Indiana Tech Law School Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
timbs4339

Gold

Re: Indiana Tech Law School

Post by timbs4339 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:10 am

Making local news as well

--LinkRemoved--
Alexander says Indiana Tech's school will stand out from other law schools because the curriculum will focus on legal ethics in the first year -- something he says other law schools do not do.
JFC. What the hell is he talking about?

ze2151

Bronze

Post by ze2151 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:03 am

i wouldn't have said this until today... but i don't know if indy tech law will survive this. it depends if the pressure stays on. if the scam movement puts all its energy toward submarining this one school, who knows. but if indy tech falls off the front page, it'll survive because there are at least 100 people willing to go there right now.

WanderingPondering

Bronze

Post by WanderingPondering » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:27 am

ze2151 wrote:i wouldn't have said this until today... but i don't know if indy tech law will survive this. it depends if the pressure stays on. if the scam movement puts all its energy toward submarining this one school, who knows. but if indy tech falls off the front page, it'll survive because there are at least 100 people willing to go there right now.
It would be TLS's greatest win yet

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:09 am

Wow just found out Tech is a private school.

R86

Bronze

Post by R86 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:23 am

WanderingPondering wrote:
ze2151 wrote:i wouldn't have said this until today... but i don't know if indy tech law will survive this. it depends if the pressure stays on. if the scam movement puts all its energy toward submarining this one school, who knows. but if indy tech falls off the front page, it'll survive because there are at least 100 people willing to go there right now.
TLS has done a lot of great things even since I've been here. Dave Hall being outed was pretty good. Stopping a law school from being opened would top the list, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

R86

Bronze

Post by R86 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:25 am

paradox wrote:WOW ..... If you question the influence of this website then take a moment to read the LINKED news article which appeared in yesterday's (October 9, 2012) edition of the Wall Street Journal entitled "A Fifth Law School in Indiana?" which cites this very thread and comments in this thread in its article regarding Indiana Tech Law School (a/k/a "Teck").

LINK
http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2012/10/09/a-f ... n-indiana/
Prospective students have been critical of the school in an online discussion at top-law-schools.com. “A pulse is all that is required” (for admission),” wrote one person. “Indiana has too many law schools,” wrote another.
Congrats Samara (and random new poster with nondescript username)!

North

Gold

Post by North » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:29 am

timbs4339 wrote:Wow just found out Tech is a private school.
I didn't think it was possible, but knowing that actually makes this bottom feeding, unaccredited cesspool far more disgusting.

On a happier note, TLS is getting ACTIVIST.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:12 am

R86 wrote:
paradox wrote:WOW ..... If you question the influence of this website then take a moment to read the LINKED news article which appeared in yesterday's (October 9, 2012) edition of the Wall Street Journal entitled "A Fifth Law School in Indiana?" which cites this very thread and comments in this thread in its article regarding Indiana Tech Law School (a/k/a "Teck").

LINK
http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2012/10/09/a-f ... n-indiana/
Prospective students have been critical of the school in an online discussion at top-law-schools.com. “A pulse is all that is required” (for admission),” wrote one person. “Indiana has too many law schools,” wrote another.
Congrats Samara (and random new poster with nondescript username)!
:mrgreen:

facile princeps

Bronze

Post by facile princeps » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:15 am

WanderingPondering wrote:So earlier I mentioned that I emailed the Dean asking him if he would come back and answer questions. I think he wanted me to share his response with the rest of TLS.

Mr. Sxxxxxxx,

Thank you for the invitation to respond to questions on the TLS site. When I logged on the other evening, it was to clear up misconceptions that people had about our school and because the discussion was civil and respectful. When I logged on today to try and address the questions as you suggested, I read the thread. The tone has changed; I would describe it as venomous and uncivil. Sadly, we are not that kind of law school and I am not that kind of attorney so I won’t be posting to the thread any longer.

If you or any of your colleagues has a question about our program and the truth about our tuition (which does not include merit-based scholarships, which we have), or any other issue, I renew my invitation to all of you to email me at this address.

Best wishes to you as you make the very difficult decision about where to attend law school.

