Indiana Tech Law School

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
untar614

Re: Indiana Tech Law School

Postby untar614 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:15 am

I really wanna see their admissions stats. If they can't even get a third of what they wanted, they have to really be scraping the bottom of the barrel of applicants. I wouldn't be surprised if they'd accept a 2.0/120.

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:00 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
sublime wrote:Irvine had a ton of money (they offered full rides to the entire first class), great facilities, a "superstar professor" as a dean, and is well respected academically in other fields, which certainly helps. These are all things Indiana Tech does not have.

Man, you're pretty uninformed.

Indiana Tech's law building is new and state-of-the-art. With 70,000 square feet for only 22 entering students (almost 3,200 square feet per capita), the school will no doubt begin its existence among elite company in the Cooley law school rankings.

Furthermore, renowned scholar of hip hop law andré douglas pond cummings is a dean at Tech. Ergo, Tech has a superstar professor -- with four uncapitalized names -- as a dean. Feel free to visit this website for confirmation:

andré douglas pond cummings wrote:Welcome to the official website of Professor andré douglas pond cummings. Within, you will find links and connections to all of the activities engaged by this dynamic scholar. This greetings/introduction page will serve to showcase the latest insights and work of Professor cummings as he seeks to challenge the status quo and work toward equality and social justice. According to renowned public intellectual Dr. Cornel West, Professor cummings scholarly "reputation goes far beyond . . . the nation, and is heard in every corner of the globe, wrestling with legacies of legal thinking on one hand and popular culture on the other."

ImageImage

Some excerpts from the works of this renowned scholar:

andré douglas pond cummings, Thug Life: Hip-Hop’s Curious Relationship with Criminal Justice, 50 Santa Clara L. Rev. 515, 525 (2010) wrote:"At bottom, as hip hop has become the voice of a generation, and recognizing the sizeable global footprint that hip hop has created, two things seem clear: first, as the hip hop generation grows up, some of its members will become future leaders, including legislators, educators, lawyers, scholars and philosophers; and second, these leaders and educators will bring with them into their leadership roles the images, lessons and stark critiques that accompany all authentic members of this generation. As hip hop is truly impacting an emerging generation of leaders and scholars, then society should pay very close attention to the messages and lessons that hip hop has taught and continues to teach its generation."

andré douglas pond cummings, A Furious Kinship: Critical Race Theory and the Hip Hop Nation, 48 U. Louisville Law Rev. 499 (2010) wrote:"Richard Delgado shares a potent kinship with Ice Cube and the 'dangerous' hip-hop group N.W.A. When Professor Delgado published The Imperial Scholar, its impact was a literary shot across the bow of the traditional legal academy in its aggressive repudiation of entrenched white male civil rights legal scholarship. Like a hand grenade launched into the upper reaches of the ivory tower, Delgado authored a fiery critique that condemned famed civil rights scholars for their own racism and failure to garner, appreciate, or represent the views of the very oppressed minority groups on whose behalf these scholars purported to advocate.”

“Kimberlé Crenshaw and Queen Latifah, both powerful African American women, descended upon the legal academy and the hip-hop community like bolts of lightning—intense, powerful, and fierce.”

“Professor Neil Gotanda and hip-hop superstar Tupac Shakur share a genuine kinship wherein both men released enormously important and groundbreaking pieces in the 1990s....Professor Gotanda and Tupac are best situated in similarity as eloquent flamethrowers. The flames of CRT and hip hop had been lighted, imaginations across the world had been sparked, and Gotanda and Tupac fueled their respective movements by seizing their genres and delivering astonishing messages to the primed masses.”

“Just as Professor Butler seems poised to accept the torch from Derrick Bell and other CRT pioneers, Talib Kweli appears to have accepted the socially conscious hip-hop torch from socially conscious hip-hop pioneers Chuck D and KRS-One.”

