rumored) practice of forcing a huge percentage of their students out every year. The worst thing is not being an unemployed grad, it's not being a grad but having the debt and name on your résumé.

There have also been rumors of them withholding LoRs etc so their top students can transfer. If true, that's downright dirty.



Again, what I wrote is my opinion, you are free to have your own - as you clearly do. As far as them withholding LoR's I find this highly unlikely, I got into every school I applied to transfer to, and I had no difficulties getting a LoR, including one from the dean of my campus. But again, this was my own experience there. You may say I am brainwashed, and while I think I have a pretty realistic view of Cooley, I can't deny I did not have the cataclysmic experience as advertised on this forum; as such, that probably did come through a little bit in my post. All I can say is I graduated with a 3.80, got a job at the first place I interviewed (doing what I wanted to do), and I managed to maintain minimal debt. Needless to say, I'm pretty happy with the way my experience turned out.


I was curious so I read your whole first post....

If yall read it, he is not actually saying anything untrue at all. Basically, he busted his ass, had an aptitude for it AND figured out how to do well at LS. 19 out of 500 is not bad at all. Who you know is in fact as important as what you know especially for criminal law.

When it comes down to it, most of the TLS conventional wisdom is statistically based. For MOST people, softs don't matter which translates to softs don't matter. Most people at Cooly do not get JD required jobs so no one at Cooly gets jobs.... (Hyperbole of course.)

The fact remains though, that the OP can improve his/her LSAT where as being in the top 5% at Cooly is harder to do. Sure, there are people from Cooly that make it but if you can increase your chances of getting a job before ever stepping foot in an LS why not do that?

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15492
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Cooley Law questions

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:18 pm

awr20562009 wrote:I also have a number of friends who graduated in the top 25%. Two of these friends landed Federal Judicial Clerkship's in Eastern District of Michigan, a couple did Summer Associates at prestigious firms in the Detroit area, which offered them full-time positions upon the conclusions of their summers.


Cooley reported one grad in the classes of 2009-2011 getting a Federal Clerkship. One. Not one per year. One for all three years.

And it's clear that top 25% gives you no chance at a prestigious large firm job. Just a handful (out of nearly a thousand!) of students land these gigs.

http://www.cooley.edu/consumerinformation/#employment

User avatar
North
Posts: 4041
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: Cooley Law questions

Postby North » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:18 pm

This is all that matters:
Image

You had an 85% scholarship. Congrats on beating the odds, but it's irresponsible of you to post this argument in favor of Cooley when you know that people without an 85% scholarship might use it to validate a life-ruining decision.

awr20562009
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:04 am

Re: Cooley Law questions

Postby awr20562009 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:23 pm

JCFindley wrote:
awr20562009 wrote:
The Duck wrote:Anyone else notice all Cooley grads are brainwashed and seem to actually believe the crap they sell? I've met dozens and all spend the entire time talking about how good Cooley is.

Nor do they mention Cooley's (rumored) practice of forcing a huge percentage of their students out every year. The worst thing is not being an unemployed grad, it's not being a grad but having the debt and name on your résumé.

There have also been rumors of them withholding LoRs etc so their top students can transfer. If true, that's downright dirty.



Again, what I wrote is my opinion, you are free to have your own - as you clearly do. As far as them withholding LoR's I find this highly unlikely, I got into every school I applied to transfer to, and I had no difficulties getting a LoR, including one from the dean of my campus. But again, this was my own experience there. You may say I am brainwashed, and while I think I have a pretty realistic view of Cooley, I can't deny I did not have the cataclysmic experience as advertised on this forum; as such, that probably did come through a little bit in my post. All I can say is I graduated with a 3.80, got a job at the first place I interviewed (doing what I wanted to do), and I managed to maintain minimal debt. Needless to say, I'm pretty happy with the way my experience turned out.


I was curious so I read your whole first post....

If yall read it, he is not actually saying anything untrue at all. Basically, he busted his ass, had an aptitude for it AND figured out how to do well at LS. 19 out of 500 is not bad at all. Who you know is in fact as important as what you know especially for criminal law.

When it comes down to it, most of the TLS conventional wisdom is statistically based. For MOST people, softs don't matter which translates to softs don't matter. Most people at Cooly do not get JD required jobs so no one at Cooly gets jobs.... (Hyperbole of course.)

The fact remains though, that the OP can improve his/her LSAT where as being in the top 5% at Cooly is harder to do. Sure, there are people from Cooly that make it but if you can increase your chances of getting a job before ever stepping foot in an LS why not do that?


