Indiana Tech Law School

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
kyle010723

Re: Indiana Tech Law School

Postby kyle010723 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:05 am

I have the utmost respect for Chief Judge Easterbrook, but I am somewhat disappointed that he associated his good name with this school. His speech focused on legal education reform, but did not address how students from IN Tech will find jobs or pay back debts. Maybe a respected school like UChi can afford to be "innovative," but certainly not a new unproven school.

Fast forward to about 10 mins in to watch Judge Easterbrook's speech.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:56 pm

kyle010723 wrote:I have the utmost respect for Chief Judge Easterbrook, but I am somewhat disappointed that he associated his good name with this school. His speech focused on legal education reform, but did not address how students from IN Tech will find jobs or pay back debts. Maybe a respected school like UChi can afford to be "innovative," but certainly not a new unproven school.

I wonder what it would take to get him to hire an Indy Tech student as a law clerk.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:43 am

timbs4339 wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:I have the utmost respect for Chief Judge Easterbrook, but I am somewhat disappointed that he associated his good name with this school. His speech focused on legal education reform, but did not address how students from IN Tech will find jobs or pay back debts. Maybe a respected school like UChi can afford to be "innovative," but certainly not a new unproven school.

I wonder what it would take to get him to hire an Indy Tech student as a law clerk.

Impossible since Easterbrook only hires from UChicago iirc

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:52 pm

TigerDude wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:pond

cummings

LOL

he's related to e.e.?

Yes. I forget how, but he is.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:01 pm

Also, I feel like a scumbag, but I'd teach there if they paid me. Sell my soul for dat teaching job.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:24 am

TTRansfer wrote:Also, I feel like a scumbag, but I'd teach there if they paid me. Sell my soul for dat teaching job.

My 1L year we had a professor who repeatedly told us to drop out and that there weren't enough jobs and that law was a miserable profession. I was so angry with him at the time because I thought, I'm already too invested in this and he should've either said this before we arrived or kept his mouth shut. But now I really respect what he tried to do.

My point is, I'd take a job at Indiana Tech too, but I'd be just like my old professor and just try to be honest with the students about their future.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:19 am

cinephile wrote:
TTRansfer wrote:Also, I feel like a scumbag, but I'd teach there if they paid me. Sell my soul for dat teaching job.

My 1L year we had a professor who repeatedly told us to drop out and that there weren't enough jobs and that law was a miserable profession. I was so angry with him at the time because I thought, I'm already too invested in this and he should've either said this before we arrived or kept his mouth shut. But now I really respect what he tried to do.

My point is, I'd take a job at Indiana Tech too, but I'd be just like my old professor and just try to be honest with the students about their future.

I would take a job and Indiana Tech too. However, I would have to drink a lot to mask the shame and guilt that I felt. I would also remove all capitalization from my name.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:02 am

Harvard and Yale will look to Indiana Tech for inspiration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q8k2X1_bQM

Cicero76

Postby Cicero76 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:12 am

"There are some great institutions that teach law--Harvard, Yale, Stanford, USC..."

Bahahha HYSU? Let's get that to stick.

I love how he says Indiana Tech law school will change the paradigm for those elite schools that "look down a bit" on "collaborative learning" like ITSL. Lol @HYS "moving in that direction."

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:32 am

jarofsoup wrote:Harvard and Yale will look to Indiana Tech for inspiration.

Perhaps I will believe him once Kirkland hire one student from them.

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:02 pm

I like how he talks about how there are entrepreneurial law jobs available for young lawyers if they target lower income clients and they're willing to "be creative". I assume by "be creative" he means "make less than your student loan payments".

But got forbid law schools like Indiana Tech "be creative" by making law school affordable. That would just be stupid.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:02 pm

jarofsoup wrote:
I would take a job and Indiana Tech too. However, I would have to drink a lot to mask the shame and guilt that I felt. I would also remove all capitalization from my name.

Do you think that is what happened?

:lol:

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:21 pm

jingosaur wrote:

I like how he talks about how there are entrepreneurial law jobs available for young lawyers if they target lower income clients and they're willing to "be creative". I assume by "be creative" he means "make less than your student loan payments".

But got forbid law schools like Indiana Tech "be creative" by making law school affordable. That would just be stupid.

Seriously, why couldn't a law school charge half the cost? The primary expense is salaries, and I'd imagine there is a glut of credentialed candidates who would jump at a chance to break into academia, even at half the salary.

didntgo89072014

Postby didntgo89072014 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:30 pm

danquayle wrote:
jingosaur wrote:

Seriously, why couldn't a law school charge half the cost? The primary expense is salaries, and I'd imagine there is a glut of credentialed candidates who would jump at a chance to break into academia, even at half the salary.