“Just as Professor Carbado seems poised to share the torch with Professors Gotanda, Delgado, Harris, and other CRT pioneers, hip-hop superstar Common appears to have accepted the socially conscious hip-hop torch from Ice Cube and Tupac Shakur. Pushing forward a progressive political message for the next generation of hip-hop aficionados, Professor Carbado, as a next-generation CRT scholar, shares much with Common.”

"As Professor Perry stands ready to accept the torch from Kimberlé Crenshaw and other notable female CRT founders, hip-hop icon Lauryn Hill burst upon the twenty-first century hip-hop scene full of political and social relevance."

I almost spit out my coffee all over my laptop while reading this post. Thank you! :D

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:13 am

I am not exaggerating when I say that I would not hire someone who submitted a resume with four uncapitalized names at my local grocery store, much less at fucking Kirkland and Ellis.

I suppose the nicest thing I could say about andre douglas pond cummings is that I literally could not troll Indiana Tech better than that. If I were making someone up to exaggerate how terrible their faculty would be for comedic effect, I'd say to myself, "I'll give him a law degree and an undergrad degree from the two most different places I can possibly think of, the both of which someone couldn't possibly be an alumnus. How about he gets his undergrad degree at BYU and then goes to Howard? I'll make him sound like he's in that kind of 'definitely white but with legit black credentials' thing going on, like Eminem or Jason Kidd. And then I'll have him be an expert at something a BYU student would think a Howard law student studies. I've got it--he'll be a hip-hop professor! And I'll give him some experience at a good firm like Kirkland and Ellis just to add some WTF to the whole thing--it'll let everyone assume some recruiter got lazy during the boom years and just hired him sight unseen because he assumed a Howard grad named andre douglas pond cummings was the last guy to fill their diversity quota for the year. And just for the fuck of it, he won't capitalize any of his names! Ha ha, this is going to be so funny! Everyone is going to quickly realize this is a joke and couldn't possibly be an accurate description of a real person!"

The CV of andre douglas pond cummings also contains the following interesting tidbits:

-ADPC's law review articles are actually titled with hip-hop quotes, making for interestingly-titled articles like “Never Let Me Slip ‘Cause If I Slip Then I’m Slippin’’”: California’s Paranoid Slide From Bakke to Proposition 209"
-ADPC is a board member of Shortfuze Records.
-ADPC has experience at the Pro Surf and Volleyball Championships.
-ADPC would do anything for love, but he won't do that.

I only made one of those up.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:40 am

Damn, I want a job where I pick a person and compare them to a hip hop legend simply by matching decade and a random list of adjectives.

Could this guy be any worse? How does he have a job?

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:40 am

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
-adpc's law review articles are actually titled with hip-hop quotes, making for interestingly-titled articles like “Never Let Me Slip ‘Cause If I Slip Then I’m Slippin’’”: California’s Paranoid Slide From Bakke to Proposition 209"
-adpc is a board member of Shortfuze Records.
-adpc has experience at the Pro Surf and Volleyball Championships.
-adpc would do anything for love, but he won't do that.

FTFY

North

Postby North » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:08 pm

:lol:

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:25 pm

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:31 pm

I think this guy should become a meme of sorts

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:57 pm

( graduates from BYU)
(goes to Howard Law School)

(Works at a biglaw firm)
(Studies hip- hop and the law)

(Gets job as unaccredited law school dean)
(Only 22 students attend)

His entire existence is a meme.
Part of me wants to believe he is a flame.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:25 pm

I'm going to take a moment to remind all of you to remember the age-old tautology: hateth not the player; hateth the game.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:18 pm

timbs4339 wrote:I'm going to take a moment to remind all of you to remember the age-old tautology: hateth not the player; hateth the game.

I don't hate adpc at all, id like to meet the guy

HarlandBassett

Postby HarlandBassett » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:06 am

we have to roast this piece of shit LS.