Yours truly,

Peter Alexander

Peter C. Alexander
Dean and Professor of Law
You know what? We should start a thread and invite him to have a 'civil' discussion of the viability of his prospective graduates' careers. I would really love to hear how creative he would get in defending his business.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:19 am

North wrote:
I didn't think it was possible, but knowing that actually makes this bottom feeding, unaccredited cesspool far more disgusting.
It shouldn't. There are plenty of public schools with terrible employment prospects charging ungodly amounts of tuition and paying obscene salaries to professors and administrators. Let's not let those guys off the hook.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:22 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
North wrote:
It shouldn't. There are plenty of public schools with terrible employment prospects charging ungodly amounts of tuition and paying obscene salaries to professors and administrators. Let's not let those guys off the hook.
It's worse when it's a public school because they are supposed to have an obligation to the public interest. Private schools only exist to benefit their owners or (for non-profits) stated "charitable" goals, which don't have to align with the public interest.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:23 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
North wrote:
+1

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:26 am

WanderingPondering wrote:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:40 am

Samara wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
North wrote:
It's worse when it's a public school because they are supposed to have an obligation to the public interest. Private schools only exist to benefit their owners or (for non-profits) stated "charitable" goals, which don't have to align with the public interest.
This is basically a for-profit school. Their President was just named "CEO of the year" for chrissake.

http://www.journalgazette.net/article/2 ... 26/LOCAL04

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:47 am

timbs4339 wrote: This is basically a for-profit school. Their President was just named "CEO of the year" for chrissake.
We also need to stop paying attention to the distinction between non-profit and for-profit. From a student's perspective it makes absolutely no difference. E. Gordon Gee's bowtie budget says hello.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/2 ... de=1029080

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:05 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
timbs4339 wrote: This is basically a for-profit school. Their President was just named "CEO of the year" for chrissake.
We also need to stop paying attention to the distinction between non-profit and for-profit. From a student's perspective it makes absolutely no difference. E. Gordon Gee's bowtie budget says hello.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/2 ... de=1029080
True, but I still make a distinction. It goes back to the old dichotomy between liars and dummies.

North

Gold

Post by North » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:14 pm

facile princeps wrote:You know what? We should start a thread and invite him to have a 'civil' discussion of the viability of his prospective graduates' careers. I would really love to hear how creative he would get in defending his business.
A good idea. We could have a couple of our most informed TLSer's make our case and keep the discussion 100% civil so the Dean would have nothing to point at and flutter away. We could forward the content to newspapers, blogs, and the like. It would be a TLService to our profession and those 100 students Tech is fishing for.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:21 pm

North wrote:
facile princeps wrote:You know what? We should start a thread and invite him to have a 'civil' discussion of the viability of his prospective graduates' careers. I would really love to hear how creative he would get in defending his business.
A good idea. We could have a couple of our most informed TLSer's make our case and keep the discussion 100% civil so the Dean would have nothing to point at and flutter away. We could forward the content to newspapers, blogs, and the like. It would be a TLService to our profession and those 100 students Tech is fishing for.
Great idea. You'd have to limit it to 1 v. 1. Maybe 1 v. an account we created to represent our best questions and responses. We could have a separate thread were we ferreted out the good ideas and edited the posts, then take the finished product and post it on the debate page. No way this dood agrees to this, but it's fun to think about.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:30 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:
North wrote:
Great idea. You'd have to limit it to 1 v. 1. Maybe 1 v. an account we created to represent our best questions and responses. We could have a separate thread were we ferreted out the good ideas and edited the posts, then take the finished product and post it on the debate page. No way this dood agrees to this, but it's fun to think about.
Just making the offer would probably draw another WSJ blog post or BI story.

howell

Silver

Post by howell » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:31 pm

Campos should offer to debate him.

facile princeps

Bronze

Post by facile princeps » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:36 pm

North wrote:
Indeed. The more informed TLSers would be able to entertain a civil debate that would be well worth it for the naive among us. I say someone should start that thread (preferably the person that emailed him) and invite him to a vitriol-free, civil environment to discuss the merits of his proposed institution. Professor Campos would probably join in, too. We shouldn't give them the easy way out.

ETA: Mods could be, well, moderators to the debate.
Last edited by facile princeps on Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

North

Gold

Post by North » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:37 pm

howell wrote:Campos should offer to debate him.
I disagree. I like Campos and what he does, but TLS and its members represent the future of our profession. We have the greatest stakes in this debate and should be the ones to have it.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:39 pm

North wrote:
I disagree. I like Campos and what he does, but TLS and its members represent the future of our profession. We have the greatest stakes in this debate and should be the ones to have it.
+1

Plus Campos is too polarizing. I like him, but he comes with baggage.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:42 pm

North wrote:
Not to mention the dean didn't seem too fond of Campos's murder analogy. The same "vitriol" he found ITT.

WanderingPondering

Bronze

Post by WanderingPondering » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:49 pm

facile princeps wrote: Indeed. The more informed TLSers would be able to entertain a civil debate that would be well worth it for the naive among us. I say someone should start that thread (preferably the person that emailed him) and invite him to a vitriol-free, civil environment to discuss the merits of his proposed institution.
I was the poster who emailed him before, and would gladly follow up with him to help organize this.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”