Indiana Tech Law School

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Re: Indiana Tech Law School

Postby 03152016 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:50 pm

BentleyLittle wrote:http://T14%20Paradise.blogspot.com/2014/01/hit-snooze-button-seven-students-at.html

Seven Students at Indiana Tech Law School Make the Worthless Dean’s List

Ah, guessing it's a word filter thing. http://third tierreality.blogspot.com/2014/01/hit-snooze-button-seven-students-at.html (remove the space)

They point out that the math doesn't add up. Initially ITTT claimed enrollment of 30, upped it to 33 as classes started, dropping to 28 enrolled currently. If seven students make the Dean's List, that means a class size of 35.

http://www.journalgazette.net/apps/pbcs ... 1002/LOCAL

This is even more confusing. The first article released announcing the Dean's List claims that four students made it. Which would lead us to believe that class size is actually 20. They apparently changed their mind and decided seven, not four students made the top 20%.

Interesting.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:19 am

Isn't dean's list usually top third? If so, than 7 would be a third of 20. Maybe it was originally top 20% (hence the four originally), and they upped it to top third realizing that it would help another three people find jobs or something. That would mean there's only 20 students left, of course. I find it hard to believe that all 28 that started the year there are still there, after all the nonsense they probably endured having hip hop law forced down their throats...

Postby 03152016 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:32 am

JCougar wrote:Isn't dean's list usually top third? If so, than 7 would be a third of 20. Maybe it was originally top 20% (hence the four originally), and they upped it to top third realizing that it would help another three people find jobs or something. That would mean there's only 20 students left, of course. I find it hard to believe that all 28 that started the year there are still there, after all the nonsense they probably endured having hip hop law forced down their throats...

Makes sense, but their website still has the 20% figure (--LinkRemoved--). The whole thing is bizarre -- they claim their class size is 28, which is a number that kind of makes sense due to attrition (they claimed 33 students at the start of the semester). But that doesn't square with seven of their students making up 20% of the class.

It almost seems like they got to seven by rounding 20% of the initial class size (33), even though the class has apparently shrunk by five students. So the Dean's List number is the top 20% of the initial class, drop-outs and all, as opposed to the actual top 20% of the current c/o 2016?

ETA: re-reading now, maybe their initial class size actually was 28? The Dean claimed it was 33 just before classes started. Maybe five people dropped out right before the start of the semester? If so, the numbers given are especially deceitful.

HarlandBassett

Postby HarlandBassett » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:18 am

Max324 wrote:
JCougar wrote:Isn't dean's list usually top third? If so, than 7 would be a third of 20. Maybe it was originally top 20% (hence the four originally), and they upped it to top third realizing that it would help another three people find jobs or something. That would mean there's only 20 students left, of course. I find it hard to believe that all 28 that started the year there are still there, after all the nonsense they probably endured having hip hop law forced down their throats...

Makes sense, but their website still has the 20% figure (--LinkRemoved--). The whole thing is bizarre -- they claim their class size is 28, which is a number that kind of makes sense due to attrition (they claimed 33 students at the start of the semester). But that doesn't square with seven of their students making up 20% of the class.

It almost seems like they got to seven by rounding 20% of the initial class size (33), even though the class has apparently shrunk by five students. So the Dean's List number is the top 20% of the initial class, drop-outs and all, as opposed to the actual top 20% of the current c/o 2016?

ETA: re-reading now, maybe their initial class size actually was 28? The Dean claimed it was 33 just before classes started. Maybe five people dropped out right before the start of the semester? If so, the numbers given are especially deceitful.

the answer is...who cares? this LS is a train-wreck and the canary in the coal mine. doesnt even pay off to overthink their numbers.

dredougpondcumings

Postby dredougpondcumings » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:15 am

Why does everyone hate Indiana Tech but folks are still debating the merits of UCI? Shouldn't TLS dismiss both as unacceptable, unaccredited schools?

North

Postby North » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:42 am

UCI did a couple non-shitty things at the outset, like comping tuition for the whole first class. It had some goodwill from respected jurists and Chemerinski.

Indiana Tech has the same FedLoan milking tuition as other TTTTs and andre dugas pond cummings.

Both are unnecessary, overpriced, and should be closed, just to different degrees.
Last edited by North on Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:43 am

dredougpondcumings wrote:Why does everyone hate Indiana Tech but folks are still debating the merits of UCI? Shouldn't TLS dismiss both as unacceptable, unaccredited schools?

Eh, UCI's employment figures are good enough so that even when they inevitably drop, going there on a full ride will be a defensible decision. I can't imagine someone not having a better option than a full ride at a school with a 146 median.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:15 pm

dredougpondcumings wrote:Why does everyone hate Indiana Tech but folks are still debating the merits of UCI? Shouldn't TLS dismiss both as unacceptable, unaccredited schools?

