Part-Time Law: Stetson and FIU Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
usfvictor

Part-Time Law: Stetson and FIU Law

Postby usfvictor » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:39 am

I'm going to do part-time law at either Stetson or FIU(I'm from FL and want to stay in FL,these two are the only part-time programs in the state worth anything IMO), wanted to get some opinions on it and if there are any TLSers who have taken this route(probably not lol, since 90% of TLSers seem to be T-14 or bust) and have advice/expections on doing so. A lil background, I applied to these schools two years ago, got accepted to both (Stetson gave me 10k/no stipend besides not failing) but decided not to attend as I was just finishing undergrad and wanted some real work experience, plus I knew how terrible the job market was/still is for lawyers. But after two years of WE, I'm ready to go to law school. I feel the best option for me is part-time. I have a family and a good job making good $$ and if i go part-time i don't have to take out loans for COL. The career perspectives from Stetson or FIU aren't gread, but IMO aren't horrible either. So suggestions/comments/concerns are welcome.

P.S. Don't berate for my two choices, I know how TLS can be.

Re: Part-Time Law: Stetson and FIU Law

Postby 20130312 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:41 am

I'm a part time student, feel free to PM questions.

flem

Postby flem » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:07 pm

What's your current job? Do you have something legal lined up afterwards?

usfvictor

Postby usfvictor » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:20 pm

I'm a financial analyst and no don't have anything lined up after law school. My though it to try to transition into a legal role at my current employer(Fortune 500, work at HQ) once I'm in law school. Worked in financial reporting in my previous role(Fortune 100 company), so got to work with General Counsels and Compliance Attorneys and really like the work they do, so that's what i'm shooting for.

usfvictor

Postby usfvictor » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:38 pm

There were a bunch of attorneys at my previous role who weren't T-14's, but the majority had substantial work exp before they got those roles there. I'm hopeful at my current company because they majority of GCs here are also not T-14's so i'm hoping my finance backround can maybe give me a shoe in the door for an in-house gig later on.

usfvictor

Postby usfvictor » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:54 pm

well either way thats my plan lol(to work my way up). thats why i'm going to do part-time. however, the reason is that i love the role that the GC's i've worked with have and that is my goal.

usfvictor

Postby usfvictor » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:57 pm

i'm not looking to go to school and make 100k+ right away and I wouldn't go to stetson unless I got a scholly, which would keep my debt from loans to around 60k and with FIU i'd have debt of around 40k, which is manageable if i don't get a legal job right away as I will still be working full-time in my finance role.

Postby 20130312 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:58 pm

flem wrote:You're a financial analyst for a F500 and you want to go to law school?

Don't be dumb, stay in your current role and work your way up. Florida legal market is saturated and abysmal even at the top of the pecking order.

Well this is awkward...

usfvictor

Postby usfvictor » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:45 pm

flem wrote:
usfvictor wrote:well either way thats my plan lol(to work my way up). thats why i'm going to do part-time. however, the reason is that i love the role that the GC's i've worked with have and that is my goal.

Dude you're not getting GC work without large firm experience first, and these schools don't place graduates into large firms. Not a good move, especially if you're taking loans.

I understand your line of reasoning, but this isn't the right move. Enjoy being debt free and grind away at your current gig. Go to biz school in a year or two.

InGoodFaith wrote:Well this is awkward...

:lol:

'Tis true. We shall see. BUt I don't want to do B-school, i don't dislike what I'm doing but i would much rather practice law in a corporate environment. My hope is to retake LSAT and break 160(scored 156 2 years ago) to get as much scholarship money as possible and minimize debt. And I know I'm not going directly into a GC role lol, but I don't think its right to say they don't place into large firms, they do, its only like 10 people from each of their graduating classes lol but they do.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:34 pm

It's good that you know what you want and have a plan to minimize debt, the only problem is that the current plan will be 95% a waste of time, an I'm being generous with that 5% because of your WE. Trying to balance a stressful FT job and get the grades necessary for biglaw from either school is going to be tough. What I would do is continue to take the LSAT until I get into a T14 where your experience will give you a big leg up.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:44 pm

No offense, but your plan basically is half-assed. I understand your desire to do everything (minimal debt, stay in the area, keep job, etc), but your desire to do everything means that basically everything you do is crap. Go full bore for one thing, don't half-ass both.