An actual reasonable person exists on TLS (to borrow your term, hyperbole of course). But, I can't say I disagree with anything you say, if you can get into another non-T3 school, then you will greatly increase your chances of getting a job by going there. I cannot and will not dispute this fact. Good luck to you, OP.

awr20562009
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:04 am

Re: Cooley Law questions

Postby awr20562009 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:24 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
awr20562009 wrote:I also have a number of friends who graduated in the top 25%. Two of these friends landed Federal Judicial Clerkship's in Eastern District of Michigan, a couple did Summer Associates at prestigious firms in the Detroit area, which offered them full-time positions upon the conclusions of their summers.


Cooley reported one grad in the classes of 2009-2011 getting a Federal Clerkship. One. Not one per year. One for all three years.

And it's clear that top 25% gives you no chance at a prestigious large firm job. Just a handful (out of nearly a thousand!) of students land these gigs.

http://www.cooley.edu/consumerinformation/#employment

Both federal clerkships were this year. And I when I said "prestigious," I meant prestigious as in the Detroit area.

awr20562009
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:04 am

Re: Cooley Law questions

Postby awr20562009 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:26 pm

North wrote:This is all that matters:
Image

You had an 85% scholarship. Congrats on beating the odds, but it's irresponsible of you to post this argument in favor of Cooley when you know that people without an 85% scholarship might use it to validate a life-ruining decision.


If you make a decision on law school based solely upon my hastily written assessment of Cooley, then you deserve every life-ruining result that may follow.

tim.janitor
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:12 am

Re: Cooley Law questions

Postby tim.janitor » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:27 pm

North wrote:This is all that matters:
Image

You had an 85% scholarship. Congrats on beating the odds, but it's irresponsible of you to post this argument in favor of Cooley when you know that people without an 85% scholarship might use it to validate a life-ruining decision.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 15492
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Cooley Law questions

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:29 pm

awr20562009 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
awr20562009 wrote:I also have a number of friends who graduated in the top 25%. Two of these friends landed Federal Judicial Clerkship's in Eastern District of Michigan, a couple did Summer Associates at prestigious firms in the Detroit area, which offered them full-time positions upon the conclusions of their summers.


Cooley reported one grad in the classes of 2009-2011 getting a Federal Clerkship. One. Not one per year. One for all three years.

And it's clear that top 25% gives you no chance at a prestigious large firm job. Just a handful (out of nearly a thousand!) of students land these gigs.

http://www.cooley.edu/consumerinformation/#employment

Both federal clerkships were this year. And I when I said "prestigious," I meant prestigious as in the Detroit area.


I'm sure the data for 2012 will back you up. But regardless of how you define prestigious one needs to be at least in the top 10% or so to end up in a law firm with more than ten attorneys.

awr20562009
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:04 am

Re: Cooley Law questions

Postby awr20562009 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:30 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
awr20562009 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
awr20562009 wrote:I also have a number of friends who graduated in the top 25%. Two of these friends landed Federal Judicial Clerkship's in Eastern District of Michigan, a couple did Summer Associates at prestigious firms in the Detroit area, which offered them full-time positions upon the conclusions of their summers.


Cooley reported one grad in the classes of 2009-2011 getting a Federal Clerkship. One. Not one per year. One for all three years.

And it's clear that top 25% gives you no chance at a prestigious large firm job. Just a handful (out of nearly a thousand!) of students land these gigs.

http://www.cooley.edu/consumerinformation/#employment

Both federal clerkships were this year. And I when I said "prestigious," I meant prestigious as in the Detroit area.


I'm sure the data for 2012 will back you up. But regardless of how you define prestigious one needs to be at least in the top 10% or so to end up in a law firm with more than ten attorneys.


Fair enough. I will say, however, that 10% is within 25%... ah fuck it. Sorry, it's the lawyer coming out in me.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Cooley Law questions

Postby dingbat » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:35 pm

awr20562009 wrote:
North wrote:This is all that matters:
Image

You had an 85% scholarship. Congrats on beating the odds, but it's irresponsible of you to post this argument in favor of Cooley when you know that people without an 85% scholarship might use it to validate a life-ruining decision.


If you make a decision on law school based solely upon my hastily written assessment of Cooley, then you deserve every life-ruining result that may follow.

I doubt the typical cooley matriculant has put in anywhere near as much thought as would be required to even find your hastily written assessment

awr20562009
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:04 am

Re: Cooley Law questions

Postby awr20562009 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:37 pm

dingbat wrote:
awr20562009 wrote:
North wrote:This is all that matters:
Image

You had an 85% scholarship. Congrats on beating the odds, but it's irresponsible of you to post this argument in favor of Cooley when you know that people without an 85% scholarship might use it to validate a life-ruining decision.


If you make a decision on law school based solely upon my hastily written assessment of Cooley, then you deserve every life-ruining result that may follow.

I doubt the typical cooley matriculant has put in anywhere near as much thought as would be required to even find your hastily written assessment


Then by consequence, you defeat North's point. Alas, all's well that ends well.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: renc56, vm223 and 4 guests