Price signaling...high prices create the illusion of quality. Only since 2011 has there been any economic reason to freeze or lower prices. Before then, lowering nominal tuition probably would have depressed applicant numbers. Since then, most schools have lowered real tuition by issuing more scholarships. Regardless, nominal tuition continues to go up at all but a few schools.

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:50 pm

didntgo89072014 wrote:
danquayle wrote:
jingosaur wrote:

Price signaling...high prices create the illusion of quality. Only since 2011 has there been any economic reason to freeze or lower prices. Before then, lowering nominal tuition probably would have depressed applicant numbers. Since then, most schools have lowered real tuition by issuing more scholarships. Regardless, nominal tuition continues to go up at all but a few schools.

I agree with you, most schools are using scholarships as a marketing ploy. Students can convince themselves that a $20k scholarship off $40k tuition is a "good deal" versus paying sticker on a $20k tuition.

That said, what incentive does a school like Indiana Tech have to price signal. I would think they could market themselves as an affordable alternative to an informed customer. I didn't realize schools played that game when I applied, so I applied to a ton of schools simply because of their low tuition. But I wasn't exactly well-informed.

So I guess there's the rub: silly me thinking these schools are honest brokers. They're wagering on their students being poorly informed.
Last edited by danquayle on Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

didntgo89072014

Postby didntgo89072014 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:53 pm

Assuming law schools are altruistic/above normal corporate behavior is not really your fault. Everyone born between 1975 and 2000 has been fed the same line about higher education. Only recently have the universities been exposed as rational, profit-seeking economic actors, and the vast majority of people still haven't gotten the message.

Sidenote: University of Phoenix has a 26% loan default rate and a 17% graduation rate. Their enrollment peaked in 2010. Seems unbelievable but it's true.
Last edited by didntgo89072014 on Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:55 pm

danquayle wrote:That said, what incentive does a school like Indiana Tech have to price signal. I would think they could market themselves as an affordable alternative to an informed customer. I didn't realize schools played that game when I applied, so I applied to a ton of schools simply because of their low tuition. But I wasn't exactly well-informed.

So I guess there's the rub: silly me thinking these schools are honest brokers. They're wagering on their students being poorly informed.

The incentive is obvious- the more money they bring in, the more money there is to spend on salaries.

There may be some regulatory issues going on- high tuition serves as a proxy for the type of "quality" legal education that the ABA mandates before you can get accreditation. But the real reason is that you want to attract more students, bring in more money, and build a profitable business. There's nothing to be earned from saying "we're going to be a school for people who want to work in the Fort Wayne region to get a cheap education."

didntgo89072014 wrote:Assuming law schools are altruistic/above normal corporate behavior is not really your fault. Everyone born between 1975 and 2000 has been fed the same line about higher education. Only recently have the universities been exposed as rational, profit-seeking economic actors, and the vast majority of people still haven't gotten the message.

This.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:09 pm

I imagine that if pressed the Indy Tech administration would brag that at just $29,500 per year their school is much more affordable than many other law schools.

didntgo89072014

Postby didntgo89072014 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:18 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:I imagine that if pressed the Indy Tech administration would brag that at just $29,500 per year their school is much more affordable than many other law schools.

They actually have been bragging about their merit scholarships.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:58 pm

I'm not going to lie- if pond cummings wrote an autobiography, I would buy it and read it

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:27 pm

BigZuck wrote:I'm not going to lie- if pond cummings wrote an autobiography, I would buy it and read it

I want to sit in on the Hip Hop and the Constitution course.

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:39 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
BigZuck wrote:I'm not going to lie- if pond cummings wrote an autobiography, I would buy it and read it

Don't you mean the hip hop and the constitution course?

nothingtosee

Postby nothingtosee » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:48 pm

Winston1984 wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:

On his site he has all sorts of strange capitalization choices. He capitalizes Dean. He doesn't capitalize any of his names even when they begin a sentence. He does capitalize the names of his courses. He does capitalize his books. He does spell eyez with a z.

Winston1984

Postby Winston1984 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:52 pm

nothingtosee wrote:
Winston1984 wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:

On his site he has all sorts of strange capitalization choices. He capitalizes Dean. He doesn't capitalize any of his names even when they begin a sentence. He does capitalize the names of his courses. He does capitalize his books. He does spell eyez with a z.

He will go down as one of the greatest trolls in legal academia.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:13 pm

Who needs scam blogs when this profession virtually makes fun of itself on a daily basis?

How did this guy make it into Kirkland & Ellis? How could anyone take him seriously?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”