Either stick with your current job and commit to it, or commit to the law route and go to a school that maximizes opportunities. By trying to do both at the same time you basically screw yourself on both ends. Pick one and do that, don't try to do both. If you want to go in-house, go to a school where biglaw is the norm. If you're not willing to move, your law plan seems like a bad idea (how many in-house counsel positions, let alone GCs, are in FL?). I understand your desire not to move due to your family, which is perfectly all right. But the reality is you can't have everything. Pick the things that matter to you most rather than trying to do everything.

usfvictor

Postby usfvictor » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:45 pm

I dont see how you get that i will half ass both things since this is a forum where no one knows each other lol, but fair enough. And again im not saying that by going to law school i will immediately become a GC lol, its just that it is an eventual goal far off in the future. I wont be going to any school if its not financially managable, that is why i am looking at one thats affordable with a scholly amd another thats affordable bcuz its in-state. Dont misunderstand me, i know its not UF or FSU, but give me something lol, its not Cooley, Florida Coastal or FAMU. Regardless, i do appreciate the comments since it gives me more to think about.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:57 pm

usfvictor wrote:I dont see how you get that i will half ass both things since this is a forum where no one knows each other lol, but fair enough. And again im not saying that by going to law school i will immediately become a GC lol, its just that it is an eventual goal far off in the future. I wont be going to any school if its not financially managable, that is why i am looking at one thats affordable with a scholly amd another thats affordable bcuz its in-state. Dont misunderstand me, i know its not UF or FSU, but give me something lol, its not Cooley, Florida Coastal or FAMU. Regardless, i do appreciate the comments since it gives me more to think about.

As a Floridian, don't go to those cruddy schools. You have a good job; I'd slit a puppy's throat to be in the position you're in right now.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:00 pm

bk1 wrote:No offense, but your plan basically is half-assed. I understand your desire to do everything (minimal debt, stay in the area, keep job, etc), but your desire to do everything means that basically everything you do is crap. Go full bore for one thing, don't half-ass both.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:43 pm

usfvictor wrote:I dont see how you get that i will half ass both things since this is a forum where no one knows each other lol, but fair enough. And again im not saying that by going to law school i will immediately become a GC lol, its just that it is an eventual goal far off in the future. I wont be going to any school if its not financially managable, that is why i am looking at one thats affordable with a scholly amd another thats affordable bcuz its in-state. Dont misunderstand me, i know its not UF or FSU, but give me something lol, its not Cooley, Florida Coastal or FAMU. Regardless, i do appreciate the comments since it gives me more to think about.

Going to Stetson/FIU is half-assing law school from the start. Cutting your regular career short to go to law school is half-assing your regular career.

WanderingPondering

Postby WanderingPondering » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:50 pm

Is this where you argue and disagree with everyone trying to give you advice until someone tells you what you want to hear?

usfvictor

Postby usfvictor » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:56 pm

I dont think im cutting my regular career short, as I will still be in my career while going to school.

And nope, i appreciate everyones input. I dont need for someone to tell me im 100% right and agree with me. If that was the case i wouldnt have posted to begin with lol

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:58 pm

have you talked to your work to discuss your plans? Maybe they will give you some advice or tell you what they see you doing/ becoming in the future. If you end up going, then its the beginning to network. But I have to ask: HOw are you planning on commuting to work and school? Stetson is in Tampa, and FIU is in Ft. Lauderdale/ Miami area. Depending on where your work is, and where you are living, you are going to have to factor in commute time- and even as a P/T you will have a lot of classes/ and working hours to contend with. Just another thing to think about...

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:59 pm

usfvictor wrote:I dont think im cutting my regular career short, as I will still be in my career while going to school.

Possibly not, but you will be making sacrifices for something that is essentially worthless (and make no mistake, JDs from Stetson/FIU are more valuable as toilet paper than framed on your wall). You'll put all this time into law school and it will either take away from your time at work (to advance your career) or your personal time (which could go to your family). And on the other end you will likely have nothing to show for it.

usfvictor

Postby usfvictor » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:59 pm

However, if anyone wants to give me some tips on managing law school and work im open to that as well lol

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:04 pm

bk1 wrote:
usfvictor wrote:I dont think im cutting my regular career short, as I will still be in my career while going to school.

Possibly not, but you will be making sacrifices for something that is essentially worthless (and make no mistake, JDs from Stetson/FIU are more valuable as toilet paper than framed on your wall). You'll put all this time into law school and it will either take away from your time at work (to advance your career) or your personal time (which could go to your family). And on the other end you will likely have nothing to show for it.

color me shocked someone wouldn't want to listen to you

usfvictor

Postby usfvictor » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:05 pm

northwood wrote:have you talked to your work to discuss your plans? Maybe they will give you some advice or tell you what they see you doing/ becoming in the future. If you end up going, then its the beginning to network. But I have to ask: HOw are you planning on commuting to work and school? Stetson is in Tampa, and FIU is in Ft. Lauderdale/ Miami area. Depending on where your work is, and where you are living, you are going to have to factor in commute time- and even as a P/T you will have a lot of classes/ and working hours to contend with. Just another thing to think about...

