Should I even ED anywhere with current score?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Easy-E

Re: Should I even ED anywhere with current score?

Postby Easy-E » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:31 pm

Br3v wrote:
emarxnj wrote:
Robespierre wrote:I know I'm very late to the party, but a couple of people got into GULC last year with roughly 3.1/170. GULC's median is down to 169 now so this year presumably some people will get in with 3.1/169. So that might be worth a try ED. GULC definitely gives a small bump for ED. And, depending on your individual circumstances, it might be worth attending without merit aid.

Does anyone know where I can see school's current LSAT median?

I'm going to apply to GULC but sticker there would be pretty terrifying, even with family support. I may just skip the ED, I don't like the idea of being locked into something especially when I have no idea how this cycle may go.

check the median thread

Never even noticed that, thanks br3v.

I'm just looking over my school list, and as far as the schools I don't have fee waivers for, is there any that you would say I have 0% chance at, as in the app fee would be a complete and total waste of cash. I've got them for most schools in my target range, but obviously none in the T14, as well GWU and Fordham who I guess only give need based, which I don't think I'll get (30k a year right now)

UPenn
NU
Michigan
GULC
Fordham
Georgetown
Cornell
GWU

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:18 pm

emarxnj wrote:
Br3v wrote:
emarxnj wrote:
Robespierre wrote:I know I'm very late to the party, but a couple of people got into GULC last year with roughly 3.1/170. GULC's median is down to 169 now so this year presumably some people will get in with 3.1/169. So that might be worth a try ED. GULC definitely gives a small bump for ED. And, depending on your individual circumstances, it might be worth attending without merit aid.

I'm going to apply to GULC but sticker there would be pretty terrifying, even with family support. I may just skip the ED, I don't like the idea of being locked into something especially when I have no idea how this cycle may go.

check the median thread

I'm just looking over my school list, and as far as the schools I don't have fee waivers for, is there any that you would say I have 0% chance at, as in the app fee would be a complete and total waste of cash. I've got them for most schools in my target range, but obviously none in the T14, as well GWU and Fordham who I guess only give need based, which I don't think I'll get (30k a year right now)

UPenn
NU
Michigan
GULC
Fordham
Georgetown
Cornell
GWU

Could be wrong (especially in a down cycle) but I don't see any of the T14s being worth an app with those stats. Maaaaaybe Georgetown? Fordham and GW are worth an application I think (although questionable whether worth actually attending according to a lot of people).

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:53 pm

I don't think the OP has a realistic shot at any T-14. He's below every floor except GULC and NU but even those schools won't dip that low without a 172 or at least a 171. Probably <5% chance even at the lower T-14 based on past cycles. If this cycle is indeed easier then maybe a few apps would be worth a shot - looking at past cycles if OP had just 1 more point on the LSAT suddenly there is a nonzero (but still low) chance. But nobody can predict that with any certainty.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:00 pm

emarxnj wrote:
Br3v wrote:
emarxnj wrote:

check the median thread

UPenn
NU
Michigan
GULC
Fordham
Georgetown
Cornell
GWU

The 169 should get you some merit money at Fordham, if you get in (their aid is still predominantly need based, but what little merit they give is used to buy high LSAT scores).
I think you should apply to all of the schools on that list and hope for the best.
As for any discussion re which are worth sticker, hold off on that until at least April, when you know where you stand.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:36 am

dingbat wrote:
emarxnj wrote:

UPenn
NU
Michigan
GULC
Fordham
Georgetown
Cornell
GWU

The 169 should get you some merit money at Fordham, if you get in (their aid is still predominantly need based, but what little merit they give is used to buy high LSAT scores).
I think you should apply to all of the schools on that list and hope for the best.
As for any discussion re which are worth sticker, hold off on that until at least April, when you know where you stand.

Money at Fordham would be nice, I had always heard they were stingy but I guess no one knows what to expect this cycle. My family is willing and able to put up some of the cost, but I wouldn't feel comfortable putting that whole bill on them. GWU and Fordham are definitely on my list, maybe I'll just apply to Michigan, GULC, Cornell in the T14 to keep the costs down.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:02 am

emarxnj wrote:
Br3v wrote:emar are you retaking OCt?

No, I had intended to but I ended up getting buried with work in August and just never got organized to study again. I know grabbing a few more points on the LSAT would make a huge difference, but waiting another cycle might not be possible. I've asked around applying early and using the December LSAT to (ideally) get me off waitlists, but I'm not sure at this point.

Why are you not sure? This is a big investment. If you can do better retake it. I took it in Dec. and Feb. That Feb. score was by far my best score and got me into HYS while increasing my scholarship packages to full rides at UVA, Berkeley and Penn. I knew that it was going to suck to take it that late and of course I didn't like delaying hearing back from schools but I'd rather do that than have an extra 50k of debt or not go to a school of my choice. If you go up 2 points it makes Penn very realistic or maybe even money at a lower T-14. Surely money at Texas or BU. I think it's worth it.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:06 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
emarxnj wrote:
Br3v wrote:emar are you retaking OCt?

No, I had intended to but I ended up getting buried with work in August and just never got organized to study again. I know grabbing a few more points on the LSAT would make a huge difference, but waiting another cycle might not be possible. I've asked around applying early and using the December LSAT to (ideally) get me off waitlists, but I'm not sure at this point.

Why are you not sure? This is a big investment. If you can do better retake it. I took it in Dec. and Feb. That Feb. score was by far my best score and got me into HYS while increasing my scholarship packages to full rides at UVA, Berkeley and Penn. I knew that it was going to suck to take it that late and of course I didn't like delaying hearing back from schools but I'd rather do that than have an extra 50k of debt or not go to a school of my choice. If you go up 2 points it makes Penn very realistic or maybe even money at a lower T-14. Surely money at Texas or BU. I think it's worth it.

I hear what you're saying. Shit, I've preached the same advise on this forum. As it stands, I'm applying in the current cycle. If I really underperform due to the C&F issues I mentioned earlier, or just don't end up with a deal I like, I'll be looking at the next cycle and an LSAT retake in June or October. I live with and work for my parents, so it's not like I'm just bumming around the house all day, but I don't think I could live at home another year as a 25 year old, so I would have to also consider finding a place to live. Nothing too insane to deal with, just factors. As far as if I can do better on the test, I don't know. I did exceptionally well for me on LR/RC (-1/0/-2) but bombed LG hard (-7). I know what works for me studying-wise, so that would certainly help. Thanks for the response.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”