Indiana Tech Law School Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cavalier1138

Re: Indiana Tech Law School

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:03 am

blueapple wrote:A couple of students interviewed here: http://www.wfyi.org/news/articles/india ... ents-react
“When you make so many promises that are not substantial, and they sound so real, so real even the faculty and deans that I spoke to believed it, it’s really just heartbreaking,” she said. “You can’t describe it in any other way.”
No, I imagine that would be hard to describe another way when your contracts course was at Indiana Tech.

I obviously blame the schools for their predatory practices, but there has to be some level of blame for students like this who claim they did all the "right" things. Anyone who was even casually interested in attending law school would have been able to figure out that this was a scam with a modicum of research.

blueapple

Silver

Post by blueapple » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:10 am

Wow, another update from ATL: http://abovethelaw.com/2016/11/faculty- ... for-fraud/

From a source:
The reason Dr. Snyder shut this place down is that he tried to force the deans to admit anybody with a pulse. His words were, and I quote, “Fuck the ABA, fuck the students, I want revenue.” We said, “You know, we’re going to become another Cooley and we’re going to lose accreditation.” He didn’t care. He went to the board of directors about five weeks ago and concocted a story that we were losing incredible amounts of money and we would not in the foreseeable future be able to make up the losses, so we had to shut down.
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:56 pm

“It’s disgusting, and the fact that I’m associated with it makes me sick. I’m not normally the person who would speak out about this, but it’s so egregious that I think the people at Indiana Tech need to be held accountable. As a lawyer who tries to be ethical, I have to speak out about this,” he said, his voice heavy.
Spare me. Any faculty member at that school was a horribly unethical piece of shit. He's just upset the gravy train came to such an abrupt halt.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:50 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote: I really doubt this will spread to schools that are already accredited. I agree that fewer law schools would be a good thing, I just don't think Indiana Tech failing is going to serve as any kind of PR tipping point because currently established schools won't see themselves in Indiana Tech's position. If there are others that are bleeding cash, they may well close, but I don't think accredited/established schools will see the closure of a 4-year-old school in a state that already has 4 law schools and a tiny market (or a bigger one if you count Chicago but then there are many many more competing schools) as having anything to do with them.
I agree with most of this, which is why I said:
Once a few more provisionally-accredited schools do this, maybe some T4s will join in, and then hopefully some TTTs.
...indicating that it would have to be more of a snowball effect. If 3-4 more provisionally accredited schools do it, then you might see one T4 (unranked) jump in. And then you might see 3-4 additional T4. And then you might see a third tier school try it.

As for schools needing to bleed cash to justify it, I think many of them already are.
Last edited by JCougar on Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:54 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
“It’s disgusting, and the fact that I’m associated with it makes me sick. I’m not normally the person who would speak out about this, but it’s so egregious that I think the people at Indiana Tech need to be held accountable. As a lawyer who tries to be ethical, I have to speak out about this,” he said, his voice heavy.
Spare me. Any faculty member at that school was a horribly unethical piece of shit. He's just upset the gravy train came to such an abrupt halt.
Yeah, either the faculty that signed up for work at this school were just playing dumb to the realities their students would face in order to afford their paychecks--or they really were that dumb.

I don't think either scenario makes me feel good.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:39 pm

blueapple wrote:A couple of students interviewed here: http://www.wfyi.org/news/articles/india ... ents-react
“It really is heartbreaking to think that I tried to do everything right, I asked all of the right questions before I came here and committed, and things still went wrong,” Ziffer said.
:?