My old job was all for it. It was funny because my VP and manager both thought I was crazy for not going to law school and instead was taking the job offer with them( of course they had no idea about how the law job market is lol). I mentioned it in my interview for my current role and they didnt seem opposed and hell i got the job lol, but as time proceeds will bring it up. The commute to Stetson in St.Pete isnt that bad, since its twice a week and once a week in Downtown Tampa(not too far from where i work now). For FIU id have to move the Ft.Lauderdale, but id line up a job b4 doing so and rent my house in Tampa for extra income.

usfvictor

Postby usfvictor » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:08 pm

bk1 wrote:

Possibly not, but you will be making sacrifices for something that is essentially worthless (and make no mistake, JDs from Stetson/FIU are more valuable as toilet paper than framed on your wall). You'll put all this time into law school and it will either take away from your time at work (to advance your career) or your personal time .(which could go to your family). And on the other end you will likely have nothing to show for it.

The family time is what im most worried about. Wife is for it, but i dont know how much shell b for it when i dont see her and the kids for a week while studyin lol and really toilet paper? Lol im sure people on here think the same abt my USF undergrad degree. Appreciate the comments. I completely understand where u guys/gals? are coming from. I can say Stetson isnt worth it at sticker or significant scholly.

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:18 pm

usfvictor wrote:
northwood wrote:have you talked to your work to discuss your plans? Maybe they will give you some advice or tell you what they see you doing/ becoming in the future. If you end up going, then its the beginning to network. But I have to ask: HOw are you planning on commuting to work and school? Stetson is in Tampa, and FIU is in Ft. Lauderdale/ Miami area. Depending on where your work is, and where you are living, you are going to have to factor in commute time- and even as a P/T you will have a lot of classes/ and working hours to contend with. Just another thing to think about...

My old job was all for it. It was funny because my VP and manager both thought I was crazy for not going to law school and instead was taking the job offer with them( of course they had no idea about how the law job market is lol). I mentioned it in my interview for my current role and they didnt seem opposed and hell i got the job lol, but as time proceeds will bring it up. The commute to Stetson in St.Pete isnt that bad, since its twice a week and once a week in Downtown Tampa(not too far from where i work now). For FIU id have to move the Ft.Lauderdale, but id line up a job b4 doing so and rent my house in Tampa for extra income.

People who aren't recent grads don't know shit -- your vp isn't involved in firm hiring.

Most GC's were big law partners...

MichNole19

Postby MichNole19 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:39 pm

Just a couple of things to keep in mind: I have friends at Stetson currently and some who graduated from FIU and have found employment, it certainly is not going to be easy but it is possible. I spent the last 4 years after undergrad working and getting my MBA part-time so I understand what it is like to quit your job to go full-time it’s terrifying. With that being said I’m so glad I did, I think a big part of law school is more than just classes, it’s the networking you can do through class-mates and getting to know your professors and getting involved on campus. Are you planning on keeping your current job if you attend Stetson? If so make sure when considering the Pros and Cons of going part-time/full-time consider the extra time you will spend in Law School (1 year- Opportunity Cost) and the interest on your loans for a longer period (assuming you take out loans for tuition). It might be difficult for you to gain summer employment/ internship/ externship experience if you have a full-time job currently. I wouldn’t count on a paid job over the summer but my friend who is currently at Stetson secured a paid position after her 1L so it is possible. Consider the time commitment on working full-time and going to school part-time. 1L grades are vital so it’s important your able to balance both without letting your grades suffer, you can’t go back.

As far as deciding between the two schools if you do decide the part-time route is for you. Do you want to live in Tampa or Ft. Lauderdale/Miami after graduation? Mostly likely you’ll find a job in close proximity to your school. If price is similar chose the school in a location that you prefer.

Good luck on your cycle, if possible reconsider the full-time option. Apply to other full-time programs in the state, if nothing else it could be used as leverage. For what it’s worth I had 3.40ish GPA /163 and Stetson only offered me $15K a year which made UF/FSU at sticker cheaper. Applications were down last cycle so cast a wide net and then evaluate your options.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”