If I recall, UCI did get a lot of shit on here and on other blogs. It was just as stupid to start that vanity project. Last thing California needs is another law school...even another T1. Once their class size inevitably grows, they won't have the resources to focus on getting each individual such a decent job, and their employment numbers will look like shit just like all other non-Stanford/Berkeley California schools.

It's not as much of a laughingstock, though, because, as others have mentioned, the first class went for totally free and had tier 1 entering credentials. The second class went for heavily discounted tuition, too. If Indy Tech allowed its first class to attend for free, I doubt it would be getting so much scorn.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:35 pm

JCougar wrote:

If I recall, UCI did get a lot of shit on here and on other blogs. It was just as stupid to start that vanity project. Last thing California needs is another law school...even another T1. Once their class size inevitably grows, they won't have the resources to focus on getting each individual such a decent job, and their employment numbers will look like shit just like all other non-Stanford/Berkeley California schools.

It's not as much of a laughingstock, though, because, as others have mentioned, the first class went for totally free and had tier 1 entering credentials. The second class went for heavily discounted tuition, too. If Indy Tech allowed its first class to attend for free, I doubt it would be getting so much scorn.

IIRC, there was even a study produced that said California DID NOT need another law school, and they went ahead and started it anyway, because money.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:57 pm

timbs4339 wrote:IIRC, there was even a study produced that said California DID NOT need another law school, and they went ahead and started it anyway, because money Erwin Chemerinsky's ego.

fix'd

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:05 pm

UCI was a terrible idea, but they offered full-rides to their incoming class, they have Chemerinsky and some other respectable faculty members, and they have the backing of the California educational system. Not even close to the situation going on at Ivy Tech. It's apples and oranges.

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:08 pm

romothesavior wrote:UCI was a terrible idea, but they offered full-rides to their incoming class, they have Chemerinsky and some other respectable faculty members, and they have the backing of the California educational system. Not even close to the situation going on at Ivy Tech. It's apples and oranges.

Don't give Ivy Tech any ideas Romo, they might decide to start their own law schools too.

North

Postby North » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:16 pm

kyle010723 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:UCI was a terrible idea, but they offered full-rides to their incoming class, they have Chemerinsky and some other respectable faculty members, and they have the backing of the California educational system. Not even close to the situation going on at Ivy Tech. It's apples and oranges.

Don't give Ivy Tech any ideas Romo, they might decide to start their own law schools too.

Wow, that exists.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:18 pm

Bah, I get them confused sometimes.

BentleyLittle

Postby BentleyLittle » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:27 pm

pond cummings needs to call in favors like Chem is doing.

North

Postby North » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:14 pm

BentleyLittle wrote:pond cummings needs to call in favors like Chem is doing.

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:20 pm

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:44 pm

Mark is ready to take the bar because he takes his exams on the same software as people take the real bar exam on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUYo ... QIDM#t=179

You mean ExamSoft or Exam 4?

drawstring

Postby drawstring » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:06 am

Is there a TTT testimonial that doesn't feature some variation of 'our professors have actually practiced and so we get a pragmatic education that you don't if you're a T14 prole.'

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:20 am

jarofsoup wrote:

Mark is ready to take the bar because he takes his exams on the same software as people take the real bar exam on:

Where do you find this stuff? I mean, seriously? This video has 46 views. You had to work hard to find this gem.

If I hear the word "unique" applied to a law school one more time, I swear to God.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:43 am

drawstring wrote:Is there a TTT testimonial that doesn't feature some variation of 'our professors have actually practiced and so we get a pragmatic education that you don't if you're a T14 prole.'

Going to a top school kinda sucks. I have had 2 rhode scholars and 3 former supreme clerks as professors. I mean if I could just have a professor that worked at SF Legal Aid it would do me a lot of good.

BentleyLittle

Postby BentleyLittle » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:59 am

I wonder what CSL's LST score would look like?

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:38 am

jarofsoup wrote:
drawstring wrote:Is there a TTT testimonial that doesn't feature some variation of 'our professors have actually practiced and so we get a pragmatic education that you don't if you're a T14 prole.'

Going to a top school kinda sucks. I have had 2 rhode scholars and 3 former supreme clerks as professors. I mean if I could just have a professor that worked at SF Legal Aid it would do me a lot of good.

Doesn't every school have adjuncts, though? Especially if your'e taking something like employment discrimination or anything that's plaintiff-side work, they tend to be real practitioners (at least at my school).

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:54 am

It'd be like if CCs had 4 year degrees and sold themselves over typical universities as having many professors who are outside education and in other types of jobs. It'd still probably be way cheaper though than typical universities, so the analogy only goes so far.

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:17 am

Cicero76 wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:

Where do you find this stuff? I mean, seriously? This video has 46 views. You had to work hard to find this gem.

If I hear the word "unique" applied to a law school one more time, I swear to God.

CSL sent me an email with a link to the testimonials.

My favorite is the 70-year-old guy who said he went to California School of Law bc some people might confuse it with Berkeley. Like, he really said that.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”