Nation's Newest Law School Prepares to Open its Doors

Karen Sloan

The National Law Journal

2013-08-20 16:32:24.0

The country’s newest law school is welcoming its inaugural class of students. Orientation at the Indiana Tech Law School kicks off on Wednesday, when the students will show up at a new $15 million building on the university’s Fort Wayne campus.

Administrators at the private college, with 11 satellite campuses around the state, announced plans to open a new law school in May 2011. The National Law Journal spoke with founding dean Peter Alexander, who previously served as dean of the Southern Illinois University School of Law. His answers have been edited for length.

NLJ: How does it feel to know that your first students will show up tomorrow, after all this planning?

Peter Alexander: It’s surreal—that is that word that has come to mind all day. We’re in a brand new building, which is beautiful. Students are starting to arrive, and it’s hard to imagine that this began as an idea—a document I created. It’s humbling.

NLJ: How many students will arrive for orientation tomorrow?

Alexander: I still don’t know. Thirty-two have paid both the deposits that were required to hold their seats, so we know we have 32. As I walked into my office this afternoon, I received notice from the admissions office that there is another student whose application is complete and who expects to start tomorrow if we admit him today. We’ll take him.

NLJ: Obviously you didn’t hit the initial goal of 100 students.

Alexander: One hundred was our first goal. I think we did not fully appreciate how hard it is to market a school that must open without accreditation. All new law schools open unaccredited, and the ABA doesn’t even come to inspect you until you’ve been open a year. I think we just thought there would be more people willing to take that chance. In this climate, applications are down overall and people are probably not into taking that much of a risk.

NLJ: The founding of the school has garnered a lot of criticism since it was announced back in 2011 from those who say Indiana doesn’t need another law school. I imagine those same critics see your enrollment figure as proof that they were right. What does your enrollment this year mean for the long-term viability of the school?

Alexander: Our goal has shifted through this process to 350 students in five years, and I think the fact that there are 30 or more students willing to take a chance on this type of education even before we are accredited suggests we have a product that has some interest. I really do expect that we will be a competitive law school, in terms of our enrollment, in the next year or two.

NLJ: That timeline seems pretty short given where you’re starting.

Alexander: I served on the admissions committee this year. I heard from and talked to a lot of applicants. The overwhelming comment from people who decided not to accept our offer or from people who decided not to apply to us was that we were not accredited. Very few people—I can probably count them on one hand—said, “I don’t like your program.” In fact, I heard the opposite. “You’re offering exactly what I want. I want a legal education that blends theory and practice.” I think we have the right focus, but I think we need to become an established school and to remove that impediment.

NLJ: What is the profile of your students?

Alexander: I don’t know the demographics per se, but I know the students coming in are older. I know the national average age for law schools is in the mid-20s, and our median age will be 33, which is significantly higher than most law schools. I think we are more from outside of Indiana than inside Indiana, though it is pretty close to 50/50. We have a student from California and one from New York City. We have at least three students from Chicago and one from Ghana, in Africa. We are more male than female, and between 10 and 20 percent of this group are students of color.

NLJ: If your median age is 33, I assume you’re getting quite a few career-changers.

Alexander: Career-changers and people from northeast Indiana or northwest Ohio who always wanted to go to law school but were looking for the right opportunity nearby. We fulfill that niche for them.

NLJ: What are the most important things that need to happen to get the school to where you envision it?

Alexander: The most important thing is accreditation. We have a curriculum and educational program that I think is attractive to students. We have the support of our university and cooperation and true partnerships with the bench and bar here in Fort Wayne. Every one of our students has a judge or lawyer mentor who will be with them all three years. We have 110 externships placement sites already and our students won’t even be eligible to do them until the second year. The one big piece is to get our name out to more people as a place that they should seriously consider as they look at law schools. Accreditation is key to that.

NLJ: How is your curriculum and program different from other law schools’?