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Post by Gitaroo_Dude » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:32 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:I obviously blame the schools for their predatory practices, but there has to be some level of blame for students like this who claim they did all the "right" things. Anyone who was even casually interested in attending law school would have been able to figure out that this was a scam with a modicum of research.
Yeah, while I sympathize with them a bit, caveat emptor would seem to loom large here. I don't see how getting a first class recruitment treatment could convince someone that the fundamental red flags the school presented could be ignored.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:35 pm

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:I obviously blame the schools for their predatory practices, but there has to be some level of blame for students like this who claim they did all the "right" things. Anyone who was even casually interested in attending law school would have been able to figure out that this was a scam with a modicum of research.
Yeah, while I sympathize with them a bit, caveat emptor would seem to loom large here. I don't see how getting a first class recruitment treatment could convince someone that the fundamental red flags the school presented could be ignored.
138 LSATers may not be the best at logical reasoning and analysis.
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:44 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
I think it's pretty black and white, and the LSAT score are not as bad as I initially thought: http://law.indianatech.edu/wp-content/u ... t-2015.pdf

I'm just curious why they wouldn't admit more with poorer stats if they knew they were probably gonna fail miserably anyways?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:09 pm

poptart123 wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:
Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
I think it's pretty black and white, and the LSAT score are not as bad as I initially thought: http://law.indianatech.edu/wp-content/u ... t-2015.pdf

I'm just curious why they wouldn't admit more with poorer stats if they knew they were probably gonna fail miserably anyways?
If the inside sources are to be believed that's what the central university was demanding, but the law Dean probably figured if this was going to have any chance for the long haul they had to keep some semblance of standards and admit people with at least a snowball's chance in hell of passing the bar exam. Not that it mattered anyway: according to their last 509 they only received 99 total applications. That's why I don't buy the BS coming from the law school faculty right now. Even if they admitted all 99 they'd still be losing massive amounts of money.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:15 pm

I think they admitted everyone that they could and still couldn't get the numbers. 20 million from 2014-2020 at $20k per year needs hundreds of students per class just to break even.

I just don't think the supply justifies the expectations of hundreds of 130-140 LSAT takers eager to flock to Ft. Wayne Indiana to fork over money. The price point for tuition probably needed to be closer to 40k/50k for this to work. They were aiming to be another Cooley who charges 50k and has massive 500+ person enrollment (and basically cornered the market on subpar applicants).

Basically the administration couldn't even scam successfully.

SolRs

New

Post by SolRs » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:29 pm

Good thing I got them to reimburse me for my LSAT before they announced this.
Last edited by SolRs on Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

LibertyKoko

Bronze

Post by LibertyKoko » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:04 pm

SolRs wrote:Good thing I got them to reimburse me for my LSAT before they announced this. Free money.
You're part of the reason they are 20 million in debt. You ruined those students lives!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:56 pm

They were definitely trying to hold themselves out as an ethical TTT by not charging ridiculous tuition and trying have some kind of admissions standards and that probably contributed to its decline more quickly. If they went full Cooley they would probably still be in business.

crumb cake

Bronze

Post by crumb cake » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:20 pm

Last edited by crumb cake on Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HarlandBassett

Bronze

Post by HarlandBassett » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:37 am

finnandjake2 wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:The feasibility study really is just page after page of comedy gold. At least thank the Dean for that.
+1
i remember this feasibility study like it was yesterday.

RIP Indiana tech law school.

MadJeff

New

Post by MadJeff » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:45 am

Hi, guys

I am thinking over to apply my docyments to one of the Law school ... But my GPA looks toublesome :cry: ... Apparently, it's hardly going with math ... Does anybody of you know whether they are taking into a ccount math points or not?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

zeglo

Silver

Post by zeglo » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:26 am

Last edited by zeglo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joeyc328

Bronze

Post by joeyc328 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:08 pm

Ex-Students feeling bad for the faculty... The guilt is strong here http://www.theindianalawyer.com/indiana ... icle/41913

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:14 pm

Was really hoping to find that this lawl school was located in Pawnee, Indiana.

joeyc328

Bronze

Post by joeyc328 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:33 pm

Look who I decided to google today and appeared...

https://ualr.edu/law/faculty/faculty-me ... -cummings/

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:16 pm

Remember when we told the dean posting here that he was a scammer and he got so offended.

He should have listened to us.

totesTheGoat

Silver

Post by totesTheGoat » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:49 pm

Is it bad that I grew up in Indiana and have never heard of Indiana Tech? I thought it was a joke when I saw the thread title.

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:05 pm

This thread brings back so many memories.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”