Alexander: The short version is that it is a law school that relies on experiential and collaborative learning to prepare students for the realities and practice of law as well as the theory and history of law. In addition, we spend more time on ethics and professionalism training than any other law school in the country.

NLJ: What advice do you have for others in the position of building a law school from the ground up?

Alexander: One of my dear friends is actually doing that—Ellen Pryor is the founding associate dean of the University of North Texas Dallas College of Law, and their school opens next year. I’ve had many conversations with her. They are facing some of the same criticisms and obstacles we faced. I think you need to have a unique approach to legal education, because the last thing we need is one more cookie-cutter law school. You have to have a reason to start a law school: Ours was to change the way we teach law students, and I think North Texas is going to do something similar.

The second thing is you have to have a thick skin. There are people in the blogosphere who are vicious with their comments. It allows them to be anonymous and it shows the darker side of our profession. I use them as Exhibit A for the need for more professionalism and ethics training. There’s no doubt that it’s hurtful to read things that suggest the faculty members are just trying to steal student’s money and that the school has no soul. In one case, we had a blogger who took off after one of our students and commented about the student for making this choice. You just have to have a thick skin because, unfortunately, there are people out there who do not have all the facts and have not done their homework but have very strong opinions.

Redfactor

Postby Redfactor » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:17 am

Last edited by Redfactor on Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J-e-L-L-o

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:02 am

good lord

--LinkRemoved--

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:31 am

there is another student whose application is complete and who expects to start tomorrow if we admit him today. We’ll take him.

Not a morality competition.

I can probably count them on one hand—said, “I don’t like your program.”

Mr. Alexander, I don't like your program.

Ellen Pryor is the founding associate dean of the University of North Texas Dallas College of Law, and their school opens next year. I’ve had many conversations with her. They are facing some of the same criticisms and obstacles we faced.

Wait until we start a thread on this Law School. Their name doesn't even make sense gramatically.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:05 am

jingosaur wrote:Mr. Alexander, I don't like your program.

I think I could set aside an hour to have a Mormon dude explain hip hop jurors to me.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:06 pm

I see the local prosecutor endorses the school's mission

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:25 pm

Otunga wrote:I see the local prosecutor endorses the school's mission

Yeah, who doesn't want 31 people to work unpaid internships for them?

M458

Postby M458 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:57 pm

J-e-L-L-o wrote:good lord

--LinkRemoved--

Hope there's a follow-up event that will help people understand the rural juror.

mewalke1

Postby mewalke1 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:20 am

"We'll take him"

Well that about sums it up

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:42 am

HarlandBassett wrote:we have to roast this piece of shit LS.

Students are starting to arrive, and it’s hard to imagine that this began as an idea—a document I created. It’s humbling.

Normally people say "it's humbling" when they achieve something because it's not socially acceptable to say "I guess I really am better than everyone else," but in this case I think the experience has truly been humbling for the dean. You created a law school based on a plan you made, and almost no one wanted to go.

HarlandBassett wrote:
I think we are more from outside of Indiana than inside Indiana, though it is pretty close to 50/50. We have a student from California and one from New York City.

People who go out of state, so they can attend an unaccredited law school in Fort Wayne... why? WHYYY???

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:16 pm

I am interested to see the class profile. 150 median, over or under? Will it at least be better than Cooley?

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:18 pm

J-e-L-L-o wrote:good lord

--LinkRemoved--

Indiana TTTTech wrote:Understanding the Hip-Hop Juror

Date posted: August 10, 2013

This program will help you understand the younger generation of jurors who will be appearing in your courtrooms—the “hip-hop generation.”

:lol: :lol: :lol:

F@#$ Indiana TTTTech. This is the most TTTT place I've ever read about.

Edit: Prediction: Median LSAT 145. It's going to fold in 2 years.
Last edited by ManoftheHour on Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:41 pm

Link for 145 median?

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:48 pm

jingosaur wrote:Link for 145 median?

Sorry, it was a prediction. Wasn't clear in my post.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”